SIDE: Bowing to a Lich's Whims

Sohala

Prax-Suit.png.8bbcbe8c8c53d2aa6719f704cd45bfb8.png

Samuel's portrayal of the earlier encounter between Kaelan and Prax brought a subtle grin to her lips. She knew her armor's combat capabilities were just one aspect of its multifunctional design. A dry chuckle escaped her at the remark, "You get slagged hulking vehicles fixed with components that are bigger than yourself, all under fire without protection, then we'll discuss my choice of tools." Her words carried a faint challenge, followed by a playful clarification, "And it's proprietary."

While she refrained from joining in the medical conversation—after all, it wasn't her blood under discussion—her mind mulled over the topic. Once Kaelan turned away from Samuel, Prax offered her own commentary, "Looks like a 'no' to me." As she prepared to leave, her words bore a cautionary tone, lacking any threat, "If Kaelan's right, best behave. We've seen what happens to the disruptive." Her warning carried a weighty emphasis, almost overemphasized. "Until next time; perhaps we'll continue our conversation then."

Reaching the scene and looking over it once, it quickly became clear there wasn't anything Prax was going to be able to do. Unwelcome thoughts bubbled up, mixing with her more rational mind, turning the morbid event into a mildly disturbing inspiration. Focused on the moment, she once again put her hand on Kaelan's shoulder and shook her head, "Whoever did this, knew what they needed to do to make it permanent. There was nothing you could have done." It was unlikely to be of much comfort for her, but it was the best she could do considering the circumstances. The conflicting frustration she felt was held tightly in.

OOC

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)
Name
Medical
1d20+24 20
Life Sceince
1d20+13 14
Engineering
1d20+36 7

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgSamuel shrugs "I was just shot by them, mostly in vain, and later ordered their opposites into position, whatever your issue with grunts no ground was taken or kept without my boys bleeding over it. As for your friend she still might change her mind, this time I said please. Besides I'd hate to think such a big girl is afraid of the needle size of her nails." He pulls from the pocket dart for the sample showing the small tip of the needle.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgJust a pinch out of prematurely fast Samuel replaces the full cartridge with an empty one and takes the sample of Troll's blood then places back anesthetic into place. He gives Rina a relaxed shiny smile "See, it never hurts to be polite even if called naughty names. Now I'd certainly like to continue this conversation if you survive" Samuel politely bows and vanishes back into the shadow changing back into the mist and floating up as soon as possible.

@wrathgon OOC: I placed my answer in OOC since rolls are so close so if you want to spice up the answer a bit like Rina is still not 100% convinced but trusts him for now I'd be OK with it I mean it's like 7 points difference I doubt at so slim margin he'd be as I said in OOC honest as a newborn baby in her eyes so that's up to two of you. Some suspicion still lingering would be justified. Also, I had no idea those two skills weren't meant to go against one another with characters, I saw them often used especially against sneaky rogues 😁. In one of my games at OGMW we had such a rogue that he sometimes had like two, three pages of private text so we used it on him bunch of times...and caught him lying a bunch of times 😆 But if you'd prefer not to be used against players that's cool with me.

OOC: Sorry for the confusion, given the circumstances, I had assumed my intention would have been obvious. The roll is vs Kaelan.
"Sense Enchantment: You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities."

15 minutes ago, Sohala said:

OOC: Sorry for the confusion, given the circumstances, I had assumed my intention would have been obvious. The roll is vs Kaelan.
"Sense Enchantment: You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities."

OOC: See that's why I use so many OOC's 😁 Sorry, I thought it was aimed at Sam being honest (no of course he's not and he Dominated Rina's friend), it seemed obvious. My apologies.

1 hour ago, Grudge said:

@wrathgon OOC: I placed my answer in OOC since rolls are so close so if you want to spice up the answer a bit like Rina is still not 100% convinced but trusts him for now I'd be OK with it I mean it's like 7 points difference I doubt at so slim margin he'd be as I said in OOC honest as a newborn baby in her eyes so that's up to two of you. Some suspicion still lingering would be justified. Also, I had no idea those two skills weren't meant to go against one another with characters, I saw them often used especially against sneaky rogues 😁. In one of my games at OGMW we had such a rogue that he sometimes had like two, three pages of private text so we used it on him bunch of times...and caught him lying a bunch of times 😆 But if you'd prefer not to be used against players that's cool with me.

OOC: based on RAW any of the social skills are not used vs PCs cause well they are players and they can make their own choices about how they act but when things are in private, when it is harder to keep OOC knowledge if everything is open so i do allow it sometimes. Diplomacy is the one that FORCES actions and is never used for PCs interactions(much to the left player cheezel disappointment heh)

plus she got info that you dont know about so there is more reason for her not to trust you even with a good bluff, can only bluff someone that is not informed (like if someone knows what you are IC) :)

OOC: I rolled Bluff since that's the one that goes with NPC reactions, I didn't know what else to do since I thought she was checking Sam, well she would find out about domination anyway since Sam released Kaelin immediately as he rounded the corner and I think subjects remember that they did something against their will. Unless I'm mixing it with Charmed.

Prax-Suit.png.1d5a4c53881c22ef03dea988663c99b4.png

Prax rolled her eyes at the tired argument, recognizing that a deceased soldier was no less lost regardless of where or how they met their end. Squabbling over inter-service rivalries felt misplaced in the current circumstances.

The abrupt shift in Kaelan's demeanor, transitioning from refusal to servile compliance with the doctor's request, jolted Prax, evident in the swift turn of her head toward the troll. The conversation and examination had dredged up some conspiracy-ridden lines of thought, which she was quick to follow up on... '...nothing new, nothing unexpected.' This verification brought equal relief and escalating apprehension. Fears and biases instilled in her since childhood began to overwhelm the measured tolerance she had cultivated during her life lived within the SIM.

Prax's reaction and ensuing actions were slow to align with the unfolding events. Samuel had vanished into the darkness before the burst of flames erupted from her swiftly drawn sidearm could reach his retreating form. An anger-filled growl of frustration echoed from her, but she didn't pursue it. 'To think I thought we could suffer it to live... but it is even more dangerous.' Her head tilted slightly for a moment and then straightened as venom-filled words came from her, "I know you 'told me so' when we tried to help. There is no reason to gloat."

{Wait thinking Kaelan will come out of her stupor now that Samuel is gone. Upon reviewing the spell, it is a 1 day/level... we are not going to sit around that long. I could see a couple of minutes, beyond that is excessive. She will need to be confined and cared for while in this state.}

OOC

Well... this exchange did not end as expected... I am not certain if it could have gone any worse. 😬

Re: PvP social skills (and such skills on players from NPCs) is a fine line. Some people have a hard time with the nuance such an event should be handled with, IMO. As a player shouldn't be compelled to do/be something via a social roll, the success/failure should be a gradient of impact. For Bluff/Sense Motive it is not about trust between players, it is detecting what you assume is a lie.

I had an instance involving Intimidate. I didn't want to compel compliance or even a direction of actions. It was more of 'you (your character) should probably be seeing this person as a bit more dangerous than what I have explained'. I suppose you can say it meant as a warning? They didn't take it well. I think their reasoning boiled down to not being 'afraid' of anything their own size. Like okay, but you are level two.

For the sake of breaking down our current scene, assuming for a second she was searching for honesty in Samuel's words, she would be assumed to have detected no lie/ill intent. That doesn't mean she HAS to trust Samuel. It might mean she is hurt all the more when those lies are exposed or it might be a false brick in the foundation of their social relationship. None of that really applies to 'this' scene though

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

@Sohala Since it's the ability that only works as a spell I think Sam can free someone at will. I mean dominating someone for 12 days since it's counted as 12th level is... excessive. So as soon as he releases her she should be fine. He COULD hold her for 12 days maximum, but I doubt he HAS to. Also come on it's far from the worst thing, worst is always full-blown PVP. And that is avoided.

The troll shakes her head like she is waking from a dream "That sneaky bastard, WHERE ARE YOU FIEND! If I see him again i won't let him open his pretty little mouth!"

Watching the darkness she says " Ok lets clean this mess up and check on the rest of the AIs...."

She picks up the pieces and put them in a pile.

Prax

OOC: She does not become an enemy but is hostile to Samuel for any future meetings.

Name
reaction
1d20 16