The Road to Phandalin

The Eyeball Kid

NeverwinterMarket.jpg.bf0c3c22a2acf940b205cdd7bd6cfec2.jpgFolks go about the next day saying their goodbyes and gathering supplies, preparing to be away on the frontier for a time.

The following morning the group gathers at the Seven Suns Coster Market. The very popular central marketplace is located in the heart of Neverwinter’s Protector’s Enclave. The open-air market is bustling with morning activity, where colorful merchants and hopeful traders set up daily stalls to sell their wares. Great stone archways lead into the maintained courtyard. Banners of colored or patterned fabric stretch across the tops of stalls providing a shaded canopy for the bustling market below. Crowds of citizens and travellers quickly build up, browsing the dense, stocked stalls that line its walls and the inner sanctuary.

Traders with colorful remarks entice passing onlookers to view, try or taste their goods, hoping to make some quick early coin, while savvy shoppers haggle for the best quality and price. The robust smell of tea and spices are easily smelt as the fragrance slowly moves through the corridor of stalls.

Exquisite silks and patterned cotton fabrics catch and attract the eye as they burst with color. Crafted tinkers and skilled leather workers tap away mending buckles, belts and bags alike, while the locally made Neveren multi-hued lamps and water clocks are a common sight.

Barrels of fine red wine, mead and hearty stouts and ales are stocked high on each other, as merchants lure passersby closer with an offer of taste. Pallets of fenberry, jams and potted honey from the gardens of Neverwinter are lined along trestled tables offering the sweeter things in life. Fresh cuts of mutton are a popular buy at this early time, while hanging from a butcher’s stall are also strips of cheap dried and spiced game. Nearby, cages of chickens can be heard chirping and clucking away while fresh and boiled eggs are also on offer. The smell of baked bread prepared with herbs and salt in hot pans emanates above all as heads quickly turn to catch the location of the smell.

On arrival at Ribin Tallbrook's stall, a steadfast half-orc stands patiently minding the loaded wagon, with two oxen standing quietly ready to work. Ribin, a cheerful, auburn haired halfling, produces a parchment from his little green waist pocket.

“Okay good folks, please listen up. Here we have a wagon with two oxen, twelve sacks of flour, four casks of salted pork, two kegs of strong ale, twelve shovels, twelve crowbars and twelve picks. Also, five lanterns and a small barrel of oil – about fifty flasks in volume. You are welcome to inspect the merchandise. Which of you would be 'Miss Elberen'?" When Elberen identifies herself, Ribin hands here the parchment which she sees bears Ribin's signature as well as Gundren's the the mark of Rockseeker Enterprises. The equipment checks out and the half-orc laborer helps load the party's additional equipment into the wagon.

“Before you leave there is something I need to tell you. It’s been reported there is growing goblin tension along the High Road. It seems more towards Phandalin, and alike. My advice is to seek refuge at night if you can, and keep your wits about you. It’s probably best to find quarters in that ramshackle place of Helm’s Hold, at least for the first night, even though it’s a wee bit out of the way. If you leave now you should get there around late afternoon. Here is a map, if you don’t already have one, to help you on your way.”

“Also, I would hate to push the friendship, but if you happen to see the widow Quelline Alderleaf at Alderleaf Farm in Phandalin, would you be ever so kind as to send her my warmest regards?”

"Can I answer any questions for you before you depart?"

oocAll of the indicated equipment is fine.

You can narrate any parting scenes you wish in your next post.

Work out how you're going to proceed. From the Roll20 map I gather Kit is driving and how folks are generally arranged but what will you all be doing as you proceed down the road? Will anyone scout ahead (or above)? Engaging in other activities?

spacer.png

Galinndan Kiirnodel

AC: 14 (Hide)| HP: 10/10 (1/1d12) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 12, Investigation 10

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 6 (-2) | Int: 11 (+0) | Wis: 15 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconian

Abilities: Rage 2/2, Lightning Whip

After getting the job and heading home for the night, Gil spent the next day informing the family that was in town of his 'adventure'. Kora was thrilled, she made it very obvious that she expected this adventure to snap Gil back into 'old form'. On the other hand, Eoc'Mas and Valanthe held more worry than excitement in their eyes. "We worry, Dad. Worry that you leave and... dont come back." His eldest said. Gil looked him in the eyes and placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it lightly. "Remember, for a long long time I was a very out of city kind of guy. It was easier then... but what I have done these last few decades is not healthy. I might not want to, deep down, but Kora is right to help... push me along." He placed a hand on his daughters shoulder as well, Valanthe moving in to make it a hug. Eoc'Mas joined in and soon enough he was the center of a Kiirnodel & Falone family group hug. He chuckled as tears ran down his face. "I promise... no I swear upon the seven hells and the abyss itself, I will come back to you all."

He spent the next day wandering the open market, letting himself get swept along and convinced into buying things he probably didn't need. After all, he didnt feel he 'needed' much outside his six daggers. Still, he hadn't felt the pre-travel thrill of a market spree since before that last faithfull scouting mission. He did his best to push the dark memories away as he listened to a young smith's apprentice convince him that the Maul he was selling was the best one in the market, all of Neverwinter in fact. He knelt down on one knee so his eyes fell just below the lads. "Does it have a name?" He gently took the weapon from the boys hands. Its work was relatively solid, though lacking some of the finer points of grace. "A name? For a weapon? Wha'ever does i' need tha' for?" "All great weapons have names lad, if you are going to be something, like a smith, you should aim to be the best. As such, you should name every single thing you make. So, what is its name?" The biy pondered, his hand holding his chin as he tapped a food. With a snap and a great big smile he looked Gil right in the face. "Snaz'macher!" "I love it! I will take Snaz'macher and make him my own! I promise to carry him to places far and make his name know. You remember this and when people talk of the mighty Snaz'macher you can tell them that you made it."

Gil joined the others and helped the half-orc load in his items. He introduced the goat he bought as Phil. He was a touch embarrassed that let a little old lady talk him into 'extra long lasting rations' but the animal was not an extra burden by any means. He offered to alternate waggon driving with kit. Vehicle training was mandatory for the guard and having a rotation for responsibility was the best way to keep everyone sharp.

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

best-wizard-spells-in-dnd-5e-1.jpgElberen Harrowdale

AC: 12 (15) | Hit Points: 7/7 | Passive Perception: 10 | Init: +2

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | Spells Slots: 1st: 2/2 | Skills | Saves | Features | Spells Prepared

Elberen spent most of her downtime talking excitedly to her parents about the opportunity. They initially chastised her, saying it sounded like an adventure more than a job. "And adventurers just get killed," her father was fond of saying. The witch assured them that it was with a big group and the chance to explore Phandalin was always intriguing. There was so much she had read about in a book and not experienced in real life. Her mentor knew that more than anyone, although her parents, who spent most of their lives cooped up in the library, didn't see it that way. Regardless, Elberen had been troubled by her friend's death, which was an excellent chance to help her move on.

Not knowing what she needed, she would track down a map of the area between Neverwinter and Phandalin, in addition to some much-needed provisions. She starts keeping a list of items the group should always keep on hand but cannot yet afford. By the time she is done walking through the market, it is rather long but still not yet completed.

She arrives earlier at the Seven Suns Coaster Market and enjoys the sights and sounds of the market. Despite being in Neverwinter her whole life, she found little reason to spend much time there. It could be dangerous and taverns are filled with tales of the unfortunate who ran afoul of a fell guild hidden among its stalls. Still, Elberen was eager to get underway. She waits until Ribin starts to rattle off the manifest and jots it all down herself before realizing she is going to get a copy of it. When she hears her name, she looks around, confused momentarily, and then excitedly says, "YES! Yes, um...I am Elberen Harrowdale. Thank you; this is just what I was looking for. You are most kind."

Hearing the report of goblins is a bit concerning, but that was also mentioned and the Old Lantern. It was not a surprise. She needed more time to properly read up on the creatures, although such base monsters were often part of standard reading material at the Academy. She Ribin asks them for a favor; she smiles brightly and says, "I think we can arrange to pass along your well wishes to Mrs. Alderleaf. Everything appears in order to me and I have no further questions."

Tabletop

Huh. Elberen might be the first character to be excited to get a robe of useful items! "I have a ladder in here somewhere..." 😀

Ander-profileAnder Thornton

HP: 13/13 AC: 18 Passive Perception 14 Insight 14

Ander stood in front of a modest dwelling late at night. The door was one he had gone through many times, but this time it felt like it may as well have been a 20 foot tall iron wall. He'd had his fill of disappointed looks and disappointed words. A broad shouldered and large man, Ander's shoulders lowered and he looked very small before the plain wooden door. He had a small piece of parchment with his writing on it, explaining to his father, his mother and worst his brother, how he had taken a job and was looking to be a sellsword in Phandalin. It also asked forgiveness and wished them well. He stuck the piece of paper in the space between the door and the frame.

Without a word he left his family's home, as far as he knew, never to return. He never said a word, going into a world of violence and threats seemed... easier. As he got to the end of the street, out of the corner of his eye he saw the door open and his mother pick up the note. Ander did not stop, instead pushing on into the night...

In the Moonstone Mask Ander had a set of cards, a large glass of ale, and a hearty meal. The way he figured it, he was unlikely to find such enjoyment for a while. He spent the night betting. He went around giving away more money, then making a large pile of money before losing it all again. He spent the night, and the gold, to make his last night mostly memorable, as the booze tragically affected him far less than he wanted. After the first full bottle, responsibility took over and he made his way to bed, tragically alone, though he came close with what was a very interested young lady that promptly fell asleep at the bar from alcohol. Ander decided it was a sign to start taking the job seriously... and to bed he went.

Ander stood slightly apart from the rest. He was drinking from a large waterskin recovering from his personal going away party to Neverwinter. He was quieter than before, watching as the deal was being made. He would place his pack on the vehicle. "I can take the reigns first. We can trade off 'tween us."

Name
Card 1 DC 10
1d20+4 2
Card 2 DC 10
1d20+4 14
Card 3 DC 10
1d20+4 4
Con save
1d20+5 13
seduce dc 15
1d20+2 12

spacer.pngAmilee Val'troi (Winged Tiefling, Warlock)

AC: 12 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision 60ft

Amilee's excitement had taken her home quickly after their meeting in the 'Lantern. Her family was, largely, secretly relieved that the 'Damned Daughter' was departing the house for a time; not that she recognized it as such. They were all excited for her, her father even appearing vaguely proud- or possibly relieved, but to Amilee's eyes it seemed the prideful look of a father glad to see his baby girl finally get out into the world. She had spent the hours packing, making a few notes to herself- though all the while her mother had been quiet. Supportive- but quiet. Her expression was sorrowful but yet still held the eternal hope that she had always displayed. It was as Amilee finished packing that her mother slipped into her room- silently shutting the door behind her.....

The next morning was a flurry of activity as Amilee shopped. She had no honest idea what this frontier town could need- and her anxiety fueled impulse purchases quickly outpaced any charitable purchases she could make for the trip. In the end she decided that whether it would get used on the trip, or simply gifted to whatever tavern or inn this village had to earn her good graces within, a mighty barrel of fine ale would do the trick. Of her additional purchases she figured it was best to error on having rather than needing, grabbing a few extra tools, some travel goods and utilities- and even some manacles if they encountered a bandit on the road. The final item, an ornate gold-esq tankard carved with infernal imagery, was a rare sight- and her curiosity simply got the better of her.

The rest of that day was spent at the Moonstone Mask, eating an expensive meal and drinking her fill while she enjoyed the pleasant banter, conversation and stage shows. As usually for her visits when Liset dropped by Amilee would gently decline her offer of employment- saying this time she was departing on a adventure. The proprietor seemed aghast in the most pleasant way possible somehow. The two sat together, discussing the upcoming adventure, with Liset clearly pumping her for information- though Amilee couldn't see it. She was just excited to be talking about the trip, the who, the where and whys with someone who seemed genuinely interested.

At times during the evening, moving about the main room, Amilee would catch a glimpse of Ander- a smile and a wave never too far away, or even a acknowledging touch and wave if she passed close by. When once he caught her arm, she stopped and took a seat for a time to share a drink and chat away an hour. However- at almost every turn she seemed shocked and taken aback that anyone would have an interest in her. She constantly belittled herself, her appearance, her worthiness for a great many things and beyond. When the drunken questions drifted to more 'subtle' or intimate matters Amilee was still utterly shocked, though her eyes did look to Liset the other of the 'Mask who stood about. It was as if she was thinking back to something the half-elf woman had said to her; though after a moment she would shake her head with the faintest of smiles. "We're both drunk, you know. A poor time to get to know someone. But the road! That's a good time. Boring time. So much walking on these hooves." she laments, and as the hour gets later, she seems intent on retreating 'before she embarrasses herself more'- emphatically stating as such directly to him as she retreats.

By the time she retired to an extravagant room upstairs, Liset sending a pair of masked attendants along, Amilee was suitably beginning to have issues with her hooves moving like she wanted them to. Seemed even "fiends" could succumb to a gross excess of alcohol.....

On the morning of their departure Amilee's horns hurt; possibly her head beneath but it was difficult to tell. She hadn't gotten as much sleep as she intended but enough was still enough. The first day of travel would be short and safe, certainly, so she was confident in being able to fake her composure for at least awhile. She was dressed in her ornately attired studded leather armor, but with the same longsword and stylized 'infernal orb' tucked into a ready clipped holster at her hip. With her wings still folded around her back she stood at the side of the proceedings as Elberen took lead in organizing things. With a mental wince Amilee was thankful there was someone else to do the talking for at least the first few hours.

Feinting a gentle smile the infernal woman indicated a large keg-barrel to be loaded along with her loaded and bulging pack. Given her hungover status she wasn't looking forward to carrying much more than necessary for the trip. Especially if she was going to attempt to practice actual flight. Until their departure Amilee would remain overall quiet, though didn't shy away from short bursts of speech. Her horns hurt- but at least she could still get some things done.

OOC: Notes on TravelFor their trip Amilee will typically walk alongside the wagon, banter with everyone, get to know everyone etc. But when conversations get stale or cease entirely- she'll experiment with her wings, learning to fly as it were. Since this is mostly an RP thing, for the first day consider her to never go above 10ft. On day 2-3 she'll go as high as 20ft, and on day 4-5 (if it gets that far) she'll go as high as 30ft into the air when she practices.

Edited by Miss (see edit history)

image.png.39242fc18e69b4ece04881b92b1a9aff.png

Eireann III - High Elf Rogue 1

HP: 10/10 | AC: 16 | Speed: 30ft  | HD: 1d8/1d8 

Perception: +5 | Saving Throws: Str +0 Dex +7 Con +2 Int +3 Wis +1 Cha +1 | Initiative: +5 

Statistics | Equipment | Skills | Abilities

Eireann had spent the evening drinking and whoring and generally having a good time. He had been carried home by some friends and had ordered his fathers servants to fetch the finest barrel of wine from the cellar. He gave orders for it to be brought and loaded on the cart in 2 days time, then he had passed out.

He had awoken with only a few moments of morning remaining, he washed, ate and recovered nice and quickly. He let his parents know his plans and they seemed eager for him to get out and do something more useful than partying. His mother had some concerns, but his father just looked a combination of proud and relieved. He spent the afternoon with them and got an early nights sleep.

He made his way to the market in plenty of time, made sure to get some of seedier friends to spread conflicting rumours on his whereabouts and what he was up to. He didn't want anyone who was nursing a grudge following him down the road after all! He made sure his wine barrel was loaded, and tossed his backpack onto the wagon too. It contained a few fresh shirts, a bedroll and other items that might come in handy on the road or in the wilderness. Once that was done, he said hello to his new friends, and stood grinning like an excited child.

"If Miss Harrowdale says we are ready, then we should make a start! Of we go!"

As they travelled, Eireann spent most of the time walking alongside the wagon. He had a shortbow held casually and a quiver of arrows hung at the small of his back. Though he seemed completely at ease and chatted and even sang from time to time, those perceptive among the group would see he kept his eyes on the treeline as they travelled. He had ambushed enough people in his time to know where a good spot would be and he made sure to check them as they approached. Once or twice he even left the road to check such a spot, making the excuse of needing to empty his bladder. Each time he came back looking relaxed and relieved. Whether due to the empty bladder or the lack of goblins, it was hard to tell.

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)

Ander Thornton

Ander nodded, "I understand," he slurred. "I get it. Bad reputation, I'd make't worse. M'aplologies." he would say heading up to his room, whether he would remember the conversation seemed iffy.

If Amilee and Ander's eyes met, Ander would turn a bright (well brighter) red, whether he remembered the entire conversation as it happened, or remembered it worse. He'd continue to talk to Gil and Kit, a quick smile forming to try and cover some embarrassment. "Like I said, I can drive it....Unless you're too tired and need a squat, sir." he said to Gil @Taigains

High_Road_South_2.webp.fcd8be76dafe8b4721c0174266087553.webpLeaving the tall, guarded stone walls surrounding Neverwinter, the wooden wagon rolls along the journeyed gravel road, leaving behind the sound of a city in growth. Children collect autumn flowers in the greening grasslands a stone’s throw from the safety of the city’s gates.

On the road the sturdy wagon passes minstrels and peddlers heading towards the big cosmopolitan city of Neverwinter, as the sun presents itself through the patchy white clouds. If you take the time to listen you hear the distant roar of thundering waves smashing the thickened stone cliffs beyond the not-so-distant dunes.

Eager seagulls flock the western horizon as they appear and disappear again, sharply searching for their morning catch off the steep, stripped cliffs in the ocean below. Perhaps inspired by their antics, Amilee makes a few tentative attempts at flight, mindful not to stray too far above terra firma. The misty, sea-salted haze given off by the crashing waves is a signature on the western horizon, forever seen as far as one’s sight can see.

The morning air is fresh and awakens the spirits, as swift dragonflies whisk, stop, then dart again through the slim tall grasses as the wagon stirs the ground around. A dense grove of shrubs presents the sweet sound of chirping sparrows rendering melodious music. All this, so enchanting that we envy the peace of the countryside.

All seems pleasant and peaceful as the never-ending blanket of the deep green Neverwinter Wood, flowing down from Mount Hotenow, sits off in the distant east. It continues to awaken as the rising sun brings it to life. In front, as the oxen travel, the distant wilderness of jagged, snow capped peaks form the majestic Sword Mountains in the far south stand tall.

The pleasant day turns from midday to the later afternoon, and the slowly declining sun shines brightly towards the Neverwinter Wood now showing a different shade of evergreen on the enchanting ancient woods. Shadows off the loaded wagon and worked oxen remind you that the travelled coastal road is closing for the day, as the first twinkle of a far off star is viewed above.

You arrive at Helm's Hold, a town behind fortified walls that show the scars of many a battle, dominated by the looming cathedral of Helm for which the town is named. You pass an evening at the Hungry Flame tavern. It is pleasant enough, although the fare is nothing to write home about, especially after Neverwinter. Still there is ale and wine for those who wish it and games like darts and cards and dice to pass the time. The walls do their job and it is, most of all, safe. The next morning you are on the road again.

You spend another day travelling along the High Road with Anders, Kit and Gil trading off the reins as the sluggish oxen pull the dusty wagon across the last of the grassy hillocks that have become quite familiar. Amilee continues her explorations of flight, becoming bolder as the act begins to come more naturally to her. Edging ever-closer, the Sword Mountains, like a towering wall, stand in triumph and splendor. Their heavily snow capped, jagged peaks look down on the surrounding fertile lands far and wide. Immense in stature, Icespire Peak is visible, while Mount Galardrym stands just as commanding, once housing the hill dwarfs Clan Forgebar. Off the road on either side, the rich grasslands stretch quietly, swaying in the soft breeze. A northern goshawk swirls overhead like a kite, scouring the land for its next catch, as a startled brown hare scampers past the wagon. Night will be falling soon and you spot a likely looking campsite by the side of the road.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

5e7920295972494faf904e6d8586ece7.jpeg.fdcc46ab9768a06153a501d54d2e7636.jpegKit relaxes considerably as they leave behind the noise and stink of the big city. He is more baffled than enamored of the exotic fair of its markets, not quite fathoming what people could need with fine silks, expensive wine, or the like. Having no family or business in Neverwinter, he spends the days before their departure idling in the inn learning to play cards and chatting with the others in the crew. He is quite open about his childhood with his adopted unicorn father along with the fey folk and magical creatures of Neverwinter Wood.

His wilderness skills have made the trip rather more pleasant. Their meals on the road have been supplemented by food he forages during breaks such as fresh fish, rabbits, and mushrooms--he's even managed to get his hands on a big chunk of honeycomb.

"Well, I don't like having to spend the night out in the open like this, but I suppose we don't have a choice."

Perception: +5 | Saving Throws: Str +0 Dex +7 Con +2 Int +3 Wis +1 Cha +1 | Initiative: +5 

Eireann had enjoyed the walk, it was invigorating. He felt renewed as he wandered far from the cold stones and tall buildings of Neverwinter. It had been a while since he had wandered and it felt good. Even if he did miss the thrum of the city and the excitement of taking in shows. He would be lying if he said he would miss the exotic nightlife and all the vice and depravity that came with it. But it was something to look forward to when he returned like a new elf! He enjoyed the fledgling flights of Amilee and he gave her encouragement. When they reached the campsite he gave a stretch and replied to Kit.

"I know I don't look it, but I have slept under the stars before! Perhaps not quite as close to a pair of oxen before, but still! I'd wager we won't find a nicer spot before nightfall, so we should make camp here and enjoy it. We will have to start a watch though, no walls to protect us now. I think whoever have difficulty with seeing in the dark should take first and last watch. The sun will be setting or rising, and you will be able to see beyond our little fire. The rest of us can take turns during the night. Myself and Grampa Gil here will not be in a full sleep either, so we will be aware of what is going on, if not keeping an active watch. Gil will probably have to get up a few times in the night anyway.. So who wants to take first watch, and who here is good at building a fire?"

For all his talk about sleeping under the stars, Eireann doesn't do much to help set up camp. He seems more worried about getting his bedroll as far from the oxen but as close to the fire as possible. He does remind people to try to refill their waterskins, but doesn't offer to do it for anyone.

Ander Thornton

"I can take first watch." Ander piped up. The walk had been a mix of helpful and painful. The first few steps hurt, but as he moved more and focused ahead the pain went away. A healer had wondered about the pain aloud to Ander, but it still felt like something had been stuck in his leg from the attack, even though the cleric said there was nothing

Ander had been relatively quiet around Amilee since the encounter, partly from a lack of anything to say and partly embarrassment. With other's he'd been relatively genial, especially once they were in Helm's Hold and started another game of cards. What first started with an almost famously bad had turned into a route by Ander against his opponents. Ander and company probably felt they needed to leave a little early to get away from some angry drunks that were waking up both more sober and poorer than the night prior

He turned and fetched his pack and started unpacking his mess kit. "Dried fruit, dried meat, soup leather. Food of kings." he said with a smirk

Name
Card gambling 10 DC
repeat(1d20+4,2) 2,19
Card Gambling 10 DC third
1d20+4 17

spacer.png

Galinndan Kiirnodel

AC: 14 (Hide)| HP: 10/10 (1/1d12) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 12, Investigation 10

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 6 (-2) | Int: 11 (+0) | Wis: 15 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconian

Abilities: Rage 2/2, Lightning Whip

As they left the city, Gil remembered his old tradition. He drew his orcish dagger and held it up over his head. He grinned as he remembered all the other times he did this... and it quickly faded soon after. With a frown, he put the dagger away and focused on the road.

While others mood seemed to improve the further they got from the city, Gil seemed to grow recluseive, talking less and always looking out to the horizon, scanning for anything untoward. His mood seemed to hit rock bottom when they reached Helm's Hold, his frown now an outright snarl. He kept to himself that night, getting up after his trance and visiting the namesake church in the middle of the night.

The next morning, he opted to walk most of the day, letting Ander and Kit take the leads so as to help Kit learn the fine details of wagon driving, and to let Ander rest his leg for longer periods of time. As they stopped to set up camp he took out Snaz'macher and began to practice with it. He paused as Eireann spoke and his brows furrowed toward the end. "I think Ann is right. Those who can't see as well in the dark should either take first or last watch. If I am allowed to rest over the course of first watch I will happily take middle and last with one other. I do wonder, Ann, why you think I will need to get up a lot at night?" He had worked up a sweat and took off his shirt to wipe his face, showing off his defined muscular physic. Leaving his shirt off, he did his evening workout: three sets of handstand pushups (two of which were one handed), two sets of something he called 'a burpie', and lastly he used two full barrels on his shoulders to do a set of squats.

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Age is only a number.

best-wizard-spells-in-dnd-5e-1.jpgElberen Harrowdale

AC: 12 (15) | Hit Points: 7/7 | Passive Perception: 10 | Init: +2

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | Spells Slots: 1st: 2/2 | Skills | Saves | Features | Spells Prepared

Elberen seems immediately on edge as they leave the safety of Neverwinter's walls. It's clear that she's a little skittish, and every strange noise or rustle in the trees causes her to whip around in concern. Although she spends most of her time walking, the witch does take a few breaks to sit on the wagon and read periodically. It's sometimes a big book of spells, other times a lore book. She likes to take notes as they travel, constantly scribing in a blank tome. Whatever she is writing, it seems rather detailed. Page 27 | Fantasy Cat Images - Free Download on Freepik

The first night, Elberen is grateful to have some semblance of civilization in Helm's Hold. She conjures her familiar and introduces it to the group. She says quietly, "This is Vesper. She's my cat familiar. I usually keep her in a hidden pocket but occasionally use her for scouting. In the city, I sometimes used my cat to spy on conversations. She was good at sneaking into places I could not, and no one suspects a cat."

Gently rubbing its head, the cat purrs affectionately. Before you know it, Vesper vanishes as if it was never there.

As they approach the campsite, Elberen secretly prepares for a break but doesn't complain aloud. As talk turns to taking turns watching their surroundings so they do not die, she becomes more interested. She says, 'I do not possess darkvision, so perhaps I would be best in the last watch? There are many of us, so I hope that scares off any natural predators. Unnatural ones, however..."

Tabletop

spacer.pngAmilee Val'troi (Winged Tiefling, Warlock)

AC: 12 | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision 60ft

To say Amilee's attempts at flight were 'modest' would be a gross understatement- but attempts were made in earnest after a time. Many more times than not during the first day of travel did the tiefling's wings seemingly just collapsed and folded, sending her plummeting the handful of feet back down to the earthen road. Scrapes, bruises and a wounded pride were but some of the consequences of her learning- but no matter what happened Amilee was always moving forward, always pulling herself back up and always willing to give another attempt. By the time the group had arrived in Helm's Hold she was covered in sweat, having pulled off her armor and looked as drained of energy as any could imagine as her breathing came in laboured pulls. Leaning heavily on the wagon for support the tiefling's odd hooves dragged the last mile, already folding back her wings in anticipation of arriving back at 'civilization' once again.

While sore the next morning, Amilee's attempts over the course of the day saw more success and less spectacular crashes giving her more time to casually converse about what she could see at the treetops- which was not much more than a slightly better view of the horizon and the looming mountains. However despite the lack of grandeur and spectacle as she remained quite close to the road still- she was encouraged not only by those who cheered her on, but by her own successes. She was excited to continue, and commented on how free it felt to bank and glide- but that her back and spine felt like they were on fire.

During the trip so far Amilee had shown no reluctance to accept help or converse with anyone, thanking those who helped her up when she crashed or even when she just needed a little encouragement. If she had reservations in talking to anyone, or talking about any subject, she gave no indications of it. In Helm's Hold she had, in what the group likely figured to be her usual way of acting, hidden herself away from the the hustle and bustle. She was clearly used to being an object of scorn and hatred- so it made sense that she try and avoid it. Though the next day she seemed almost oblivious- excusing her absence from the relaxation and revelry by remarking how drenched in sweat she was and how she slept 'the moment my horns hit the pillow'.

When the group pulled off to make camp, Amilee unloaded a large and heavy pack and promptly began the lengthy process of setting up what could only be called her "accommodations". A luxury tent, vibrant fiery red with black trim and clearly created for a noble of stature, was unpacked and constructed with what can only be called 'cautious optimism'. By the time it was done, easily over an hour later, it resembled the size of a small manor room with more than enough head space to stand and stretch inside. The next hour she spent unfolding a half-dozen wooden poles and connected cables to create a large freestanding hammock inside the tent adorned with several fine pillows and blankets, as well as a 5ft square rain catcher that folded opened like a three-dimensional fan with what must have been expensive tinkerer construction techniques. When it was all done, standing beneath the extended canopy of her 'tent', Amilee stretched and readily joined the evening's conversations.

"I can start us a fire, not a problem! Even brought a pot if anyone's got soup-stew-materials." she chimes in happily, her tone and gestures- as well as her large 'accommodations' and their surrounds, certainly making it seem as if she looked at their travels more akin to a camping trip. With a quick gathering of raw wood, dead branches and the like Amilee would quickly build the base for a campfire- and with no small amount of ceremony she stood beside the cold, kindling-lacking campfire she had built so eagerly and lifted her right hand and gave an ornate and flourished snap of her fingers- a brief burst of flame following her motion. Instantly the campfire at her feet surged with flame, erupting upwards briefly before settling down once more- the wood lit in an instant without the touch of flame.

Dusting her hands and smiling widely, Amilee gives a nod towards the talk of a watch. "It kind of sounds like everything is covered I think- but if anyone wants company I'll certainly help. I'm usually up and down all night anyway, it's not easy with- everything...." she says, with her voice dropping off slowly as if she had begun to realize she was perhaps oversharing just slightly. Unconsciously she flexes the muscles in her wings and tail while she rolls her neck slightly. Logically- it would be a nightmare for someone with giant wings, a large tail, hooves and horns to find comfortable sleep after all.

Eireann frowned at Gil.

"I know you are getting on in years my good man. Can't remember my name, Eireann. EIREANN! I met you a few days ago, at the Old Lantern Inn? I didn't want to elaborate on the toilet habits of the older elf. I know my father has to make at least two trips a night."

Eireann didn't think the old elf was senile, but he didn't mind teasing him for it. He looked on with amusement as the teifling noble set up camp. This is why nobility got a bad name, that and the massive corruption, abuse of power and needless power struggles. But also things like this! The tent did look comfortable, but having to break it down every morning could really eat into travel time. And could make it difficult to see enemies lurking in that direction too.

"I suggest you start pulling down that camp a good hour before we hope to leave. Perhaps Miss Harrowdale can enchant it to build itself in time? That would speed things up."