Tank/Crew Naming and Customization

Paxon

Tank Name Final Vote  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should the name of the tank be?

• Tia
    • Boom Box
    • Defiant

3 hours ago, M3mentoMori said:

Sabaton is cheating

I was really leaning towards the whole 'massive speakers and heavy metal' thing, but damn...Sabaton really is cheating.

Suppose we could combine the two ideas.  We, the crew, could be the Winged Hussars (or just Hussars for short), and this could be one of the songs we often play on our big ass speakers.  😄

And we could name the tank something like The Hammer or The Fist or Devastator or something equally bombastic and martial.

I'm not too big a fan of Winged Hussars, personally. It's fine; got good historic background, an excuse to play Sabaton, thematic, but the name itself doesn't really have the same oomph, if you get what I mean? Maybe it's just because I don't know much about them, but I don't really think anything amazing when I hear the name, as opposed to fighting forces more mainstream like Spartans or whatever.

Maybe we could call the tank the Winged Hussar, and go with a different name for the crew? I like it as a tank name better than a crew name.

I'd like to suggest we think in-character for what our tankers would want to call it. Tanya's background has her as a 4th generation tanker, so she'd want something that harks back to tradition and what the tank has been doing for the last 100 years or so. So things that suggest protecting the population from the monsters (dinosaurs, and maybe Kaiju if those are killable by tanks). Maybe something slightly boring like Protector or slightly fancier like Aegis as one of the words might make sense; maybe some more aggressive name, like Beastkiller.

Does the tank get renamed every few years as the crew evolves? If so, it could be cool to make up a list of what it was called in the past, in case some rarely-visited town remembers one of the old names. If not it might have a name created by the original crew. That might raise the prominence of names based off the original designation.

The crew name ought to be based off the tank name - or, possibly, a former especially prominent group leader (like Tagon's Toughs in Schlock Mercenary, but alliterative with whatever we call the tank).

I'd probably avoid the idea of having the name change regularly. Slight evolutions over time based on changing cultures is one thing, but a complete renaming seems against the idea of tradition. Which does mean that a more serious name might be better.

As for crew names, part of me likes putting Dragoons in it somewhere. Being mounted infantry is sort of right for the role, has that military tone that would probably be in from the beginning, but also feels lacking on its own. Needs some flare added.

Well, if we're thinking of a name that would most likely have been given to the tank by the original crew, who were proper US military, and have it be something inspirational, how about 'The Indomitable'?

That's suitably badass, as well as calling out how tough she is, and could have an morale boosting effect on people when we come rolling into town.

As for the crew name, I get where you're going with the Hussars thing.  It's just that, for most people, it's kind of obscure, and, while the military history buff in me does think it's cool, I'm still not sure it's quite right.

Of course, that could just be my inner nitpicker. 🙂

I do like the idea of a Boom Box/ Loudspeaker system on the tank. 

As for names, something simplistic that would be passed down from the original crew would be good. I do kind of like the Tia suggestion earlier. It harkens to the original designation and most ships and vehicles seem to be personified as feminine when named. 

If we went with that we could go alliterative with the Crew name and call ourselves Tia’s Tankers. 

4 hours ago, dalamb said:

Does the tank get renamed every few years as the crew evolves? If so, it could be cool to make up a list of what it was called in the past, in case some rarely-visited town remembers one of the old names. If not it might have a name created by the original crew. That might raise the prominence of names based off the original designation.

I'm open to renaming through the years (up to you players), but I would have at least one of either the crew name or the tank name be consistent and recognizable through the generations. It is entirely possible the tank was rebuilt so much at times that the crew rechristened it with different designations. Or even number it. Boom Box VI; Furious Tia III; Indomitable XII, etc.

A fair number of people seem to like The Boom Box, but I also agree with harkening to the original designation. Maybe Pax would be willing to slightly alter the original designation to Tank 1B-X A3, that could account for it. 

Breakers I just thought was a funny addition because of the alliteration, I'm definitely open for something else for the crew.

If we do go this route, who gets to be this guy? :image.png.93fb7a9411053d049908fe2307d8abf9.png