Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Out-of-Character Chat

TheFred

The party did fight a few of them already (those threads are on the OG site) and they took a bit to take down. If I recall correctly they are more wolves made to be more humanlike rather than typical lycanthropes and I don't think they can shift at all. Monstrous humanoid would be my best guess to what they'd be

Wolfweres are, in fact, Magical Beasts (with the Shapechanger subtype), seeing as they are wolves that turn into humans not the other way around. This much everyone knows (by now); the guard at the mines was an archer in humanoid form who then transformed.

They were tough, though note that at the time with was just Eustice, Kassandra and a bunch of L1 Human Peasants. They're only around CR4 each I reckon, maybe 5 at a push, but they have a decent bit of HP and some DR. Really though neither Eustice nor Kassandra are great at dealing damage - that's not a criticism, both are casters with less blasting and more utility, Kassandra has sky-high defences and Eustice put in some work with his Reserve feats but they are about staying power not burst so it takes some time to take anything tougher down with those.

Only cold iron weapons are effective against Wolfweres; the villagers offered cold iron equipment so if you want to add any ammunition or whatever to your sheets you can all do that - but it's all basic equipment, no magic weapons or anything.

Does Clem notice props / material components for the ritual? Or a ritual circle or something? (She's looking for ways to disrupt it without attacking.)

About how many wolfweres are there?

(She flies around the cavern once, FYI, in case that triggers something.)

I was going to post IC, but that would be a short post, so I'm asking for info here first.

AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT

It was presumed we know each other and have fought together before, including against the wolf-men.

Thus, it's likely we know our collective abilities in the dark.

Kassandra has darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision.

She also has a feather of Continual Flame (30 ft. radius), 1 Dancing Light spell, and the unlimited ability to generate a nimbus of light from her person that has a 20 ft. radius

I'm visiting family and stuff over this weekend; I'll try and get a post up, but I won't be doing any maps or anything for sure. Hopefully that won't be necessary, at least yet, but we'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

I had hoped to catch back up last weekend (or even the week before) but, best laid plans and all that, it turned out to be a pretty busy one, slightly unexpectedly. The next post is up now though, sorry for the delay.

For Clem's bit - correct me if I'm wrong, but Shadow Blend allows her to make Hide checks pretty much any time, which is very powerful, but she does still need to make a Hide check and probably at a penalty after taking an offensive action - the rules don't actually explicitly call out things like powers but moving (slowly) is at -5 and attacking at -20. I'm willing to grant that powers are stealthier than spells as you don't need any verbal or somatic components mind you.

I added a Hide check to my last IC post. I'll let you add/subtract to it as needed based on your final ruling.

I don't think we fully hashed out what Shadow Blend would look like in this game. There's a bit of discussion in Clem's thread, but no conclusion.
As a quick reminder, Shadow Blend grants total concealment, and Hide says "Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway."
The Special part is about Invisibility that "just" gives +20/+40 to Hide without obviating the need for a check. Shadow Blend doesn't specify whether it would need a Hide check / what kind of bonus it would give (if any) if a check is still on the table.

I don't mind needing a Hide check with a penalty, but indeed -20 would seem excessive. (Well, except if Shadow Blend gives +20 like Invisibility 😉 but that's probably too strong.)

Edited by namo (see edit history)

Confusingly, whilst invisibility confers total concealment, total concealment is not invisibility and I don't think Shadow Blend counts. Essentially I'd assume it lets you hide "in plain sight" almost... at any rate, I'd only be applying a penalty for attacking or similar, which I do think ought to be harder than just sneaking about sneakily.

It probably doesn't matter here anyway, because Malar has +whatever-I-want to Spot. And probably, like, True Seeing++ too. 🙂

10 hours ago, TheFred said:

I'd only be applying a penalty for attacking or similar, which I do think ought to be harder than just sneaking about sneakily.

Agreed, it only makes sense.

10 hours ago, TheFred said:

It probably doesn't matter here anyway, because Malar has +whatever-I-want to Spot. And probably, like, True Seeing++ too. 🙂

Oh, oh... Hurry up, people; you do not want Clem handling that Diplomacy (or whatever it turns out to be).

For Jezira's current positioning, how are the wolfwere's she's fighting arranged? Next to each other, one in front or behind or one in front and one to the side (or some other configuration). Just want to know what her options for tumbling movement would be here and whether it'd be tumbling passed or tumbling through.

As I recall, Jezira tumbled back to in front of both the wolves before, so they'll be kind of next to each other on the other side. The mines are low and cramped and the wolves Large but I figured we could probably just about fit two next to each other (even if I'm maybe bending the rules on their space slightly) - this is the main tunnel, after all, it's probably wider. That does mean that it'd be hard to get past them, if that's what you wanted to do - you'd have to Tumble through one of their spaces.

@evedgebah - Stone Shape only has a range of touch and affects a pretty small amount of stone. I'd be perfectly happy for you to attempt to ensnare some wolves with it but you'd have to be stood right next to one and right now everyone is still a short ways off where Jezira is fighting them (apologies to you all as there's no meaningful update with you, really, but Jezria is round-by-round now so I can't just advance you all the way in until she's managed to trade a blow or two - the perils of splitting the party!).