Dice Tower Changes banter

Eric

On 7/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, Eric said:

It’s mentioned in the announcement; this was actually a change to how Invision Community behaves that was masked by the old Dice Tower. I’m sure we will be having a separate discussion on that topic.

So the 'dice towers changes' post reappeared so I could actually see the announcement in question - once - but could such announcements be put somewhere easier to find, such as the Site Announcements forum?  Even looking through your posts it doesn't show up.

@Llyarden It's pinned to the top of the Site Feedback forum, which is appropriate since it's being used for getting input on Tower changes as they occur (on hiatus this week though because Eric vacation). We're using Site Feedback for items like this because it keeps all the dialogue in one spot during the open beta.

@Llyarden Ah, I completely misunderstood/misread things, I’m sorry!

That announcement should be persistent unless it’s closed by the user. But yes, we can definitely create something like a Dev Announcements thread in Announcements to track important info like that. I’ll get it made shortly. 

So i've been using the dice tower a little more and i found something i would love to bring up.

When you use the dice tower, is it possible to be able to make the popup box moveable? I usually have a lot of information in a post, so when i'm putting in dice i have all the information i need, like attack or damage numbers. But sometimes, depending on how the page is positioned when open the dice tower its obscured by the popup box. Being able to move that around would mean i could easily position it so i could also see the information in my post at the same time.

Would it make sense to include a comparative list at least in the Dice Tower article showing the features of the old site (exploding, target success numbers, fate multiples, etc) and which ones are usable on this site?  That might be a good step towards setting reasonable expectations of functionality for this critical feature as new features are added in.

@Anthr4xus The OGMW Dice Roller wiki has the existing features listed out. We’ll be matching those capabilities first before we start adding the new features such as card decks and more image dice.

Right now the Dice Tower’s abilities are extremely limited, and documentation is pending creation and expansion as this current dev phase continues. 🙂

16 minutes ago, Colin said:

@Anthr4xus The OGMW Dice Roller wiki has the existing features listed out. We’ll be matching those capabilities first before we start adding the new features such as card decks and more image dice.

Right now the Dice Tower’s abilities are extremely limited, and documentation is pending creation and expansion as this current dev phase continues. 🙂

I'm aware of the OGMW features.  Their absence is noticeable.  I guess to put it better, I'm presuming that those features will be rolled out singly or in small batches as opposed to all pushing out at once.  Would it be possible to copy over the feature list from the OGMW Dice Roller to the BALDR Dice Tower's page in the form of a checklist to indicate which features have been implemented? So that everyone has an easy point of reference to know what the BALDR DT can do at the moment.

Nope actually! It will not be a singly or small batches rollout, the Dice Tower functionality is the primary dev focus starting next week (Eric is finishing a vacation this week). We’ll be creating the documentation as the features are added (Eric can speak as to anticipated expansion speed), so folks know what is/isn’t possible.

I’ll get a checklist made up to go on the Dev Board Trello once the work starts next week, for tracking progress. 

1 minute ago, hoverfrog said:

Is there any way to have private dice rolls? If a GM is rolling dice for monsters, skills checks, saves, etc, they might not want to show the modifier or even the result to the players. At the moment every roll is public and visible to everyone.

I have asked it somewhere else and they have added it to the list of things to do.  Probably when they do private parts in posts and things like that.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, hoverfrog said:

Is there any way to have private dice rolls? If a GM is rolling dice for monsters, skills checks, saves, etc, they might not want to show the modifier or even the result to the players. At the moment every roll is public and visible to everyone.

No need to be a sneaky DM, roll your dice and be like bam, what's up now.. instead of hmm I will just add a few more plusses secretly.. 🤣