OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

On 8/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, Vasaria said:

Snip

Aesthetic choices are A-OK.

On 8/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Steel Warrior said:

@Pittance
Snip

I'm fine with flying as long as it's a level-up and not out of the gate thing. May be more caveats later on.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:03 PM, Little_Rudo said:

Snip

It's common knowledge in Falkovnia that the dead do rise, yes; however, it's not really clear yet what, exactly, raises them. So, being superstitious and paranoid, burning the dead is common practice — ie, a law whose defiance is punishable by death.

So far as meeting with the party, I may or may not use the Wightwatcher Inn pre-game RP as a hook for the party. Then again, depending on the composition and who is selected, I may throw you guys in differently. If you're already from Falkovnia, which is fine, there are plenty of reasons to want to get out (although it's nigh-impossible). Could just be you made it out... only to get turned back around by the Mists — which are cruel, oh so cruel — and be back at square 1.

18 hours ago, CapKirk said:

Snip

Skill checks are fine. I likely won't resolve them just to keep above water with all the other administrative activities right now, so use your own DC or contest versus someone else for your dose of fun randomness.

10 hours ago, Dr Jackal said:

Snip

I can't believe I forgot Strixhaven and Sword Coast. I will add them to the list of acceptable rulebooks.

Edited by Pittance (see edit history)

Hello all! First time trying to join a game, hence the fumbling about in the stat roller earlier - would love to have a guide about it, since I failed to find one.

Onto the question though: I plan on making a tiefling for the setting. How should I expect the residents of Falkovnia to react to one?

2 hours ago, detective said:

Hello all! First time trying to join a game, hence the fumbling about in the stat roller earlier - would love to have a guide about it, since I failed to find one.

Onto the question though: I plan on making a tiefling for the setting. How should I expect the residents of Falkovnia to react to one?

Hi @detective! Regarding your first request: I'm new, too - this is only the second game I'm applying for and the first where I had to roll in the forum. I used this guide to figure out how to write the command string for rolling ability scores (specifically found in the "Common Rolls" section). There is also a user guide on the basics of using Myth Weavers. I hope that's helpful!

For your question: I'm not sure how the residents would react (this is probably something Pittance can answer). However, there was mention of a tiefling at a gambling table in one of the first posts in the RP thread. It didn't seem like that big of a shock - or at least it wasn't written as if it was. That could just be the character's perception, though. 😉

4 hours ago, detective said:

Since jrsey got the first one, I'll be glad to handle the second question!

Tieflings in Falkovnia, while not outright shunned or made subject to pogroms (those are equal opportunity in this domain), may or may not be looked on with a little more suspicion that certain other races, due in part to their infernal heritage and the pervasive notion that devils may or may not be in some small part responsible for some rumblings further out in the realm.

Since it came up in the pre-game RP: do you have a rough timeline in mind for the downfall of Falkovnia?

How long ago did the General arrive? How long was the warring period between her and the now-extinguished local nobility? When did the zombie apocalypse start?

If these should generally be History checks for PCs, that's alright, though these feel momentous enough that anybody who lived through them would have a rough sense.

Ardir's background is written without a clear arrival point for the general, but does rely on a 'the zombies started ~ 6 months ago and everything is rapidly falling apart' timeline, where the campaign starts soon after the rumors of Silbervas' fall reach and drive him into the madness of berserker rage. If you want Silbervas to have fallen years ago, this can certainly be revised!

2 hours ago, jrsey said:

Hi @detective! Regarding your first request: I'm new, too - this is only the second game I'm applying for and the first where I had to roll in the forum. I used this guide to figure out how to write the command string for rolling ability scores (specifically found in the "Common Rolls" section). There is also a user guide on the basics of using Myth Weavers. I hope that's helpful!

For your question: I'm not sure how the residents would react (this is probably something Pittance can answer). However, there was mention of a tiefling at a gambling table in one of the first posts in the RP thread. It didn't seem like that big of a shock - or at least it wasn't written as if it was. That could just be the character's perception, though. 😉

Thanks! I'll make sure to get a good read when I have the time

37 minutes ago, Pittance said:

Since jrsey got the first one, I'll be glad to handle the second question!

Tieflings in Falkovnia, while not outright shunned or made subject to pogroms (those are equal opportunity in this domain), may or may not be looked on with a little more suspicion that certain other races, due in part to their infernal heritage and the pervasive notion that devils may or may not be in some small part responsible for some rumblings further out in the realm.

Works for me! A bit of suspicion and prejudice is what I'm counting on. 😈

34 minutes ago, Kail_Traeganni said:

Since it came up in the pre-game RP: do you have a rough timeline in mind for the downfall of Falkovnia?

How long ago did the General arrive? How long was the warring period between her and the now-extinguished local nobility? When did the zombie apocalypse start?

If these should generally be History checks for PCs, that's alright, though these feel momentous enough that anybody who lived through them would have a rough sense.

Ardir's background is written without a clear arrival point for the general, but does rely on a 'the zombies started ~ 6 months ago and everything is rapidly falling apart' timeline, where the campaign starts soon after the rumors of Silbervas' fall reach and drive him into the madness of berserker rage. If you want Silbervas to have fallen years ago, this can certainly be revised!

I think, for Falkovnia's mystique and the themes of hopelessness, it works best if the realm has been under such a siege for roughly a year or so, with the outlying realms being the first ravaged, and little by little those closer to Lekar (where Vladeska resides) following suit; this particular timeline can remain flexible for folks who want to make characters from Falkovnia, as you have.

The hordes always exist in one form or fashion, but they 'zerg' for the capital only once a month so I would say those who've been there from the start have seen a hell of a lot of death and destruction, and have come to find a bit of routine in the monthly assaults (as well a creeping sense of paranoia as it nears). All the dead will go batpoop (can we swear on this site? LOL) during this 'zerg', moreso than they do at night.

5 hours ago, Pittance said:

The hordes always exist in one form or fashion, but they 'zerg' for the capital only once a month so I would say those who've been there from the start have seen a hell of a lot of death and destruction, and have come to find a bit of routine in the monthly assaults (as well a creeping sense of paranoia as it nears). All the dead will go batpoop (can we swear on this site? LOL) during this 'zerg', moreso than they do at night.

Interesting! Do we have a sense of where we are in that monthly timeframe?