Formatting getting lost during copy/paste

Hey there!

I’m running the site on the latest Firefox, and I have issues keeping the text formatting; there are a few things I’d like to point:

Whenever I copy/paste text, color is lost.  This happens by simply doing a copy/paste from (for example) my character thread to the campaign thread. It happens in both field-sets and the normal fields.

Custom text color won’t work. I can only pick colors from the default palette. HOWEVER, I can’t use default colors if I select them from the “recently used colors” row (which shows after using any color, custom or default).

There are problems doing a copy/paste from word processors. It works when I copy/paste a single line of text (or paragraph). But things get dirty when several paragraphs are involved, then all formatting is lost and I end up with a lot of spacing between paragraphs and plain text.

I think there’s a problem with the line breaks, which seem to add another line break during copy/paste among other things.

Also, as you might already know, there’s the “normal” line break which you can do by pressing “ENTER” in your keyboard, and there’s the “alternative” line break which you can do by pressing “SHIFT + ENTER”.

The normal break is formatted with a 1.5 or 2 pt spacing; can you make it 0 pt or "plain" (as in a notepad)? Right now, I must use the alternative line break to make the paragraphs keep decent spacing, but it also adds another layer of complexity to text formatting because it works differently than the normal line break.

Thank so much for your attention!
PD. I'm leaving a lot of space between paragraphs because this is how text looks when you copy/paste from the word processor.

Color being removed from copy-paste is intentional. Coloring from other sources does not work cleanly between themes--in particular, default black is impossible to see in dark modes, but there are many other colors that fail contrast check.

The color palette being broken is a known bug, being worked as soon as the issues with authentication and user data are fully resolved.

Default line spacing between paragraphs is there to meet modern web standards for readability. We should be able to take a look at the copy-paste from external sources and see what can be done to make it play more nicely; if you can, please provide a sample source document.

Also, when copy/pasting from one post on Myth-Weavers to another, you should be using the "clone feature", which keeps all formatting as well as colors. You can also clone from one thread to another. A third option outside the clone feature is to just copy the source code of the post you are copying and pasting into the source code of the new post. Again, all of the above is for copying for one Myth-Weavers post to another.

Copying from word processors, such as MS Word will give varying degrees of success due to the fact that they do not use html and your browser is trying to convert it to html as best as it can. Line breaks and formatting will always vary depending on what you are copying. The same with copying from other websites whose content is not compliant with the latest version of html and CSS. A great example of this can be seen when trying to copy from the old Myth-Weavers website to the new version of Myth-Weavers. Usually that runs into a lot of headaches unless you paste as plain text and reformat in the new version of Myth-Weavers so that the post is html 5 compliant.

The developers are doing what they can to alleviate as much of the issues as they can, but a lot is just due to the original source material not being compatible with more modern features such as themes and current coding standards.

Not to hijack the thread but about the clone feature. If you hit clone on a post, in a thread you can't reply to, is it supposed to be saved (say, to your clipboard, or appear in the next reply you start) so you can use it later? Or does it only clone IF it can immediately appear in the reply in that thread? I've had the problem a couple of times when a DM says like 'just clone this post' but you can't reply to the thread, so the clone doesn't really work.

If its not supposed to do those things thats fine but if it is then i might be doing something wrong.

Thanks for both replies, @Eric and @bwatford it gives me a better understanding of the situation! Since this is a place to report bugs and issues, it might seem the efforts put to make the site as great as it is are overseen, but that isn't the case, the website and the community are awesome.

Also @Neopopulas This was just the question I was going to make, awesome.

And in reply to colored text, I wouldn't be bothered if I had to adjust the color of text here if it respected the colors brought from the clipboard (with the exception of "default black", which should follow the website's theme). I believe it would be a matter of trial and error (on my side) until getting colors that works in both dark and light themes.

@Eric I am uploading the document for analysis. You can reproduce "the bug" without the attached file as well: If you pick paragraph format "Normal (DIV)" the 1.5 line spacing goes away, but it seems to come back after submitting the reply. I'm formatting this message using (DIV) style, if you see additional spacing between paragraphs in this reply, then it means the "DIV" style was ignored.

Sample text.docx

3 hours ago, Siryuu said:

until getting colors that works in both dark and light themes.

The "recommended colors" when you click the text or background color boxes are all colors that will automatically switch between themes for best readability too! If you do custom colors you'll have to experiment of course, and the recommended colors palate is still being filled out at the moment. 😄

1 minute ago, Colin said:

The "recommended colors" when you click the text or background color boxes are all colors that will automatically switch between themes for best readability too! If you do custom colors you'll have to experiment of course, and the recommended colors palate is still being filled out at the moment. 😄

Thanks a bunch for this!