The Web of All Torment - IC

cailano

image.jpeg.e37cda82f6054a86c95ecdf39ac00720.jpeg

Shaun

Shaun sheaths his short sword and plugs at his ears as his hearing starts to return. He glances down the hall at Doørfin's prompting, but sees no one.

"I'm sure you saw something. Let's keep our wits about us and heads on a swivel. I will take the sword. There's something special about it..."

Shaun holds the blade up with two hands and looks at it intently.

"We are going to be good friends, aren't we, Truthsinger?" he mutters.

noviahead.png.0aad9db0440817af095a8026bd942d99.png

Novia shakes her head no at Doorfin " I didn't see anything" " she adds. "Let's check this last room while we are here".

HP 12/12 AC15 Luck 12 Ref+1 Fort+1 Will+2 longsword+2 d8 Sling+2 d4 Spell Check +4 Disapproval: 1

spacer.png

HP 24/24 | AC 16 | R+1 F+2 W+1 | Luck 13/13 (+1) | Init. +0 | Speed 15' | Combat

Doørfin did just that, moving to the final door and giving it a tactical kick like the others.

The Staff Quarters

Doorfin kicks in the unlocked (and unlockable) door of the Staff Quarters. This is where most of you -- Novia and Doorfin excluded -- have been sleeping for the time you've been "employed" at the Kozy Kobweb.

The room reeks of human effluvia. You must have been sleeping on the floor and only imagining the hammocks you remember sleeping in. The ceiling is dotted with water stains and blobs of mold. You remember there being a window on the north wall with a view of the stable, but you must have dreamed that, as well. In the space where you remember the window being are words scrawled in dried blood: "CONTINUE DYING."

You also remember having changes of clothes, books, and personal items like combs and towels, but they were all part of the illusion. The room is empty.

Doorfin

You hear the faint sounds of conversation and the clinking of ale mugs coming from the hall behind you. You can't make out the words of the conversation, but it sounds like dwarven.

spacer.png

HP 24/24 | AC 16 | R+1 F+2 W+1 | Luck 13/13 (+1) | Init. +0 | Speed 15' | Combat

Seeing the decrepit room was emtpy, Doørfin turned around and went back out to the hallway.

"Ya don' hear that? Ah'm bein' beguiled! Quick, touch me with th' coin!" he cursed, gnashing his teeth. Heavy breathing ensued. "It's jus' anotha' trick like everythin' else. Ah fear Ah may soon be beset by a dark will. Ah'm sorry fer anythin' Ah may do in the near future."

Doørfin quietly sang a forging song to himself--one meant to keep time.

Flickwit shrugged, clearly disappointed that the coin didn’t do anything fantastical with the sword. He looked at Doorfin. “Mister Dwarf, whatever you saw was most definitely an illusion. I don’t think any of us saw what you saw.” He handed the dwarf the coin anyways.

Then he saw what was in the room. “Ye gods. How did we survive in all… this? Do you think that… those words mean anything? Or is it just some cruel taunt?”

noviahead.png.0aad9db0440817af095a8026bd942d99.png

"Maybe a taunt. Maybe someone wrote them out of frustration and desperation." Novia closes the door to the room.

Nothing would good would come from staring at this room. " Let's get downstairs quickly, and away from these accursed rooms. We don't want the illusions to come back to Doorfin" Novia suggests. "

HP 12/12 AC15 Luck 12 Ref+1 Fort+1 Will+2 longsword+2 d8 Sling+2 d4 Spell Check +4 Disapproval: 1

spacer.png

"Ah think that may be where th' illusions are stronger..."

Shaun

Shaun spares the final room but a quick glance. It proves worth both seconds of it. His attention then returns to the hallway. When Doørfin reports sounds from up ahead he shakes his head.

"I hear nothing, but I do hope it is you who is hallucinating, Doørfin, and not us who have fallen victim to another cursed illusion."

Shaun adjusts his hold on the blade and nods to Novia.

"Agreed, let's make our way to the cellar."

Doorfin's Friends

As a group, you make your way to the stairs, ready to head back to the cellar and whatever horrors await.

Doorfin, as you mount the top of the stairs, you see a cluster of dwarves standing in the corner of the balcony. You recognize all of them. The dwarf woman you caught a glimpse of earlier is Grundela, whom you'd considered asking to marry you before you set off on a life of adventure. You've often wondered about where she was and how she is doing. She's there along with your father, Olganmir, who died some years ago. Also present is Branskeld, your best friend from under the mountain.

They also see you, but the hostile looks they give you tell you that you are not welcome among them. Grundela seems repulsed by you. Your father's look of disappointment is soul-crushing. Branskeld - a dwarf whose life you once saved - seems like he'd as soon smash your skull with his warhammer as speak with you.

You have no idea what you've done to deserve such animosity.

**—OOC: Doorfin desperately tells himself these apparitions are not truly his loved ones, but their power is supernatural. He needs to make a Will save at DC 14.

spacer.png

HP 24/24 | AC 16 | R+1 F+2 W+1 | Luck 11/13 (+1) | Init. +0 | Speed 15' | Combat

"Grundela..." Doørfin spoke unconsciously as his eyes laid upon her. Her repulsion was the first shocking blow. Olganmir's disapproval was an absolute gut-punch and Doørfin struggled to walk. "Brother, no... no!" he shouted.

OOC

As stated in the OOC, I burn 2 Luck to make that a success.

Name
Will save dc14... yeesh, here goes
1d20+1 11

Shaun

Seeing the dwarf leading them slow down and falter, Shaun steps forward to stand between him and whomever he is talking about. Although the people Doørfin is referring to sound more like family than undead monstrosities, Shaun holds the Truthsinger firmly at the ready in front of him and pointed in the direction Doørfin is looking.

"Doørfin, I see nothing. Who do you see? Where do they stand?"

Shaun takes a few more steps forward, closer to where he thinks the apparitions might be.

"Here? Show me."

OOC:
Yes I'm being sneaky and bringing the sword's command phrase into play in a roundabout way.

Doorfin

Your "loved ones" nearly pull you into their fiction, but Shaun's attempt to interpose himself is exceptionally well-timed. You blink as the haggard, gore-encrusted wizard blocks your view, and in that time, you steel yourself against the influence of these... visions. Spirits. Whatever they are called in this wretched place.

They aren't your loved ones. Whatever they are, you are sure they aren't that.

And, as you become sure, the visions fade and disappear.

** OOC - Doorfind spends luck and succeeds in his Will save.