Ch 2: Awake from the Dream

wrathgon

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_12/Adrian.png.18396d04116b52ec48c095f9f5eb4b71.png

Seemingly agitated by either question or something else in the report, maybe the fact that for once all went right but the things he wanted, maybe just his new meds, if he took them this time, had side effects. It could be 1000 different things when Adrien was concerned and neither pleasant. He shifts his gait and all but throws papers in front of Kaelan "You still know how to read reports I hope, this guy had a hell of a secretary." he opens the door and yells, unnecessarily by the way "UNLIKE ME!!!"

"From what two prodigies we were gifted by, managed to drag from that raw mess they recovered from his lab. Are all from "Subject K". What happened to subjects from A to K is unknown but it can be only assumed it was unpleasant enough that it dissuaded this coward from going beyond pure genome experimentation."

Adrien again mumbles under his voice something about ethics shackled simpletones while searching for something on his pad and showing it to Kaelan. They are two genes, a normal human one, and a normal Troll one without the presence of the Virus. Scribbles under both genomes are done by hand and Adrien likely saw the transcript since now there were more rows of small smudges. "According to our mysterious geneticists in their current state vaccines have to be administrated before the META gene is activated, he doesn't elaborate on it, but as...he tries and fails to find Farhvans name...one of the loaners mentioned, words "current state" were underscored too many times to count. He likely thought cure is possible."

Adrien says "He should've gone to kindergarten and tested the theory if he had any guts, he just got lucky." But begrudgingly adds, "However as far as we saw with locating and deactivation or replacement of the genes it works, we'll have to wait until we finish the entire sequence, then by your quivering voice when you said..." Adrien mockingly mimics Kaelan's voice "Are you talking about using eugenics on children?" "We'll likely need approval for the testing on sentient... there is no way we'll start in like 8 months. Thank all gods of the multiverse the guy who is doing this is a spineless fugitive of the law because even with his needless precautions he'd have the cure up and selling while we still play with sheep."

"So, no this bleeding heart tear-ducts would be full as the mere thought of making a little child suffer.Let alone something as barbaric as Eugenetics." There was a small pause and a certain smugness on his face "But I DID find something, ME and not those two lab lapdogs and I want full credits."

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Encoh does as little as possible to draw attention to himself and doesn't make any efforts to pursue the data further. Normally, he'd be indignant at being left off of important research, but he is smart enough not to tangle with a literal mad scientist.

5 minutes ago, evedgebah said:

Encoh does as little as possible to draw attention to himself and doesn't make any efforts to pursue the data further. Normally, he'd be indignant at being left off of important research, but he is smart enough not to tangle with a literal mad scientist.

OOC: As I mentioned to Wrath, when I read logs this dude wrote Captain and Samuel seem positively not only sane but relatable 🤣

OOC: Even disregarding his obsession... he certainly has a few issues.

Kaelan endured the man's words, as overbearing and hubristic as they may have been. For all of it, he had missed her point. As his words became more directed at her, she unconsciously gripped her table. Her grip tightened and tightened as it built...

She was out of her chair and a hair's breadth from grabbing him up when her restraint arrested her movements. Her fist balled up and she took a partial step back as she remembered to use her words. They were tight and carefully managed to start, "That it must be used on the young was clear. As was the necessity for it..." A large finger came out and pointed at him accusingly. Her tone then slipped dangerously, "What was not addressed was the right we have to make changes to the results. Wholly changing a person from one to another, or trying to create something new." Dark anger hung on her last point, "Or to selectively remove a whole outcome from future generations."

Behind her, a slightly mangled, metal table leg could be seen with the clear impressions of her fingers.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_12/Adrian.png.18396d04116b52ec48c095f9f5eb4b71.png

Adrien looks at the finger "My dear, you are in horrible need of a manicure. Our job depends on the cleanliness of samples and when one's claws could break steel-plated gloves I think lab ones might not suffice." As unable to contain the energy although it undoubtedly caused him discomfort he stood up and moved around the table closer to Kaelan either unthreatened by her size, or unable to comprehend the size difference, or indeed that he might be in danger.

"See you are partially right, your bellyaching appears to be the reason why he never tested or used it, it would also explain why he wanted to write specifically to you. You are the only one involved in this unreasonable enough to worry about consent. Also, the reason his attempts were narrowed to children. When one thinks as you it is clear. He wanted to give it to you, so you could explain it to parents so they could give informed consent. Quite a bleeding heart for a monster and bioterrorist."

Adrien grins "How fortunate then we got our hands on his work and neither of you will make a final decision. I already sent my findings up the chains. As you said, we have no right to decide such things, that's why we have people above us to make them...unbiasedly of course."

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpg.0b1d54b38bb30c907b6880386afd5049.jpgGiven his experience with more than a few disgruntled krogan, Farvhan took a somewhat defensive stance when Kaelen began to show signs of agitation. He couldn't blame here really, something similar had put him off certain research assignments in the SIM. Fortunately, it looked like the woman had more self control than krogan did. Still, ethical concerns aside it seemed that Enoch and he had been successful. Though Farhvan bristled at being called a "lap dog" by a man he could probably break in half if he had to, it did give them a decent out of the situation.

He quirked an eyebrow. "A bit bold to send things along without consulting the rest of us. Though if you want to put your neck out for something yet unproven, well I won't be fighting you for the honor. "

OOC/Mechanics

There is a near-manic glint in the Adriens eye. "You disapprove, but at least call it as it is...Bold." He moves from the Troll and seemingly calms. When he next addresses Farhvan is in an almost indifferent tone he points at Kaelan. "We will run in circles for maybe a year. Say 4 months to do a full sequencing, then present the results for the review. Then giving motion for testing on animals, then waiting, then testing on animals, then (if all goes right) sending approval for testing on Humans and METAs, then waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting!!! Now is the time for action and yes, to be bold."

Adrien raises their head in what is supposed to be a dignified pose "Do not fear every contribution your friend made is cataloged and sent with a report. It's the only right thing to do, cover my ass if this backfires that is. But with the new research I unearthed I doubt that will be needed." He returns back to his seat "I don't see why all discontent, just a few minutes ago Kaelan said that we are not fit to make decisions for such multitudes, so I sent it to someone who is. If our good doctor does not have confidence in the benevolence of our employers, she is free to go and say so. They will take it well, no doubt."

Instead of the comments on her appearance further stoking her anger, she seemed to shy away from it self-consciously. The man had a big mouth, but if he had as he had said, it was out of their hands. Her glaring eyes never left Adrian, even as she took a handful of heavy breaths. When had finished with his crowing, she spoke in a more even tone, "You have provided them with little more than untested bits of science." A humorless chuckle came from her, "No... worse. It is our best guess at something we barely understand yet. Undoubtedly filled with countless promises and lacking any of the possible ramifications or consequences." She hunkered back down on her oversized seat before firing one last barb, "Your boldness could derail this whole project. Adding more time than was saved."

As the time comes to an end of the vote there is only one vaulter left. They look for him but no one can find him. Hours pass then there is a system wide msg sent to every device on island and with open access across the maxtrix.

A video of a vaulter in a uniform orgional mitilary from vault. " Greetings my fellow vaulters, i Lt brick am here to tell you we have been lied to!!! I held tgis while in the Sim and survive multiple attempts to silence me. Others known what i know but either have kept silence or are disappeared! I am last vote but you still have time to wake up! Change your votes don't live under these killers!"

He looks over his shoulder then continues " Am uploading logs taken from our communication system that go back to the beginning. These show that we were under their rule for 50,000 years not 10,000!"

Type on his keyboard and files appear the dates on them are from 50,000 year ago 5 log files. Then another 5 files for last 5000 year 1 for every 1000 years.

"These show we are no more than lab rats breeding when the AI say and with who, and thrown away when population gets too high!!! We are not human being but test subject to get best smartest human for them!"

"When we breeded too much they cut the herd sending the less intelligent out to look for other vaults so they say but as we are on island how and where did they go???? Look at the logs, they show all of these purges across thousands of years!!!"

The signal is split with grand councillor red anger face " what have you done!!!! The vote is close now we will tally last votes and announce the results!!!"

A 3rd split screen comes on with council of races faces " This citizen has not voted and until he does you can't count votes!" Say the human rep. You hear the vault leader say to someone " Find him I don't care how!" Then addresses the councilors " you have no authority over my people!"

"No I don't but I do have over the accords so stand down or we will not yet you finish..??..

"The thing is my dear colleague, is that you don't know what I sent." There is an involuntary twitch on his damaged side that he suppresses "You can only assume." He acknowledges the message "And they assume in their innocence otherwise, that we are one big happy family. So go on and vote that you agree. Or your descent by not, the outcome is already been decided I assure you." There is a brief unpleasant smile on his lips for a second before he returns to his work.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:27 PM, wrathgon said:

As the time comes to an end of the vote there is only one vaulter left. They look for him but no one can find him. Hours pass then there is a system wide msg sent to every device on island and with open access across the maxtrix.

A video of a vaulter in a uniform orgional mitilary from vault. " Greetings my fellow vaulters, i Lt brick am here to tell you we have been lied to!!! I held tgis while in the Sim and survive multiple attempts to silence me. Others known what i know but either have kept silence or are disappeared! I am last vote but you still have time to wake up! Change your votes don't live under these killers!"

He looks over his shoulder then continues " Am uploading logs taken from our communication system that go back to the beginning. These show that we were under their rule for 50,000 years not 10,000!"

Type on his keyboard and files appear the dates on them are from 50,000 year ago 5 log files. Then another 5 files for last 5000 year 1 for every 1000 years.

"These show we are no more than lab rats breeding when the AI say and with who, and thrown away when population gets too high!!! We are not human being but test subject to get best smartest human for them!"

"When we breeded too much they cut the herd sending the less intelligent out to look for other vaults so they say but as we are on island how and where did they go???? Look at the logs, they show all of these purges across thousands of years!!!"

The signal is split with grand councillor red anger face " what have you done!!!! The vote is close now we will tally last votes and announce the results!!!"

A 3rd split screen comes on with council of races faces " This citizen has not voted and until he does you can't count votes!" Say the human rep. You hear the vault leader say to someone " Find him I don't care how!" Then addresses the councilors " you have no authority over my people!"

"No I don't but I do have over the accords so stand down or we will not yet you finish..??..

@evedgebah @darlis moonbeam 

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpg.0b1d54b38bb30c907b6880386afd5049.jpg[I'm assuming we've time skipped passed the medical research shenanigans?]

While Farhvan had been expecting something dramatic to happen when the votes finally came in, but some 11th hour whistleblower certainly caught him off guard. Still, given what they had uncovered about the higher ups the information did make a lot of sense. The question was, of course, what to do about it.

Using their secure channel, Farhvan contacted the rest of his crew. <<Well seems like the atmo is about to vent from this place. What's the play here sub-badah? You know me, I'm always in favor of a little liberation, but I won't do anything regrettable without go ahead.>>

OOC/Mechanics

Enoch is both surprised and not by the report. He was expecting some kind of commotion, but the exact type was unclear. AI selectively breeding humans was an intriguing concept, and one who's data he keenly hoped to acquire. He responds to the party <<What benefits us the most here? How can we get what we need out of this?>>