Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

17 hours ago, ifreedman said:

@AbberdaggusI was thinking of adding them to the LOOT SHEET but I don't want to create any confusion. Can I go ahead an add these (largely un-identified) items?

Edit: Plus I know we have some other items we found, like the potions in the shed, although I don't think we IDed all of those either.

By all means - please do! I believe I have added all items found to the loot sheet (except the ones found just now), but it is true that a number of the items have not yet been identified. Recall that the ones in bold have not yet been identified, the ones in italics are determined to be magical.

17 hours ago, Daryk said:

Well, if anyone asks, Cirmaran could probably spare a few actions to cast Read Aura on them... ;)

Honestly, I hadn't realised that Cirmaran had actually taken read aura - has he ever made any use of it? I didn't mean to demote a spell in your repertoire, and I'd be happy to take a more stringent interpretation of them to make read aura stand out as more useful.

Cirmaran took it at second level, with "Minor Magic". If you want to reduce the casting time of it (it's 1 minute per RAW) or let me take a different cantrip way back then, I'd be ok with that. :)

On 3/7/2024 at 1:30 AM, Daryk said:

Cirmaran took it at second level, with "Minor Magic". If you want to reduce the casting time of it (it's 1 minute per RAW) or let me take a different cantrip way back then, I'd be ok with that. :)

I'd rather not mess with the casting time. The casting time of 1 minute mainly ensures it is not a combat-thing. It is one of the main difference between detect magic and read aura: you can either be imprecise and fast or precise and slow - not precise and fast. I'd be ok with merging the "slow and precise" feature into detect magic or keep it as written to preserve the value of read aura, but I'd rather not dismiss the main tradeoff. If you would like to retro-fit a different cantrip, thats ok with me.

On another note: I have acquired a license to Foundry VTT and I'm playing around with using that to generate maps and keep track of things. It's pretty cool - makes fog of war and lighting issues easier to track and it has all rules (remastered), monsters and items embedded. It also allows me to automatically track loot and equipment. From the beginning I wanted to make resource management (ammunition, food, encumbrance, etc.) part of the game, but I never really got the hang of it. A pity, really, 'cause survival and resource management could have been an interesting challenge in itself. At this point, the jungle expedition part of the adventure is almost over, so it is a bit late to emphasize it now. But going forward, I'd like to see if it can be a bit more central.

If it helps, Samrod is down to 8 arrows (maybe 6, I possibly miscounted somewhere), and getting a magic item of unlimited arrows or anything would actually matter then. Of course, Samrod is still primarily a melee combatant, but I designed him with the capability to be competent at ranged combat too.

You never quite now what party members you end up with in a PbP, and I wanted to be able to cover both. Also why I went with Natural Healing. Wouldn't steal the thunder of an actual healer, but still means he can help patch people up, and the party would not be out of luck if the healer goes down.

But we are still not quite done, are we? Two more Dragon Pillars and the cultist stronghold need taking down still. Of course, now that Samrod acquired both the create water and food spells, survival should not be a matter of scrounging for food. Although he would prefer to prepare more combative spells of course.

If the functionality of Read Aura is simply a part of Detect Magic, I'll give some thought to what cantrip Cirmaran would have taken instead. He was a sailor then...

As far as resource management, that was honestly one of the things driving Cirmaran to constantly be pushing to go back to the village. Even if we didn't track consumables, regular visits to the village would make sense.

Looks like my best option is to move Prestidigitation down to a Minor Magic slot, and memorize something else on a daily basis. Easy enough... :)