Season 2, Episode 1.1 - Headed for the Temple

prophane

Location: Garden Quarter, Domain of GreyhawkCost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.png
Date: Moonday, Third of Growfest (festival week)
Time: after 9am
Weather: Moderate, 56°, sky darkening, wind coming in from different directions
Sunrise/set: just before 6am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: Richard, Hank

Richard and Hank pass through the leftmost gate. This one is nowhere near as large or busy as the Cargo Gate. The City Watch manning the gate 26793afc8fe439c582b62bff911167ed.pngmake Richard and Hank go through the whole signing in process and check to make sure that Hank’s sword is legally registered. The guards do not seem to be too on edge, they are careful and deliberate in their dealings with everyone passing into the city via St. Cuthbert’s Gate.

Once beyond the gates, the Garden Quarter is seen, spreading out and up from the gates and wall to the right, up the gently sloping hill until it reaches the Grand Citadel, towering above everything. The green slope is dotted with numerous buildings, both small and large, surrounded by lush and colorful flower beds and marvelous topiary gardens. Immediately ahead is an odd building, apparently an inn or tavern of some kind. While it’s main building is of typical design, the tower on the front of the building seems to take the shape of a wizards hat reaching into the sky.

Beyond this strange Inn lies about the grandest structure ever seen. The Sacred Temple of St. Cuthbert rises into the air, gilded with gold and silver, numerous stained glass windows, and pennants and banners flapping in the wind. A large campground seems to be in place around the opulent house of worship and an large number of both City Watch and members of the Nightwatchmen’s Guild can be seen nearby. Several large, snowy white dogs are also visible near the temple, either lounging in the sun or wandering about the building. It seems a loquacious preacher is giving a sermon to a mass of followers from a low balcony on one side of the building.

Hank is pretty sure that the Temple of Pelor is on the far side of the Quarter, actually in the High Quarter near the Temple of Fharlanghn. He recalls seeing it the other day when they were over there, kinda near the old house with the blue men in the caves below.

Richard followed in the direction that Hank thinks the temple is, although if goes on for too long or it seemed like they're lost he'll ask a random passerby for directions.

OOC
Hank’s never been there from this direction, but he guesses that the main road ahead would take them over toward the Pelor temple.

Character Status

Hank HP 13/13 || FP 13/13 || 0-Enc 7/10, 1-Enc 5/9 || tired at 11pm
Richard HP 10/10 || FP 10/10 || 0-Enc 5/8 || tired at 11pm

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Richard-Cropped.png.35ed11fcb9eab2ecd8fa6d04174033e9.pngRichard

HP: 10/10 || FP: 10/10

Conditions/Effects: None

"... and that's how I became known as the Hero of Thunder Keep." Richard bragged about some of his adventures with Hank as they progressed through the streets. "I'm not allowed back there for obvious reasons but if you ever find yourself up there just mention my name and I'm sure they'll welcome you."

"Anyway..." Richard looked around. "You said you saw the temple of Pelor somewhere near here?"

Time: after 10am
Weather: Moderate, 60°, thick, low cloud cover, and mostly calm with moments of intense gusts

26793afc8fe439c582b62bff911167ed.pngHank listens to Richard's tales, believing every single word the charismatic rogue spits out. The unlikely duo make their way through the crowds near the tense gathering near the Temple of St. Cuthbert, then past the bustling High Market. Finally, the two travelers find themselves on the road that runs past the old house where they fought the little blue men in the caves below. To the right, the flower lined avenue should take them directly to the Temple of Pelor, but to the right, an expected sight greets both of them. Looking up at the forlorn structure, eyes widen seeing that the house has suffered some serious damage in the recent earthquakes. Half of the hill has caved in, no doubt collapsing into the underground cavern, and the whole back half of the house has fallen into a pile of boards, shingles, and other building material.

OOC
The temple is just down this side street, in the opposite direction as the collapsed house.

Character Status

Hank HP 13/13 || FP 11/13 || 0-Enc 7/10, 1-Enc 5/9 || tired at 11pm
Richard HP 10/10 || FP 9/10 || 0-Enc 5/8 || tired at 11pm

"Huh..." Richard said, looking over the ruined building. "That's too bad. I was kind of hoping we'd be given that building as a reward for all those time we saved the city, but now it's collapsed. I guess we'll have to think of something else."

Richard then walks into the Temple of Pelor to look for someone in charge to deliver the letter to.

Hank Armstrong, Farm Boyspacer.png

HP: 13/13 || FP: 13/13

Hank followed along with Richard, torn between the amazing tales of Richard's adventures, and the sites and sounds and smells of the city of Greyhawk. He was surprised at the destruction of the old house with the blue guys in the basement. I hope none of them guard fellers were hurt when it tumbled down. I feel bad we didn't get back to them afore we left town.

Hank starts as he realizes that Richard has proceeded into the Temple while Hank was gawking. He hustles after his teammate.

Weather: Moderate, 60°, thick, low cloud cover, and mostly calm with moments of intense gusts

The Garden QuarterThe Temple of Pelor is quite a different sight from that of St. Cuthbert's seen in the other side of the market.

The exterior of the Temple of Pelor in Greyhawk is a bit shabby and rundown, in stark contrast to the radiant deity it venerates. Weathered by the elements and time, the temple's facade exudes an air of faded grandeur. The structure is made of aged, weather-beaten stone, its once-vibrant colors now muted and cracked. Moss and ivy cling to the walls, adding a touch of natural charm to the otherwise deteriorating exterior. The windows, though stained glass, are smeared and clouded, obscuring the view of the interior. The entrance, marked by an arched stone doorway, has seen better days. The wooden double doors are worn and scratched, with peeling paint revealing the passage of countless seasons. Above the entrance, a faded and tarnished bronze plaque bears the symbol of Pelor – a radiant sunburst – though much of its intricate detailing is now indistinct. Flanking the entrance are weathered stone pillars, which once might have been adorned with flowers or decorative elements, but now stand bare and forlorn. Cracks in the pavement leading up to the entrance hint at the temple's age and lack of recent maintenance.The exterior of the Temple is a bit shabby and rundown, in stark contrast to the radiant deity it venerates. Weathered by the elements and time, the temple's facade exudes an air of faded grandeur. The structure isi made of aged, weather-beaten stone, its once-vibrant colors now muted and cracked. Moss and ivy cling to the walls, adding a touch of natural charm to the otherwise deteriorating exterior. The windows, though stained glass, are smeared and clouded, obscuring the view of the interior.

The entrance, marked by an arched stone doorway, has seen better days. The wooden double doors are worn and scratched, with peeling paint revealing the passage of countless seasons. Above the entrance, a faded and tarnished bronze plaque bears the symbol of Pelor – a radiant sunburst – though much of its intricate detailing is now indistinct.

Flanking the entrance are weathered stone pillars, which once might have been adorned with flowers or decorative elements, but now stand bare and forlorn. Cracks in the pavement leading up to the entrance hint at the temple's age and lack of recent maintenance.

A group of people are waiting outside, near the door. Despite the fact they are clearly not together, they all share a tense, anxious look about them.

There is an elderly woman, silver-haired and clutching her threadbare shawl tightly around her. A young street urchin, no more than 8 or 9 sits under a bush playing with some raggedy toys. A burly man with a bandaged arm leans against some stonework. His dirt covered work clothes marks him as a laborer or some sort. A wild-eyed musician, sitting on a frayed blanket, plays an out of tune guitar, the battered instrument case sits open in front of him with only a few copper coins in it. His only audience here are two young children standing near their mother's legs. They are skinny and dirty but trying to run and and dance. Their mother, who looks tired and distracted, holds each of them by the shoulder, absently gazing at the sky.

OOC
Just a crowd of folks waiting outside the temple.

Character Status

HP: 13/13 || FP: 11/13

Hank watched the crowd for a while. They all seemed to be waiting for something. He shrugged. He fished in his pouch. Huh. Money goes fast in the big city. Still, he took out two small coins. He tossed one into the bard's guitar case. "You play right nicely, sir." He turns and gives the other coin to the distracted mother. "And your kids are a treat to watch, ma'am. Real talented, I'd say." He looks at the crowd. "I take it we're all waitin' for the priests to open the doors?"

Hank spent $2

Richard shook his head at Hank's actions but didn't comment. Instead he walked right up to the door and knocked loudly. "Hello, anyone in there? I've got an urgent message about the situation at the Illuminated Pools that needs to be delivered as soon as possible!"

Location: Garden Quarter, Domain of GreyhawkCost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.png

The Garden QuarterThe musician smiles up at Hank and nods. He tries to say something, but seems to get caught up in the song he is performing and just shakes his head some more in thanks. As Hank steps away, the guitarist intensifies his playing, hoping to find more generous patrons like the big, blonde farmboy. When Hank hands the coin to the young mother, she first looks at him with a scowl. She turns the coin over in her hand and grits her teeth, as if ready to scold him for something, but instead, her eyes go misty and she hugs Hank. She sobs into his wide chest for a moment then releases him and scurries off to reclaim her children, who lost no time in running off to play the moment she let go of them.

Pelorian PriestessRichard is oblivious to the sharp stares he is getting from the other gathered people near the entrance to the Temple, or possibly he is just unconcerned with them. Just as he is impatiently prepared to knock again, the door opens, revealing a young priest of Pelor. She wears similar vestments to those Jeran was wearing, though not identical. She begins to speak, then stops and struggles with her words as she looks over Richard, paying particular attention to the hue of his skin and the horns protruding from his skull.

"Um, well, yes, how may I help you? If you are here for assistance, you will have to wait, there are several others already in front of you in line. The Church of Pelor help, um, helps all in need, though." She smiles weakly at Richard.

OOC

Character Status

"I'm afraid you have it backwards, Sister." Richard laughed. "We aren't here receiving help. My name is Richard, and my friend and I were the ones hired to help you!"

"Yes, that's right, I am that Richard. You probably recognize me as one of the heroes who defeated those invading orcs, drove off that dragon, and uncovered that nest of shapeshifters attempting to kidnap children all over town? I'm sure everyone's been talking about us recently. In any case a couple days ago a representative of your church hired us to investigate a possible threat to the ritual taking place at the Illuminated Pools, and my party and I managed to get there just in the nick of time to defeat a horde of creatures which had taken over the entire area. After we had cleaned up the invaders they entrusted me to deliver this letter reporting the situation to the Temple of Pelor as soon as possible. " Richard held up the letter.

"Is there someone in charge here that I should speak to or would you prefer I just leave this with you?"

Edited by cbenny (see edit history)

Location: Garden Quarter, Domain of GreyhawkCost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.png

The Garden QuarterPelorian Priestess"Illuminated Pools, you say? You are one of the adventurers that Jeran went seeking? Well, yes, of course. I will take the letter, thank you thank you." She accepts the letter from Richard and unseals it immediately. She scans the letter quickly and then nods to Richard and Hank. "May you always walk within his light. Pelor's blessing to you. Thank you, I will deliver this to High Matriarch Sarana immediately. Thank you for your service!" She turns and heads further into the temple, making no indication for Richard or Hank to follow or even to wait.

OOC

Character Status

HP: 13/13 || FP: 11/13

Hank blinks as the priestess turns away. "Thank you, ma'am!"

He turns to Richard. "Well, she seemed nice." He looks around. "I got a few coins left. Wanna see if we can get something to eat? Or should we join back up with the gang?"

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

"I appreciate the offer, but we should probably join back up with the others. I'm a little worried about what they might get up to without me." Richard said. "You can always buy us a meal some other time when things are less hectic."

Edited by cbenny (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Location: Able Carter Coaching Inn, Artisans Quarter, City and Domain of GreyhawkCost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.png
Time: around 11am

artisansquarter.jpg.6c5a3c8f1efafa482a706658f34b4d73.jpgUpon arriving at the Able Carter Coaching Inn, Richard and Hank are quite surprised to find out that Alvan is no longer employed. In fact he was let go just a few minutes ago.

They learn that the rest of the group was there and headed off together, but no one at the Able Carter knows where. One of the drivers says he thought he heard therm talking about finding new lodgings. Alvan and the others had all gathered their personal belongings and left. Richard and Hank's stuff is still being held but someone offers it retrieve it for them.

OOC

I assume you want to retrieve your gear?

Character Status