A comeback to PBF

Tecmes

Hi there!

Found the site roundabout through a Roll20 annoucement...

Was active some years back, playing in Woldian Games (left when management decisions started making no sense), PBM.com (best experience was Blue Giant there) and my home-made crazy PBF Ars Magica no-rules multi-faction campaign.

After a few years I was put off by PBF/PBEM a because of numerous non-starters, weird "mature" games, and snobbery regarding "writing skills".

Game-wise, I really appreciate a style that puts the focus on interesting, short posts that leverage the written medium without going into personnal novellas or mood boards.

I like light, tongue-in-cheek universes, because it guarantees no boring posts, just as well as stern, serious stuff and oddball ideas.

Personnal faves, though mostly secret desires: old-school Paranoïa, Shadowrun (with replacement rules...), Autoduel, Conan and Cugel (the universe, not necessarily the games...).

I don't do 5E.

Edited by Tecmes (see edit history)

Sounds like you'll like Myth-Weavers quite a bit. Funny you mention Paranoia. They have a new edition out now, but I went looking for a PDF of the old school version. No such luck, at least nothing other than a bad scan without bookmarks.

But there are a lot of great games and a lot of great players on this site. PbP has come a long way over the years.

Take a look on eBay …. I managed to pick up a hard copy of the 2nd edition rules (arguably the best version in The Computer’s not-so-humble opinion. What? Knowledge of any other edition is Treasonous, Citizen) in excellent condition. Wasn’t cheap, but not unreasonably priced, and there’s plenty of 1e/2e materials on there to choose from.

On 10/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, Tecmes said:

Hi there!

Found the site roundabout through a Roll20 annoucement...

Hell of a way to find the site, honestly, but I'm glad you found us. And don't worry - plenty of us here are not 5e fans, so you'll find kindred spirits easily enough.

Anyhow, in case you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to our Baldr User Guide, which contains several handy links that you will likely find useful. We do things a touch differently than some other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. You'll want to swing over by our Game Ads section to check that out! Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details.

We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (of all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to OSR to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support or have players for. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways. There is much to be gained by going outside of the box, after all.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel, especially if you have questions. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly 😂

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

On 10/2/2023 at 7:33 AM, Powderhorn said:

I also get the impression you'd like the "Without Number" series of rules sets... ;)

Now I'm curious about that statement! I'm almost done reading through CWN and I wonder if there's a specific reason you have that impression?