Session 8: The Vale has Eyes

GM Saint

@Diofant @TheGospel @Alliebaby @Rumrunner @Knave @Rejakor @WolfBirch

It takes almost a week to travel back to Empyrean's Rest. Upon arrival you notice new construction has begun on the walls. Previously, the walls of the town were just a roughly man high fence designed more to keep wild animals out than defend against an attack. Now the town has scaffolding going up along three of the corners of the walls where bigger watch towers will be built, capable of being the anchors to much sturdier walls.

The large manor house is progressing rapidly but it's only been about two weeks since you left. In that time, more workers have come into town and the camp outside the walls has grown more and more. You'd guess there's close to fifty laborers camping out now, enough to finish Xanathel's manor in just another couple of weeks and, perhaps, assist with the new walls.

Your return is met with celebrations. News that the Shadow is fully destroyed and people crammed into town can return to their farms sends the entire town to celebrations. You notice, upon first returning, that Mayor Creed had been slowly losing favor with the town since you'd left. With Sylvania tormenting the area and the Skorn having killed the sheriff and the goliath attack, even though it was repelled, the town has been hit with a lot lately and people started to doubt he was capable of getting them through it. Meanwhile, Lady Xanathel has a dozens soldiers with her and she's investing gold into the town and Ser Gavan is preaching the Light's beauty and inspiring people and helping to train more men how to fight.

When you return with news that the Shadow is gone, your connection to Mayor Creed alleviates many fears. After an initial night of celebrating, more good news trickles in as a river boat laden with grain and cured meats arrives, a gift from a certain merchant in North Town in gratitude for saving his son. As soon as word gets out that you guys are the heroes responsible for this sudden influx of food stuffs, you practically ascend to local legends overnight.

The mayor awards you the sheriff's old house. This is a two-story building made of mostly wood. It has a single brick oven that serves as both an oven and a heater for the inside during the colder months. There is a single room that acts as both a 'living room' as well as the kitchen with no wall separating it. Then it has two bedrooms on the ground floor. Finally, it has both a very small basement and an attic that takes up the same footprint as the rest of the house. The house belongs to the group collectively, with 'who's in charge of the house' being a problem the mayor left on you to solve.

OOC: When you first post in this thread, I'd like you to include a summary of what you've been up to for your week off. It's been two weeks since Sylvania's death but a week was spent on the road back to Empyrean's Rest.

-I suck at maps but if you want, I can try a mock-up of the house.

One week later...

A quiet week. By now the manor is almost complete with Lady Xanathel moving into it officially already with many of her servants and guards. Most of the work left seems to be just expanding the core manor, adding rooms for the staff, storage areas, etc. The lady's own quarters are functional as well as the kitchens.

By now Autumn has fully embraced the Vale and the nights have become more and more chill. In another couple months, the first snows will begin. Tonight, only an hour or so after sunset, you all find yourself gathered in the inn. The Fateless Father has gotten busier and busier with all the laborers around with nowhere better to spend coin. Tonight, however, Agatha had closed the tavern to the public. She actually does this once a month or so, a day she can use to rest since she runs the entire inn herself. If not for these odd nights off, she'd never manage to stay caught up with the general chores and still keep her own self healthy.

Despite being closed, she allows the common room to stay open just for you guys. The house is nice but it's a bit cramped for seven people to try and stay in and eat and she doesn't mind you using her much larger space as long as you clean after yourselves. Usually it's not all of you together using the common room. With no shared enemy currently to plan against, there's less urgency to stay in constant communication. It's actually just a coincidence everyone is together now, eating and drinking between what projects they're on.

Then the front door flies open. The inn is closed but she hadn't locked the door to the common room on account of you guys. Just as you turn to yell at whoever was coming in, you hear a muffled cry of pain. A young girl in her early twenties had thrown the door open but before she could cross the threshold, she cried out and fell on her face before something dragged her out into the night. It looked like Aria...

If you run outside, you'll see a ghoulish man dragging her towards him. He's got a chain in his hand, the other end attached to a a bear trap he'd just thrown at her, catching her leg so he can drag her away. He looks like he used to be human but his face is partially deformed, half his face drooping as if he'd been stricken with palsy, some of his teeth too long and crooked. One of his legs is badly malformed, a break that never quite healed right. He's covered in blood, dressed in overalls and rotten linens. "Huuuuuuu" he yips in excitement as he drags her closer.

OOC: No map, theater of the mind for this.

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [o] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

This is not a post yet, just making sure my header transfers over fine.

Murdain ShattershieldMurdain3.png.a5d60e98af2a810e67d63571adaee46c.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 60/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 10/10 |💼 Inventory

The dwarf, after arriving back in town with Souris, splits his time between carving prayers and gambling. The amount earned for killing the Chaos Beast is not small by any means - but with the project he has in mind, it is not nearly enough. So, trusting his old skills, he looked for places where people were dicing, playing cards - anywhere with games of chance and skill. He'd been tempted to make a big bet, but in the smaller town, that wasnt an option, as even in the several thousand residents, nobody was rich enough to take those kind of bets, except maybe the baroness or Ved Sr, whom he surprisingly found still alive. Either way... He'd managed to with double his investment in gold, making up for the gold spent back in Exile's Pass for the Displacer Armor, the diamond, the focus, and the scroll of Featherfall(just in case). He was pleasantly surprised at how the town treated them, and considered, briefly, running against Creed for Mayor. Having some push in the town would be useful, especially if they were still sticking around here. He did not speak of the events of the trip, nor the meeting he'd had with the 'eldritch evil' he described to Niko prior to meeting it. Xanathiel's widening influence and her attack dog Gavan had worried the dwarf and he resolved to slowly start moving against their influence... Just in case, to hold some extra cards. Old tricks like reputation breaking meant nothing in the Vale, but... There were other ways.

Murdain leapt off his seat, sending the chair tumbling as he rushed out the door after Aria. Most everyone knew the girl, and it wasnt like her name was important here. But why was she alone? They'd been staying with Mayor Creed, weren't they? Did they go on another relic hunt? A few possibilities flashed through his head. Rip into it using claws? It seemed better off than him, strength wise. Invoke fear and make it run? No good, it'd drag Aria with it. Inflict the chain with words of immolation? It'd hurt Aria more than the creature. He could attempt to break the chain using the words of breaking... And hurt the monster to boot. But if the point was to 'make it stop', then... Then...

Laughter. There were no instructions this time - the voice merely laughed. Murdain, of course, did not find the situation funny in the least, but a chuckle escape him, just as his dagger left the sheathe on shoulder. His free hand gathered something off the blade and hurled it - right at the creature. As quickly as it began, his laughter died - though in his head, in endured. "Overalls, crooked teeth, face like a clay sculpt that met a boot... You must be a Moury. How did you survive? Where's Ethyl?!"

OOC/Mechanics

Action: Cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter, DC15 Wisdom Save or become Incapacitated and Prone.
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: Out the door, after the creature, but not into melee
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

image.jpeg.55b367430af89b503ad650441e095744.jpegName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 12 | HP: Bear 42/42 (Human 45/45) | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 (22 for scent and sound) 

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣

Souris bought the armor, black displacer hide seemed to soak up light, she'd had her old hide tunic for so long she forgot when she actually got it. Sometime after becoming a Gardener, sometime before mostly abandoning them. Whether it was her order's compassion or her natural affinity, there was no way she could abandon the kittens, they were not yet mature enough to fend for themselves, and if she could curb their more violent tendencies it would be most great. She spent much of her time with the kittens, attempting to train and entertain them, all the while keeping them fed. She brought them too the house, and they basically roamed the place freely.

At the inn she was still thinking about the cubs, of what they could do in the spring to provide them some level of independence and really just enjoying some peace and relaxation when the door burst open. Then there was nothing, no thought was needed, no recognition, the sight of the beartrap and the screams struck her ears and her body moved, a tingling flowing through her spine and muscles as if they were craving this sort of release from their inertia. Her chair fell behind her, and were tossed over in her wake as she barreled for the door, her transformation beginning as she leapt across the threshold.

"YOU WANT A BEAR!" The words peeled off into a roar as she lunged forward as a massive cave bear.

Dice Ex Machina

Run out the door, transform into a cave bear, maul the thing with the trap.

Name
Attack 1
1d20+2 14
Attack 2
1d20+2 4
damage 1 if a 16 hits
1d8+15 4
if I have advantage on 2 or lucky if note
1d20+2 5
had advantage lets go luck!
1d20+2 5

The man seizes up for a moment, his brain riddled with strange magics. Then he falls to the ground, laughing with a terrifying hysteria as the bear falls over him. Souris is able to injure him but he seems sturdier than even her giant bear claws can easily dispatch.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

AC: 16+2HP: 60/60 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2 | Adamant 1/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

Ved spends the ride alternating through drunk, hungover, thoughtful, and in brief conversation with his sword.

When he arrives back in town, he finds the Mayor.

"Filled the Sheriff's post yet? If no, I'll take it. Three conditions, since you already given us the house. First, the free food comes with free drink. Second, I get first refusal on any bounties you offer, and any as I take, I get exclusivity on it. Third, I can leave any time."

-------

Ved watches the new arrival cautiously, from a distance, crossbow levelled. The important thing is get Aria away of course. He aims for a leg, trying to floor the assailant.

OOC: If 16 hits, 11 dmg plus a DC13 wis save vs frightened

Edited by Knave (see edit history)
Name
Attack
1d20+6 7
Extra attack w disadv
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+7 9,20
Menacing attack dmg
1d8 5
Dmg
1d6+3 3

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin traveled with the group to Empyrian's Rest, but did not stop. He continued heading south to visit his mother and younger siblings. It was a long trip for a short visit. The teenage half orc loves his mother and family and misses them greatly. But she could not provide for him. This money he now had would helped him provide for her. With the shadows about travelers had been scarce so money at home was tight. There was a certain peace that comes from coming home, but there was also a feeling of melancholy. It was not the same and it never would be again. He made promises to come home for the mid-winter feast and soon headed back up to Empyrian's Rest.

He has mixed feelings about Ser Gavan's teaching and tries to temper it with his own preaching about town.

The cleric is shocked to see this creature attack. He runs forward at the beast and holds up his shield with the emblem of Sola painted brightly on it "Aye, ye foul beast, return to the pit from which ye crawled out of." His shield flairs a holy light the washes over the area.

Mechanics *

MOVE: toward the creature

ACTION: Turn Undead DC15 WIS save if the creature is undead

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: Still need to level up

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [o] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Niko stayed behind for a few days, promising to catch up to them shortly as she was waiting for a bit of a special package to arrive. Then Souris and Aaliyah both vanished. Murdain had gone off somewhere also but she suspected he had his own agendas he was focusing on. So she spent several days running them down, using her nose to follow their trail. Aaliyah was with a stranger but she didn't smell any fear or find signs of a struggle.

When Aaliyah's went cold, she roamed for a few days trying to figure out Souris' path. Failing to find her either, she gave up and returned to town to collect her commissioned armor. "They will go to the other town," she decided and set off on the road that way.

She arrives in town to find a small gathering of these new friends. Entering the inn, she's wearing a new suit of armor. Her old scaled armor had been modified heavily to fit her but it had been taken from a fallen enemy long ago. This new armor is made of metal splints and a breastplate and was crafted for her body. The old spider imagery is gone, replaced by wolves. The left shoulder pauldron has an embellished silver flare in the form of a bite mark that mirrors the one on her collar.

There is no prominent symbolism, just wolf heads on the bracers and shins and a bit of silver flair.

She isn't there long before the strange girl shoves the door open and is then dragged away. Rushing outside just a step behind the others, her sword flashes as she strikes out at the strange... man.

Name
Attack 1
1d20+7 3
Attack 2
1d20+7 4
Advantage 1 and 2
24; 22
1d20+7; 1d20+7 [17]; [17,15]
Damage 1 and 2
7; 6
1d12+4; 1d12+4 [3]; [3,2]

@Knave

"You can have every bounty I post but if I'm posting bounties, it's because you're a shit sheriff. It's your job to keep the law, keep the peace. As for drinks, I don't imagine Agatha charges you for most of what you drink but it's up to her. I can't spend her coin. She agreed to feed anyone who took the job... your eyes gotta fall on your old man. He's dealing with the Skorn. I got a message about it, Ser Gavan got the same message because he came to me asking about him. Don't know what deals he's making and I'm not hanging a man on anyone's word without proof... this gonna be a problem for you? Being the hangman for your own father?"

"Your father is dealing with a what? I've heard of the Skorn, an old group of slave warriors." As you spent time talking to Praetorian, you learn a few things about the sword. He's completely inert when not carried on your person. Blind and deaf, he can only experience the world at all through those holding him or very close but it doesnn't have to be the one attuned. He caught brief moments when you carried him around before or when Ethel briefly had him to study or when Aaliyah would move him digging through the bag and such. For the last near two hundred years though, he's basically been asleep.

He also isn't a person. He isn't the soul of some old dwarf. His entire existence has been as a sword, forged for the purpose of guarding over any spawn of the goddesses. Specifically, he was made to protect Solinarius, the empyrean that created the Vale. He wasn't there for the fall though as his wielder refused the call.

-----

The man continued to laugh and you aren't quite sure if Barkvin's magic has an effect in him because Niko quickly runs him through the chest, pinning him to the ground. He goes limp immediately, dying with a final chuckle. There is blood on the blade as she pulls it out and blood in the street and on Souris' claws. It's hard to be sure.

Aria rolls over and clutches at her leg. "Ethel... they got Ethel... I tried to help... She charged them to buy me time to escape. I tried... I tried to help her. I made smoke but I lost her and then I... I ran..."

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin rushes up to her side and starts to wrap the wound with a piece of cloth. (I am assuming that there is not something on or in the leg that needs removed.) "Argh, slow down. Who has taken Ethel? Which way did they go? How long ago?" He asks.

Mechanics *

MOVE: To Aria

ACTION: Medicine to wrap the wound with some cloth. 16

OOC: Still need to level up

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)
Name
Medicine
1d20+4 12

@WolfBirch

Can you also roll religion for me please?

Removing the bear trap is difficult its rusty and doesn't move as smoothly on the joints as it maybe used to. Its also filthy, covered in grime and mold and rust. Her wound is likely to be fatal or at least cost her her leg without serious attention but magical healing tends to stop infection in its tracks.

OOC: I need a DC15 str/athletics check to remove the trap. Barkvin knows how bad the wound can get but he also knows even lesser healing magic will prevent infection at this level. There are non-magical options that are possible if you want to take the time.

Edited by GM Saint (see edit history)
Name
1d20
1d20 3

Level 1 | (3/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)

Barkvin seeing how bad the wound is calls on Sola and the warmth from the sun gives some divine healing. "Aye can someone give me some help getting this thing off her leg?" He asks.

Mechanics *

MOVE: none

ACTION: cure wounds

OOC: Still need to level up. If someone helps take off the trap they can roll please. Also if someone can give guidance that would be great.

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)
Name
cure wounds on Aria
1d8+7 4
Religion
1d20+3 2

"A moment," Niko apologizes, pulling her sword free and cutting the man's head off. Only then does she drop the blade and dig her fingers into the trap to wrench it open and toss it aside, wincing as it snaps back shut.

"Easy child, slow your words."

Edited by Alliebaby (see edit history)
Name
Athleticz
1d20+7 16