OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

I've added a post to the House Rules thread covering the major adjustments that will be made to how we handle combat to accommodate some of the limitations of pbp. If you have any questions, or thoughts about additional tweaks that may need to be made, please feel free to throw them out here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick head's up regarding the dice roller, when rolling with advantage: if you use 2d20+3, for example, it's going to add the dice, then add another 3, so don't look only at the final result.

image.png.e10eb74aa715b2a9de0b575c12d32b3a.png

I suggest you use keep(2d20,highest,1)+3 instead.

image.png.3e5f96eec0155d965f4cb2f467fd86d5.png

Name
Test
keep(2d20,highest,1)+3 17,16

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that celebrate, I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving holiday. I hope we can get back into the swing of regular posting. I am quite pleased with how things have kicked off and how smoothly our first combat and RP encounter have gone.

• 4 months later...

Question for both groups: are you guys still interested in this game, and is the posting rate good for you?

For me, I like the game setting, I like the characters, but the posting rate is just too slow, even by Myth-Weavers standard. Group 1 has been slow for almost 6 months, with some players not playing at all. Group 2 has gotten slow as well after leaving Oma's hut. Both groups are headed to Silbervas, and I was hoping that at that point, both groups would merge, keeping those who are actually playing.

But at this posting rate, I find it hard to stay interested. I'd like to stay if things can pick up.

Therefore, I'll restate my question: are you guys still interested in this game, and is the posting rate good for you?

For me the only thing is the posting rate. I could post more but i feel like we lost a bunch of people from group 1 right away and it kinda struggled from the get-go

I don't mind if the posting rate picks up, but it does feel like a lot of folks just kind of died off suddenly. Granted I have my spans of being slower than average, but I'm still very much interested.

Yeah, it would be better if we had more people that follow Raven's lead in actually announcing that they were dropping. At this stage I am inclined to skip both groups forward a bit so that you can run into each other and basically merge to have one group of active players.

I am still interested, but my knowledge sits firmly in 3.5 not 5e and it makes me a bit unsure what to do next besides post something akin to "Kain listens to the others and says nothing" over and over again to show I am still here and interested.

Not to mention we have no group leader, or any kind of coherence that an actual group thrust into a very deadly place would have formed for safety.

I am trying not to be bossy and take over (even though I am playing a noble he isn't that kind of a person), so I am trying to give others the chance to post for themselves, but it does seem as though most of our group has dropped out too.

Thanks to Neopopulas, astronavigatrix and FelixFaust for replying. And a major thanks to Anthr4xus for rescuing a game started by someone else.

It's possible that the other players haven't yet read those posts due to the chocolate-egg laying bunny holiday, but for everyone one else, please at least let us know (either here or in a PM to Anthr4xus) if you're no longer interested in this game.

Assuming there's still only 4 players left, I'm still interested in continuing.

• Setare: rogue, Soulknife
  • Amelia: fighter (ranged), ???
  • Kain: fighter (melee), Eldritch Knight
  • Karlov: cleric, Grave
  • Haakon: Wizard
  • Falken: fighter (ranged), Eldritch Knight

That does make us a bit weak in the magic department. If that's acceptable, I'd be willing to remake Falken into a Ranger to diversify the eventual spell list - I've been thinking lately that the Ranger class would actually fit better how I've been playing him. If that's not acceptable, it's fine - I'll have to decide if I'm still going for Eldritch Knight, or maybe multiclass into Ranger? In any case, I'm all for fast-forwarding both groups to Silbervas.

@FelixFaust in group 1, I've inadvertently made Falken the "leader", even though I (the player) have no knowledge of the setting. I'm hoping Anthr4xus has something planned to push us beyond that, because I have no clue what to do next! :) I've always been under the impression that people don't like having a group leader, but I can see your point.

I think a slightly faster posting rate would be beneficial to keeping things alive, as always. I'm not sure what the original expectations were, but I think we're definitely falling short of 1/week/player at the moment which - for me - is probably the minimum to keep my head in the game. I guess my ideal would probably be 2-3 posts / week / player - I suspect I wouldn't be able to keep up with more than that.

Unfortunately people ghosting without saying anything is fairly common - either they just stop visiting the forum in which case I tend to avoid casting any kind of blame as who knows what's gone on in real life, or they continue to post elsewhere without posting in the game or OOC, which I view a little more harshly as I think it doesn't take much to say "sorry, not feeling it" and it can avoid the game grinding to a halt.

The biggest issue I think with progression at the moment is the - admittedly realistic - sandbox nature of having a group of people who con't really know each other and (both in and out of character in ?most cases) don't know the setting to guide their actions. By their nature, many ties to the world were ripped away passing through the mist so they can't even look up old acquaintances for goals. Therefore until something notable happens we're all just drifting surviving a little bit, which doesn't really drive the story forward beyond whatever Anthr4xus throws our way. Which is partly why Karlov was trying to pick up or throw out some interactions with the world beyond hide and survive even though doing so is not, perhaps, the most rational choice (e.g. go to the other place of survivors, tackle the talons). I guess as a player I'm also not sure what's a realistic goal for the character to adopt in the setting - clearly eliminating all the undead is impossible, nor does it give a particular direction to travel in. Similarly, taking down the Talons and installing a fairer government is both fairly long term, and may be making too many changes to the setting to be realistic. We haven't really met anyone else to form a short term goal other than reach Silbervas alive, which is an inherited goal rather than anything else. Certainly Rhort seems to have provided an in character goal, though following it would require a little more sharing with the group.

For what it's worth, I hadn't actually thought Falken was leaning towards any kind of eldritch knight / magic, though I'm equally not sure what subclass I imagined him as.

Added Karlov to my previous post, which means we're not as magic-deprived as I originally perceived. Still won't be casting Fireball anytime soon, though! :)

3 hours ago, PureChance said:

For what it's worth, I hadn't actually thought Falken was leaning towards any kind of eldritch knight / magic, though I'm equally not sure what subclass I imagined him as.

I'm generally not a fan of 1st level characters. They can't do much, and, in this case, the abilities they pick up upon selecting a subclass is, mechanically, totally unrelated to what had come before.

That said, I had Falken's wife be a wizard in his backstory, and in the pre-game thread, I had him pick up an interest with the wizard little girl. At one point, he showed her a small notebook containing magical formulas he had yet to master. I imagined those to be the cantrips and 1st-level spells he would pick up upon reaching Eldritch Knight. But in the game itself, there wasn't much opportunity for that to show up.

Besides, I was trying to move us along, since the posting rate had already dropped before our first fight was over. And so was Falken - he's focused on getting to Silbervas.