Recruitment Questions/Chat

TheFred

5 hours ago, TheFred said:

Well, yeah, if that's what you want to do.

I'd prefer not to dip into 3rd party archetypes if we can help it. You can already get PBM if you really want it, after all. Since that's post-L3, though, I guess we don't need to make a final decision right now, not if it doesn't impact on you too much at the moment; I wouldn't rule it out, anyway.

Oversized TWF should be fine to be honest; if you're planning to dual-wield guns, well, that's unlikely to be overpowered, let's be honest.

Oh! I thought it required +6 bab.. Not sure how I missed th at lol *time to modify my feats*

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Not that I know of, and I suspect that since most religions probably predate the popular use of guns, it's a bit unlikely... but I think a Cleric or Warpriest type ought to be viable one way or another. How much do you need it to be a favoured weapon? Warpriests can apply Sacred Weapon anyway by taking Weapon Focus (bit of a feat tax, but at least it's possible) but anyway the damage is meh until high levels and worse than just a plain old revolver until L10 anyway.

1 hour ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Is there a diety with pistol as a favored weapon? Or perhaps With guns everywhere, perhaps Brigh would now have Pistol or Musket? I'm thinking a cleric or warpriest type....

There is apparently one, but it is neither a weapon nor a deity you are likely to want:

https://www.aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Cixyron

34 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Casandalee has firearm as favored weapon..

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Casandalee

This would work, if it were allowed. :) It is something from a 1E AP (Iron Gods)

I got a crazy idea in mind of a Gun-Monk, with Crusader's Flurry, he'd be able to flurry with the Firearm as it would then be a Monk weapon... He could take the Amateur Gunslinger feat to get deeds and such....

@TheFred - Or, would you allow this Archetype? Gunmetal Mystic (from Flaming Crab Games) - basically a Firearm version of a Zen Archer....

Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Laird_Thorne said:

I got a crazy idea in mind of a Gun-Monk, with Crusader's Flurry, he'd be able to flurry with the Firearm as it would then be a Monk weapon... He could take the Amateur Gunslinger feat to get deeds and such....

I think I saw this in the movie Equilibrium..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CheV1nBvuTs

13 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I think I saw this in the movie Equilibrium..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CheV1nBvuTs

Yep, really fond of that. Shows a bit of Christian Bale’s range as an actor….

also inspired by Bulletproof Monk and other John Woo.

@TheFred Ok, another couple of questions. :)

1) According to many sources, this bit from the Ascetic Style feat means that the chosen weapon does the damage of the monk's Unarmed Strike. Is that how you see it as well?

Benefit: Choose one weapon from the monk fighter weapon group. While using this style and wielding the chosen weapon, you can apply the effects of feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite, as well as effects that augment an unarmed strike, as if attacks with the weapon were unarmed attacks.

2) With the gold, instead of magic, etc can we create a custom weapon?

15 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

@TheFred - Or, would you allow this Archetype? Gunmetal Mystic (from Flaming Crab Games) - basically a Firearm version of a Zen Archer....

I'll take a look at it, but I can also suggest just taking Rapid Shot. 🙂

1 hour ago, Laird_Thorne said:

@TheFred Ok, another couple of questions. :)

1) According to many sources, this bit from the Ascetic Style feat means that the chosen weapon does the damage of the monk's Unarmed Strike. Is that how you see it as well?

2) With the gold, instead of magic, etc can we create a custom weapon?

1) Ascetic Style is a pretty wonky feat and oddly worded. Yes, that is how it's worded, but it's clearly not as intended because Ascetic Style then automatically makes Ascetic Form redundant. 🤷‍♂️ Still, if you want to "upgrade" your 1d8 revolver damage to 1d6 fist damage, be my guest. 😃

2) When you say "custom weapon", do you mean like a magic weapon, or like a gun with a crossbow attached that shoots tonfas or something? 🤨

3 minutes ago, TheFred said:

1) Ascetic Style is a pretty wonky feat and oddly worded. Yes, that is how it's worded, but it's clearly not as intended because Ascetic Style then automatically makes Ascetic Form redundant. 🤷‍♂️ Still, if you want to "upgrade" your 1d8 revolver damage to 1d6 fist damage, be my guest. 😃

2) When you say "custom weapon", do you mean like a magic weapon, or like a gun with a crossbow attached that shoots tonfas or something? 🤨

There is that. :)

Hehe I actually was considering that for using something like a rope dart. For the custom weapon, I was thinking a custom Nine-Section whip, adding Reach.. (kind of making a cross between a Nine-Section Whip and a Rope Dart)

3 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

There is that. :)

Hehe I actually was considering that for using something like a rope dart. For the custom weapon, I was thinking a custom Nine-Section whip, adding Reach.. (kind of making a cross between a Nine-Section Whip and a Rope Dart)

A dwarf or feat/trait that lets you get access to dwarven things, can dual wield two reach weapons with a couple feats.
Dorn-Dergar, Dwarven with Dorn-Dergar Master (Combat), Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, etc.

Kill Bill fight

I don't think just upgrading existing weapons makes a lot of sense. Potentially we can work something out if you're looking for something very particular, but honestly there are quite a lot of weird weapons already in PF. Does the nine-section whip give you something unique that the double-chained kama, for example, does not? (Double-chained kama is perhaps a bad example as it has pretty weird/badly-written rules, but you get the point)

On 9/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, TheFred said:

Just in case, I found the Gunmetal Mystic for the UC Monk…

Gunmetal Mystic

Gunmetal Mystic
From the weapon adept to the zen archer, many monks understand that physical weapons 
can be vessels for their skills and ki. The gunmetal mystic is simply keeping up with 
the times, blending their ancient fighting traditions with the cool metal of the present. 
They find that bullets can channel their ki energy into a devastating strike, and it is 
said that their foes fall as if lightning from god had smote them down.

The gunmetal mystic is an archetype of the monk class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The gunmetal mystic is proficient with all firearms in addition to the normal monk 
proficiencies.

Gunsmith
At 1st level, a gunmetal mystic gains a battered firearm identical to the one gained by 
a gunslinger. The gunmetal mystic also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 1st level.

Grit
At 1st level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s grit ability. At the start of 
each day, a gunmetal mystic gains a number of grit points equal to his Wisdom bonus 
(minimum 1). A gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s quick clear and gunslinger‘s 
dodge deeds. In addition, a gunmetal mystic with the Stunning Fist, Elemental Fist, 
or Punishing Kick feat may use those feats with firearm attacks as if they were unarmed 
strikes.

This ability replaces stunning fist.

Flurry of Blows
A gunmetal mystic may use this ability with a combination of unarmed strikes, firearm 
attacks, and pistol whips (once he gains the pistol whip deed at 3rd level). A firearm 
attack made as part of a flurry of blows does not provoke an attack of opportunity from 
its target if it is threatening the gunmetal mystic; however, it still provokes from 
other creatures threatening him.

Note: To make a firearm attack multiple times with Flurry of Blows, the firearm must 
either carry multiple loads, or be able to be reloaded as a free action.

Bonus Feats
A gunmetal mystic gains a bonus grit feat at 2nd level and every 4 levels thereafter. He 
must meet all the prerequisites for the feat, using his monk level as his effective 
gunslinger level.

This ability replaces the normal bonus feats gained at those levels.

Pistol-Whip
At 3rd level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s pistol-whip deed. When making a 
pistol whip, he may use his unarmed strike damage die if it is higher than the pistol 
whip damage die and treat it as an unarmed strike for the purpose of using his ki pool 
to overcome damage reduction.

This ability replaces the Ki Power gained at 4th level.

Ki Pool
At 3rd level, a gunmetal mystic can treat ki points as grit points for any gunslinger 
deed gained through this archetype. In addition, his Ki Strike allows his firearm to 
be treated as if it were an unarmed strike for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

At 5th level, as long as the Gunmetal Mystic has at least 1 Ki point in his pool, 
he may add his Wisdom modifier to damage with a firearm.

This ability modifies ki pool.

Lightning from God (Su)
At 5th level, a gunmetal mystic may spend 1 ki point as a swift action to imbue the 
next firearm attack he makes within 1 round with his inner power. If the attack hits, 
it deals an extra 1d6 points of damage; this damage comes from pure ki power and 
bypasses all damage reduction. This damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. At 
9th level and every 4 levels thereafter, the additional damage increases by 1d6, to a 
maximum of 4d6 at 17th level.

At 13th level, the gunmetal mystic may apply the extra damage to two of his shots.

This ability replaces the Style Strike gained at these levels.

Targeting
At 7th level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s targeting deed.

This ability replaces the Ki Power gained at 8th level.

Lightning Reload
At 11th level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s lightning reload deed.

This ability replaces the Ki Power gained at 12th level.

Slinger’s Luck
At 15th level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s slinger’s luck deed.

This ability replaces the Ki Power gained at 16th level.

Stunning Shot
At 19th level, a gunmetal mystic gains the gunslinger‘s stunning shot deed.

This ability replaces the Ki Power gained at 20th level.

Also, for the Pistolero Gunslinger Archetype - does the Pistol Training ability shift to 1st level like the Gun Training it replaces?

Huh. What I actually said was, you get Gun Training at L1, and still get whatever you would have had at L5 at L5. However that doesn't make sense, because Pistolero gets Pistol Training, which is basically just a modified Gun Training, so you should get that at L1 - otherwise by L5 you'd basically have double Gun Training.

I shall modify the character creation rules accordingly.