OOC/Brainstorm BlackFinch's Game

SMARTAgentKC

35 minutes ago, BlackFinch said:

Sounds good to me.

@BobtheWizard I also think it will be more fun to play together. My experience consists of a single tabletop session and a solo game. But I am aware of the basic rules. Starting at lvl 3 would be more challenging since I never played a druid before and I also never played a character that wasn’t level 1, but I’d be open to try. I’d also be open to start from one. Whatever suits the campaign. I suggest you play the role you most enjoy playing, enjoying the experience and learning from it counts a lot more for me than ‘winning’, if that is even a thing in DnD.

Maybe let's start at level 3. It's a little more forgiving than level 1, and with two level 3 characters, @SMARTAgentKC may not need to make any changes to a level 1 adventure. This seems like more of a dungeon crawl, so maybe I'll play a dex-based paladin. We can still sneak around, but I can melee, smite and heal a little.

If you want help with druid spell selection, I like goodberry, healing word, absorb elements, faerie fire, and thunderwave at level 1, then summon beast, spike growth, heat metal, and flaming sphere at level 2.

A sheet would be nice. I recommend the online ones here at mythweavers if you want something free.

Level 3 is also fine that should make the initial difficulty a non issue. Although I will have to admit that this will be my first time running this adventure.

For stat generation I recommend point buy.

You can create new topics to post your character's information and once you're setup I'll start the simulation

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost done with my character now, only need to add some details. I’m not sure about the starting equipment my character should have. I am sorry it took a while, I had a busy week. Usually I will at least be able to make two in-character posts a week, is that pace ok by you guys?

Since we start at level 3 and I’ve never done that before, could anyone tell me if the starting equipment is the same as starting at first level? So the stuff that comes with class and background?

Edited by BlackFinch (see edit history)

Great! Glad to have you still here. I think it's starting equipment plus 1 uncommon magic item. You could probably start with studded leather armor too.

With a ranger now with us, I changed up Zorian's mechanics to be a more traditional STR based paladin. Less effective at range but better AC and HP.

I'm ready whenever everyone else is.

11 hours ago, BlackFinch said:

I am almost done with my character now, only need to add some details. I’m not sure about the starting equipment my character should have. I am sorry it took a while, I had a busy week. Usually I will at least be able to make two in-character posts a week, is that pace ok by you guys?

Since we start at level 3 and I’ve never done that before, could anyone tell me if the starting equipment is the same as starting at first level? So the stuff that comes with class and background?

technically speaking by the DMG rulebook when you start at anything from level 1 to 4 you start with the starting equipment and that's it

However for this game I'm allowing people to get whatever they want/need (within reasonable limits) from the adventure gear, weapons, armor, and tool lists that they want plus a choice of a +1 weapon or any common magic item as long as they tie it to their backstory. My goal in doing this is to not prevent anyone from being able to use all their abilities at their disposal just because they didn't have a particular item on hand from just starting equipment and background equipment.

6 minutes ago, SMARTAgentKC said:

technically speaking by the DMG rulebook when you start at anything from level 1 to 4 you start with the starting equipment and that's it

However for this game I'm allowing people to get whatever they want/need (within reasonable limits) from the adventure gear, weapons, armor, and tool lists that they want plus a choice of a +1 weapon or any common magic item as long as they tie it to their backstory. My goal in doing this is to not prevent anyone from being able to use all their abilities at their disposal just because they didn't have a particular item on hand from just starting equipment and background equipment.

I had only started with chainmail. Should I switch to splint or plate? Probably not plate.

Oh, and can you move PixCO's character thread to this game?

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

I think I finished my character. I still consider buying and/or selling some equipment, but still not really sure on what's allowed and what is not. If I understand it correctly, I have the starting gold from my background (25gp) now and can earn more later? I would like my character to start with all the toolkits he's proficient with (cartographer, mason, herbalist) but I'm not sure where I can find what their price is. And if I sell an item, can I also look up it's worth?

Edited by BlackFinch (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, BlackFinch said:

I think I finished my character. I still consider buying and/or selling some equipment, but still not really sure on what's allowed and what is not. If I understand it correctly, I have the starting gold from my background (25gp) now and can earn more later? I would like my character to start with all the toolkits he's proficient with (cartographer, mason, herbalist) but I'm not sure where I can find what their price is. And if I sell an item, can I also look up it's worth?

He's letting me start with splint armor and a +1 shield, so I think it would be fine for you to take studded leather armor and all the toolkits. For a magic item, you could consider either a +1 wooden shield, or a +1 moon sickle, which helps your spellcasting.