Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

On 4/7/2024 at 9:30 PM, Abberdaggus said:

While we are on this topic, how do you guys feel about attaching a die roll to some of these more routine actions? E.g. the "tossing the rope" and the "tying the ropes together" actions? Personally I love rolling dice and see how the results influence the turn of events. I listen a lot to the "critical roll" podcast - they are absolutely hillarious. And I've noticed that the GM almost always calls for a die roll whenever the crew takes actions - not to indicate that something is difficult (you get the impression that he usually attaches a low DC to the roll), but to build the story around the chaos that the dice bring to the table. It often evolves into amusing situations and occasionally turns the game in unexected directions. I'd be inclined to ask for rolls even to mundane tasks (especially during encounters where things are often more chaotic), but set a low DC, just to let that occasional natural 1 (and natural 20) add a bit of spice. But I'll tone it down if you find it tedious and annoying to see your well-laid plans screwed up by a few unlucky roll of the dice.

*Observes Cirmaran roll a Nat.1 on a Sailing Lore check to tie 2 ropes together* *Fetches popcorn*...

18 hours ago, Daryk said:

And this is why I'm opposed to rolls for simple actions... :p

Hey, you supplied the roll by yourself, I didn't ask for it.....but I'm glad you did 😉

Besides, one could argue that nothing you do in the heat of battle is simple. I could easily imagine that I would f... up anything I could do in my sleep if I was under pressure.

I love the game Disco Elysium! Never finished it, but not due to a lack of enjoying it. I'd also love to play an RPG system like that, but none exists AFAIK.

Been pretty busy the past couple of days with travel to see the eclipse. It was amazing! Now I'm back home and in a bit of a coma, but alert enough to post in game I think.

By the by, that's not the first natural 1 Cirmaran has rolled in this encounter... still working out what to post IC next... Leaning toward trying again to tie the ropes together...

By RAW, the 'main' character makes the roll, the others assist with Aid checks vs. DC 20. On a crit, give a +2 Circumstance bonus. Only use the highest one.

So in this case, Boradur rolling a 31 means he adds +2 to Cirmaran's roll.

Since Boradur pulled first, it sounds like Cirmaran will be rolling to assist (assuming Boradur doesn't pull it over by himself... the extra leverage for the rope being near the top should help too).