• B/X
    • BECMI (Mentzer Basic)
    • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2E
    • 3E / 3.5E
    • 4E
    • 5E
    • Pathfinder
    • Other

Up until a month ago, I hadn't even thought of "refluffing" on the BECMI side. The a player in my Red Box game asked, "Can I play a man with the stats of a halfling?" Mind. Blown.

I loved BECMI, 2e, and 3.5e all for different reasons, and it really depends on what sort of game I want to play for what drives me to pick up one edition or the other. BECMI, everyone's ready for adventure in 5 minutes, make up what you need as you go. 2e's got the rich lore, the unique magic items, the original oodles of kits, and some of the best pre-made adventures out there. 3.5e is the little engine that could do anything with a d20, an infinite improbability generator par excellence. 4e came out while I had young kids and so I didn't get to play it much, and with 5e now I have teenagers and even less time to learn 😀

On 11/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, cailano said:

So many great responses to this thread. I like the more rules light editions but I do think it is clear from those who started with 3.5 that the crunch did not ruin the magic and wonder of the game. 3.5 came out in what... 2000?

2000 for 3e, 2003 for the 3.5 changeover.

Stumbled into 3rd edition from a love of the old Dragonlance Novels. I was at my FLGS to buy some MTG cards and maybe play a pickup game or two. Turns out dude had just got robbed though. I wanted to help out in the only way I could think of by making a purchase. I saw the Dragonlance Campaign Setting on a shelf and bought it since I'd liked DL since I was just a little kid and wanted to cheer the guy up that he'd at least have his customers to help him keep going.

Had no idea it was even D&D related until I got it home and started reading through it. Next thing you know, I've bought the entire core rulebook set and have become thoroughly enthralled by the interplay between all the different numbers and classes and so on. Now, I've dug in so deep and spent so much time studying that system that I could have a doctorate in it, if that were a thing.

I love the crunch and that love only grew with each new supplement. I did end up with a few beliefs about it that are not exactly in-line with the online community's bestowed wisdom but that's a matter for another thread. There's an elegance in the underlying formulae that often get dismissed or overlooked that really appeals to me. The broad selection of classes, prestige classes, feats, and items to make all kinds of characters is unmatched and I adore it.

Now if I could just get the RNG to stop screwing me every sunday, I'd have no complaints at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, cailano said:

You must list three reasons why the first edition you played is the best edition of D&D.

Because I had no idea what was going on

Because we stood there like idiots and let an orc take three shots at us from cover while we argued over should we retreat or charge

Because the DM rolled all our dice for us and everything was a mystery.

9 hours ago, Roughtrade said:

Because I had no idea what was going on

Because we stood there like idiots and let an orc take three shots at us from cover while we argued over should we retreat or charge

Because the DM rolled all our dice for us and everything was a mystery.

Oh, THAT edition! I think I played that one, too.

LOL.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sorry for casting Raise Dead on this thread.

AD&D2 hands down for three reasons:

- It had all these "All about ..." supplements. Fighters, Rogues, Elves etc it was great. I loved these books.

- The Monster Manual contained detailed infos about the diet of dragons. I loved that so much!

- Speaking of diet, Qualinesti elves being fruitarians was just the best. How can you not love elves eating nothing but fruit?! (Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fruitarian.)