Pre Game Huddle

Sovereign Sojourn

Ask character creation and lore questions here. Post your character application within the Character Applications thread group. Offer each other help and advice where it's asked for in order to score bonus points. (do that in here, avoid posting in other people's character threads). Please avoid just asking me "Do you like CLASS X || CLASS Y as a character?" because quite frankly, I barely even care. I am way, way more interested in your writing and in the presentation of your application.

NOTE: The first phase of the recruitment phase only lasts ten days. After those ten days (August 17th, 2023) you cannot apply with a new character thread. All you need to do in that first phase is get a thread up with a name, race, classes and maybe a picture. This is simply to ensure that I receive applications from active members who are frequently checking the Weave. The actual cut-off for completed characters Will be August 27th - another ten days - with an ambition to begin the game no later than August 31st. If I end up seeing the absolute perfect party among the apps, I may slightly push these dates forward, depends on how quickly people work. I don't want to rush anyone too much, but I also don't want to wait too long!

Edited by Sovereign Sojourn (see edit history)

Concept - nagging old woman, team mom, healer, possibly Knowledge expert.

Paladin(ish) of Abadar. With some rather black-and-white, vocal views on civilization (basically Absalom) and civilized people vs. elsewhere and the savages that live there.

Edited by Casual Viking (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Servalfang said:

A lot of the 3pp stuff like spheres seems impenetrable and incomprehensible to me. Is there anything online I can view that might make it easier to understand?

I'll admit, I am not the greatest expert of Spheres myself, I just like the kinds of characters it produces. I have found this video to be incredibly helpful in understanding the foundations of the system, including the proper framework for thinking about spheres properly.

The basic concept at the core of the system is the casting tradition, built with drawbacks, boons and spheres. There are about 20+ something Spheres, and each Sphere has a core ability for you to choose. For example, the core ability of the Shield Sphere is Active Defense. Then, each sphere has multiple "Talents" which let you augment, enhance, and expand the way you use a sphere. You then can use boons and drawbacks to further alter the power. Each class tends to give you one free Sphere at 1st level.

The end effect is that you can build a spell caster or a martial character with abilities that you design by hand; this system let's you build highly specialized casters who give up versatility in exchange for focused power that doesn't usually run out the same way a traditional wizard runs out of spells. If you wanted to build a character who can always toss lightning, or conjure fire, spheres lets you really hone in on that idea. The abilities you have are ones you design yourself, you decide what drawbacks limit your casting and in what ways you can empower yourself further. It's more work, but it's much more niche and gives you ultimate control over designing your spellcasting.

I would say it "feels" a little bit like Path of War, where you have a short list of signature moves, only you design those moves instead of just selecting them from a list. It also reminds me a bit of Mutants and Masterminds, where you design powers using different drawbacks. You can decide if your powers take time to charge, or are unreliable, or require a recharge after use, or drain your hit points, and then YOU add the additional flavour and story for that power.

The role of the Classes in Spheres is almost entirely about changing, augmenting, regulating your character's specific use of multiple spheres. For example, the Warden, a protective class that gets the Guardian Sphere for free at 1st level, also has an ability at 3rd level that modifies how he uses the Guardian Sphere's core ability, Patrol. It reads, "At 3rd level, the warden no longer requires having his martial focus when using his patrol ability of the Guardian sphere. Additionally, when the warden would use his patrol ability while he has martial focus, he may treat his warden level as his base attack bonus for the purposes of the increased threatened area." Another example would be the Elementalist, a class that specializes in the use of the Destruction Sphere, and also has an augment at third level that let's the Elementalist deal extra damage when using a specific blast type from the Destruction Sphere. This is where you get your hyper-focused Pyromancer or lightning-mage.

Watch the video and let me know where that leaves you.

EDIT: This is the same user showing how he builds out the X-men mutant Storm using the system.

Edited by Sovereign Sojourn (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Servalfang said:

Here's an idea. If I were a summoner and a Spheres wraith, could I possess my own eidolon?

I mean... I think so? I would need to do some deep reading about that one but I don't see why not, as long as the Eidolon is a legal target for the spell or ability.

2 hours ago, LDDragon said:

Are advanced talents from Spheres of Power and Legendary talents from Spheres of Might allowed?

Are custom traditions allowed, martial and spherecasting ones?

I'm going to say that advanced and legendary talents are not available at this level, but I would probably allow them after the game begins starting at lvl 4.

Yes, you may create a custom tradition. Just please make sure you are following all of the rules correctly! :)

43 minutes ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

I'm going to say that advanced and legendary talents are not available at this level, but I would probably allow them after the game begins starting at lvl 4.

Yes, you may create a custom tradition. Just please make sure you are following all of the rules correctly! :)

Ok cool, thanks for the reply! 😀

With races being up to 16 Rp, Would you consider allowing us to add existing alternate race traits to bump it up. Most have the RP cost in the alternate race traits.

So an elf is 10 Rp, and add the darkvision alternate trait increasing the RP to 12 Rp etc.

Blended View (2 RP): Prerequisite(s): low-light vision. Half-drow whose non-drow parent had low-light vision might be blessed with a legacy of versatile senses. Characters with this trait keep their low-light vision but also gain darkvision to a distance of 60 feet. Elves can take this trait in place of keen senses.

Or if a race is above 16, remove some RP to bring it down to 16.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)