Pre-Game RP Thread: The Wightwatcher Inn

Pittance

Set2b.png.9517fc0f6cee6f94682afd9d6a641fe2.png Setare Orfini

Charlatan Drow Rogue

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 9/9 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 10
Str: 9 (-1) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 13 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Celestial

“My words,” Set says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Set thinks. | My actions . . .

The next two entrants to this cavalcade of oddities are both on such opposite sides of the spectrum that Setare can't help but take notice. Both of them are loud- unfalteringly so. In the case of both, equally unflatteringly so as well. However, Setare is as far from a fan of religious zealotry as he can get, and the petty part of him can't help but want to react. Because of course there's corruption- there's a gods-damned vampire-kin in the room and no one besides a few of them seem to be even remotely leery of the fact.

Then there's the other one- and though he minds the crudeness of him less, the insinuation that any of them need to meet his standards is almost laughable. But he considers is his options and decides to (metaphorically) kill two very disparate birds with one likely very effective stone. Giving his current company a roll of the eyes, he tilts his head and stands.

"My, getting to the drink before even giving anyone a chance to volunteer for bed warming? One might think your words are just empty flattery." Set reaches for the bottle, pours another drink into them man's glass, and then downs it himself, perching on the bar's counter with a tilt of his head. "Might want to be careful though," he leans in, locking eyes with the cleric as says the next words in a decidedly too-loud stage whisper, "the priest there might try and cleanse you or something, and then you might actually have to rely on your skills to make the undead easier to kill, instead of your stench."

OOC

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

@PureChance @RedDingo sorry, I had to scoot around a lot for dog-sitting yesterday but I'm here!

spacer.png
Name: Amelia Grey | Class: Fighter | Level: 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 12 | Prof: +2
Saves: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int -1, Wis +2, Cha -2

Fighting Style, Second Wind
Attacks: Pistols, Rapier
Passive: Perception - 14 | Investigation - 10 | Insight - 14
Languages, Darkvision, Fey Ancestry

"Honestly I don't think there is going to be too much cleansing going on around here, not for awhile anyway."

spacer.png Rhortigern Vanhaldred

Variant Human Fiendslayer, Mutant Blood Hunter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+2+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 14
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Balok Elvish, and Dwarfish

“My words,” Rhort says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Rhort thinks. | My actions . . .

Rhort shrugged an threw back the drink the newcomer had generously poured him with a grin and shrugged.

"Priests don't want to cleanse me...they mostly want to kill me for my choice in body art," with a wink, a he pulled the collar of his shirt and gave Setare a generous view of his breast, so the latter could see the brand that had been scarred in in his very flesh.

"No amount of soap in the world washes those off!"

OOC

I don’t always have OOC content to post, but if I did, it would go here, below the Movement, Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction (which will always be there). Those need to contain the mechanical explanation of your otherwise natural language post.

token_1-3.png.80b517fb3733af2d43343fa50882a4af.pngInquisitor Karlov Mikhail Ilyich

Marked Half-elf Grave Cleric

AC: 16 (Scale, Shield) | HP: 9/9 () | HD: 1/1 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +0
Senses: Passive Perception 16, Insight 16, Investigation 12. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 11 (+0) | Dex: 10 (+0) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 19 (+4) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Abyssal, Infernal

Conscious of the gaggle talking about him, Karlov strides confidently over. He catches sight of the human's brand as he arrives, his eye drawn the marked flesh. He unconsciously rubs his own chest, feeling the rough fibres of his shirt scrape beneath his armour. "A brand describes past trials and transgressions, history wrought in flesh," he states gruffly, "and corruption hides beneath both beauty and beast alike."

He pulls over a seat, the wood scraping against the rough floor. "If you are asking for your sins to be burned clean, I will try my best," he offers entirely seriously, "Kelemvor has delivered me to this realm, rife with undeath, to bring forth his justice and mercy both."

OOC

Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Mace . Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 0 bludgeoning damage.

Light Crossbow (loading, ranged, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 0 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Class Features:

Eyes of the Grave: 4/4 (Long Rest)

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Seeing the commotion and hearing the discussion near the bar, Tysh excuses herself from her conversation with Ardir. She descends the steps and orders an ale as the interactions between Set, Rhortigern, and Karlov continue. Taking a sip of her ale, she looks to Karlov.

"I find that, sometimes, the best approach is to meet people where they are, rather than trying to fix them before they are ready." Her gaze shifts to Set, then Rhortigern.

"Clearly what you've been doing has worked for you so far," she says to Rhortigern. "In fact, you seem to have embraced it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you seek cleansing of any sort. You have thrived in your perceived sin, so much so that you may not wish to relinquish it."

She pauses to take another sip of her drink. "Surviving here requires some...flexibility. As our perceptive friend here noted," she says with a nod to Set, "our most undesirable traits are sometimes the things that keep us alive in this twisted world."

Kazzador begins gathering up empty cups, mugs, and glasses. The bugbear moves quickly among the tables, his monstrously long arms speeding his task as he deftly reaches between and around patrons. As he moves past each table or clutch of people he mentions to get in orders for food as Meat is shutting down the kitchen. He sets the empty vessel laden tray down at the end of the bar and bellows loud enough to be heard over any ongoing discussion or card game. "It's late with no time left to celebrate. LAST CALL! Present your cups I'll fill them all. LAST CALL! One last drink a'for going to bed, better liquor than spirits to weigh down your head. LAST CALL!"

Those of the patrons who had been here before recognized the short poem. It was an interesting eccentricity of Kazzador always closed out the night with, despite his usual recalcitrant and quiet demeanor.

token_1-3.png.80b517fb3733af2d43343fa50882a4af.pngInquisitor Karlov Mikhail Ilyich

Marked Half-elf Grave Cleric

AC: 16 (Scale, Shield) | HP: 9/9 () | HD: 1/1 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +0
Senses: Passive Perception 16, Insight 16, Investigation 12. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 11 (+0) | Dex: 10 (+0) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 19 (+4) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Abyssal, Infernal

Karlov lets a heavy frown settle on his face at Tysh's words. It seemed at home there, comfortable amongst his craggy features as storm clouds over mountains. "Flexibility leads to weakness; it is evil's sweet whispers that you can have it all. All things end, and if the time for our end arrives we should meet it face on. As for perceived sin, there is only one true sin in Kelemvor's eyes; undeath. Be sure, lady of Selune, that the flexibility you employ in pursuit of survival does not lead you there."

He turns on the rest of the table and a veil flashes across his eyes briefly, picked out with a merchant's scales. "I see none of that here," he states with finality. "The offer of purgation for whatever you deem your sin is made in good faith, though the source of your redemption must be yourself."

His gaze continues past their table, settling on two particular patrons quickly obscured by the tavern keeper. "Two of the number here however skirt their boundaries, and for them I am afraid the only judgement and mercy left to be had is Kelemvor's. It must be that which drew my feet to this particular tavern." He closes his eyes, one hand slipping beneath his cloak to caress a bone rosary. Under his breath, he mutters "I am the tool."

OOC

Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Mace . Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 0 bludgeoning damage.

Light Crossbow (loading, ranged, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 0 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Class Features:

Eyes of the Grave: 3/4 (Long Rest)

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Pin on Pictures Raven

Human Shadow Sorcerer, Haunted Spirit Medium

AC: 12/15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 (1d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 10 (-0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Abyssal, Undercommon

|

The doors of Wightwatcher Inn suddenly open as a last-minute customer rushes in. A rather short female, dressed in all black clothing, suddenly stops and looks around.  Her long black hair is rather messy, and she's slightly out of breath.  Taking a deep breath, she looks over at the bar.

"LAST CALL!"

Raven quickly heads towards it in a fast, brisk pace. As she reaches the bar, she lets out a loud sigh.

"Just made it! I'll have a mug of ale please!"

As she holds the mug of ale, she looks down at it and slightly frowns. She didn't drink, but it was free, and she needed to go to the bar in order to get a room for the night.  Raven looks over at a group of people that she was standing next too. She didn't know what they were talking about, or eve who they were, but they were drinking and that was a good thing. Raven approaches the group and holds out her mug of ale towards them, loose pieces of black clothing fluttering behind her while the spikes on her clothing glowed in the light of the fireplace. 

"Excuse me for interrupting, but I don't drink. Does anyone want this?"

As she stood there, a faint shadow was being cast behind her. 

Edited by voodoozombie (see edit history)

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 14/14 (1d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

As Harin sits and listens to the holy man and the brute, a scene he's seen repeated a hundred times in a hundred towns, he smiles slightly to himself.

Kazzador offers to refill his tankard for the last time this evening, but Harin shakes his head. He's had enough, and it's about time for bed. He downs the last of his drink and stands, clearing the last bit of ale from his throat as he does. He looks to the Saint and the Sinner and begins:

High road travelers

have pretty views over the low

Eyes cast down

forget roads higher still

Travelers of the low squint and wonder

Was it worth the climb?

Is a lonely road high or low?

Do you, cat, scorn the rats that fill your belly?

Do you, wallowing pig, hear the scoffs from the high horse?

swishing its tail with aplomb

at the flies that gather there

He chuckles to himself and starts to head for his room, already looking forward to the warm bed.

OOC

Set2b.png.9517fc0f6cee6f94682afd9d6a641fe2.png Setare Orfini

Charlatan Drow Rogue

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 9/9 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 10
Str: 9 (-1) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 13 (+1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Celestial

“My words,” Set says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Set thinks. | My actions . . .

Set's fingers twitch unconsciously at the sight of the brand, a muscle in his shoulder twitching almost reflexively. The mark there doesn't hurt anymore- hasn't in decades- but seeing something similar on someone else almost makes the sense memory of it kick back in. Rather than make that any more obvious, he simply reaches back over, and takes the rest of the drink for himself, shaking his head. Before he can retort, another cleric makes her way over, and he narrows his eyes faintly, but- well. She seems sensible enough. Not nearly so self-righteous as the old man, to say the least.

(The irony of him calling any of them 'old' is not lost on him.)

"Suppose there are some stains that aren't quite so easy to get out," he concedes at last, tilting himself forward. "Still, I did mean it when I said your stench could knock a man flat- do try and handle that before you go making any more overtures, hmm?"

To Tysh, he inclines his head, her words ringing truer than she probably realizes- especially once the old man starts speaking about weakness. People like him probably wouldn't know weakness if it bit them, taking unwillingness to capitulate to someone else's worldview as a moral failing instead of an ability to cling to their own beliefs.

"To some, unfortunately, there's an unwillingness to simply lend a hand so much as there is a desire to drag others beneath the yoke of their faith, sister," he drawls, eyes flicking to the priest. He slips off the bar, stretching himself to his full, lanky height- all near seven feet of himself- and inclines his head. "But most of us tend to prefer the approach as you describe it, even if we aren't quite believers. Oh look, a free drink-!" Motioning lazily toward the woman who'd arrived late- and nearly too much so to avail herself of the prerequisites for a room- he looks as though he intends for someone else to take it.

Goodness knows he's not taking anything from any spooky, dark-clad women if he can help it.

"If you get that cleansing situation sorted out," he adds to Rhortigern as he turns toward the stairs, "I'm in two-oh-five. Otherwise," a bow, and a wink to the assembled figures remaining, long hair sliding over his shoulder, "I bid all thee saints and sinners a good night. Let us all hope we'll live to see the morning- and perhaps even the night that follows, hmmm?"

OOC

OOC

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

At the conclusion of the bard's song, Tysh sets her mug on the table and claps appreciatively. She watches the bard and other guests begin filtering out of the bar as she listens to Karlov's response. With a wan smile, she finishes her ale, places the empty mug on the bar, and turns back to the group.

"We are all tools for different designs. A wrench can be used to drive nails into wood, but a hammer is the best tool for the job. We are here to guide, to support, and to honor each person's talents that make us stronger as a whole. Balance is key. Darkness is just as important as light, and serves its own purposes for our benefit when properly appreciated." 

She pauses to listen to Set, then turns to the newcomer offering her drink. Tysh declines the offer with a raising of her hand.

"You are most kind to offer," she says gently to the woman with the strange shadow and glimmering spikes, "but I have had enough to drink tonight. I, too, am heading upstairs to sleep."

Her eyes scan the members of her small group. "Although brief, I've enjoyed our conversation. Sleep well tonight. Perhaps I will see some of you in the morning."

With a polite smile, she leaves the group and begins to walk back over to the two girls. Her eyes catch Ardir's. For a moment, it seems she is going to say something, but she merely waves and gives him a small smile.

Tysh reaches the girls who remain nestled in the couches in a corner of the bar. "Alright, young ladies, it's time for bed. This is a strange place and I would feel better knowing you are both safe. If you are willing, you can stay with me tonight. I have a room upstairs with a bed you can both share. I will sleep on the floor with my bedroll. Before you protest, know that I much prefer that, anyway." She gestures towards the stairs. "Come now, gather your things and let's get some rest."

Kazzador disappears into the kitchen after topping off anyone's drinks that indicate interest. Mortimer Pent comes most of the way down the stairs and announces, "Thank you all for your patience and patronage. Your rooms have been prepared, and you may now retire." He then returns to his post near the door to the Inn. While some of the patrons linger a bit to finish their drinks and conversations, within the next hour everyone wanders up to a room and collapses. The beds of the Wightwatcher were warm and comfortable, and most, if not all, of the large group were able to quickly fall into a deep and restful sleep. Particularly for those that were native or a long-time resident of Falkovnia, it was a rare and notable event.