OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

Okay. I've started a new thread for everyone getting to Silbervas. Everyone can go ahead and set their XP to 600 total and advance to level 2. The scene continues from there. Everyone can also consider having had a full long rest as well, so everyone is fully reset as far as spell slots and abilities go.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on the skewered corpses, are they skewered as punishment or are they skewered onto spiked barricades? Would it be prudent to bury those corpses? Or are they good to leave alone, since Karlov's senses didn't pick them up.

Yup, I was going to double check neither the corpses nor the dogs flashed as undead Anthraxus.

I was wondering about corpses rising as zombie in general, or if all the zombies tended to come from the mists rather than dead people (excluding those killed by zombies) - because impaling seems the most common method of punishment and generally the bodies are left there, which to me implies they probably dont become zombies? Because otherwise the talons would just be creating dangerous work for themselves surely?

If they do come back as zombies, then it seems odd that cremation isn't the most common method of disposal of the dead.

Whilst Karlov wouldn't know this, I assume Fallen would.

The spiked corpses are, as Falken mentioned, just like the corpse field around Lekar, only significantly smaller in scope. If a corpse is properly spiked the end of the spike is in the corpse's brain, which means that even if the mists reanimate it, it effectively gets killed again immediately. It is also a very effective terror tactic in keeping the peasantry in line.

Fine - makes sense. So unspiked corpses are definitely at risk of reanimation and therefore I assume pyres are fairly commonplace, but equally not something you'd want to do of you're hiding out

Oh yes. If a Talon or conscript or innocent is struck down, the honorable or respected funeral treatment is a pyre. If you are poor or a casualty of a large battle or something, it is commonly a mass pyre, but the rich or powerful will have individual services.

The corpse-field around Lekar is only so big because staking is the only punishment for any crime, and it is a sad and desperate times, so small crimes are frequent even with that risk, especially in the cramped city that is the last bastion.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

Perception: Nat 20!

Reminds me of my old dm when I rolled a Nat 20 on perception one day. He started to describe that I saw giants above the clouds, with handfuls of colorful carved rocks, towering beverages of brown and green, and lots of papers scattered around. Then my vision went back to the world around me and I saw what I was trying to see. I was the only one who saw the "Giants" lol

He used to do silly stuff like that a lot. I miss him

Almost every DM I know has done that one an Investigation, Perception or Insight roll at least once :) I know of at least one campaign that derailed as the Bard that made the roll was able to convince the rest of the group that there was a shadowy giant cabal that was working against the group and suddenly became the new big bad.