Chapter 2: Exhumation

Whitleyrr

Dalin strolled with Cordelia, Jozelle, and Alban only so far as the feed store. The other three carried on the the Worm, but Dalin excused herself and walked in to buy some treats for her animal friends. She paid for the sweets, but the elven proprietor, Sulas, gave her a small bag of grain and wheat heads for no charge. It was mostly a bulk operation anyway, so what was a handful? The sweets were in a jar on the counter, a happy coincidence.

Armed with her feed, Dalin walked silently back to the cemetery, many and troublesome thoughts passing through her mind. She found it empty. It was a stark contrast to only a little bit ago when all of Hethton, it seemed, had crowded this hill. Swinging open an iron gate that whined it’s rebellion at being used so often in one day, she ambled along. Soon, she was in tune with the animals all around her. Sparrows chirped and swooped overhead. Ground squirrels ran along playfully, chasing each other from hole to hole. A few rabbits sprang about and even a deer poked its graceful neck out of a distant stand of trees. It was an embarrassment of riches and she hardly knew where to begin.

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade

Cordelia exhaled sharply at Dalin's response to her inquiries. The resignation in Dalin's words, categorizing their mission as a lost cause, weighed heavily on Cordelia's heart. Yet, she found admiration in Dalin's desire to aid the townspeople, a sentiment she shared. Uncertain about how the dwarf might react to any challenge or explanation, Cordelia opted for silence, conveying her understanding through a humble nod.

Once Dalin had departed, Cordelia unburdened her thoughts to the remaining group members. "In light of the numerous threats around us, the idea of us being apart leaves me uneasy. I fear my concern might have been misconstrued as overbearing or worse, as mistrust," she lamented, her voice tinged with a hint of sorrow as she alluded to Dalin. "I want to clarify that I hold unwavering trust in each of you, without reservation and know that you are all more than capable. However, Alistair brought us together presumably for a reason and as a harmonious symphony of skills, wouldn't you agree? So, without proper communication, how can we play the same tune? While I fret for everyone's safety, I hold no objection to anyone venturing alone, and will not stop any of you from doing so... I suppose that teamwork, relying on and being relied upon by others, might be an unfamiliar concept to us all... I'm convinced that pooling our collective intellect, the four of us, could yield greater results than if we go at it alone."

Upon entering the Worm, Cordelia seized a moment to greet Della, extending her condolences and gauging her emotional state. Aware of Della's aversion to Vadim juxtaposed with her reverence for the captain, Cordelia aimed to offer her support. After requesting a pot of tea to be brought over, she deliberately chose a secluded table, ensuring privacy from prying ears. As she settled into her seat, Cordelia ruffled her fiery locks, a sign of her unease, before elegantly folding her hands in her lap. "Now, what course should we chart? My resolve remains unshaken, and I'm convinced that avenues still exist to achieve our original goal. However, regardless of the Amulet's fate, I'm personally compelled to aid this town in its tribulations. Call it a hunch, but these troubles seem interconnected in some manner, and it is up to us to unravel the web of threads."

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban strolled alongside Jozelle and Cordelia, the gentle drizzle leaving his raven hair slick and staining his clothing darker yet. Of all their troupe he felt least kinship with Dalin and so bid her an easy goodbye when she took leave alone. He judged her simple, straightforward, warm - all things he either sought to avoid or avoided him. "They clearly did not know what they had to give it up as such," Alban replied to Jozelle.

Alban joined Cordelia and Jozelle in the corner, pondering whether it was still too early for a glass of wine. Probably not, given the kind of day it had been. He slipped out before Cordelia had finished getting comfortable and offered Della his most winning smile to request a glass of red 'given the circumstance'.

Drink in hand, he rejoined their table, sipping the ruby liquid as Cordelia spoke. "I believe your idea is a sound one Cordelia, I would imagine there is much Lady Ittia would wish to say to her dear departed given them circumstance of his death. Do you think we should raise it when we meet, or would that be too soon? I don't relish leaving the Captain too long in his current state." He took another, longer drink before continuing quietly, eyes still focussed on his swirling glass. "I do agree as well that it makes sense to know each other's strengths, and I apologise if you felt I have been reticent in sharing such. I'm not used to trusting others. When you carry secrets for too long they hollow that out." He looked up suddenly, meeting their eyes with intense gaze. "I will keep some still, some probably to my own grave and even beyond, but I can share more of my abilities. They revolve largely around illusion, obfuscation and control - hardly something to inspire your trust I suppose - but I can assure you they do not venture into the same enchanting territory I believe Vadim King's sorcery does. Beyond that, as I'm sure you've gathered, my skills lie with my words, though I can be quiet when required as well, enhanced with magic if required as Jozelle demonstrated."

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Cordelia acknowledged Alban's inquiry with a thoughtful hum. "It's indeed hard to predict Lady Ittia's response, given our limited prior interaction. Let's observe the conversation's flow this afternoon. If an appropriate opportunity arises, we can broach the topic gently. Nonetheless, we must remember that we haven't verified whether the Captain's amulet is truly the one we seek. Disturbing his rest without certainty could be both tragic and detrimental to our reputation."

Pausing briefly, Cordelia's hands found comfort in rubbing against each other. "Perhaps it's prudent to continue our search for now. We could ascertain if any similar amulets exist in the town before making hasty decisions. But, perhaps I'm simply second-guessing myself. What do you both think?" She glanced between Jozelle and Alban, seeking their input.

Alban's intense made Cordelia's skip a beat - she had not noticed how captivating they were until that moment. His response resonated deeply with Cordelia, stirring a mixture of admiration and curiosity within her. It was a pleasure to be in the presence of someone who could match her own gifts. Impressed, she hoped they could discuss their unconventional skills more in depth at a later time. His sincerity and the revelations about his abilities were met with a nod of understanding. "Alban, your transparency is appreciated, and trust is indeed a fragile matter. We all carry our share of secrets, but what defines us is how we handle them in the present. Your abilities are valuable assets to our cause and your words resonate with an air of truthfulness. For what it is worth, I trust you."

Cordelia's demeanor shifted, a hint of vulnerability entering her gaze as she struggled to find the appropriate words, "I must confess, my skills are unexpected and may come as a shock. They are somewhat... at odds with my exterior demeanor. They lean towards the... violent spectrum. Some might even draw parallels to what we witnessed from Vadim." She paused, her gaze dropping to her folded hands, her tone carrying a touch of shame. "They were acquired for self-defense during my travels, especially after the incident I shared with you all during Alistair's trial."

With a composed breath, she continued, her blue eyes moving between Alban and Jozelle. "I possess the ability to manipulate the minds of others with my words, I can induce sleep, compel them to complete actions, and even inflict harm by resonating painful songs in their minds, affecting both their mental and physical states. Moreover, I can unleash a deafening sound that can harm those within its range." Her gaze held a mix of anticipation and anxiety, uncertain of how her revelations would be received. "Alternatively and on a more positive note, I can channel my words to heal, empower allies and weaken foes, or even communicate telepathically without vocalizing."

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

"I have no magic, in this I am but one of the common masses." Jozelle has never truly understood magic. In theory, yes, but in practice she finds magic in many things, not just the arcane and the divine. She has never found herself to have the gift, and is uncertain is it is a blessing or curse.

"I know how to craft and use poisons and toxins, ones that seep into the wound of a cut, and those slipped into a glass of wine. My actions are often quicker than my thoughts, and I've been trained to know where the weakest points are both in armor and in body. Although I am stronger with a weapon in hand, I do not require it."

With the others sharing their gifts, Jozelle sees no reason to hide it. She's already shared her profession, it's only the finer details that were left unsaid before.

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban listened equally respectfully as Cordelia and Jozelle laid bare their own talents. That the assassin lacked magic was nothing to be embarrassed about he thought briefly - as she accurately described it is not common among the masses - and her other talents made up for its absence. If anything, it was reassuring. He caught himself before he comforted her, realising it was likely just her unusual pattern of speech. Not to discard his primed tongue, he instead replied "Thankyou Jozelle, that is good to know. We may yet have need of your talents should further unexpected actors appear, and that we are never defenceless seems increasingly important in this town."

He turned back to Cordelia. "There is absolutely no shame in learning to defend yourself. I imagine that even with that incident aside it must be rather dangerous to traverse the wilderness as a courier alone, and avoiding indelicate encounters with a word would prove a useful skill." He took another sip of wine, licking his lips to catch any stray drops of ruby. "Though I must admit such manipulation of minds does still leave a sour taste in my mouth, especially with its insidious nature," he continued with a frown, smoothing out an invisible fold in his glammerweave. "I... did once dabble in such but left it behind." He failed to mention it was only after meeting Vadim King that he was overcome with this change of heart. "Those latter skills certainly may come in useful."

He crossed his legs, his gaze travelling up to the old wooden beams of the ceiling as he thought on her other suggestions. "I wish I had a method of detecting magical emanations since such an object would surely have some, but alas my talents have not yet developed in that direction. I think it unlikely that there would be more than one amulet of this distinctive shape in the village, but I suppose it costs us nothing to look. Having said that, I do not think we should let that stop us asking Lady Ittia this afternoon - most would rather speak to their freshly dead relative than a decomposing corpse I imagine. Myself included."

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

As Jozelle's response to Cordelia's admissions remained seemingly subdued, a wave of relief swept over her. The assassin's demeanor suggested a potential familiarity with violence and manipulation due to her profession, or perhaps she concealed her genuine reactions. In any case, Cordelia felt a glimmer of hope that her companions might not view her in a drastically different light. However, a knot of unease persisted, convinced that Dalin's reception of her darker magical capabilities would be less forgiving.

Cordelia's approval of Alban's perspective was sincere until his following sentence gave her pause. The word "though" marked a shift in his stance, prompting her brows to furrow and her head to dip slightly. "I understand. The potential for misuse of such magic is undeniable, and the mere thought of it churns my stomach."

Cordelia's lips curled in a contemplative smile when Alban mentioned magical detection, "Indeed, such an ability would have practical applications." With Alban's opinion aligned with her own, she gave a slight nod. "We're in agreement, then. We will address the situation with Lady Ittia... Although I hold confidence that she might consent to the exhumation, we should not dismiss the possibility of her refusal. If that were to occur, our true purpose in Hethton would be exposed, and likely lead to heightened surveillance over the Captain's resting place."

Adjusting her dress and taking a sip of tea, Cordelia gathered her thoughts. "Before we meet with Lady Ittia, I'm considering a visit to the notary's office. A swift search through the townspeople's testimonies for any mention of the amulet might provide some reassurance before we broach the subject with her."

Dalien

Dalin 

AC: 14 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin hunkered herself down at the base of a tall maple that stood sheltering a crop of memorial stones. Tree's outlived most of the folks buried here...

She glanced at the nearest tombstone. Will the stone outlast the tree? It will outlast the people who remember the person... that's for sure.

The dwarf decided at that moment that she didn't want a marker on her own grave. People will remember me for as long as they do... and when they stop, that's when the memory ends... not when some stone erodes to dust.

She took a deep breath and with an awkward shift of weight, plunked herself on the ground, her back against the maple. She dug into her purchases and laid a small circle of seeds and nuts. In the city, she knew squirrels and birds were the most used to being fed by people. And, so she sat, still, waiting. It was akin to hunting, when waiting for the prey to approach.

Finally, a brave, or perhaps just hungry, chipmunk approached. It sampled Dalin's offering and found it acceptable, stuffing its cheeks to bursting and then scampering away. On its third trip to the buffet, the dwarf emitted a low throaty sound, something between a hum and a purr, but deep, much deeper than her normal voice. She lifted her chin into a neutral position and placed her hands on the ground, knuckles down, relaxed. She didn't smile, it would be aggressive to show her teeth.

The chipmunk looked up, frozen for a moment and staring at the young dwarf. Dalin's voice, in a series of gentle beastial mutterings drifted across the space. Her chin shifted perceptably, a gesture of submission. The chipmunk took steps forward, chattering. After several minutes, the chipmunk took its fill once more and ran into the underbrush.

Dalin slowly, methodically replenished the circle of feed and, as if queued for a turn, a crow landed near her feet. Lucky... smart bird, good eyes... maybe he'll know where I can find a napping owl... need me something nocturnal.

And, so, the slow dance of gentle motions, guttural words and reward played out for an hour or two. Dalin had only three small bags of feed left as she left the graveyard, the gate clanging excessively loud behind her. Bonnie was squirming in her pocket, jealous and Dalin's last purring phrases were directed toward her, perhaps promising a special dinner.

The dwarf hurried to meet the others.

Alban inclined his head when Cordelia agreed the danger of such manipulations, though whether he was excusing her dabbling or simply acknowledging her response was unclear. "I agree the notary seems a sensible place to start, though for what reason would we be inquiring?" he asked, "If we are still to conceal our aims, which I believe ever more important as stranger things abound and not least for watchers over the Captain's grave."

He tapped a slender finger against his glass as he thought, proposing after a moment "Perhaps a simpler deception, that I simply found it attractive and wished to know if anyone held a similar piece they may be willing to part with? I doubt anyone would assume grave robbing to be the end of a passing fancy."

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

spacer.png

"Whatever story we weave, that there is a ghoul about does leave us a scapegoat should anything happen to the coffin. Of course, that there is a ghoul about means that anything in that grave is risking more than just our life." Jozelle chooses not to elaborate on the grim details, feeling little need.

"Although it would be easier if it is not the amulet in question, I have trouble believing there are too many pieces that look like the one we seek, that there are too many others who can own such a treasure. I have always learned to assume the worst, and I do believe we have stumbled upon the worst. Still, I feel we make a good collection to endure it."

Jozelle is back to her usual self fully, the anticipation of the dark deeds ahead familiar territory.

Mechanics

With the course plotted for the Notary's office, Alban, Jozelle, and Cordelia stood to leave the Worm. Action felt good, even if it was unclear to what end it would lead. When they exited they were saddened to discover few people in the Square taking up the Mayor's offer of Hearthshome goods being used to celebrate the Captain's legacy. Forty or fifty people milled around the stage, nibbling and drinking, but that was a far cry from the previous evening's hundreds. As they crossed the square, Dalin caught up with them, dirt staining her hands and grass clinging to her pants. They walked on in silence for a short while, the Notary's office being not far. Upon arriving there, they saw a short, one story building about twenty feet in breadth. A single door opened in the center of the building with windows of clear glass flanking each side. Before they walked in, Dalin stopped them. She had news to report.

Dalien

Dalin 

Dalin must have stopped at the inn looking for her companions as she was now geared with her pack and walking stick. Her shield, worn wood and dark leather, was strapped to the back of her pack. She mustn't have washed for she was still dirty, particularly on her palms, knees and the seat of her pants. She also had one twig tucked behind an ear. If asked, she had no idea it was there nor how it got there.

Fidgety. It was the only word that could have described her bearing since catching up with her companions. On the way to the notary office, she several times opened her mouth as if to say something... only to clamp it shut again, not finding the right words to begin.

Finally, on arriving at the notary, she spoke. "Just a moment." She clasped her staff vertically in front of her with both hands, tapping it to the ground with no sort of rhythm as if just burning off some excess energy.

"In the graveyard... I learned some things. I've been trying to piece them together, to make some kind of sense, some kind of picture, but in the end, it's not pretty.

First off... there's something that smells like death. I mean... not normal death, but the kind of smell that makes the animals afraid for themselves. They skedaddle when they smell it.

Second, whatever thing is freaking them out... there's more than one, could be two, could be a hundred or more." She shrugged and explained in all seriousness. "Birds aren't so good at counting."

"The last thing... and this is the puzzle piece that I could do without. It seems like things might be coming out of the graves on their own." The dwarf paused, as if trying to get the sentiment exactly. "... come out where ground is fresh." She nodded, as if satisfied with her own translation. "And... some say they heard a scratching, scratching sound, coming from underground."

Dalin looked, for a moment, as if trying to swallow a tough piece of meat. "So... if I'm reading things right, it could be that the Captain might make his own way out. He might not need help, see? Not sure... the words of beasts can be murky like swamp water sometimes. But, we should be ready for that." She stared at her staff with a look that confirmed it would more or less be her constant companion until she got out of this cursed town.

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

Cordelia's hand waved gracefully but firmly in response to Alban's concerns. "In this instance, such deception likely unnecessary. When a courier seeks access to critical legal documents, such as citizens' testaments within a town, their official role offers a shield against prying curiosity. Similar to the shadow you can cast upon yourself and others, I am shrouded by the mantle of my position. Rooted in trust and hierarchy, my status affords me a unique privilege—the ability to request and peruse various legal records without needing to divulge motives. By discreetly gathering insights from significant documents, couriers ensure the seamless flow of the realm's affairs while preserving the mystique that enshrouds the courtly domain." A sly smirk graced her lips as she continued, "Should the notary prove too inquisitive, a gentle reminder of proper decorum shall suffice." Cordelia's tone conveyed a smug finality.

---------

As the group set off for the notary's office, Cordelia couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment at the sparse crowd gathered in the town square for the captain's reception. She contemplated the possibility of drawing a larger audience after their meeting with Lady Ittia, as the direction of their conversation would dictate their subsequent actions. Similar to the captain's subdued send-off, the group's walk maintained an air of silence. Cordelia, however, appeared relatively unperturbed by the silence, her countenance even showing a serene quality. Yet, unbeknownst to her, the revelations Dalin had uncovered in the meantime would drastically alter her demeanor.

As they arrived outside the notary's office, the silence was broken by Dalin, and the impending revelations left Cordelia unprepared for the shock she was about to receive. The notion of communicating with animals who spoke of the deceased clawing their way out of graves was so far beyond the realm of Cordelia's expectations that, had she not spent time with the silver-haired dwarf in the past week, she might have dismissed such a story outright. A look of wide-eyed astonishment overtook Cordelia's face, her complexion paling as if her blood had drained. Her mind raced, recalling Jozelle's account of the necromancer assassin and the animated dead. The image of corpses clawing out of graves lead her to believe that the only possibility for it was necromancy.

The weight of the situation was pushing Cordelia's limits; this mission had proven far more challenging than she had ever imagined. Her eyes stared off into the distance and her lower lip trembled as she inhaled deeply, striving to regain her composure. "I must confess, this new information makes me question my initial desire to aid this town with its troubles. All the darkness that enshrouds it... it is reaching a point where I am thinking that perhaps the Forester Alyssia was right to leave." Turning her gaze toward the group, Cordelia's expression held a plea for understanding. "What course should we take? Do you all wish to continue? As much as I find myself reluctant, I trust in you all and am willing press on if you agree it's the right path." Doubt gnawed at her – how had Alistair entrusted a coward like her, who felt so easily overwhelmed, to fulfill his quest?

spacer.png

"I know not what the right path is, or even if such exists." There is something a bit more forceful than usual to the line, an emphasis that's usually lacking in Jozelle's speech. "I know that redemption was dangled in front of us like a dirtied strip of cloth to bloodhounds. And like a bloodhound I seek it out."

She takes a step as if the move to the office, but stops. "I have no intention of moving in close with the soulless, and will do everything I can to move in and around them to get our prize. I will happily use the brave guards of this town as a shield, and act when I must." A small smile creeps up to her face, a smile that is a bit off, like someone not practiced at it despite the fact they've all seen her grin and laugh beautifully just the night before. "I do not know how to turn away."

Mechanics

Dalien

Dalin 

"Redemption? Is that why we're here?" Dalin looked to the ground and then sighed and lifted her gaze to the sky. The dwarf had so solidly shoved their first encounter with the mage into the past that it took her several moments to follow Jozelle's meaning.

A sturdy thumb and dirty forefinger reached up to tug on one of the smaller earrings that dangled from one of her ears. It was silver, a symbol of Teekond. "I cannot tell you how much I would like to walk away from this place. Hell, I'd run if I was listening to what's going on between my ears. And, Teekond knows, I'll never settle in a place like this. I'm more comfortable somewhere I've never been than in a town whose streets I've walked more than a dozen times.

Still, the world shouldn't be like this. There shouldn't be people playing rutting mind tricks, there shouldn't be ghouls and there shouldn't be things moving after they're dead. It ain't natural. It ain't right.

Now, I have a few tricks of my own, but serious, I don't think there's much I can actually do to stop what's going on in this town. But, I do know one thing I... we can do. We can warn them. We find someone with some kind of power that we trust... the Lady, the Mayor, I dunno, the chief of the guards. And, we tell'em what we know. We warn them.

If they toss us out of town, so be it. We won't get the amulet... but we'll get a clear conscience knowing that at least we tried. It may not be redemption, but, at least it won't be a heavier load."

Edited by ariel (see edit history)