The Web of All Torment - IC

cailano

image.jpeg.e37cda82f6054a86c95ecdf39ac00720.jpeg

Shaun

Shaun takes in the cavern to make sure they're not walking into immediate danger before adding to Novia's comment.

"Right... 'Here sleeps so-and-so' might literally mean the resident is simply partaking in unnatural rest."

As he follows the dwarf's lead Shaun tries to take in what is scrawled on the headstones, as light from the lantern Novia carries allows.

Examining the Graves

Flickwit checks the graves for religious symbols, but the graves only bear names. You recognize several names as former guests at the inn, and one of the open graves has Dalia's name on it.

Shaun tries to find some pattern in the candles, but there doesn't seem to be one. The candles themselves seem normal, and there are puddles of wax under them. They must be replaced regularly. Shaun also notices grave markers that seem to have had candles in the past but don't right now. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to those, either. It's as if someone is replacing candles but not doing a very good job of it.

Doorfin looks over the grave construction. Most are made of scrap wood, a few are carved from stone. Some of the stone headstones have one name scratched off and another gouged in below it.

The Peculiar Headstone is made from stone and has a single name: "Ms. Alice Goldkind."

Exhaustion

As you're examining the graveyard cavern in relative peace, the adrenalin rush you've been riding since you touched the lead coin begins to subside. In its place comes exhaustion. Except for Novia and Doorfin, all of you are malnourished and ill-kept. Your bodies are no longer accustomed to your adventuring lives.

You need rest, but imagining a "safe" place in this nightmare version of the Kozy Kobweb is hard.

** OOC: It will take one hour to rest up and avoid any consequences for fatigue, but that's another hour for Malice to come find you. If you press on without resting, everyone will need to make a DC 10 Fort Save or suffer penalties. Both the save DC and the penalties will get worse over time.

noviahead.png.0aad9db0440817af095a8026bd942d99.png

Novia examines the ground around the headstones especially Alice's headstone. Has any of the ground been recently disturbed?

HP 12/12 AC15 Luck 12 Ref+1 Fort+1 Will+2 longsword+2 d8 Sling+2 d4 Spell Check +4 Disapproval: 1

The empty graves seem recently dug. You find that there is one for each of you, along with those you've lost already. The grave markers already have your names on them.

Ms. Alice's grave isn't open, but the ground does seem freshly disturbed.

spacer.png

HP 24/24 | AC 16 | R+1 F+2 W+1 | Luck 11/13 (+1) | Init. +0 | Speed 15' | Combat

"Ah cannae mane heads're tails uh it," Doørfin said as he scratched absent at his beard, axe still clutched in his hand.

Then a terrible, horrible idea struck the Dwarf.

"What if these really are fer us? Are we... Are we dead?" he asked soberly.

"Our graves are still open, so we are still alive for the moment. This cavern is too big - we need to get moving. " Novia suggests.

HP 12/12 AC15 Luck 12 Ref+1 Fort+1 Will+2 longsword+2 d8 Sling+2 d4 Spell Check +4 Disapproval: 1

spacer.png

HP 24/24 | AC 16 | R+1 F+2 W+1 | Luck 11/13 (+1) | Init. +0 | Speed 15' | Combat

The warrior-smith shook his head.

"What if we were dug up? What if Malice is down in tha' dirt restin' up?"

Flickwit2(Custom).jpg.cad6e0b5defdce653e3966f12e109357.jpgFlickwit shakes his head, though its more like he's shaking the cobwebs of bad thoughts from his head than disagreeing with the dwarf.

"No... no I don't think we are dead, or disentombed. I think we were all trapped here by some malignant worshipper of that horrid spider beast outside -" he shudders tremendously at the mention of the titanic monstrosity outside. "And for some reason it seems to enjoy our butchering and our misery. It tricked us into devouring..." His stomach churns, and he struggles to hold back a tidal wave of sick. "others. For what ends I know not, but I think we are merely flies in a spider's web."

He considers Novia's idea. "I'm afraid I am about to pass out on my feet... I can barely stand. If the next room is safer, or easier to defend... I just need to sit for a few minutes, catch my breath..."

spacer.png

Doørfin grunted and cleared his throat as he mulled over Flickwit's reply. "Ah agree we seem t' be toyed with. Makes me blood boil, it does!" He growled but caught himself from making too much noise. "If'n ya c'n stay upright uh bit longa' then we c'n find a right decent place fer uh rest. But not 'ere. This room be wicked," he said, eyeing the graves in succession to make sure nothing was crawling out.

To further his mental goals, Doørfin walked up to Malice's place and knelt down, running his axe along the dirt. He looked for what might be telltale signs of someone digging out.

"Ah've uh truly poor idea what involves diggin' up this 'ere grave t' see if'n there's a clue..."

image.jpeg.e37cda82f6054a86c95ecdf39ac00720.jpeg

Shaun

Shaun has slowed down considerably since the group first entered the cave, taking longer and longer to respond, or process an idea and get to the doing part of it. He finally gestures at Flickwit with the two-handed sword, held weakly.

"Myself as well. I had little to give to begin with, but that stretch of tunnel took the rest it would seem. I need a moment... or two, to gather my strength."

The wizard glances towards Doørfin.

"I believe we have not yet fully taken in the far end of the cavern. Perhaps there is a nook for us to rest in. Either way, I would leave digging up graves for when we are rested. If it is Malice you dig up now, I fear I'm not of much use in a fight."

Doorfin

The dirt on Ms. Alice's grave is very loose and your axe parts it like beach sand. You aren't sure if that's a sign of someone digging their way out or not.

But you press a little deeper, and that's when you hit something.

The soil on top of the grave is only about a foot deep. Under it is some kind of... something. A floor. You think it is made of wood.

"A floor?" Novia states in confusion. She looks around to see if there is a shovel in the graveyard.

spacer.png

Doørfin posted up guard near Novia to allow the others a rest.