Sheet Folders in Testing ×

GM Questions & Answers

Colin

2 hours ago, TheRealSife said:

Sorry if this is already in a guide somewhere, but I didn't see it in the New Users Guide.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about advertising a BALDR game on the Old Mythweavers site is. Do I just make an empty game on that site and link everything to the BALDR game? or is there some other way you are supposed to do it?

That's what I did a few months ago. When I closed recruiting I went back and archived the dummy game.

It's probably going to be a non-issue very soon!

On 4/21/2023 at 2:39 PM, TheRealSife said:

Sorry if this is already in a guide somewhere, but I didn't see it in the New Users Guide.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about advertising a BALDR game on the Old Mythweavers site is. Do I just make an empty game on that site and link everything to the BALDR game? or is there some other way you are supposed to do it?

Yes, that's exactly it. The shell game can get auto-archived or you can keep it around; your choice.

• 3 months later...

So.... I'm running/playing DnD 3.5. I have a player with a Spell-to-Power Erudite, and seems to think that once you can create a splinter self with Schism, the Telepathy power, it should be able to utilize Synchronicity, the Clairsentience power, to gift you, the host, with an extra readied standard action per turn. I'm of the opinion that even though the "Schismed" shard can utilize that power, the only target that gets to enjoy its benefit is itself, not the host.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I want to learn to become a DM because there seems to be a high demand for them and also because it seems like a really fun role to have in a game, building a world etc. Is there any amount of experience I need to have in a game system before I am ready to start up a game? Do I need to play out a couple of games first or can I just start up a game and learn while playing as a DM?

44 minutes ago, Michael Silverbane said:

If you let your game's applicants know that you're new to DMing, and as long as you're willing to take criticism (ideally, it will be constructive, but you never know), it should be no problem to start running games even with very little experience.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I’ll put an ad out for a one-shot stating I’m a starting DM.

2 hours ago, BlackFinch said:

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I’ll put an ad out for a one-shot stating I’m a starting DM.

Another thing to consider is to post here and find a more experienced GM in the system you choose to help you if you need it. Most GMs are more than happy to help others get started on this side of the screen, myself included.

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend being a player first and getting familiar with (a) games in general, (b) the system you're planning on running (the DM is, after all, the ultimate arbiter of the rules and so it helps to have a good grasp of the mechanics, as well as the concept and tone and so on) and (c) play-by-post/this site. There are, however, no minimum requirements; whenever you feel happy, you can just dive right in! You might end up learning some things the hard way, but so be it... and the suggestion to let people know is a good one, as they ought to cut you some slack.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:38 AM, Sunforger said:

So.... I'm running/playing DnD 3.5. I have a player with a Spell-to-Power Erudite, and seems to think that once you can create a splinter self with Schism, the Telepathy power, it should be able to utilize Synchronicity, the Clairsentience power, to gift you, the host, with an extra readied standard action per turn. I'm of the opinion that even though the "Schismed" shard can utilize that power, the only target that gets to enjoy its benefit is itself, not the host.

Thoughts?

Late reply, but... this one is a bit ambiguous, but I think technically he may be correct. The second mind isn't actually a creature or anything; if you use it to manifest any other Personal-range power it would affect you perfectly normally. It seems consistent therefore that the Synchronicity would affect the manifester as a whole.

I think that the weirdness of this being different to a Schism mind just readying an action is more due to Synchronicity itself more than anything (a notoriously wonky power). Obviously, as the DM it'd be within your rights to rule that since this is a purely mental effect it only affects the Schismed mind or something, but I'm not sure that that's backed up by the rules.

How powerful is this, anyway? Quite - it basically lets your Schism mind give you unrestricted extra actions rather than only mental actions with a reduced manifester level. On the other hand, Schism is already powerful and to get this upgrade it has to burn 1 PP per turn as well... that's not much, but it's an extra cost, on top of the action and PP cost of using Schism in the first place. The bigger deal is probably it using the 3 PP version to give you extreme better-than-immediate flexibility (though at mid levels, that PP cost will add up). For this character specifically, mind you, he's giving up two of his Unique Powers per day to do this, which is extremely limiting.