Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

On 3/10/2024 at 5:46 PM, Lycar said:

If it helps, Samrod is down to 8 arrows (maybe 6, I possibly miscounted somewhere)

FWIW, I have Samrod down to 8 arrows as well! 😉

On 3/10/2024 at 7:04 PM, Daryk said:

As far as resource management, that was honestly one of the things driving Cirmaran to constantly be pushing to go back to the village. Even if we didn't track consumables, regular visits to the village would make sense.

I have not been very diligent about resource management so far, so it is probably unfair to suddenly insist on it in the middle of the jungle. But once you've had a chance to restock, we'll give it a go. Alternatively, you can pick a number, which you think is fair, and we can assume that you have been able to recover enough used arrows to reach that number (normally, arrows are assumed lost when fired).

On a related note: Be aware that there are 10 vine arrows sitting unused on the common loot sheet. May be useful at some point (though not while sitting on the loot sheet...)

So I said I was going to update the loot sheet. But I forgot. Life too busy. Abber, could you update it please, if you haven't done so already. It's only Mon and already the week is killing me.

Wilder is taking the staff.

Cirmaran is taking the bag o' holding.

Maybe Cirmaran and Samrod should split the vine arrows?

5 for each then. Usually, a lv.3 item is 'vendor trash' at our levels. A DC 19 check isn't exactly hard to make. But taking an action away on an Escape Check is a guaranteed action loss, so that is something.

Edit: Should we not cross the river before making camp maybe?

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

Somehow the idea of leveling up has given me a burst of unexpected energy. Also a burst of expected procrastination w/ sorting out financial docs. Sigh.

In any case, I typically hate skill feats. Most of them are pretty mediocre or situational. They usually also require a higher degree of training than I have. I mean, seriously why can't they have some skill feats that have a higher-than-first level prequisite but don't require mastery or expertise in a skill?!?

I have mastery in athletics. Works well for the bola. But the athletics feats are mostly about mobility and movement, which doesn't affect Wilder much b/c he's usually riding Wilder or flying. So they're not useful.

That means I'm prob. stuck w/ a level 1 skill feat.

I already have Bon Mot, Battle Medicine and Intimidating glare.

The ones that seem somewhat-maybe-useful-sometime are:

Distracting Flattery -- if someone else has a bad social roll, this could be useful I suppose.

Reveal True Name -- situationally fun, but prob. won't get much use. Seems like the best use might be on Pendergrast.

No Cause For Alarm -- costly attempt to maybe reduce fear by 1 level, possibly 2

Any suggestions on these, or other suggestions?

One more decision I'm struggling with. I'm looking at Level 8 sorcerer feats. Some excellent choices here.

1. I could go Dangerous Spell for a bit more damage. Cool, but not super flexible and maybe not as much fun, but always useful and free to use.

2. Chaotic spells looks fun and helpful if I encounter resistances to the spells I already have, plus a bit of debuffing to damage spells, in exchange for an action.

3. Crossblooded evolution would let me add a spell from a different school into my repertoir. Could be super useful. But there are SO many spells to choose from, and TBH I'm pretty satisfied already w/ my mix of damage, healing and debuffing. But not much buffing. Totally open to suggestions.

Other suggestions?

Slippery Prey maybe? Very situational, but also very useful in that one situation.

Titan Wrestler, so that the bolas also work against bigger foes.

Now that Wilder has that staff, Charlatan for the spells he can't cast himself?

Otherwise, Lie to Me could be useful, Half-Truths sounds fun.

Recognize Spell is potentially useful.

As for Sorceror, Bloodline Resistance gives a bonus to saves and Energetic Resonance might spell the difference between staying on your feet or not.

As for Samrod, he himself could use Titan Wrestler or Slippery Prey, but seeing that he seems to have a way with animals, maybe I should make it 'official' and take either Train Animal or Bonded Animal? Or Say that Again! now.

Edit: @Abberdaggus Oh and after levelling up, perhaps we can roll again to identify the Ring, Scroll and Jade Figure? You can make secret rolls for Samrod's new +12 Arcana skill maybe?

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

21 hours ago, ifreedman said:

So I said I was going to update the loot sheet. But I forgot. Life too busy. Abber, could you update it please, if you haven't done so already.

It should be up to date now.

13 hours ago, Lycar said:

Edit: @Abberdaggus Oh and after levelling up, perhaps we can roll again to identify the Ring, Scroll and Jade Figure? You can make secret rolls for Samrod's new +12 Arcana skill maybe?

Sure. A failed attempt allows you to make another attempt the next day. I'll roll it up at daybreak.

On another note: I'm off on a long family weekend (and going to the movies tomorrow night (Dune part II - really looking forward to it!)), so I won't be able to make another update until after the weekend. That should give you some time to make any necessary adjustment for level-up.

Thanks @Abberdaggus and @Lycar!

Lycar -- I'll take a look at those feats you mentioned. I actually already have Titan Wrestler -- and you're right, it's great with the bola build. Also, you're right, getting some defensive options really would be good. Energetic resistance might be great. I'm also looking at defensive spells w/ my new spell pickup. Haven't decided yet which one. My HP are pretty terrible, so I want something to keep myself alive.

As for Dune II, enjoy the movie, Abber! I'm also planning to see it tomorrow night! I seriously doubt that we'll be at the same theater, lol. Wanted to watch in IMAX, but we don't have time to drive an extra hour each way to reach an IMAX theater, alas.

FYI, I was trying to figure out if AON has the remaster rules and I came across a tweet from a few weeks ago that says that AON will be updated with the remaster rules tomorrow, March 13th!

Saw Dune Saturday, thought they did a fair job of walking the line between making a watchable movie and capturing Herbert's message. The results will probably piss off some purists, but they probably were going to be impossible to please anyhow.