OOC

Chaz Hoosier

@Lazeram I've been thinking about how this summon swarm will work, including talking about it with other DM's. The spell has a range of 25 feet, and since you are the bottom of a staircase that means you are 20 feet from the door. This means you have line of effect for two possible intersections. The swarm will take up a 2x2 square, which means one orc will be attacked by the swarm. The line in the spell that is giving me pause is: "the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. The caster has no control over its target or direction of travel." If that orc should die, the bats will attack the next closest living creature which could well be an ally. I know I haven't been handling swarms well so far, so I wanted to run all this by you to see if I have everything right.

That's the way I read it. I hadn't thought too well about the range, though. It is 25+5 ft/2 levels, so that's 30 in total for Gerbimble.
And if the bats are done chewing on the enemies, they will continue to attack allies (or the caster).
As the invocation is based on concentration (and not +2 rounds as the spell), Gerbimble can't use other invocations or attack while it is a active.
(Or perhaps it could be done with a high enough concentration check. IDK.)
That would also mean he doesn't need to dispel his own invocation, only dismiss it from his concentration, hopefully thus hindering the swarm from attacking his allies. :)