The Carelesss Jester Tavern, Pre-game OOC

The Eyeball Kid

Ohhh, shiny! I was hoping someone would run this campaign! What sort of theme are you expecting? Is it going to be gritty, given the horrific elements? Or are you looking for a different tone? I have a character idea, but I could go a couple of different ways with the personality from serious to somewhat comical.

I appreciate your feedback!

It won't be comic but I doubt that I can do anything without elements of levity. Comic or light-hearted elements to a character are definitely welcome. Heroic fantasy, especially for the earlier portions of the campaign, will be the prevailing mood. I don't intend to go bleak or terribly grim, heroic fantasy will dominate throughout, but we'll definitely veer off into fantasy horror, including cosmic/eldritch and the likelihood of some body horror, in the latter half.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

I have tasked myself with an interesting challenge and I want to double-check something.

I am making an old elf... literally older than Neverwinter. I am going to lightly fill in his backstory as such but I wanted to make sure you think its ok? As part of his age, I thought he could know some of the characters who may have trained under him when he was more active with the Neverwinter Guard / Greycloaks. IE: He knows Silas because he was his first weapons instructor or something.

@Taigains To a certain extent I suppose age is just a number. I do have to wonder how old you were planning on making him though. Moon/High Elves typically live about 750 years, Neverwinter is about a century shy of twice that old (founded in 87 DR, currently 1491 DR for Phandelver). Also, I'd have to wonder how he is first level at that age if he's been at all active. I mean, it's a question that gets asked with younger elves as well and typically gets answered with some variant of 'since elves have time, they take their time' but he's seemingly really been taking it slow. You think he'd have gained at least 300xp somewhere along the line in a long guard career....

Short answer, I won't rule it out but I'd be interested in hearing a bit more of what you have in mind along the above lines.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

@TaigainsYou think he'd have gained at least 300xp somewhere along the line in a long guard career....

Short answer, I won't rule it out but I'd be interested in hearing a bit more of what you have in mind along the above lines.

Ah! This is my favorite part of this idea. He actually did reach "level 20" as a Eldritch knight fighter. But in the tragic conflict that he was the line survivor he took heavy heavy damage to his body. In addition the emotional fallout has left him unable to use his magic as he had before, his character arch over the course of the campaign would be similar to relearning skills he once had, or trying to find ways to do things differently because he cant do it the same way as before. Instead of being a fighter he's a barbarian, and he cant control his magic except for a single cantrip which is the wild magic path!

I could get behind that. I do wonder how people, like Sildar, who knew him at his prime regard him now. I'll try to have a look over what you've got and get back to you tomorrow or the next day.

Regarding the founding, is this what you were referring to: "This trend lasted, seemingly unbroken since its founding[26] until the Year of Wild Magic, 1372 DR" because that doesn't say it was founded in 1372 it says the trend of it being a center of civilization lasted until then. I didn't see a straight answer on the founding in the article I linked, the closest I could see it coming was in the Etymology section where it suggests it might have been established in -10 DR. I did a separate search which suggested the date was 87 DR (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter#Fictional_description).

This might change your timeline some, but the basic idea could still work.