Session 8: The Vale has Eyes

GM Saint

Murdain ShattershieldMurdainWitcher5.png.6cd2afbc95fe290c39b8a905db668054.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 46/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 0/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 0/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 6/10 |💼 Inventory

The dwarf saw to it that Ethyl was settled and taken care of, and then collapsed onto the chair, nodding in thanks while massaging hiss temples. "Yeah. I thought there was five of them, not fifty. Or that they moved faster than a horse on all fours." He let his arms fall to his sides, then brought them to his face, leaning on them and taking a deep breath. "I also had no idea they could survive getting their head chopped off sometimes, or being skewered and chopped to death." Murdain sat that way for about a half-minute, then looked up at the man with a dark look: "Mayor Creed. You've got another neighbor now, though I dont know how much longer she'll stay there. We aint gonna go spreading word, but... Griselda Mory - the matriarch of that family? - she's alive an' well. She aint a friendly grandma sort, but I dont think she's interested in the town." He glanced at the others. "...There was a crazy in there who's been turnin' Morys into unkillable monsters and massin' their numbers. Dead now. Bastard's been toying with people's lives before Vale was even the Vale. There's somethin' else too. Baroness' dead husband - he's one of tha clients of that dead bastard. Sold 'im slaves to turn into nightmares. Doubt she was involved, but... No provin' it now. Ledger's been soaked. There's at least another Mory who's not... Like the rest, but I dunno where he's at, or if he survived. Name's Lansel. He paid the Skorn to kill ol' Griselda. Then the Skorn, as I understand it, paid Ved Sr. Ved saw who he was paid to kill and went 'I choose life'. Wisely." He pulled out the ledger from his bag - he protected it as best he could, but a swim wasnt going to do wonders for it.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (1/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (0/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (1/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant)

The half orc cleric is grateful for the aid in carrying Ethyl. Trying to swim with her had been very challenging and sapped his energy. He is happy to see Ethyl regain consciousness he was still worried about lasting damage, but for now she seemed okay. He just smiles as the sisters embrace. "Aye, thank ye." He tells the mayor and takes a small scoop of the fish stew, it wasn't very good by most measures, but as tired and hungry as he felt, it was warm and comforting. He listens with half an ear as Murdain explains things. The dwarf had learned a whole lot more about what was going on then he had. With effort he gets back up and heads to their house. Before turning in he turns to Aaliyah. "Argh, I suppose that ye still be wanting to free yourself from that staff. Once I am rested after me sunrise devotions I can ask Sola for her aid in breaking its power over you." Barkvin offers before retiring for the night.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: Will prepare Remove Curse for tomorrow morning to cast to free Aaliyah from the cursed staff.

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 15| HP: 9/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [x][x] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [x][x][o][o] (lvl2) [x][o][o] (lvl3) [x][x]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"I think if you free me, the demon comes back out... so someone else has to take it or we gotta be ready to fight it."

Aaliyag had magically dried everyone as they walked back and she bamfed the man out a few times to reset the air. The last time she pulls him out in the mayor's house. "We found this man... he's in rough shape and he's a werewo... wherewithal... he's got the wherewithal to talk still."

She cut her eyes at Niko, hoping the dark elf hadn't caught the slip.

Edited by TheGospel (see edit history)

The mayor reaches for the sword bot currently at his side when Aaliyah pulls the strange man out. "Girl, you need to not do that ever again. Warn a man next time."

"Griselda Mory is alive? Used to hear stories about her as a boy. They taught us in the temp- they'd tell all the kids who came to temple for meals about a druid who turned against the world. It was a story about how just because think Terra is a good goddess, not all her followers were. She was nature and nature could be cruel sometimes."

He also cuts his eyes at Niko, then raises an eye at Murdain. There was a drow in his house and he was a worldly enough man to not judge her yet but also worldly enough his eyes kept flickering to the sword on his mantle.

"Where ya from lad? Ya don't look familiar."

The man falls to the ground and sits and snatches at one of the hot mugs. "Small village out west, no name really. Not even a hundred people... got a wife there, two daughters..."

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_11/ffe456db-145a-4206-a621-b97d83a44164(2).jpg.5c56c24bd51547bf470bfc45f6b0d253.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 6 | AC: 12 | HP 60/60 (54/54) | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 (22 scent/sound)

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: 

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ | Luck ▣
Along the forest road, the rain quickly dissipated. She'd expected it to be a localized thing and sure enough it was. What she didn't know, was what happened to everyone. It was likely that Ved had some sort of means of teleporting, and she could only hope that he hadn't led them into some sort of trap. She picked up her pace... They'd go back to town for sure, bringing Ethyl to her sister would be their first priority. So Souris picked up the pace, running in spurts then walking, trying to make sure she didn't get out of breath in case she really did need to run from something.

It was eerie in the forest since those shadow monsters had devoured everything, nothing stirred or attempted to chase her and the town was now looming large before her. The lights were not on at the inn, so she headed home and went to sleep. Burying herself in furs.

Dice Ex Machina

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 48/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][x] Eyeless [x] Aroooo:[x] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

Niko was staring at Aaliyah. She'd heard the man confess as such earlier but she was too tired to worry about a wolf some weeks off from changing again. If Barkvin didn't cure him, she would deal with it later.

The mayor's response was lost on her. Lots of people initially regard her as dangerous. That was a useful reputation to have. "Well, she's very much not just a children's tale. Girls, why were you near such a terrible place at night? We all very nearly died and your sister nearly suffered a fate far worse than death."

"Baron Tessian. He was the lord of these lands before the Vale formed. A wizard who kept really good notes. We found his keep and were hoping to find information there about what really happened...

Its under water. Its in the middle of a swamp and a bunch of lizardmen live there. We were coming back here... I think I can make some potions to let us breathe underwater. Now... well, once Ethyl is all better maybe." Aria is holding her younger sister gently and forcing sips of tea into her mouth.

"What happened to her?"

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 46/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 0/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 0/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 6/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain nodded to what Creed said, processing the new information and putting down Aria's bag near her. Maybe her equipment survived the dip. Hopefully. "The... creature who held Griselda captive experimented on people. Trying to cure them of ills and so on... he's been at this for at least a hundred years. Ethyl, he was going to make into a mindflayer hybrid. Wont be happening... But she lost a lot of blood and may need time to recover."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

The mayor seems entirely over it all. "Maybe I just let her win. The Vale isn't a quiet place anymore. I came here to die in quiet. Now there's wild magic demons and evil druids and mage hunting slave warriors and mind flayers."

Mayor Creed is a human man in his sixties. His hair is short and he wears a full, well groomed beard. Once an auburn hue, much of his hair has turned silver in the last few years. There is a scar down one cheek that crosses over his missing eye, barely visible beneath the patch over it.

Ethyl is barely older than Aaliyah looks. When she's not nearly dead, she's a pretty human girl with unnaturally red hair, cut very short. Her sister, Aria, is a couple years older. She wears a set of thick spectacles and her brown hair is pulled back into a braid. Her bright blue eyes, no longer filled with terror, hide an extremely curious and keen mind.

Though now she's yawning and barely keeping her eyes open as she holds her sister.

"Sir, ill have a couple of the boys help you home tomorrow. For now... I think everyone could use a rest." The mayor says. "He can stay here tonight."

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 6 

AC: 16+1HP: 69/72 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 0/4d8  0/1d6 | Action surge 0/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 0/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Ved looks from Murdain to Creed. "I don't really care much about any of this. I'm also minded to let the place go to hell if that's what it wants. But I need you folks to tell me cos I ain't got the smarts to figure it out. What is the old man's game here? What's he done, and why?"

OOC

Niko stands and sighs. "Whatever is soon to be upon us, it isn't tonight and I've seen death entirely too closely for a day. I am going to the inn, to find a warm bed and close this chapter of the story."

She then leaves. Its late but she intends to overpay the innkeeper considerably, offering her a platinum for the night.

image.jpeg.18b356b01b7971d6c0b65aeae394683a.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 15| HP: 9/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [x][x] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 0/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [x][x][o][o] (lvl2) [x][o][o] (lvl3) [x][x]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"Momma wait," Aaliyah runs out after Niko. "Hey umm... can I come with you? We didn't get to talk before everything got really weird just now."

OOC: Should we move to a side story so we don't prevent the scene from moving on? I'll make it!

"Thats up to you." Murdain shrugged at Creed's statement. "I came to the Vale to die, same as you. But... If there's a way to die for something better, then, maybe it'll be worth something. I'm not letting anyone 'win'." He turned to look at Ved, falling silent for a moment, then answering: "Way I see it, Lansel Mory, who was in cahoots with that butcher, hired the Skorn to off old Griselda. Paid big money, ten thousand. Skorn roll in, take a look at this mess, go 'nah, no way'... Then we see that little scene in the woods, where they hire the old man to go off Griselda for them. Old man goes in, finds Griselda, an' has to give up that little pouch around his neck to get away. Remember how she said he was so nice, even gave her those eyes? Probably bought his way out with that." He shook his head. "I think thats all that happened. Might be he also killed Lansel when things didnt work out between them."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 6 | AC: 19 | HP: 57/57 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer | 

Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (1/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (0/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6), Blindness Deafness (CON)

Level 3 | (1/3)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify, Spirit Guardians C (WIS 3d8 radiant)

Barkvin talks to Aaliyah before she leaves. "Aye, me hearty. Let me know when yer ready and I will give it a try."

Then the cleric turn to the old man that they rescued. "What be yer name? Get you some rest and decide what you want to do. Do you want to return to your family? I know it is a lot to think about for now. Get some food and rest and we can talk more later." Barkvin tells him, talking quietly and calmly.

Barkvin will go to the house and stay there for the night.

Mechanics

MOVE: Go to the house

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: Will prepare Remove Curse for tomorrow morning to cast to free Aaliyah from the cursed staff.