Tank/Crew Naming and Customization

Paxon

Tank Name Final Vote  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should the name of the tank be?

• Tia
    • Boom Box
    • Defiant

Tank/Crew naming and customization.

I’m just going to make this its own thread, so it doesn’t get too mixed up with other OOC conversation. There are a few decisions to make about the tank and crew now that players are selected.

1. What is the tank called?

It has a designation, but what is it known as in the wastelands. What’s its name? Behemoth? Monster? Dominator? Betsy? Blasty McBoomerson? You decide. If nothing else, everyone throw up a suggestion or a few, and we can vote.

2. What is the crew known as?

The crew likely has a name as well, although it could just be “The Crew of the [Tank Name]”. But might as well have a cool name for a kind of mercenary group that has now existed for generations. Here are some examples from fiction as inspiration: Bridgeburners. The Black Company. Avengers. Inglorious Basterds. Rico’s Roughnecks. Suicide Squad. Again, come up with some suggestions, and you all can pick.

3. Crew Build Options

I selected feats and talents for the Crew entity. These are open for customization. If you all can come to a consensus on some that would be changed for the best, I am open to that. I’m also going to put in place a system for retraining these as we go, which will mostly be devoting hours to as a whole crew. The tank and crew both will be things y’all can keep customizing as we go along.

Edited by Paxon (see edit history)

Ariane is contractually obligated to vote for 'Blasty McBoomerson', though she humbly suggests 'Trogdor the Burninator' as a second choice. 

More seriously, there's a few things I can think of to draw inspiration from: The tank's original designation 1A-X B3 could be turned into a name with some squinting and creativity. Could also look at the Tank's history as a force of good in the Wastes and consider epithets that those the crew has saved over the years has given it. The tank's appearance - invariably very intimidating - could also factor in.

As for the Crew name, I'm drawing a bit of a blank at the moment. I'll think on some ideas while I'm at work.

Edited by M3mentoMori (see edit history)

I am honestly terrible at coming up with names. Though I also thought of using the original designation as a name. The Jaxbe is the first play off of 1 A-X B3 I came up with but it doesn’t hit a chord emotionally and doesn’t roll off the tongue. 

I have no idea what to do about the crew name. I keep wanting to just plagiarize TV group names like The A Team but I feel we can do better. 

Well, if you rearrange the designation (and squint a little bit) 1 A-X B3 becomes B3AX1, which kinda looks like Beast.

So, 'The Beast' might be an option, although its somewhat cliche.

As for a crew moniker...probably we could riff on whatever name we choose for the tank.  Then again, 'The Crew' actually works just fine IMO.  But I'm only one of six, so... 🙂

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

Other options might be allusions to the tank fighting against Kaiju/monsters/bandits.  Slayer, Devastator, Silver Shield, The Sword, The Hammer, Golden Arrow, etc.

Physical characteristics also work.  The Turtle, The Rock/Rocky, Hedgehog/Porcupine (for all the defensive spikes), etc.

Then there's abstract stuff.  Indomitable, Unstoppable, Inevitable.

Even place names.  Serenity (:D), Ohio Valley, Krakatoa, Vesuvius.

Lots of options.  Just have to find something that resonates with us all.  🙂

Heh, great minds think alike I guess, because I was also thinking of riffing off the original designation. The one that springs immediately to mind for me is The Axe, for obvious reasons, which isn't half bad. (Possible Crew name as the Lumberjacks? Not sure I love that one). Similarly, The Tax, but I don't like that one as much. Tank 1A may also be written as T1A, which looks very similar to Tia, spanish for "Aunt," which is something I could see a tank crew calling their machine.

All that being said, and I know this is wildly uncreative, but I've kind of come to just like "The Tank." I'm not as crazy about simply "The Crew," but it's not terrible, and I like that they're both so generic, which sort of enhances how exceptional they are - if someone is just talking about "the tank" and/or "the crew" and everyone knows who what they're talking about, that must be something pretty special.

For something a little more inspiring, there's "The Survivor" or something similar but quirkier - "The Outlaster," "The Endurance," "The Sustainer," etc.

Edited by PigLickJF (see edit history)

Well, if we are going to go with something more descriptive, I'd suggest the Defiant. Although, that is partially because naming it Enterprise is a little off since one was a warship, the other less so.

Another thought would be to name it after a mythological character. Thor comes to mind off hand. But anyone/anything big enough could work. 

A final thought, we could go with the Winged Hussars. The originals were an elite cavalry force when by all rights the age of horsemen should have ended. Having one of the last remaining tanks would put us in a similar situation, while also keeping the shock value of a heavy, neigh unstoppable charge. Toss in a suitable flag for the branding, and it would be a name that a reputation could get behind.

I can get behind that on the condition that we have a suitable speaker(s) for playing music, treat said device as a vital and sacred part of the tank, and have a collection of 'old world' music suitable to blast as we blaze across the wasteland.

46 minutes ago, Djacob91 said:

Well, if we are going to go with something more descriptive, I'd suggest the Defiant. Although, that is partially because naming it Enterprise is a little off since one was a warship, the other less so.

Another thought would be to name it after a mythological character. Thor comes to mind off hand. But anyone/anything big enough could work. 

A final thought, we could go with the Winged Hussars. The originals were an elite cavalry force when by all rights the age of horsemen should have ended. Having one of the last remaining tanks would put us in a similar situation, while also keeping the shock value of a heavy, neigh unstoppable charge. Toss in a suitable flag for the branding, and it would be a name that a reputation could get behind.

16 minutes ago, Djacob91 said:

I can get behind that on the condition that we have a suitable speaker(s) for playing music, treat said device as a vital and sacred part of the tank, and have a collection of 'old world' music suitable to blast as we blaze across the wasteland.

I can get behind either of these.  The history buff in me likes the Hussars, but the 80's Hair Metal kid in me REALLY likes the idea of going into battle with something like "It's the FINAL COUNTDOWNNNNNNNNN!!!' blaring out of some outrageously huge speakers.  The mental image is just awesome!!!