Tank/Crew Naming and Customization

Paxon

Tank Name Final Vote  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should the name of the tank be?

• Tia
    • Boom Box
    • Defiant

Yeah, I'd be fine changing up the designation to be in line with the eventual name. I kind of like Breakers too, but this one is up to you all for sure. I don't think there's a poll available, but we can keep the discussion going here, and figure out a way to vote if a consensus isn't reached more organically.

10 minutes ago, PigLickJF said:

If we do go this route, who gets to be this guy? :image.png.93fb7a9411053d049908fe2307d8abf9.png

Too bad no one made a Bard with a flamethrower. Wasted opportunity 😉 (Though one of you technicians can rig up a Chemical Thrower Grand Gadget still and put a bunch of skill points in perform: strings)

So far, we've got the following suggestions (I just listed every name someone suggested):

Tank Name: 

The Tank
Jaxbe
The Beast
Slayer
Devastator
Silver Shield
The Sword
The Hammer
Golden Arrow
The Turtle
The Rock
Hedgehog
Porcupine
Indomitable
Unstoppable
Inevitable
Serenity
Ohio Valley
Krakatoa
Vesuvius
Wastes Tyrant
Tyrant of the Wastes
The Axe
Tia
The Tank
"You're Gonna Need More Men"
Defiant
Boom Box
The Fist
Winged Hussar
Protector
Aegis
Beastkiller
Tiny Tia

Crew Name: 

The Crew
Hussars
Winged Hussars
Valkyries
The Crew
Dragoons
Tia's Tankers
Breakers

I'm thinking we maybe do a few more suggestions, then have everyone pick a couple names and slap all those together in a list and vote on which ones we like. Probably with Approval voting, since that's easy enough to set up a strawpoll for.

I kinda like just 'The Crew' for the crew, as it has an implied fame/infamy to it. You don't need to specify who they're the crew of; there is only one Crew of note.

7 hours ago, bcool999 said:

I do like the idea of a Boom Box/ Loudspeaker system on the tank. 

As for names, something simplistic that would be passed down from the original crew would be good. I do kind of like the Tia suggestion earlier. It harkens to the original designation and most ships and vehicles seem to be personified as feminine when named. 

If we went with that we could go alliterative with the Crew name and call ourselves Tia’s Tankers. 

6 hours ago, Djacob91 said:

Tiny Tia and Tia's Tankers?

This works.  And if the tank was originally based in the SW US, it works even better, given the large percentage of Spanish speakers in that region.

I vote for Tia (Tiny Tia works as well) and Tia's Tankers.

EDIT:  Can we call the main cannon 'LA Chancla'? 😄

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

I could go for Tia Blindada (armored auntie  according to the sometimes dubious Google Translate), Tia for short, and Tia's Tankers. I'm imagining some history behind it all that I could write up if most people like the name.

It looks like I can set up a poll, but I'd need something to populate it with. So I think I like Mori's suggestion of an approval vote at this point is a good one. I already see a few semi-votes, but let's just have everyone make one more official "vote" post from each of you.

@Arklytte @M3mentoMori @dalamb @bcool999 @Djacob91 @PigLickJF please make a post and include each name you like for the Tank, and each name you like for The Crew (which can include "The Tank" and "The Crew" as choices of course). You may vote for as many choices as you want, you don't have to limit it to one (though you can). It is not ranked, just list them out. We'll see which names get the most votes and go from there. Reference Mori's post above with the collected names for everything mentioned so far.

The Tank

• Choice A
  • Choice B 
  • Choice C
  • etc...

The Crew

• Choice A
  • Choice B
  • etc...

Edited by Paxon (see edit history)

Are we going with majority rule, or do we rule things out if someone is seriously unhappy with a proposed name? Because on the one hand I really like Tia (by far my favourite of all the proposals), but if it spoils Mori's fun, I guess I could come to accept some of the others.  In any case, I have a half-formed tale of Brigadier General Tia Anna-Maria Gonzales and why the tank was named after her which I might try to write up if the name doesn't get vetoed.

Tank Names:

Defiant

Aegis

Boom Box (If not the original name possibly as a renaming after the crew got killed and some people recovered the tank and took up the creed after?)

Tia

Crew Names:

Breakers

Tia’s Tankers (With the titular Tia as the tank name)

Wasteland Reclaimers (Random one to throw in)

This seems like the right place to include the story...

How Tia Got Its Name

According to legends passed down from the time of the Apocalypse, the Last Tank, Tia, was named for Brigadier-General Anna-Maria Gonzales. She was in charge of the experimental division that included the battalion of state-of-the-art main battle tanks, the Indomitable-class 1A-X series, named for the B1 unit that was first off the assembly line. Gonzales was a lead-from-the-front general, so was herself in the field when disaster struck. She assumed direct command of the Indomitable after its lieutenant was killed; it was her leadership that kept seven of the gargantuan machines going for the first few weeks. She worked out the first tactical manual for dealing with the new dangers – the first line of which was avoid kaiju at all costs.

1A-X B3 happened to be under the command of José Manuel Gonzales, the general’s nephew. As military discipline slowly relaxed into a kind of professional camaraderie, José took to calling his leader “Tia Gonzales,” and the crews of the platoon started using the same epithet. She accepted the designation with good humour – as good as it could get when, over the next few months, one after the other of the survivors fell victim to the new post-Apocalypse dangers. The second to go was 1A-X B1; Tia Gonzales survived, badly injured, and moved her command to the B3. As numbers dwindled, the designation slowly shifted from the woman to the tank she rode. When, two years into the collapse, she finally succumbed to her wounds, the crew of the last tank, 1A-X B3, formally named their machine after her. Within a generation the “Gonzales” name was dropped, and The Tank, the only one left, became Tia, and her crew Tia’s Tankers.