Season 3, Episode 4 - A New Leaf

prophane

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.89c8158bc776b213fed9a599ccdbbe4b.png
Date: Sunday, Second of Growfest (festival week)
Time: around 3:15pm
Weather: Warming 68° and very humid
Sunrise/set: just before 5am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: Drez, Hinami, Kelvan, Lera, Maria, Zurana

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegimage.png.587b7d2a782ac0d51bf4ca3e29f10b37.pngOne of the locals rushes off to find Master Gelbor of the Loggers' Guild. The other locals continue to watch the returned adventurers but none bother the group.

The one-armed Dhiir speaks quietly, "Much sorrow for the loss of yer companion. I know that pain all too well. I were a Dreadwalkers in my younger days. That's how I lost me arm, among other things. It's a dark place, the Dreadwood, though tales I've heard of late make it out ta be even darker these days. When yer ready ta talk, I'll have an ear for ya, but if ya only need ta drink, well I got that too," he says as he refills any empty cups.

After not too long, Master Gelbor enters the Broken Oak. He is ecstatic to see the group returned with the chest and the remains of two loggers. He is saddened by the news that not everyone made it out alive though. "I am truly saddened by your loss," he says, "but I am eager to hear what you discovered at the camp and cut site. Anything you can tell me is useful."

OOC

Found: 2 dead loggers, 1 iron-bound strongbox (2 healing potions, Dreadwalker scroll case, folded parchment) weighs 17lbs

Lost: 1 dirty ranger

Character Status

Drezghl HP 17/17|| FP 14/16|| Combat Move/Dodge 7/10 ||

Hinami HP 12/12|| FP 10/12|| Combat Move/Dodge x/x ||

Kelvan HP 9/9|| FP 10/12|| Combat Move/Dodge 6/10 || Bless +1, Sense Observation (0), Trace (1)

Lera HP 13/13|| FP 13/15|| Combat Move/Dodge x/x ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 11/13 || PI 0/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

Zurana HP 20/20 || FP 13/15 || Combat Move/Dodge 8/12 ||

Healing

Maria

Minor (Subject/ Healing Times today/ Penalty for next casting today)

Major (Subject/ Healing Times today/ Penalty for next casting today)

Lera

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

Sister MariaSister Maria

HP: 10/10 || FP: 11/13 || PI: 0/5

Conditions/Effects: N/A

Maria declined the alcohol offered to her but was very forthcoming with details about the trip to the forest to any adventurer that asked.

When Master Gelbor arrived Maria introduced herself to him as a Cleric of Myhriss, saying that she joined the group just as they were leaving town. She tried to describe what she saw of the camp and cut site as best she could.

OOC:

Drezghl Half-Orc Mercenary

HP: 17/17|| FP: 6/16|| Conditions/Effects: 

Drezghl sat quietly and drank his drink. There was no need for him to tell the tale of the Dreadwood again. There were others who could tell it better anyway.

Lera

HP: 13/13 || FP: 15/15 || Conditions: -0 to Will

Lera listed to Siste Maria spin her tail, it was good. But, it was not good enough to forget that she was in those woods.

OOC

spacer.pngZurana

ST 17 | DX 13 (15) | IQ 10 | HT 15 | Will 1115 vs Fright Checks | Per 14 | Speed 7 | Move 7 | Reaction: +4/+2Appearance (Beautiful)
HP 20/20 | FP 8/15 | DR by LocationSkull 9
Face 3
Neck 3
all other locations 8
| DefensesDodge 11, Parry 15 | Encum: Light | LanguagesCommon (accented, literate/broken)
Ordai (native, literate)

Current Conditions: None

Weariness growing within her, Zurana was happy to let Maria take the lead in relating the tale. She chimed in where she thought necessary, adding details about the bandits, plant monsters, general irritations of the Dreadwood, the logging camp, the Dreadwalkers Valyerin and Junior, the owlbear, the loggers found at the base of a mudslide, the terrible 'mad tree' with thunderous power, and the twisted monstrosities that were a local and his dog. It had been a harrowing quest - but the group had returned with the bodies of the loggers and the requested chest and its contents.

As the tale-telling wore down, Zurana hoped that Gelbor would not keep them much longer. Best to hasten with what pay Kelvan had negotiated and let the party get some rest.

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.89c8158bc776b213fed9a599ccdbbe4b.png
Date: Sunday, Second of Growfest (festival week)
Time: around 3:30pm
Weather: Warming 68° and very humid
Sunrise/set: just before 5am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: Drez, Hinami, Kelvan, Lera, Maria, Zurana

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegimage.png.587b7d2a782ac0d51bf4ca3e29f10b37.pngMaster Gelbor listens to the tale, as does Dhiir and everyone else nearby. The Logging Guild master opens the chest and confirms that the map and logging writ are intact. He breathes a sigh of relief. He then passes the two healing potions toward the group. "The least I can do, keep these. As for payment, the agreed upon amount was 150 Lions to investigate and report on both the cut site and the campsite, plus returning the chest. You have done so as asked." He produces a small coffer and places it on the bar. Unlatching the lid, he folds it back, revealing three rows of gold coins. "The Logging Guild and Keoland appreciate your service. Thank you," he nods slightly, nearly a bow, and takes his leave.

As Gelbor leaves, Dhiir leans back in, "You said that Twitchy, err, I mean Thimas and his hound were there in the forest, and that they weren't, well, weren't normal anymore? That is ill news. Did you share that information with the Dreadwalkers you encountered? They will need to know for sure," he says, a concerned look on his face. Then he slams his fist on the bar and shakes his head and offers a wide smile. "So, another round of drinks?" he asks, glancing at the gold filled coffer.

OOC

Found: 150 gold coins (worth 1500$ works out to 250$ each)

Character Status

Drezghl HP 17/17|| FP 14/16|| Combat Move/Dodge 7/10 ||

Hinami HP 12/12|| FP 10/12|| Combat Move/Dodge x/x ||

Kelvan HP 9/9|| FP 10/12|| Combat Move/Dodge 6/10 || Bless +1, Sense Observation (0), Trace (1)

Lera HP 13/13|| FP 13/15|| Combat Move/Dodge x/x ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 11/13 || PI 0/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

Zurana HP 20/20 || FP 13/15 || Combat Move/Dodge 8/12 ||

Healing

Maria

Lera

image.png.c43cb4aa63005617044070dee34a7056.pngDrezghl Half-Orc Mercenary

HP: 17/17|| FP: 16/16|| Conditions/Effects:

Drezghl finally finished his drink. He laid a silver coin on the bar and gave the bartender a nod of respect. He scooped up Splitter and his pack and then walked towards the door. Halfway across the room, he stopped to talk to the dark elf.

"Take care of the coin and give me my share later. I'm going to find a room and sleep for a day or two. When I wake up, you can buy me a meal and tell me about that cave or mine full of gems or whatever you were talking about. There has to be an easier way to get rich."

He clapped him on the shoulder and walked out the door into the fading afternoon light.

Edited by Caffeine11 (see edit history)

Hinami Human Swordsmanimage.png.38b568c3535aa38c3f9cdc19bafeef34.png

HP: 12/12|| FP: 11/12|| Conditions/Effects: Will -1 (Basic Speed, 7)

Hinami will have one drink in respect for fallen comrades, then he will nod to the others. "Drezghl has the correct idea. I aim to bathe, sleep, then eat, and repeat that for a day or two. Then, I will be ready for our next ... adventure. Does anyone know of any jobs that are waiting for us?"

He will then leave the inn (after having gotten directions to a bathhouse and a place for a room). He will enjoy a long, luxurious bath and then sleep.

After breakfast the next morning, he will begin carefully 'detailing' his equipment (his armor had the sticky pollen stuff on it, etc.). Once he is satisfied with the condition of his equipment, he will head to the bathhouse, again, on the theory that they will soon be taking cold water washes in streams again ... enjoy the luxury while you can.

OOC

Sister MariaSister Maria

Prior to setting off on this mission, Kelvan had described Maria's inclusion in the group as something akin to a 'tryout period' during which she would be unpaid. As such, Maria looks at the gold but does not immediately reach out to claim any of it.

Instead, Maria broaches the subject of joining the party on a more permanent basis. She admitted that she had somewhat underestimated the perils of actual adventuring life and felt that entering a spider infected forest had not been the best venue to showcase of her abilities, but pointed out the few helpful things she had managed to do along the way, and expressed her resolve to improve herself and aid them in the future.

She still did not know exactly why Myhriss had lead her to this place, but felt strongly that remaining with the group was important for some reason.

OOC:

When Hinami finishes his bath, he will go down to the common room, looking for the rest of the group (if people are not there, he will end up banging on some doors to get them there).

"Kelvan... I believe you received the money from the loggers for our work. Are you going to apportion that out, or keep it as a common fund? In addition, we need to decide whether Maria can and should continue with us - I vote she should - and decide what to do next."

"Before we ended up in that forest, I thought we were looking for a sink hole full of gems. I suggest we continue on that path."

OOC

"Kelvan"spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 6/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0), Trace (1)

Kelvan, obviously as weary as his teammates, sighs. "There are rumors of a gem-filled pit or dungeon. I was hoping we could tackle that next."

He mutters. "This altruism crap is not worth the effort."

Then he puts his head in his hand and sighs. "Here is your share of the take. It includes the portion of what might be considered Maria's share. Do with it as you will."

IIRC, the Logging Guild paid out $1500. That means there are six shares of $250, or five shares of $300. Hinami got $300, for example.

Basically Kelvan is seeing who would really give up some of their own money to Maria.

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

After thinking for a moment (clearly from his expression, working through the math) Hinami takes his pile of money, counts out $50, and passes that to Sister Maria.

OOC

Taurelin - FWIW - that electric blue is VERY hard to read on my screen....

Sister MariaSister Maria

Maria expressed her gratitude toward Hinami (as well as anybody else who offered her a share of the reward), and used part of it to arrange a room for the night at the same inn as the others. Her expression showed some amount of disapproval at Kelvan's comment about altruism not being worth the effort but lets it slide.

After the conversation was completed she spent some time see if she could find a church or shrine in town where she could recharge her staff, but otherwise had no immediate plans or suggestions for the future.

OOC: Only one person has posted in-character that they are giving a portion of the reward money to Maria, so I haven't added anything to my sheet at this point in time.

spacer.pngZurana

ST 17 | DX 13 (15) | IQ 10 | HT 15 | Will 11 | Per 14 | Speed 7 | Move 7 | Reaction: +4/+2
HP 20/20 | FP 8/15 | DR by Location | Defenses | Encum: Light | Languages
Current Conditions: None

Zurana was glad when the talking was over with. She was physically weary and mentally drained from the group's ordeal within the Dreadwood - and she was eager to have time to rest and recover. She had sincerely hoped that they would have found the lost woodcutters in time to return them alive, but after enduring the cursed forest, Zurana knew that they were fortunate indeed to have found the bodies. Plus, they had rescued the two Dreadwalkers and returned them to the care of their fellows. Given the dark magic of those woodlands, Zurana was willing to call their quest a success and be satisfied with their good work.

When Gelbor handed off the promised payment, Zurana hauled herself from the bar to collect her share from Kelvan. To the dark elf's distinct non-surprise, Zurana left behind enough coin to cover her part of Maria's equal share. While in Zurana's estimation and observation, the young priestess' power had proven less effective than their own friend Lera's faith and magic, Maria had nonetheless endured the same horrors and dangers as the rest of them within the forest - and in Zurana's mind, that was enough to warrant her share of the spoils.

With coin in hand, Zurana was happy to offer some to the eager Dhiir. She paid for a hot bath, laundering for her clothing, and cleaning and repair for her armor. Her sword Wolfrazor would be tended by Zurana herself later in the night - with appropriate rituals and prayers that would leave her missing her homeland and her father. She would return to the common room - freshly bathed and dressed in little more than a spare tunic with her red hair wet and loose across her back. She indulged in a decent meal and purchased two rounds of inexpensive spirits - one for herself and one for Ereh. She had considered spending more for the truly 'good stuff' but she dared not insult Ereh's memory with fancy drink when a cheap shot of whiskey would do the job.

When the conversation among her companions moved toward their next move, Zurana voiced her willingness to follow the group's preferences and Kelvan's direction. If a quest of gem-hunting was popular with the rest, she would happily follow along. Her vote cast, she indulged in a private room for herself and Lera and bid her friend good night.

Tabletop

Zurana collects her $300 share and donates $50 to Maria's share.

She spends $8 total for a hot bath, laundry service, and armor maintenance. She spends another $20 on a good meal for herself and two rounds of cheap spirits for herself and Ereh's memory. Finally, she'll spend $15 to indulge in a private room for herself and Lera. The two women usually share a room with each other when the group has the coin for it. If Lera insists on splitting the cost, Zurana won't argue - but she's also fine with covering the cost this time.

"Kelvan"spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 12/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0)

Kelvan swirls his glass, savoring the robust harshness of a strong red. The crew had dispersed as soon as they returned to Burle, each choosing to refresh themselves in their own fashion. He ponders the current situation from the position of a well-fed, well-bathed, job-well-done businessman. Of course, we'll need a new scout. Ereh will be hard to replace. Maybe Zurana knows another barbarian wise in woodcraft...

A voice speaks. "A penny for your thoughts?" He glances up. Lera, the cleric of Trithereon, looks down at him with soft eyes. She is looking at me with sympathy, almost sadness. Why? Ah, yes, Ereh. The fallen teammate.

He adopts a weak smile. "It's never easy losing a friend. I was just reminiscing..." Like when we wandered the battlefield on the beach, slitting the throats of wounded enemies before joining the rest in the cave with that priest fellow. Good times...

He waves a hand languidly at the other chair at the table. "Would you ... care to join me? Times like these are easier shared, don't you agree?"

$15 - sleeping in private room together with friends
$10x2 per good quality meal with identifiable foods
$15 per quality wine/ spirits
$2 Hot Bath
$1 clothing laundered
Rounded to $65

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)