Chapter 2: Exhumation

Whitleyrr

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

In that moment it becomes very clear who and what Vadim is all about. More dots are connected, that he too is looking for the jewel. Quite the method to go about retrieving it, she can only wonder what he would've done had she ever brought the amulet. Would he have simply pocketed it after their tryst and left, or would he have killed her as he did her husband?

However, the question lingers on whether the ghouls are with him, or are part of some third party, perhaps not related to their search, but at this point best to assume that all other threats are in competition. After all, it would be far too simple to assume there was but one rival.

At this point, Jozelle is standing outside of Lady Ittia's eyesight, behind and to the side having admired some art on the wall. Now though, she stared unblinking at the others. It's a bit unnerving as her darker nature is there just out of the barieving widow's gaze. She waits to see what, if anything, the others wish to divulge. Do they tell her the truth, and with it the request for the amulet should they succeed, or is it best to keep it a secret?

She does not know the right answer.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade

Alban and Cordelia had agreed to discuss the amulet with Lady Ittia should the appropriate opportunity arise, and it was promptly served to them on a silver platter. Cordelia shot a sharp glance in Alban's direction, seeking his silent approval to proceed with their intentions. Turning her intense gaze back to meet Lady Ittia's hollow eyes, she continued.

"There is no doubt in our minds that you were bewitched, and we believe the captain was aware of this fact as well. Would you give us permission to question his men? Perhaps Dalin and Jozelle could speak with them? They may be aware of your husband's inclinations towards Vadim and may not divulge information so easily without your permission." Cordelia nodded to the two women, noting their discomfort with the present situation. Perhaps their direct methods of questioning would be better suited for the guardsmen rather than the fragile Lady Ittia.

The moment had come when they would finally reveal their reason for coming to Hethton. Cordelia hesitated, unsure of how Lady Ittia would react to their revelation. And although Cordelia believed that complete transparency was always the best policy, she often cherry-picked which truths should be shared. Sure, it was a form of manipulation, but it would not be as though she was lying.

"Everything you've just said confirms the suspicion we've had all along. It confirms Vadim's motive for preying upon you. You see, Vadim seeks the very same amulet that we were employed to find, the very reason why we have come to Hethton."

"The amulet is no ordinary piece of jewellery, but rather is told to have magical properties. Please understand...we were completely unaware of the circumstances surrounding the amulet when we received this task. We hoped it would be a simple task of purchasing it from its owner, but regrettably.... the amulet now rests twenty feet beneath the earth with your husband." Her voice trailed off as she let the revelation hang in the air, allowing Lady Ittia to process the information.

For now, she did not want to unveil what the amulet could do. Alistair had been extremely clear with his instructions not to use it without him. And while the potential of speaking with her husband as a form of closure could be a bargaining chip, it could also cause her to take the amulet and try to use it herself. At the very least, Vadim had been jailed during the captain's burial and would be unaware of the amulet's location for the time being. Cordelia felt reassured that they were in the right place, thinking that Vadim would likely come to Lady Ittia in search of the amulet now with the captain gone. She looked to Alban, seeking his approval once more and leaving the door open for him to pursue the conversation further should he wish.

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban nodded approval towards Cordelia. Lady Ittia had unveiled the truth without prompting, and just like that they had a way in. It seemed he would not be disappointed in his journey for revenge, for it was entwined with their task wither the others wished or not.

"I suspect from what you had told us of Uriah's words, he knew the jewellery's value as well," he added "Vadim's motivations underline your victimhood - a matter I suspect the late Captain understood, and the reason why he sought to confirm your vows rather than blaming you." It cost him little to offer some comfort to the woman, especially since she was now likely to meet further trauma at Vadim's hands. The man would have seen as well as they the object desired around his neck during the duel, and may well suspect its new location. "You should make sure you keep your guards close, but do not attempt to hide anything from King should he come - he cannot take what you do not have. We have seen what he can wreak when angered and the secret of its location is not worth your life when so easily revealed otherwise."

"Though, Cordelia," he continued - worry spreading across his face as if with sudden revelation, "What if Vadim somehow knows the late Captain was buried in his finery? Lady Ittia was not the only person he charmed as he may have had others looking out. We should perhaps hurry to the graveyard to ensure his rest has not yet been disturbed. He was buried deep against the predations of simple ghouls, but that may not suffice for greater monsters..." He spared a glance towards Dalin and Jozelle, with their skills in both woodcraft and deception before death. If they beat Vadim there, perhaps an ambush would be an alternative. With their guidance he could construct an illusion across part of the graveyard for them to burst forth from.

OOC

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin's thoughts were ambling in all sorts of directions. First, there was talk of her and Jozelle chatting up some guards. Probably just wants me out of the room... every time I open my mouth the lady sobs. Still, there were things the dwarf wanted to know before rushing off to the graveyard, even if it had been her suggested action before coming here.

With a gentle tap of her walking stick on the ground, Dalin re-entered the conversation, clearing her throat and trying to make her voice softer. She glanced at Alban. "We probably have a bit of time... got word from a friend before coming inside that it was quiet at the graveyard."

"Um... Lady Ittia. It might help if you could answer a couple more questions? If King fled... he might have gone into the woods, could you give some kind of directions to where he took you?

And, while maybe not related, what do you know about the ghouls in town? If we're heading to the graveyard, best to be prepared."

Ittia nodded along with the companions as they spoke and seemed to indicate she followed their logic. Only the thousand yard stare on her face hinted that she was beyond her emotional threshold for one day.
“Vadim never came here. When we…when we would…we went often into the forest.” She described where their trysts would take place and Dalin immediately fixed a mental location on the map contained inside her head. “You mean all he wanted was that silly jewel? He could have had it for the asking and none of this would have come to pass! Why all this this, then!? Why all this!?” She rose and walked towards a window, gazing out. Silence followed her for a moment. When she turned around again she said, “I am confident I am quite safe here. Uriah’s men are most loyal and veterans of conflict. I don’t know anything about ghouls save that they’ve been spotted recently. It’s why we buried Uriah so deep. Why he had to be. They can’t dig that deep. They…they mustn’t.”

Despite her empathy for Lady Ittia, Cordelia could hardly hide her discouragement as a sigh slipped passed her lips. They had reached the point in the discussion where Lady Ittia would not reveal any more useful information. Cordelia exchanged a knowing glance with Alban, recognizing that further pressing would only cause more grief than good. She projected her voice into his thoughts"Well, this has been less revelatory than anticipated. Lady Ittia seems to be safe enough, so what's our next move?", seeking guidance, her tone betraying her dissappointment.

Cordelia nodded in approval as Dalin acquired the description of the location of interest from Lady Ittia. "It's always wise to be prepared. A quick chat with the guardsmen before we leave might yield valuable insights, especially if they've had encounters with these ghouls."

Rising from her seat, Cordelia stepped forward to comfort Lady Ittia. "Why all this happened is precisely what we are trying to work out. Once we unravel this mystery, perhaps we will provide you with the clarity you need to find closure."

However, a perplexed expression marred Cordelia's face at Lady Ittia's cryptic final words. "I apologize if I've missed something, but I'm not quite sure I understand. We've already heard about the ghouls desecrating graves and the rising dead. Is there some additional danger lurking below that we should be aware of?" She was eager to gain any further insights into the situation.

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

When the Lady answered Dalin's questions, Dalin nodded silently in thanks. "Be careful Lady and don't be so hard on yourself." She shifted her weight again, from one foot to the foot, glad the woman had stopped sobbing, but now feeling the well of information she could offer was drying up. The dwarf was ready to go.

The dwarf took a step towards the door, but turned to wait as Cordelia continued to speak.

She slid elvish woman a quick glance. Dalin wasn't sure about the "rising dead", it just seemed so from what some of the animals had said. Course, where else could the ghouls be coming from...? Not taking a caravan, that's for sure. 

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban replied with silent affirmation. "No need to push her to breaking point, she's punishing herself enough as is."

Out loud he reassured her instead "Well if you're sure of your guards, then we'll leave you in their care. Though as Cordelia says, any insights they can offer into fighting such monsters would be welcome. Whilst staying in this town it seems apt to be prepared for the worst. "

He to set aside his refreshment and rose from the brocaded furniture to take his leave, joining his companions by the door. The appropriate guardsmen shouldn't be too difficult to find so protectively did they huddle around their queen. Though it would not do to dally too much if they wished to lay a trap he felt, no matter Dalin's furred and feathered reassurances.

OOC

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Lady Ittia didn’t answer Cordelia for a moment, but then said, “No, it’s just that we buried him that deep so they’d not get at him. As far as I know, the ghouls are not very intelligent creatures. Opportunistic desecrators. If there is easier, more accessible prey…I am unsure about fighting them. For that, speak with Donati, Uriah’s man. He’s outside.”

She seemed tired, no, exhausted by the day’s efforts. The Companions were ill at ease to leave her, but she was surrounded by Uriah’s loyal men. No sooner did they think that than they recalled the scene at the jail. But perhaps that had caught the guards by surprise. They were ready now, for anything Vadim might try. It occurred to them that they did not know which was the worse: that the object of their search lay in deeply dug grave, or that one day soon they would have to face their fear in a confrontation with Vadim?

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

With some not-very-well-hidden relief at being given an exit from the sorrowful woman, Dalin edged further toward the door. To her companions she spoke, "Ah, ok... I'll head outside and try to rally him up. Join me when you can...?"

An awkward movement, something between a nod and curtsy was directed toward Lady Ittia as the dwarf backed out of the door. "Thanks for the help. It's gloomy now, but someday, you'll find yourself standing in the sun and smiling. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday." It probably wasn't the right thing to say, she knew that. She stepped quickly from the room... just in case it sent her into tears again.

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

"You have a most lovely home. Again, I am sorry for your loss." Jozelle tries to find the right words to be polite, though it is more of a mental exercise than an empathetic one. She knows it is the right thing to say.

She nods to both Alban and Cordelia as she follows Dalin out the door. Speaking to the guards should be a simple and straightforward enough matter. The only trick is to not tip her hand any more than she already has.

It is one thing to be a young, naive, would-be adventuress with a good eye. It is another for them to discover that she likely could kill any one of them, especially if they don't see her coming. A little competence is one thing, too much is dangerous to share.

She begins to softly hum.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

Outside the chamber where they met with Lady Ittia, Dalin and Jozelle found several soldiers near to front doors. They inquired after Donati and were pointed in his direction. He was a shorter man than they might have guessed, with dark, curly hair cropped short over his ears. Hie eyes, nearly black, took them in with a professional gaze. He had a thick, dark moustache, neatly trimmed, as well as substantial sideburns. Donati wore leather armor, with a curved blade of some length at his side. Jozelle admired the number of knives she saw bedecking his attire as well. This was a man who knew his business; everything about him breathed death.

They greeted him and he spoke in the clipped responses of soldiers. Not a word was wasted. But it did turn out that he knew more about the ghouls than they did. He suspected there were more of them than any of the townspeople guessed. “They move in packs, like dogs. Just as easily ten as one.” He guessed that they had a nest near the graveyard somewhere, dug out of the ground, but he and his men had thus far been unable to find it. They were still looking. “It’s possible it’s dug deeper. Most ghoul nests are near the surface, but I’ve seen ‘em deeper before. Rare, but it happens.” He suggested that they were immune to certain magics. “Can’t charm ‘em, gotta kill ‘em.” He added, “And you caint poison ‘em neither.” Jozelle wondered if his eyes lingered on her a second longer as he said that, but it was probably just her imagination. “Unless you know where the nest is, you’ll never find ‘em during daylight. Hunt at night. We’d help you, but we’ve got to stay close to the Lady just now. Good luck. Best news is, they bleed and die just like you and I.”

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

For Dalin, it was nice to talk to someone who spoke so plainly, so directly. And so, she responded in kind, "I got just two more questions. Well, three."

"First one... these ghouls have been at some of the graves, yes? What are they doing... like... snacking and leaving a mess, or, have the disturbed corpses disappeared entirely?" The dwarf was obviously trying to confirm if the dead were becoming ghouls or just victims to them.

"Second... what's your best theory for what happened down at the jailhouse with King?"

"Third... " Dalin glanced to the ground. "I'm trying to help. I want to help, but all I have to fight with is my walking stick." She lifted it into the air with a light swing. At best, it would act as a make-shift club. "I know weapons. I usually carry a battleaxe or sword when on the job, but I didn't bring one on this trip... didn't think I'd need one. So, I don't suppose... I could get a loaner?"

Perhaps the last few days had taken more of a toll on her than she had thought, as it seemed she had misunderstood Lady Ittia's words. Too proud to admit her misunderstanding, she brushed her embarrassment aside like sweeping crumbs under a carpet, Cordelia stepped towards Lady Ittia, offering her hand in a gently reassuring handshake. She thanked her for her time and apologized once more for the distress their questions had caused. "Unfortunately, today's developments have forced us to change our plans. However, I would like to meet with you again, Lady Ittia, once all of this is over, if you agree. It would please me to hear more about your life and the story of how you and your husband met and came to be."

With that, Cordelia joined her companions at the door, slipping her arm into the crook of Alban's arm, and bid the lady her farewells. She followed behind the two women, allowing them to take the lead in speaking with the guardsmen. They were likely better suited for this task anyway. Donati offered them some new information, which Cordelia could have done without – ghouls moving in packs like dogs? The thought was unsettling, causing her to recoil.

The rest of Donati's information only confirmed what Jozelle had already told them previously. She looked to Donati for confirmation, seeking clarity. "So... we don't need to do anything special like burning them, removing their heart, or destroying their brain? As long as they receive enough physical damage to their bodies, they will die?" Cordelia didn't know if her questions were naive, but it wasn't as though dealing with ghouls or any kind of mystical beast was a common occurrence.

Cordelia nodded vigorously in agreement with Dalin's second question. With Donati stating that ghouls could only be found at night, it seemed unlikely that they had anything to do with Vadim's escape from the jailhouse. So what would his theory be regarding that matter?

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Prior to their departure, Lady Ittia agreed to meet with Cordelia again. She seemed to like the courier and felt comfortable in her presence.

Donati nodded at Dalin's questions. He approved of the dwarf and her practical mind. "More like snacking and leaving a mess. The bodies, what was left that is, were all still there. As for what happened to King, your guess is as good as mine. He broke out, that's for sure, but whether he had help or somehow did all that himself, I have no clue. My money's on help of some sort. No one does all that by themselves. And it weren't ghouls neither. None of them poor sods were eaten." He looked around and lowered his voice. "The thought has crossed my mind it was some kind of inside job. But who is the question. Be careful who you trust."

At Dalin's request for a weapon, he made a gesture to one of his men who disappeared somewhere else for a bit and then returned burdened by a handful of deadly implements. He laid the out on a nearby table for her to inspect. Donati said, "Take yer pick, lass." The guard had brought forth a short sword, a long sword, and two axes. One was short hafted with a wide blade on each side of the haft; the other had a longer haft, and a single, narrow blade at the top. All seemed to be made with quality and care.

When Cordelia asked Donati about the special considerations she had thought of for the ghouls, he remained silent for a moment, as if to assess...something. Then his face twitched subtly, and he threw his head back and laughed. "Yep! That would do the trick for sure, miss. But it might be a bit...much, don't ya think? I've found if you just take one of these," he pointed to his sword, "and stick the pointy end in them, they die. Begging your pardon, miss." He looked embarrassed at having poked a bit of fun at Cordelia, but he couldn't help himself. He looked back at Dalin perusing the weaponry. "When ya get one picked out lass, do us a favor. Stand in front of this one if things go sideways," he said, jerking a thumb in Cordelia's direction.