Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

@ifreedman The lower HP are okay, casters aren't supposed to man the front line and tank hits after all. Beware of AoE err... effects though. Casters do not get great saving throws. At the end of the day, it is Boradur's, Cirmaran's and Samrod's job to keep the nasties away from the squishy casters, and Wilder will help them help him in this regard. Out of enlightened self-interest. 😉

As for the remaster, I don't find things to be different on the martial side. Seems like they saw little to fix, and that is a good thing. Remember that the remaster is mostly OGL-debacle caused, with a few fixes thrown in. Like making spell/cantrip damage exclusively die-based instead of caster-stat dependant. Also the whole 'your own casting skill counts for multiclass spells too' thing. Makes multiclassing into a caster class nicer for both caster and martial classes, while making sure the casters maintain their edge there, as they should.

And our party emerged into the Mwangi Expanse in February of 2022. Oh well, only 2 more Dragon Pillars, and maybe a quick trip back to Akrival to resupply before taking on the Fortress of Sorrow (seriously, who names their own home like that? Cultists, man...😏).

And as long as Abberdaggus is on for playing the game, so am I. Our toons have a good chemistry going on, both for synergy in combat and personality wise, and fights are actually fun, no least because Abberdaggus goes out of his way to make them so. Thanks for that! 🙂

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

Thanks!

Yeah, pace is veeeery slow in PbP. The clearing of the mine alone has taken more than half a year! I suspect the last two dragon pillars will probably be relatively easy to take down. You are two levels ahead by now and at this point you have some good ideas of how to handle them.

The +1 resilient chair shirt I have gives +1 to AC and +1 to saves.

But none of this counts, right, because I get +1 defense potency and +1 saving throw potency from the ABP?

So it's basically a plain chain shirt?

@ifreedman Yes, basically count the money for the runes for 'fun stuff' to buy, like Property Runes or wands and staffs. Or splure on some consumables. Now that we no longer have to sell everything to make the money for the mandatory upgrades, we can as well use them on occasion. 😁

@Abberdaggus Well, then let's do it! 😀

@Abberdaggus I'm thinking about taking Trick Magic Item for my skill feat to give me access to some items, scrolls, wands, etc. from other traditions. The confusing thing is that it says the DC is up to the GM.

Is there a general rule that you go by for determining the DC of scrolls, wands and staves using TMI?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ifreedman said:

@Abberdaggus I'm thinking about taking Trick Magic Item for my skill feat to give me access to some items, scrolls, wands, etc. from other traditions. The confusing thing is that it says the DC is up to the GM.

Is there a general rule that you go by for determining the DC of scrolls, wands and staves using TMI?

Generally the DC will be determined by item level or spell rank (whichever is most appropriate) according to this scale. I may decide to adjust the DC slightly up or down depending on circumstances - e.g. if the item is very rare and foreign to you, the DC may be a bit higher, or I may lower the DC if you have used that particular item successfully a few times already. But generally, expect the DC to follow the standard table.

The same reasoning goes in other cases where the DC is left to GM discretion.

Edited by Abberdaggus (see edit history)

OK, I've decided to go with Trick Magic Item for my skill feat. Works decently well with untrained improvisation to make it easier for me to hit the casting DCs. My bonuses still aren't high enough to cast reliably in combat for the most part, but I plan to look through the (massive) spell lists to find good utility spells for wands or scrolls. Wands are 60, 160 and 360gp for levels 1-3. Scrolls are 3, 12, 30 and 70 for levels 1-4.

I still need to pick my class and archetype feats. Ugh. Double checking stuff vs. the remaster (plus RL) means it's taking way too long, but I'm leveled up in all other ways, so don't wait for me.

It also crossed my mind to pick up a rogue feat through my archetype, like nimble dodge (+2 AC as a reaction) or quick draw. Could also go with upgrading the camel, although it's only of limited use if I plan to use him to attack more often.

And before I forget, Time Jump may or may not be his third level spell for this encounter... I'm still working it out with Abber.

Not going to use any 3rd lv. spells until Samrod has a chance to actually learn them. Also thinking about picking Enlarge as a learned spell via scroll. Wand of lv.2 Longstrider would be a sound investment.

But yeah, done levelling.

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Lycar said:

Not going to use any 3rd lv. spells until Samrod has a chance to actually learn them. Also thinking about picking Enlarge as a learned spell via scroll. Wand og lv.2 Longstrider would be a sound investment.

But yeah, done levelling.

Longstrider sounds like a no-brainer, but since it's self-targeted spell, and b/c he usually rides Wednesday, it's not as useful as it sounds.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:24 PM, Daryk said:

Ugh... Nethys has "remastered" the Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind, so I need to ask how my boots work now... :/

They are called Aboreal Boots now - the ignore difficult terrain effect is now permanent, but limited to than generated by plants and fungus. Also, no combined bonus with the cloak anymore. If you prefer the legacy version, I'll be ok with keeping that - call them special Ekujae craftsmanship.

And don't worry about the archetype - I'm sure they will come up with something similar, and until then we keep the legacy stuff.