Adventure 2: A Legacy of Hate

Kylia Quilor

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

T'rissae nodded in agreement. "I'd hate to pass up the chance at a bed," she said, taking another a sip at her wine, "and we can always set up watch shifts... of two, since Shizune has less need of meditation. Also, while it can still be a bit jarring coming out of our meditative trance, like all elves, we are fully aware of our surroundings."

"Besides, it might be risky for the Vhaeraunites, at least, to cause a fuss here if they like the ale and the ambiance."

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

You know I have magic for that Elva, otherwise you would have gotten the best of me long ago. Pym replied with a smile. Trissae has a good notion. For my part, I'm comfortable with rotating our meditation shifts to keep trouble at bay. Although, truth be told, I wouldn't mind if trouble did come knocking tonight. I have some questions I'd like to ask it.

He was pleased with how quickly they had been able to secure a guide. The new additions were proving quite adept thus far.

Elvangara Collosz

spacer.pngElvangara Collosz — Half Elf (Drow) Investigator 9
AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision
Inspiration 8/8 (1d6+2)| Martial Flexibility 4/4

Active Conditions (not included in stats above):

•  
  •  

Extracts

1st (4/4)

The Trading Post

Elva shrugged at Pym and raised an eyebrow, "Or, consider that I have already gotten the best of you and your magic isn't good enough for you to realize it yet?"

The smile she wore showed she was clearly joking, right?

"Regardless, as conventional and predictable as it is, shall we get two rooms? Boys and girls? I'm no stranger to sleeping on the floor and keeping some sort of watch seems prudent."

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

Sleep came as easily or difficultly for them as it ever might, but there were no attacks in the night. The other guests they'd seen at the tavern, including Fradere, headed out into tents as the sun started to set. The gnomes departed around the same time, and Davronne was alone in the taproom by the time everyone went upstairs.

Watch passed uneventfully, only the sound of crickets chirping outside, wind in the trees - nothing severe, mostly just breezes - and the occasional hoot of an owl to punctuate the night's stillness. When day finally came with the sunrise, and everyone was ready, Fradere was out front of one of the tents, wearing his hunting leathers, bow and arrow slung over his back, sword at his belt, along with several knives. He was crouched by a small firepit in front of his tent, cooking a sausage over the flames on a two-pronged fork, and then bringing it up to take a bit out of it after it was cooked, charred in a few spots.

"Not much out southwest," Fradere said once some of them were out front of him. "Expect ettercaps. Big ones."

Elvangara Collosz

AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision

• heightened awareness (90 minutes remaining)
  •  

Extracts

1st: cure light wounds, heightened awareness, shield x2, open x2

2nd: alchemical allocation x4, barkskin, open x2

3rd: channel vigor, displacement, fly, open

The Trading Post

Elva took a quick and light breakfast in the inn, so was ready and uninterested in Fradere's sausage, dressed and ready to adventure. Or mostly, "Lovely," she commented on the news of large ettercaps. She mixed up a bunch of extracts to prepare for the day, then quickly downed one of them to help her detect danger.

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

Alfren stretched as he walked out the door, brushing his hair back with one hand to wipe away the moisture from a quick dousing in water. His whip was at his side as always and he seemed well rested, eager to be on the move.

"Do they pose an issue around here or are they mostly avoidable?" he asked the scout. "I've dealt with a nest here and there in more populated areas but never on anything of that scale."

spacer.png

Shizune stepped out of the inn seeming an almost different person. Her long flowing robes were replaced by the gleam of Drow-made chain mail, catching the light of dawn and twinkling in answer. Strapped to her left arm was a matching shield embossed with the crescent moon, the symbol of the Goddess. She carried a long quarterstaff, carved in the likeness of two snakes entertwined together, one black and one white. Her long flowing hair was neatly braided down her back and her diminutive hands showed the severe burn scars she always fought to hide. Her expensive jewelry was still in place, as well as the Mithral cords she often wove into her hair. She had obviously taken great care of her appearance throughout the early morning.

The clinking of the Mithral armor drummed a cadence as she approached the group and shook Fredere’s hand, offering a warm smile and slight bow to the man. Turning around, and ignoring the thought of ettercaps before vomiting, she spoke warmly, “I’d like to pray together before we leave, if that’s alright.”

OOCGonna cast a life link on everyone, including Fredere.

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)

"They mostly stay away from the post and the village. More a problem for hunters and woodsmen." Fradere nodded to Shizune, not objecting her prayer or her spell. "Keeping the gods on side is good."

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

With the somewhat cramped quarters the group was in, T'rissae's nightly Evensong was more of a swaying in place, small steps, at most, and soft humming, sending her message to the Dark Lady. In the morning, once outside, she felt the need to stretch and work out any kinks, given the dangerous potential of the next stage of their journey. Her calisthenics were more like a slow dance, an arm or a leg reaching out far elongating her muscles and then slowly retracting inward as she contracted them. Her movements picked up speed as she limbered up, the dance becoming a whirlwind of movement before she ended in an upright rigid stance, a trickle of sweat on her brow but her breathing still measured, despite the exertion. She then relaxes into a more natural stance as she turns to look at Olathan'ar, her cat, grey-stripes on otherwise dark hair, save for a blazing patch of white on his chest. He had completed his own far less dramatic stretches well before the lithe drow had finished her routine, and was merely sitting and watching, occasionally licking a paw.

T'rissae reached out her arm and Olathan'ar leapt, almost flew, up to land on it and nimbly crawl up her arm to settle on her shoulders, between her neck and the gleaming hilt of her bastard sword, at which point she unconsciously started to scratch his chin as she turned to the others.

"Something to keep an eye out for, certainly," she said when informed of the ettercaps. She then nodded at Shizune's request and joined as the priestess led her prayer.

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

spacer.png

With a nod of acceptance, Shizune walked around each of the party members, touching them gingerly on the shoulders and muttering a brief song of prayer up to the Dark Maiden with a voice of purest velvet. As she did, the familiar feeling of protective magic enveloped each person, a similar feeling to an teacher looming over you to check your work.

Finishing with Fredere, she smiles and says, "Should any harm come to any of you, Our Lady will protect you, and I will sense it, so long as we remain relatively near each other. It will be easier for me to assess and heal you this way, too.

I am finished and ready when you all are. "

Actions

I'm establishing a Life LinkAs a standard action, you may create a bond between yourself and another creature. Each round at the start of your turn, if the bonded creature is wounded for 5 or more hit points below its maximum hit points, it heals 5 hit points and you take 5 hit points of damage. You may have one bond active per oracle level. This bond continues until the bonded creature dies, you die, the distance between you and the other creature exceeds medium range, or you end it as an immediate action with everyone, including Fradere.

Elvangara Collosz

• heightened awareness (90 minutes remaining)
  •  

Extracts

1st: cure light wounds, heightened awareness, shield x2, open x2

2nd: alchemical allocation x4, barkskin, open x2

3rd: channel vigor, displacement, fly, open

The Trading Post

Elva joined in with Shizune's and Fradere's prayers, agreeing with the sentiment that keeping the gods on side was always a good idea. She could feel what Shizune was doing and nodded in gratitude. "Careful not to take on too much. If you need to sever mine, don't hesitate. And I'm ready as well"

She would produce and consume more extracts once it seemed they were getting close to danger, but for now she conserved them.

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

The hunter shifted awkwardly at the woman's offered prayers. He'd never been much for observances, in a fight he was as agile as they came but when it came time for the more ritual dancing things had never gone nearly as smoothly. Most of his worship had been done in quiet dedication, offering his efforts in hunting those creatures that would disrupt the harmony the Dark Maiden sought to create.

"My thanks," he said simply at Shizune when she completed her prayers.

"If you're all ready, we can head out then," Fradere said. He finishes up his sausage and packs up his tent - clearly designed to be easy to take down and set up, the pole doubling as a quarterstaff, which he holds onto as they set out, heading southwest. Fradere is largely silent as they travel, unless asked questions, which he is taciturn and private in his answers, refusing to give many details about his life. If asked about the forest, he is more loquacious, but that is a very relative term.

As they proceed further from the trading post, cobwebs in the trees start to become more visible, larger and more fequent. The size of the spiders they see scuttling over them increases as well, with some the size of a hand in the trees. There are also large numbers of small flying insects and small birds. Out of the corner of their eyes, some larger creatures can be seen, all too many legs and clicking along the ground.

About two hours in, a half-dozen spiders the size of dogs try to ambush them, dropping down from the trees, but they are, ultimately, dispatched with relative ease. Fradere uses his quarterstaff to great effect, despite having the sword and bow. Once they're dead, he draws a knife and crouches to start cutting out their eyes and internal venom sacs, cutting with the efficiency of practice. "Good money. No need to waste them," he said by way of explanation as he set to butchering the corpses.

Another few hours, and Fradere suggests stopping for a short break, and pulls some dried fruit and dried meat from his pack as he sits down on the trunk of a fallen tree.

"Not enough spiders," Fradere said after a moment. "Should have been attacked more." He purses his lips thoughtfully between bites of food and a few sips from his waterskin, but says nothing else without prompting.

Name
Alfren Perception
1d20+16 18
Elva Perception
1d20+18 3
Shizune Perception
1d20+3 19
T'rissae Perception
1d20+14 17
Pym Perception
1d20+13 18