Keshka's Sidebar — The Crash

iantruesilver

Torch — Temple of Brigh

spacer.png"Oh good, you're awake." Distracted by the thoughts in your own head and from looking through your loot, wondering where the bodies of the zhen worms have gone off to, you didn't even hear the door open until Kathleen's voice started speaking from behind.

"You've been out for three days… How're you feelin'?" An orphan of a tragic accident, Kathleen was one of the first people you had met after coming to Torch, and had apprenticed under Father Joram Kyte alongside you pretty much every step of the way, except that she'd actually paid attention to her work and teachings as opposed to holding an attitude of apprehension against it all.

In fact, you can't honestly recall a moment when Kathleen wasn't cheerful or encouraging, or at the very least polite…

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Keshka

KeshkaPortrait.png.c5a8b8226b763306509344da12ab2897.png

"Three days? Who brought me in?" Keshka was really grateful to see someone she actually knew. Of course Kathleen was the one checking in on her, she had always been the one to find her and bring her back to lessons when they were growing up. "Honestly, been better. I should be dead. Father Joram was right, I shouldn't be going out solo. Don't you dare tell him I said that though. I wanted to bring this back for you to look at but... I think I used it up.". She held up her wrist to show the bracer she had put back on.

"I don't suppose you have heard any groups going out to sites recently? I just... Can't rest comfortably right now." Kathleen would know what she meant. The urge to go somewhere, anywhere was always strongest after Keshka had recovered from something, injury, illness, etc. The longer she spent rested in bed the worse it got.

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 3 [b]Ref[/b] 5 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +3 [b]BAB[/b] 1 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +4 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN HP 12 / 12 Speed ft Init 3 AC 17 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1 CMB +3 BAB 1 Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3) Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Commonly Used Skills/Special notes

Favored Enemy: Constructs +2
+X Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks
+X bonus on weapon attack/dmg
Can make untrained K skill checks to identify creatures with type

Perception: +5, +7 vs constructs

Torch — Temple of Brigh

spacer.png"Well, you remember that hot town guard Efraim?" Kathleen said, alluding to a certain brown haired man with aquamarine eyes, "He brought you in, said something about how he watched two people just drop you off in front of Iven's, didn't say a word to anyone before they left."

Shrugging with a knowing smile, the girl took a seat next to your cot. Having shared a set of quarters with her for many years, you were not afraid to be close with one another. "What, oh..."

"Yeah that looks like it's pretty dead to me..." She said after manipulating your pretty bracelet for a little bit, while it's still on your wrist. "Oh yeah speaking of which, I brought your zhen worm carcasses to the Foundry Tavern, figured they would have better luck distilling them, the state they were in..."

Hearing you ask about people going scavenging, Kathleen shakes her head, looking visibly tense for a moment, before heaving a heavy sigh, "Um Kesh honey, you uh, you don't wanna go anywhere just yet..."

Not entirely sure how to broach the subject, she said only a cautionary with a feeble attempt at smiling that no doubt presages some kind of bad news, "You kind of um, missed a lot..."

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Keshka

Keshka blushed a little at the mention of Efraim. It was embarrassing that he had seen her in such bad shape. But she was grateful it was someone she knew, at least she ended up back somewhere familiar. But then her mind snapped back to the present. Kathleen's tone was worried. She wasn't telling Keshka something. Kathleen shared everything with her, the closest Keshka had ever come to having a sister. To see her unsure and nervous was wrong.

"Did something happen? Is Father Joram all right?" Keshka looked worried, her mind running through the worst case scenarios. If illness had hit the town she would have been seperated from her goods, just in case. Were they attacked? Did one of the constructs in the temple wake up while being tinkered with?

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 3 [b]Ref[/b] 5 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +3 [b]BAB[/b] 1 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +4 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN
HP 12 / 12 Speed ft Init 3 AC 17
Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)
Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Actions

Edited by athedia (see edit history)

Torch — Temple of Brigh

spacer.png"Oh no no no, he's fine. Actually he's probably one of the only ones keeping everything together while the rest of Torch is going to shit." Kathleen answered quickly to allay her roommate's fears, but still not really explaining the root of the issue.

At this moment you realize there's other acolytes busy making outside, milling from one place to the next doing Brigh knows what.

"Well a week after you left the torch went out on top of Black Hill…" She finally starts to explain, but it seems surreal to even think about what she's saying. "Everybody thought it was just some kind of flare up at first, but well… it's been like, over three weeks now and… well uh… it hasn't come back…"

"Things are getting bad Kesh. People are dumping their garbage on the streets, in the river…" Kathleen's tone begins to betray her worry as she goes into the details, "People are getting sick Kesh."

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Keshka

Keshka just stared at Kathleen for a good minute or two, speechless. The purple flame was one of her earliest memories of Torch. Joram and the other adults at the temple had brought all the new apprentices up to it, explaining why it was the heart of the town. She herself had helped bring new apprentices up on their first visit years later, seeing the same terror and awe in their eyes. She had never forged anything there, she wasn't even allowed to be near the forge at the temple without someone else there. But she had often helped pull the waste carts up the hill and had been there when Kathleen had worked her first skysteel. Sometimes when she was in the plains she could see the flare cutting through the sky and it would comfort her.

"Has no-one tried to restart it? No-one looking for why?" Keshka realized her questions were probably not helping Kathleen, who had not just been dealing with this for the past few weeks but had spent the last few days not knowing if she would wake up. "I should have been here. I'm sorry Kat. Please, how can I help?"

Statblock

Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)

Text

Hide this

Actions

Torch — Temple of Brigh

spacer.png"Father had been meeting with some of the other council members late into the nights about that." Kathleen continued to explain, telling her what she knows, "I overheard them saying actually that several groups had made expeditions down underneath the caves, but none of them had been successful so far…"

"I don't know. I hear Councillor Baine even went down with a group himself, they came back up the first time with some metal wreck, but he's not been seen since they went back down for a second expedition." The young woman seemed obviously worried as she relays this part of the town's recent events, but nonetheless continues, "Just today his daughter Val brought some people down to try to find him, but they ended up bringing back Parda Garr's body instead…"

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Keshka

"The kid? Surely she isn't old enough..." Keshka trailed off realizing that yes, she probably was old enough now. And if not, well recovering the dead was never a pleasant task. "Look, Kat. I am no good at treating the sick or repairing things or even keeping people calm. But wrecks and strange places, that I know. I can help."

She reached back into her bag and grabbed a handful of the silverdisks, handing them to Kat. "You should be able to get some more supplies, keep stuff together." She put her pack back on and made sure she had everything else with her. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Just need to figure out where to find the kid and whoever she managed to round up."

Statblock

Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)

Text

Hide this

Actions

Giving 5 of the silverdisks to Kat.

image.png

Torch — Temple of Brigh

spacer.png"You can't! Look at you, you're still all…" Kathleen began to protest, but trailed off quick enough as she knew full damn well you wouldn't listen anyway.

At length she conceded, "Just, be careful out there Kesh."

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Keshka

"Always am." Keshka responded with the same obvious lie she always did. Kathleen was used to it by now, that Keshka would get moving again as soon as she was able. Keeping busy kept the nightmares away. Keshka left, going to look for the kid or anyone else looking for a hand below.

Statblock

Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)

Text

Hide this

Actions