Chapter 2: Exhumation

Whitleyrr

Once Dalin had finished explaining her findings and concerns, the group opened the door and stepped inside the small notary’s office. A halfling woman sat behind a small desk, pince-nez glasses gripping her formidable nose. Gray hair ran down her back in a thick, somewhat kempt braid. Bushy eyebrows arched above bright blue eyes as the companions entered, and she set down her quill in it’s stand and straightened the documents on which she had been working.

“Greetings and salutations friends! I am Shipley Troon, notary public for Hethton. How may I help you on this,” her voice dropped and her face screwed up in what the companions couldn’t be certain wasn’t a theatrical grimace, “I mean, in the midst of life we are in death. What can I do for you? A will? Day of a funeral, very popular day to set your own affairs in order, no?” She reached for a clean sheet of parchment and retrieved her quill.

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade

Cordelia found reassurance in the women's words. They were right; the presence of guards throughout the town, some of whom had served under the late Captain, meant they weren't alone in facing the mysteries that haunted Hethton. Her determination, which had wavered, was rekindled anew. "Alright then," she replied, her voice carrying a renewed sense of purpose.

With a gentle hand, Cordelia pushed open the door to the notary's office and was greeted by a halfling woman named Shipley Troon. "Good day, Notary Troon," Cordelia greeted with a polite smile.

Notary Troon seemed prepared to begin the customary proceedings, but Cordelia forestalled her with a graceful gesture. "Thank you, but there will be no need for that," she began, her tone carrying an air of authority. She reached into her purse and retrieved a certificate, its official embossed seal shimmering in gold. Cordelia slid the certificate across the counter, a motion that came to her naturally. "My name is Cordelia Nightshade, Court Secretary to the Directors of Trade and Foreign Lands of Glammer. I'm here on official business that requires the utmost discretion."

She paused, allowing Notary Troon to read her certificate and grasp the importance of the situation. "I require access to the wills of all citizens of Hethton," Cordelia continued, nodding towards her three companions. "My associates will assist me in searching through them. Admittedly, it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. However, Hethton is not a large town, so perhaps you may recall notarizing a document related to a long-lost family heirloom, which I am in pursuit of." Cordelia deliberately withheld the exact nature of their search until she was certain of Notary Troon's cooperation. She had learned from experience that not everyone could be trusted, and she had no desire for rumors about their quest to spread prematurely.

Dalien

Dalin 

AC: 14 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin never thought she'd see in the inside of a notary office. Nor, come to think of it, ever drafted to read a bunch of documents within one. It was quite the turn from scrambling around on her hands and knees talking to chipmunks.

She composed herself, trying to be patient. While not necessarily looking forward to the task, Dalin was amused by the sudden change of occupation. She stood near the back of the group, closest to the door, hiding her grubbiness behind the others.

She listened to Cordelia. She really has a way with words... a way with people. The dwarf glanced at Alban. They been playing at courting for the crowd, but I wonder if there's anything to it... maybe I'll ask Jozelle what she thinks later... or, maybe I'll just ask the happy couple.

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

After Cordelia’s introduction, Shipley Troon’s whole bearing changed. She sat straighter in her chair, pushed her previous work off to the side right and proper, and gave her undivided attention to the courier and her companions.

“Quite right, Mistress Nightshade!” She said, enthusiastically. “I shall be very glad to assist you in this matter and, of course, maintain all confidentiality. Goes with the territory, it does. Your…readers…though,” she glanced disapprovingly at Dalin in particular, but Jozelle and Alban were not spared her withering gaze, “would you not rather I assist you personally? I am familiar with these documents and these fine folk could go and enjoy the festivities. What’s left of them that is.”

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Cordelia's lips curved into a satisfied smile as she observed Notary Troon's reaction. It aligned perfectly with her expectations. The notary's initial hesitation regarding her companions' involvement was predictable, but it had been worth attempting to engage them. Cordelia valued transparency with her comrades, and their assistance would ensure she wasn't delayed for her crucial rendezvous. She briefly glanced back at the others before returning her attention to Notary Troon. "Certainly," she replied warmly. "Confidentiality is a two-way street, and your caution is entirely justified. I appreciate your willingness to assist."

Cordelia turned her attention back to Jozelle and Dalin, nodding towards them to convey that she had the situation in hand. Slipping seamlessly into her role, she approached Alban, placing a delicate hand upon his arm. The scent of blackberry and lavender perfume filled his senses as she leaned closer, gently pressing her cheek against his. She sent a kiss through the air and spoke in a low, dulcet tone. "I won't be too long, darling." Her voice suddenly echoed in his mind "I'll meet you at Lady Ittia's once I'm finished. Feel free to explore with the ladies in the meantime, and if I happen to be running late, I know you're more than capable of covering for me until I arrive.", though her lips remained still as she addressed him, an odd yet pleasant experience.

With the others now departed, Cordelia settled across the counter from the halfling notary. "Do you happen to have a more private room where we can converse?" She lowered her voice, adopting a more discreet tone. "I'd rather not risk unwanted eyes and ears stumbling upon our discussion." Cordelia's request emphasized the need for secrecy in their exchange.

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

Jozelle nods her head once in understanding, and steps back and exits the building. Whether Dalin, Alban, or both join her, her head rolls over their way. "Shall we enjoy the festivities, walk amongst the uncertainty and sorrow of these fine people, or do you have other plans? I am at your disposal."

Jozelle is many things, but one thing she is not is much a leader. Trained her whole life to obey, even being here is as much initiative as she's ever shown in her young life. So many moving parts, so many concerns, when pointed in a clear direction the assassin can strike with precision. Now though? She turns to her companions for some sort of guidance, for a compass on where to move next.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban raised a manicured eyebrow to Dalin's Snow White story, but with the strange events of late, who was he to question such abilities. Still, he had not pegged the wagoner for a practitioner, and wondered what tales lay beneath such.

He grasped Cordelia's arm firmly, as if to convey his strength to her will. "No, I've no intention of leaving til this has seen through, moreso with the natures of what we've found." Alban stated with conviction. "I don't seek any redemption from this act" - blood soaking into pine briefly flashes before his eyes - "but as you said before Cordelia, it seems this amulet is a nexus for dark forces, swirling over this town and drawing them in. I cannot believe it coincidence that such an artefact that breaks the veil it found amongst other transgressions and transgressors. We have the guards as our shield, as is only their duty."

Within the confines of the notaries office it seemed Cordelia's confidence had returned. The familiarity of such an environment and the ward of her power within perhaps, Alban mused. Certainly he found it remarkably steadying when he had claimed his birthright. He understood, of course, the notary's request for discretion, however the implication that a noble such as himself would not observe such was rather bitter (irrelevant to its accuracy). His face drew tight and haughty under the notaries glare, the corvid silhouettes across his clothing taking sudden flight, and he returned in clipped tones "House Stuart holds its word, and my honour would not see my act otherwise. If I offered confidentiality, it would bear true." The melodious tone of Cordelia rolled through his mind in a delightfully intimate fashion, softening his expression. Her dismissal was a different matter to that of the notary, and he added generously, "However I'm sure you did not mean to imply otherwise, as I thank you for offering dear Cordelia your no doubt expert assistance in this matter." With a lingering touch he departed, to join Jozelle and Dalin the the street.

"I appreciate the offer, Jozelle," Alban replied offhandedly, as if it were the most natural reaction that service would be rendered. "Perhaps we should seek out the guards, as Dalin and yourself had suggested, though I'm unsure how we will convince them to act." He turned to Dalin with curious eye "I had not realised you were a practitioner?" he inquired, "though with the recent reputation given to sorcery I would worry for cries of witchcraft."

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Dalien

Dalin 

"Who, me? Nah, I don't... ah practice. I just got a way with animals. I don't quite understand it myself." The dwarf shrugged and quickly spun the topic to their next task.

"Guards... yah, could follow up with them. Even if they don't do anything... just knowing has gotta help. I think there's a guardhouse in that direction. She gestured down the street.

And, maybe not today, but I wouldn't mind talking to the undertaker too. I think that fellow knows more about what's going down in town than most folks..."

At the Notary’s…

Notary Troon’s smile relaxed into a more natural way once the others had left and she led Cordelia back behind the desk to a different office that had a long table surrounded by four stout chairs. One chair was noticeably higher than the others, an accommodation to the Notary’s diminutive height. “Right this way, Courier. I can recall three will bequeathing family heirlooms to descendants, three that I have notarized in my time here anyway. I’ll be glad to show them to you. What is this heirloom? Perhaps if I knew what I was looking for…?”

Outside in the street…

The other three companions ambled idly through the street to bide their time. Alban stewed. Jozelle drifted in and out of a daydream. Dalin noticed where the street had fallen into disrepair and would be hell on an axle. But all three perked up at the same time as they rounded a corner and heard a commotion: the sound of booted feet running through the street. A column of twelve or fourteen town guards were jogging across the street, dressed in banded armor with short swords strapped through their belts and spears in their hand. They were headed northwest.

Following Notary Troon into the private office, Cordelia couldn't help but feel a touch of embarrassment. It was ironic that she now found herself separated from the group, considering how she had stressed the importance of staying together due to the lurking dangers in town. She took a seat beside the notary, her hands clasped delicately in her lap.

Notary Troon's revelation that she knew of three wills containing a family heirloom brought a faint smile to Cordelia's lips. What were the odds that one of these three wills might hold the amulet they sought? Of course, there was also the possibility that the amulet had been lost over time or buried with its previous owner.

Cordelia cleared her throat, her tone tinged with a touch of uncertainty. "You give me hope, yet I cannot help but fear that perhaps the heirloom has been lost to time and not passed down through generations," she admitted with a touch of sadness. She leaned in slightly, her gaze unwavering as she continued, "My employer is searching for an amulet crafted from reflective black volcanic glass, set in gold, and suspended from a gold chain. Can you recall notarizing such an item?" Cordelia's icy blue eyes bore into the halfling woman as she eagerly awaited her response.

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin 

"Hunh..." Dalin's hazel eyes tracked the movement of the guards.

Without further utterance, Dalin started to follow the troop of town guards. It was an instinct. Something was going on, and she was curious. She glanced back at Jozelle and Alban.

"Come if you want... or I'll come back to the notarty after I find out what's happening."

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

"It appears we'll be following up with the guards more literally than I intended," Alban added dryly, allowing himself to be swept up in their wake. Beneath his skin, he felt his blood thrum as his power anticipated its need. "If there is trouble, Cordelia may be thankful to miss it," he continued largely to himself, "though perhaps a warning is warranted." As he finished speaking a gesture in the direction of the notaries office resulted in a sudden explosion of soundAction: Cast Minor Illusion (Cantrip). The tolling of a church bell rolled forth - traditional for town alarms though he was unsure if Hethton had ever used such - followed by an authoritative cry of "Guards! Northwest!"

He quickened his pace such that his cloak flared behind him, without actually breaking into the indignity of a run, as he hastened after his companions though the empty streets.

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

Jozelle finds herself interested in what the guards are up to, though lacks the same level of curiosity. For her it is much like a morning breeze, just another flavoring of the day. And yet, the others see more in it, see themselves involved, and she is trying to learn from all of them in her own way.

She follows suit, lagging a little behind, keeping her eyes on her surroundings as she does so, less so on the guards themselves. She trusts Dalin and Alban to be able to do that.

'What manner of trouble do these men face? Is it a ghoul or this Vadim King, or has yet another curse befallen Hethton? I can only wonder what will be left of the town by year's end? It was not be the same, the happy town a fleeting memory. replaced with loss, fear, and perhaps even death.'

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: Peception on surroundings as they go
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

Name
Perception
1d20+3 9

Dalien

Dalin 

Dalin fell into to a light jog to keep up with Alban and Jozelle. Her legs were stout, but seemingly tireless, more evidence of her extraordinary good health. However, with a sudden dawning of where they were headed, her attention wavered and she stumbled over some loose stone. She caught herself by planting her walking staff into the ground. She hesitated several steps, letting the humans move ahead.

"We're... we're heading toward the jail." As much as she wanted to see Vadim again, there was an equal amount that did not. She both hated and loved how he made her feel and she wasn't sure which side of the coin she would find herself if she saw him again.

She dropped into a walk, now caution matching her curiousity and silently grateful that her short legs would not allow her to be the first to arrive at the scene.

At the Notary’s…

Notary Troon stopped looking through files when Cordelia described the jewel. Slowly, she put the papers she had withdrawn away and turn to face the Courier. “Ah, that one. Not bequeathed, no. But it is named in a registry of valuables, belonging to Captain Uriah and the Lady Ittia.” She shuffled through some more papers and files, “Here we go! As you described, almost precisely, a jewel of pure obsidian, set in a golden socket measuring three inches tall by one and a half inches wide. The chain is not listed but I am sure it what you seek.” She looked dup, sternly, over her pince nez glasses, “Terrible timing, though, to be troubling the Lady Ittia about her jewels. Who did you say you worked for, again?”

Outside the jail…

Dalin, Jozelle, and Lord Alban jogged onto the street containing the jail behind the column of men. The guard had spread out in a semi-circle around the front of the jail and another detachment of men had moved around the side and back. Somewhere an alarm bell sounded. With dawning horror, the three companions’ eyes swept the scene to take in the town guard, the jailhouse door which was hanging from one hinge, and the corpses of two armed men near the door. The bodies were destroyed. Limbs were almost torn from their sockets and both corpse’s faces were contorted in a rictus of pain. Their throats were shredded and torn to the point of near decapitation. An egregious amount of blood ran freely in the street, filling each gap between the cobblestones like mercury in a child’s game.