Jibber Jabber

Draidden

Previous knowledge of Greyhawk (the world of Flanaess to be exact, not the neutral colored raptor!) is not needed. Just a point of interest to those familiar with the setting.

And VERY Conan-like! Greyhawk was considered the 'original' setting of D&D used by Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson and others. As such, it's always had a special place in my heart compared to other campaign settings like Forgotten Realms and others.

Edited by Stiehle (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Stiehle said:

And VERY Conan-like! Greyhawk was considered the 'original' setting of D&D used by Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson and others. As such, it's always had a special place in my heart compared to other campaign settings like Forgotten Realms and others.

Me too. Add a dash of Jack Vance and some Gray Mouser.

Greyhawk is grittier and more a sword and sorcery slice of life story than epic high fantasy. In Forgotten Realms, your goal is to defeat the lich to save the world. In Greyhawk, you're invading the lich's tower to steal his stuff and if you manage to kill him and save the world, its probably a bit of happy coincidence. :)

13 hours ago, Stiehle said:

No previous knowledge of Greyhawk (the world of Flanaess to be exact, not the neutral colored raptor!) is not needed. Just a point of interest to those familiar with the setting.

Speaking of which, I had 3 questions relating to supplies and nutrition which I asked at the bottom of my character application thread. It is to help me understand better the parameters you use for those aspects of adventuring, and I will select my spells accordingly after that.

3 hours ago, Magiker said:

Me too. Add a dash of Jack Vance and some Gray Mouser.

Greyhawk is grittier and more a sword and sorcery slice of life story than epic high fantasy. In Forgotten Realms, your goal is to defeat the lich to save the world. In Greyhawk, you're invading the lich's tower to steal his stuff and if you manage to kill him and save the world, its probably a bit of happy coincidence. :)

Lol, amen to that.

On 9/23/2023 at 1:41 AM, Stiehle said:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Character Creation rules! Thanks, Magiker! Here they are:

All races/classes from the PHB are just fine, and if you want to ask about others from other books you can go ahead and make a request. I've got Xanathar's Guide, but that's about it as far as the others go. If you want a class or race from another book, you'll need to give me a rundown on everything about them so I can make a determination. Just cut/paste at the end of your Character Sheet or something.

As far as formatting your character sheet, this is my preferred style - please do your best to craft something similar. That way I know where everything is without hunting all over the place for abilities, feats, saves, etc. It'd be much appreciated and will certain make your character more likely to be chosen if I get a lot of interest in the game!

For attributes, let's use the following rules:

1) Roll 4d6 for each and drop the lowest result from one of those dice. You can place them anywhere you'd like. If you are REALLY unlucky and wind up with a total of +2 or less for the sum of your modifiers, go ahead and roll once more. But only once! Then you can go to option 2 below.

2) If you don't like your results from rolling the dice, go ahead and create a character using the point buy system.

3) If you've got a RANDOMLY rolled character with a total of +2 or less for the sum of your modifiers, but you want to go ahead and play them, I'll let you choose a bonus feat as a reward!

That's all I've got so far... More questions are certainly welcome!

'As far as formatting your character sheet, this is my preferred style - please do your best to craft something similar. That way I know where everything is without hunting all over the place for abilities, feats, saves, etc. It'd be much appreciated and will certain make your character more likely to be chosen if I get a lot of interest in the game!'

I used Stiehle Darkwing's post as close as I can understand it. Do let me know if I am missing something for your assessment. Thank you, GM.

4 hours ago, Stiehle said:

Correct, I'm at work right now but will definitely look them over tonight and make my choice before midnight. I'm in the USA in the EST.

Gotta love technology, for sure. I won't be playing with folks all over the world if not for it.

23 hours ago, Draidden said:

I am going to assume that we will not have access to new spells until after we have ourselves a nice, long rest.

Always a good feeling when the character levels up.

@Magiker, Rodnel uses a few things I don't know about. Portent and Runes are from another class? I could not read your character sheet.

45 minutes ago, Ensou said:

Always a good feeling when the character levels up.

@Magiker, Rodnel uses a few things I don't know about. Portent and Runes are from another class? I could not read your character sheet.

Portent is a standard diviner specialty ability for 5e wizards who choose that school.

Runes come from a feat. Its more obscure and mostly for flavor.

2 hours ago, Magiker said:

Portent is a standard diviner specialty ability for 5e wizards who choose that school.

Runes come from a feat. Its more obscure and mostly for flavor.

Very cool, seems like there are many new subsystems in 5e that I am still discovering. Looking forward to seeing how both work.

I have 2 questions for the group, one about the site and one about the game.

Am I imagining it, or did the number of game plans and game advertised decreased significantly on this new layout compared to the previous one?