Greetings

agricultural_chessman

Good evening.

Pre-COVID I was a DM at a local game store for 5e. COVID happened, and life changed. These days I have a particular interest in both Traveller and the OSR, although I’m a bit more excited for trying to play Traveller. I’ve already drawn up a list of books for Mongoose 2e that I’m looking to buy as my financial situation allows.

I am, in part, a caregiver, and although I have less responsibilities now I still have an erratic schedule. Especially as I work towards entering graduate school to complete my education. My internet is also all over the place, and although I can almost always get connection I cannot guarantee the quality or the amount of bandwidth. Something text based where I can play in one game, GM in another, and post once a day in both is pretty much my ideal.

I also write as a hobby. Although I don’t expect to be published anytime soon, any chance to write for an audience is appreciated. Playing chess is also a hobby of mine, although I’m starting later in life and I’m not very good at it.

I look forward to playing with you.

Welcome, and we're happy to have you! I know Traveller is starting to get some traction here, and I'm sure if you were to advertise it, you'd get lots of applications! I also believe the "Without Numbers" series of rules sets were inspired by the same (and as a bit of a fan of them, you can find links to the free versions in my signature :D)

9 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

Welcome, and we're happy to have you! I know Traveller is starting to get some traction here, and I'm sure if you were to advertise it, you'd get lots of applications! I also believe the "Without Numbers" series of rules sets were inspired by the same (and as a bit of a fan of them, you can find links to the free versions in my signature :D)

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked at Stars Without Number before. I think it would work very well if I wanted to some science fantasy, like a game in the style of ‘Outlaw Star’. However I think that Traveller works better for what I’m in the mood to run, which would be more in the vein of ‘Honor Harrington’, ‘Firefly’ or ‘Legend of Galactic Heroes’.

I need to get six books to run what I have in mind. I’m just wondering if it is better to run a single long campaign, or do shorter adventures in this format.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:51 PM, agricultural_chessman said:

Good evening.

Pre-COVID I was a DM at a local game store for 5e. COVID happened, and life changed. These days I have a particular interest in both Traveller and the OSR, although I’m a bit more excited for trying to play Traveller. I’ve already drawn up a list of books for Mongoose 2e that I’m looking to buy as my financial situation allows.

I am, in part, a caregiver, and although I have less responsibilities now I still have an erratic schedule. Especially as I work towards entering graduate school to complete my education. My internet is also all over the place, and although I can almost always get connection I cannot guarantee the quality or the amount of bandwidth. Something text based where I can play in one game, GM in another, and post once a day in both is pretty much my ideal.

I also write as a hobby. Although I don’t expect to be published anytime soon, any chance to write for an audience is appreciated. Playing chess is also a hobby of mine, although I’m starting later in life and I’m not very good at it.

I look forward to playing with you.

Welcome to the Weave, Agriculture. You're not the only one who's free time was shaken up by COVID and the like (for me, it was kids LOL). PbP is a great way to scratch those itches, though.

Anyhow, in case you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to our Myth-Weavers v6 User Guide, which contains several handy links that you will likely find useful. We do things a touch differently than some other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. You'll want to swing over by our Game Ads section to check that out! Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details.

We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (of all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to OSR to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support or have players for. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways. There is much to be gained by going outside of the box, after all.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel, especially if you have questions. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly 😂

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

Thank you for your supportive replies. I’ll be sure to ‘get chatty’ in the forums… Discord is a good tool, but I like the older of way of doing things a lot of times.

As for the format, I think semi-episodic might work well. Maybe something with the ability for players to leave and join between adventures? From what I’ve seen of the open games they basic function like their own sub-forums, so maybe a topic with each episode and downtime handled in OOC?

I’ll just need to learn my system(s) well enough to adapt to PbP. It’ll be an interesting challenge.

22 hours ago, agricultural_chessman said:

Thank you for your supportive replies. I’ll be sure to ‘get chatty’ in the forums… Discord is a good tool, but I like the older of way of doing things a lot of times.

As for the format, I think semi-episodic might work well. Maybe something with the ability for players to leave and join between adventures? From what I’ve seen of the open games they basic function like their own sub-forums, so maybe a topic with each episode and downtime handled in OOC?

I’ll just need to learn my system(s) well enough to adapt to PbP. It’ll be an interesting challenge.

Honestly, a lot of my games have survived longer because of discord. It's nothing short of a godsend when it comes to making sure everyone is talking and active and whatnot.

And yes - each game has it's own sub-forum to do as they please, so you can have multiple topics set up, as well as blog posts and the like to help support. You can do a lot with the newest version of MW.

I've found that PbP isn't that much different from a live game, except where pacing is concerned. There's a few accomidations that are necessary, such as mapping out battles for some systems, and being smart about how to do certain rulings, but it's not too much of a challenge on that end. Honestly, the biggest challenge is in sticking with it, and remembering to post. But you'll likely figure it out.