Adventure 2: A Legacy of Hate

Kylia Quilor

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

"Likely because someone else either cleared them out... or wrangled them," Alfren said, taking his own skin out and taking a swig before speaking in a quieter tone. "Probably the one that is watching us from the treeline. At least one."

"Jerky?" he asked, louder once again before continuing. He focus on the direction the observers were overtly but did his best to see if he could pick anything up now that he knew they were there.

"They are trying very hard not to be seen and almost managing it. Means probably the raiders over the spider devout."

spacer.png

Nodding and looking vaguely in the direction of the interloper, Shizune concentrated on her innate drow magics. As she grew deeper in tune with her spirit and body, that magical auras of her allies spells & items glowed in her sight.

Actions

I'm using her innate & constant detect magic ability. Trying to concentrate on his direction for at least 3 rounds to see if see can identify any magical auras, items, or spells. Maybe she ca find anyone else hiding with him using the auras. This is all assuming I have the 3 rounds necessary to do so. If not, disregard.

Name
Spellcraft Check (IDing any magic items)
1d20+14 9
Knowledge Arcana (IDing any spell auras)
1d20+2 20

There are multiple magical auras very close together in the direction of the interloper. One person with numerous magical items seems to be the most likely answer, given the intensity and the closeness. The auras give the 'flavor' of evocation, abjuration and transmutation, the three most common schools when it comes to magic items.

"It's a good thing you didn't think I was one of the followers of the Spider-Whore," a voice said, appearing out of seeming nowhere at the edge of the treeline from where they all were. It was a dark elf - the coal-black skin, the red eyes, the white hair, a sort of stubble quite close to his head, as if he'd shaved bald recently and let the hair begin to grow back, but it is still distinctly white. The elf was tall, slight-shouldered and if not for the long healed over (badly) scars on his neck, cheeks, over one eye and along his arms, might even be classed as 'pretty', the sort of weak and demure looking male who was often highly sought after by domineering Lolthite matriarchs as a plaything.

Though such a plaything wouldn't usually be wearing mithril chainmail and have a rapier at his belt. The several gold and silver rings he wore was more fitting, making it guard to gauge which exactly was the magical one (as Shizune could tell the elf was wearing magical rings on each hand). He wore an elaborate red and gold cape. His armor, rapier and cape were enchanted.

"I've killed people for insults far less." He looked at the group, eying Shizune, T'rissae and Elvangara especially, suspicion and hostility in his eyes as he looks at the women - by contrast he seems to look at Pym and even Alfren with a far more... appraising eye, smirking slightly. "I have no present quarrel with servants of the Dark Maiden," he said, but his hand rested on his rapier's hilt, the other hand grabbing the hem of his cape. "But I have to wonder what brings a group such as yours here, to the arse-end of the Eastern Heartlands."

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

spacer.png

Shizune smiled warmly at the newcomer, despite his obvious hostility towards the faithful. "We prefer to give all drow the benefit of the doubt, spider-lovers or not, though the they do make it difficult, sometimes." She inflected the word "they" with a bit venom, hoping to gain some sort of common ground with the new drow, and indicate exactly who they were.

"Presently, we are looking into some... let's say 'disturbances' for some friends, and are following leads that brought us here. Please feel free to come and rest with us. We are tired from the journey, and I imagine that you are tired as well. I'd enjoy if you came and sat with us for a spell, as you may can help us." While her words were sincere, Shizune tried to appraise the situation and get a good idea on who they were talking to and what his intentions truly were.

Actions

Diplomacy & Sense Motive, ftw

Also, I'd like to prepare a SelectedRange close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target A wordspell with this target word affects a single target within range.
Simple Order (Fall)The target of a wordspell with this effect word must follow one of five simple commands to the best of its ability on its next turn. If the target cannot take the specified action on its next turn, this effect of the wordspell fails.

Fall: The target falls to the ground and remains prone until its next turn. It can otherwise act normally.
(DC 17 Will Save) for if he tries anything hostile.

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy
1d20+18 11
Sense Motive
1d20+13 20

Elvangara Collosz

spacer.pngElvangara Collosz — Half Elf (Drow) Investigator 9
AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision
Inspiration 8/8 (1d6+2)| Martial Flexibility 4/4

Active Conditions (not included in stats above):

• heightened awareness (90 minutes remaining)
  •  

Extracts

1st: cure light wounds, heightened awareness, shield x2, open x2

2nd: alchemical allocation x4, barkskin, open x2

3rd: channel vigor, displacement, fly, open

The Trading Post

Elva looked the man down trying not to give away too much in her expression. "And they've no quarrel with you, I'm sure."

She paused fishing for a name, wondering if she knew or ever heard of anyone who met this man's description.

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

Name
history
1d20+10+1d6+2 18,3
local
1d20+14+1d6+2 7,5

"I keep forgetting how naively hopefully your lot is," he says, removing his hand from his rapier. "You found the moonlight, and so think everyone else can and will." He rolled his eyes, but made no hostile moves. He steps further into the clearing. "I suppose it's your corpse being fed to their pets rather than mine," he added with a shrug.

"The Spider-lovers, then. Jezz has caused no disturbance for anyone, to my continued surprise. You're heading in the wrong direction if you're looking for their camp, you know." He gestured in a more northwestern direction, over his shoulder. "I'd be happy to show you the way. It'll mean more of them dead, in the long run, and everybody wins when that happens." He sounds gleeful at the idea of servants of Lolth dying - not just something he approves of, more than just an enemy dying. This is a man who loathes worshippers of Lolth with every fiber of his being, and his words are dripping with hate at the end, eyes wide and a grin forming.

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

T'rissae watched warily as the Vhaeraunan's approached and rolled her shoulder to allow the hilt of her bastard sword lower for easier access, if needed. She relaxed a little, when the leader moved his hand from his weapon and maintained a neutral demeanor, but remained alert for any change in tone.

"The moonlight can be ubiquitous," she said with a smile. "It's light may turn up in unexpected places and that light may even become sharp and blinding. Nonetheless, knowing the direction of the spider-kissers," her words describing the Lolthites held particular venom borne of both her own dark history as much as the desire to align more with their 'guests' perspective, "would be welcome, but we might also be curious as to what else to expect in the area. If we were to continue the way were going, for instance," she finished, gesturing southwest.

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

Edited by DarkNetwerk (see edit history)

The male's posture stiffens a little, and he has a regretful expression on his face. "Well, then we might have a bit of a problem, if you kept going that way. Well, you might eventually, anyway. I'm not quite stupid enough to try and take you all on on my own." He let go of his rapier and grabbed his cape with both hands, though he did nothing more. "See, going that way would mean Jezz and I and all our friends might have to do something about you, and honestly, so far, I like you both," he gestured to T'rissae and Shizune. "And I wouldn't mind getting to know you a little better," he added, looking at Alfren with a smirk, licking his lower lip very slightly.

"Way I see it, Faerun's a more fun place when more people who hate the spider-kissers are in it. But, needs must, sometimes." He looked them over, taking a step back, still holding onto the cape. "I'd prefer not to fight you, now or later, but as I said - needs must."

spacer.png

"Far be it from us to start a war with our brothers under the stars. We're just looking for someone out this direction, and would like to continue our investigation." Shizune stopped weighing her next words. "Is there any way we could do so in this direction, and maintain within the good graces of you and your associates? We would hate to step on any toes..."

Shizune let the unfinished thought hang in the air, hoping her kindness doesn't show as weakness. Drow were such funny things that required a show of force, and she abhorred killing her own kind. Then she had a thought. "Or maybe you could help us with some information on our suspect?"

Actions

I can Diplomacy & Sense Motive, if still needed.

Also, I'd like to prepare a SelectedRange close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target A wordspell with this target word affects a single target within range.
Simple Order (Fall)The target of a wordspell with this effect word must follow one of five simple commands to the best of its ability on its next turn. If the target cannot take the specified action on its next turn, this effect of the wordspell fails.

Fall: The target falls to the ground and remains prone until its next turn. It can otherwise act normally.
(DC 17 Will Save) for if he tries anything hostile.

Elvangara Collosz

AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision

•  

Extracts

The Trading Post

Elva smiled with a theory. She looked at Madadh and wondered if he'd reached the same conclusions. If she was right, their guest might prefer speaking to him. "Are you certain you'd like to help us? Your reputation suggests you don't typically assist women. Though I suppose we aren't all women, are we?" She glanced pointedly at Alfren then back at the drow, not revealing his name but showing clearly she knew his reputation.

"But then I suppose helping Jezz doesn't exactly fit your history either. So it makes one wonder, why are you? Not that we mind thrashing a group of spider lovers with you or without you. It would be nice to understand your motivation better."

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

"Oh, so you have heard of me." He gave an elaborate, mocking bow with a flourish. "Demaire Vi'rozza, very much not at your service." He said to Elva. "Possibly yours, if you're interested," he said, smirking at Alfren. "As for helping Jezz, he's paying, though he does get a discount for being a fellow follower of the Masked Lord." He shrugged, "Have to keep some caverns open, after all. As long as Jezz is paying, I take orders from him."

"Looking for someone," He gave Shizune a thoughtful look. "Well, then I almost certainly really can't let you go further without this coming to violence eventually, even if not right now. Because if you're not here for us, and you're not here for the spider-kissers, then you have to be here for a certain redhead. And she's ensured Jezz has every incentive to keep people from wandering too far to where she's going. I'm not really sure what you could offer to get me to betray my current paymaster. I won't call Jezz a friend, but a drow does have to eat, and if I get a reputation for treachery at the drop of a hat..." He leaned back a little, eying Alfren the most, but not looking away from anyone.

Fradere had been staying silent this whole time, clearly deciding it wasn't his affair, though he was keeping a hand on a weapon, in case a fight broke out.

It didn't take an expert in body language to tell from the smirks, the look in his eyes and the way he'd licked his lip that Demaire was attracted to Alfren.

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

"I tend to keep my liaisons to people that don't openly admit to they're going to kill me for coin. Personal policy," Alfren replied with a smirk of his own. "But as for treachery, ignoring the stereotypes that drow suffer from, there is something to be said for recognizing a losing deal. Since you've clearly figured our point of interest then I'm certain you've put the pieces together that Jezz's new business partner is attracting exactly the wrong sort of attention for a band like yours."

His own hand hadn't strayed far from his weapon. They were walking a fine line here, raiders like these were all smiles until they drove the knife into your back. They weren't concerned about fair fights or matters of honor. Just profit, plunder, and the service of whatever vices they found most appealing. From what he knew of the man... he wouldn't kill them for fun like some would. But he would kill them without the slightest hesitation if it served his interests.

Elvangara Collosz

•  

Extracts

The Trading Post

Elva smiled a little wider and winked at Demaire, then at Alfren then back at Demaire, "That's fair."

"Now of course you don't want to cross Jezz, and that's fair. Understandable. But Alfren has a good point. Are you sure that Jezz wouldn't want to hear a better offer than what he's getting from ... your redhead? Are you sure he wouldn't even want to hear about it?"

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

"As I live and breathe," she said with a shake of her head, her eyes wide in mock shock. "I never would have expected followers of the Lord of Shadow to work together with followers of the Queen of Spiders," she continued, frowning in consternation, "even if their matron was a youngling. Perhaps this redhead of yours, with the packs she gifted both sides, is a grand peacemaker between what I would have thought were disparate groups."

"Well... if your two groups can, effectively, hold hands like long lost lovers, I think there is hope for the Dark Maiden's light to reach everyone," she finished with a beaming smile. "In any case, if my colleagues cannot convince you, we can always go the way you suggest, ask the Spider-Kissers about her."

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

Demaire drew his rapier and leveled it at T'rissae, "I am not working with any follower of that venomous whore." His eyes blazed, keeping his weapon pointed at her, his cape no longer in his hands. His nostrils flared, his breathing fast, sharp and harsh, taking a step to the side, clearing a direct path towards T'rissae - he charged forward he'd have no trouble trying to stab her with his blade, from where he stood now, but he was at least still cognizant of his situation to not attack while so severely outnumbered.

"Jezz is not working alongside any followers of Lolth," He said the name with the sort of snarl one might reserve for describing the smell of rotting flesh mixed with fecal matter, a disdain all but physically palpable. "And you will not proceed in the direction you're going if you don't want to get attacked." He was still breathing sharp, harsh, angry breaths, though a little deeper now, inhaling audibly through his nose, eyes narrowed. "If you have anything else to say, insults or offers, you can say it to Jezz. Find him without going southwest and maybe he won't kill you all." 

He didn't sheath his blade, but he lowered it quickly, grabbing onto the edges of his cape, one hand still holding the rapier, and he ducked his head down, pulling the cape up over his head and vanishing in a puff of dark gray smoke.

@Blanket_Thunder @Fiery Gift

Alfren can look at the path Demaire made through the undergrowth as he walked into the clearing originally. Demaire was good at trying not to leave a trace, but he was no woodsman - following the path should be fairly doable, if they wanted to find where Jezz and the other followers of the Masked Lord were camped.