Adventure 2: A Legacy of Hate

Kylia Quilor

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

"Well, that went swimmingly," Alfren said dryly, still keeping his hand near his whip in case the raider decided he was willing to die on that particular hill. After a few more moments he relaxed, if only slightly, and rolled his shoulders.

"If we want to follow him we can, he's good but he's definitely more of a sneak than a woodsman. Otherwise we can worry about the other murderous cult and come back to the regular murderous raiders after we've laid eyes on the Llothites."

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

T'rissae kept her smile wide as Demaire pointed his rapier at her but kept still to avoid provoking him further. When he calmed himself and disappeared in a puff of smoke, she merely waved at the space where he had been. "Such a nice man," she commented lightly before nodding at Alfren's deadpan assessment.

"Indeed. Now he has something to chew on for his trip back to Jezz," she said, before continuing to add her thoughts on the options Alfren listed. "It's clear that the Vhaeraunan mercenaries are unaware that Jannesey, Vendaya, or whatever she wants to call herself, also has dealings with the Lolthites. If their leader is similarly uninformed, this might be a wedge we can take advantage of." The lithe drow tugged at her earring absently in thought before continuing. "Demaire will need enough time to get the information to his leader, and Jezz will need enough time to absorb and come to terms with it, but not so much time that our quarry can turn the tables and scatter the steps of our little dance."

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

spacer.png

Shizune frowned as everything spiraled into chaos. In the seconds after the climax, she looked at her scarred hands, understanding and relating to the pain of the drow male. Without really answering the others she spoke, "My former sisters tortured him beyond any imaginations. No wonder he was so upset to hear that they may be working together. I'd be upset, too."

Walking to the edge of the clearing, towards where he came from, Shizune raised her voice a bit higher, hoping the drow could hear, and knowing his cloak's dimension door didn't take him far. "I know that you have suffered, like me, at the hands of my former sisters, and I know that your treatment was likely worse. You may not want to hear from us, but we should be heading the other way soon. We'd appreciate your company if you can find it in your heart to look past our words and understand our actions. I know you would enjoy the ensuing madness and the chance for some justice, should things not go well. We know how they are."

She left open the implication that the Lolthites are going to need killing, hoping to entice the spiritually wounded man to action.

Actions

None for now.

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)

Demaire's voice rang back after a moment's pause. "If you're actually serious in your offer, look for me near the Spider-b*tches' camp three miles northwest." He didn't say anything else, his tone harder to pick out since he was raising his voice, but he didn't sound any happier than before, and didn't seem like he believed them entirely, if he was saying it like that. Still.

Fradere finally spoke up, after having stayed off to the side during the discussion. "Ettercaps used to have nesting spot up there, couple miles northwest of here. If that angry boy's telling the truth, they're not there anymore."

It certainly sounded like Shizune had convinced him to give them a second chance of sorts - and he was all but certain to be more favorably disposed towards them if they took him up on the offer. Finding Jezz and the rest of his followers might let them work that wedge between them and Jannessey/Vendaya, if they didn't know she was also paying the Lolthites. Or they could press ahead, further southwest, risking provoking attack, but they still might be able to talk an attacker down, depending on who was behind it.

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

"I say let's move towards the Lolthites. We have the confirmation we need about the raiders and while they're fanatics of a sort, they aren't the same breed as followers of Lolth. They're going to care more about survival than faith when push comes to shove," Alfren said.

Standing he rolled his shoulders and drew his whip from his belt, keeping in coiled in his hand. Clearly one way or the other they were likely to end up in a fight before the day was out, whether it was with drow, their minions, or who knew what else was out here.

spacer.png
    T'rissae Torana

T'rissae nodded at Alfren's suggestion. "We should connect with Demaire as we approach. Not only is our 'angry boy' fun to goad, we need to make sure he survives," she said as she opens and opens her satchel to allow Olathan'ar the opportunity to stretch his legs. Instead, he takes a nip at her finger. "Ow!"

"I may not know the subtleties of negotiation but there seemed a lack of tact on your part," the cat said to her.

"The truth sometimes hurts," she replied, sucking on her finger ironically before continuing, "and his reaction makes me think he already had some level of suspicion, perhaps not conscious, towards our quarry. The first step of our dance has begun," she continued, beginning to move into her own dance, aligning with and emphasizing her words. "Now, beyond the whirltwirling around on one foot of battle that is likely to come, we can guide Demaire's steps towardsstepping along a line, arms out, as if leading a partner alongside her any other evidence amongst the Lolthites. With that in hand we send him on a grand jetepicks up speed and takes a long leap back into the arms of his leader, Jezz," she finished on landing and turned back to her familiar, her arms crossed around herself as if in a hug. Her dance complete, she opened her arms. "where the revelation may present an opportunity for us. There is a limit to how much we might be able to convince him ourselves, but coming from his aide..."

Olanthar gave a growl or purr, it's hard to tell which, before giving what sounds like a sigh as he leapt up into T'rissae's arms, accepting a hug from her before climbing up to wrap himself over her shoulders, swatting her head with a paw on the way. "And we both know how your plans never go awry," he says, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "You're not the Demon Queen of Spiders, don't get everyone caught in your own web."

Take 10 Stat Block

Potentially relevant take 10 results (when not in immediate danger or distracted):

Social: Bluff = 23, Diplomacy = 25, Intimidate = 33, Perception = 24, Sense Motive = 20

Adventuring Knowledges: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes = 17, Religion = 21

Background Knowledges: Geography, History, Nobility = 17; Lore (Eilistraee) = 21

Physical: Acrobatics = 28, Climb = 16, Escape Artist = 20, Stealth = 35, Swim = 16

Other: Spellcraft = 17, Use Magic Device = 26

Other Background: Artistry (choreography) = 21, Craft (alchemy) = 17, Craft (weapons) = 20, Perform (dance) = 28, Perform (sing) = 22, Profession (cook) = 16

With Fradere's guidance, they make their way in the direction indicated, and Alfren does indeed notice a few signs of a single humanoid's passage through the forest ahead of them, here and there. Demaire didn't seem to have taken the exact route they did, but it was probably his signs of passage they were coming across as he moved to be in a position to do something about the Lolthites. Eventually, Fradere held up a hand.

"Clearing's about a quarter mile ahead. You may want to be quiet for that part." He explained.

"The hunter's not wrong," Demaire said, seemingly materializing out of thin air from within the trees, though not quite. He stepped onto the worn animal track they were using, out of the trees, brushing errant leaves and twigs off his cape. "Near as I can tell, their leader isn't there, but there's a dozen of them there right now, and six spiders the size of horses." He glared at them all in turn, but any issues he might have had seemed to be - for the moment - dampened by the chance to kill Lolthites. He pulled out his sword - slowly - and scratched a rough map in the dirt. "Their tents are up here, on the northern end, down here on the southern end, they have cages, holding the spiders. Always two guards by the cages, from everything I've seen. They have another one patrolling over here," at the eastern end of the clearing, "and here," the western end. "The rest are at the tents. At least two priestesses," he said the word like a prim, proper old woman might say 'whore', "and a wizard. The rest are more run of the mill soldiers, probably leftovers from the guard of one of Maerimydra's Houses."

"Assuming you five are half as skilled as you look, then the six of us should be able to handle the twelve at once, but if you'd rather try to lure a few out, I'm all for that too." Demaire added. "As long as they die."

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

"I've heard worse ideas," Alfren said grudgingly. "If they're amassing spiders of that size its only matter of time until they turn them on something nearby."

He crouched, keeping his whip coiled in his hand. There wasn't much he could see happening here from a diplomatic perspective. Vhaeraun's followers were vindictive murderers but they were nothing compared to Lloth's fanatics. And if they could find evidence of their quarry working with the Lolthites it could disrupt her partnership with Jezz's faction as well.

Pym lower lip pouted out a little as he listened to the plans. He was surprised at how quickly they had latched on to Demaire's plans. From "investigative team" to "hit squad". That is kind of a big change .

This is probably a boring detail, I would like to know why the Llothites are in the area at all before we engage them. I'd also like to know who else is coming, but that might be an unrealistic goal.

Pym didn't believe that Demaire would allow negotiation, so he tried to add in a tidbit towards the plan to keep their guide from thinking they would flake out.

But - for the matter at hand - perhaps to draw the spiders out, I could summon an attractively sized prey animal? Have it wander in front of the spiders and then lead them away after it gets their attention?

spacer.png

"They are as well-trained as surface military horses, but it's not a bad idea. It may distract them long enough for a blast from a fireball or such, I'd imagine," Shizune added, then spoke what everyone was pretty much thinking. "I know we aren't a hit squad, yet I also know that these priestesses will not come quietly, easily, or even reasonably. My faith also requires that I give them the chance for mercy, at least once. Likely, few of them--if any--will see the Light. But I have to try. Do I have your blessing, Demaire, before we start slitting throats?"

Actions

None for now.

Elvangara Collosz

spacer.pngElvangara Collosz — Half Elf (Drow) Investigator 9
AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision
Inspiration 8/8 (1d6+2)| Martial Flexibility 4/4

Active Conditions (not included in stats above):

• heightened awareness (?? minutes remaining)
  • heroism (200 minutes remaining)
  • barkskin +4 natural AC (90 minutes remaining)
  • mutagen +4 str -2 int +2 natural AC (90 minutes remaining)
  • elixir of stealth +10 stealth (60 minutes remaining)

Extracts

1st: cure light wounds, heightened awareness, shield x2, open x12

2nd: alchemical allocation x24, barkskin, open x2

3rd: channel vigor, displacement, fly, open

The Llothite Ambush

Elva shrugged at the 'not a hit squad' comment. Weren't they? "Maybe not yet. But with a little preparation."

She consumed her mutagen, then a couple of extracts in quick order. They'd last a while if they were called upon to be that hit squad.

"Run your diversion when you want, I'm ready. I don't mind if you offer a chance to surrender but I would rather not present myself as a target while you do." She slipped into shadows and hid near Shizune, hidden but ready to watch her back. Then she sent her familiar to fly high overhead and watch for trouble.

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed:

Name
stealth with heroism, elixir
1d20+22 16

spacer.png

"Fair enough... If we can spare one, that is all I ask. I will not try to give away our advantage." Shizune chocked the doctrinal dispute up to "denominational differences," and went about her pre-battle routines, checking her mail and tightening the strap on her shield, then continued.

"I will try to immobilize or stun as many of the casters as I can with magic, when we're all ready. If Pym wants to try to distract the spiders at the same time, that will give the others the chance to make a first assault. Everyone be wary of poisoned darts and swords. I can neutralize the poison after combat, but during may be problematic. I will try to put up as much of a barrier from ranged weapons as I can. Also the priestesses and wizard will attempt to inflict as much pain as possible as slowly as possibly. Use that to your advantage if you can."

Actions

None for now.

Stat-Block

Shizune DeVir
Female NG Drow Oracle, Level 9, Init +4, HP 75/75, Speed 20
AC 26, Touch 14, Flat-footed 22, CMD 20'
Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 (+12 vs. Charm/Compulsion)

CMB +10/+5, Base Attack Bonus+6/+1   
Quarterstaff of Entwined Serpents Cast Magic Missile (2x) 1d4+1
Coldsteel Shortsword +6/+1 (1d6, 16-20x2)
Hand Crossbow +6/+1 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
+2 Spell Storing Mithral Chainmail, +2 Mithral Heavy Shield (+8 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 22

Conditions:
None

Miscellaneous Info:
- Life LinkEach round at the start of your turn, if the bonded creature is wounded for 5 or more hit points below its maximum hit points, it heals 5 hit points and you take 5 hit points of damage. You may have one bond active per oracle level. This bond continues until the bonded creature dies, you die, the distance between you and the other creature exceeds medium range, or you end it as an immediate action: Bonded with all PCs & Fradere
- 120' Darkvision
- Spell Resistance: 15
- Constant Detect Magic
- (7/7) Channel Positive Energy: 5d6 (DC 20)
- (4/4) Meta Word Uses
- Spell Storing Armor: Greater Cure on Touch (1/1)

Demaire sighed, "I suppose watching you try will be amusing enough." He granted, his expression quickly returning to a cruel smirk. "The spiders around here like to eat deer, if they can get their hands on them. At least the really big ones do. You don't usually see six so close together, from what I've seen. So give them a deer, or something that'll trick their tiny little brains into thinking is one and you'll get them straining at the wooden bars holding them in, if not breaking out."

Starlight flying over the clearing is able to verify what Demaire said - there's about two or three hundred feet between the tents and the cages. The tents were pretty normal, save for one, which was larger, made from what looked like silver silk (probably spidersilk) and stitched with the name of Lolth and the ninety-nine titles for her in black Elven script (the dark elf dialect). That was not a particular common thing, the 99 titles of Lolth - Spider Queen was usually all her followers needed. The priestess running this group was either very old school, or even more fervent than your usual spider-kisser.

The spiders in the cages seemed to be calm for now, waiting perfectly still, the two guards staying just out of reach of their legs if they thrust them through the cages. The cages were made of wood, but honestly didn't seem all that strong. The Dark Elves were probably keeping them under control in other ways. Each was armed with a hand crossobow and a rapier and a dagger.

The patrolling guards were doing the same. None of them seemed to be very well adapted to the sunlight - Demaire by contrast seemed to be completely okay with it, as to be expected by one of his ilk.

The tents had more soldiers, armed similarly, and the promised wizard and two clerics. The clerics were definitely wearing mithril chainmail, or something that looked like it, and they had whips at their belts. The wizard wore robes, and no shirt (and tight pants) underneath, and judging by the way one of the clerics had her hands on him, that was for a good reason.

spacer.png

Alfren Ker

Alfren shrugged.

"Our mission was to find out what was going on, but something tells me they weren't expecting us to have a polite conversation with a band of Lolth worshipers. The fact that he's talking to us instead of fighting us is a minor miracle," he said, jerking his thumb at the belligerent drow. "Once we get into it I can keep their soldiers busy if you three focus on removing the threat of the casters."

Elvangara Collosz

spacer.pngElvangara Collosz — Half Elf (Drow) Investigator 9
AC/T/FF 25/15/22 | HP 81/81 | Init +7 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 10/12/12 | Darkvision
Inspiration 8/8 (1d6+2)| Martial Flexibility 4/4

Active Conditions (not included in stats above):

• heightened awareness (?? minutes remaining)
  • heroism (200 minutes remaining)
  • barkskin +4 natural AC (90 minutes remaining)
  • mutagen +4 str -2 int +2 natural AC (90 minutes remaining)
  • elixir of stealth +10 stealth (60 minutes remaining)

Extracts

1st: cure light wounds, heightened awareness, shield x2, open x12

2nd: alchemical allocation x24, barkskin, open x2

3rd: channel vigor, displacement, fly, open

The Llothite Ambush

Elva, hidden from view, moved around the outskirts of the clearing, hoping to get in a better position to go after the casters as Alfren suggested. She'd give Shizune her chance to stun and talk, offer a chance to surrender. But she was ready to charge in after the clerics and wizards as soon as it failed.

Mechanics

Swift:

Move:

Standard:
Free:

AoO if needed: