Chapter 1: Orientation

hoverfrog

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanHaving arrived throughout the day, heavy rains soaking your clothes and hair, and leaving you drenched you are shown to the Spire Dormatory and bidden to wait in the halls for Teacher Ot.

Other students flit in and out of their rooms or passing through on their way to lessons. They're an eclectic group, a miniature kobold, a dwarf, humans, and others. Most pay you little attention though a few nod in passing.

It isn't long before Teacher Ot arrives.

The teacher speaks with a gentle, soothing timbre. "Welcome, and a kind hello, new students. It is my pleasure to instruct you. You may call me Teacher Ot. You are embarking now on a life of study and service. We see within you intellect, passion, and judgment—in short, the virtues to build upon the strengths of the thousands who have come before you. We follow the footsteps of Old-Mage Jatembe, who showed us that the price of magic is the responsibility to better the world."

"Please, introduce yourselves. Tell me something about your interests. What would you consider your greatest strengths?" he pauses to smile reassuringly, "Forgive the nature of these questions but I would like to know you better to help to guide you on your journey to growing strong in magic."

"What work have you done to bolster those in and around the Magaambya before now? What is it that you seek from Magaambya? Once you have attained that which you seek, what goals do you wish to achieve?"

OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map. When there is please refer to the active map spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

. .

. .

Show Active Map

Map goes here

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

Marica
spacer.png

Elf (Duskwalker)• Undertaker • Investigator (Alchemical Investigator) 1
Medium • Lawful Good • Humanoid

AC: 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4 Ref +8 Will +5 | Resistance: None | Speed 25 feet | Class DC 17

Marica looks at herself in mild annoyance while waiting for the teacher to arrive. Besides this, she'd pawned close to all her clothes, and for the rains to have soaked them so thoroughly seemed like the end of the long string of bad luck she'd experienced. Hopefully to end here, at this academy, but you could never tell.

Ah, the teacher had arrived and had begun to give instruction, as well as a series of questions to answer. Seeing no one else, she decides to start.

"Hello everyone, I am Marica, formerly an Undertaker from Ustalav before my house burned down after some...unfortunate business with the Von Grief family involving their dearly departed. I must confess I am recently arrived in Magaambya, and have not yet had much opportunity to help out the local community. In my old one, I helped the dearly departed, both in being interred and staying interred, although I must again confess that latter part sometimes did not work out for the best. I've come to Magaambya in an attempt to pursue a new opportunity, one I hope can lead to me helping communities in a way I might be more successful at."

Actions:

image.png.3f252e39801503d7f69609617a19bb9a.png

Kraawkaw

Kraawkaw Cloistered Cleric of Nethys 1

LN
Medium
Tengu
Skyborn Tengu
Humanoid

Perception +6; Low-Light Vision
Languages Draconic, Sylvan
Skills Acrobatics +2, Arcana +5, Athletics +0, Diplomacy +5, Intimidation +5, Lore: Academia +5, Lore: Lore (Magaambya) +5, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Stealth +5
Str +0, Dex +2, Con +0, Int +2, Wis +3, Cha +2
Items Unarmored, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (2), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Antidote (Lesser), Antiplague (Lesser), Healer's Tools, Writing Set, Religious Symbol (Ceramic)

AC 15; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +8
HP 14
Squawk! action_reaction_black.pngTrigger You critically fail a Deception, Diplomacy, or Intimidation check against a creature that doesn't have the tengu trait. You let out an awkward squawk, ruffle your feathers, or fake some other birdlike tic to cover up a social misstep or faux pas. You get a failure on the triggering check, rather than a critical failure. All creatures that witnessed you Squawk are temporarily immune for 24 hours.

Speed 25 feet
Antidote (Lesser) action_single_black.png (Alchemical, Consumable, Elixir, Healing) Activate Interact
Antiplague (Lesser) action_single_black.png (Alchemical, Consumable, Elixir, Healing) Activate Interact
Divine Prepared Spells DC 16, attack +6; 1st Heal, Heal, Heal; Cantrips
Divine Prepared Spells DC 16, attack +6; 1st Magic Missile, Fear; Cantrips Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Needle Darts, Shield
Focus Spells (1 points) Scholarly Recollection action_reaction_black.pngSpeaking a short prayer as you gather your thoughts, you're blessed to find that your deity gave you just the right bit of information for your situation. Roll the triggering check twice and use the better result.
Additional Feats Assurance, Domain Initiate, Skyborn Tengu
Additional Specials Anathema, Deity, Divine Font (Healing Font), Divine Spellcasting, Doctrine (Cloistered Cleric), Domain Initiate (Knowledge), Sharp Beak

Skyborn TenguYour bones may be especially light, you may be a rare tengu with wings, or your connection to the spirits of wind and sky might be stronger than most, slowing your descent through the air. You take no damage from falling, regardless of the distance you fall.; Scholar (Arcana)You have a knack for learning, and sequestered yourself from the outside world to learn all you could. You read about so many wondrous places and things in your books, and always dreamed about one day seeing the real things. Eventually, that curiosity led you to leave your studies and become an adventurer.

Choose two ability boosts. One must be to Intelligence or Wisdom, and one is a free ability boost.

You’re trained in your choice of the Arcana, Nature, Occultism, or Religion skill, and the Academia Lore skill. You gain the Assurance skill feat in your chosen skill.
; Cloistered Cleric of Nethys (1)

Magaambya Branch: TBD (Primary) TBD (Secondary)

HP: 14/14 AC: 15 (16): Explorer's ClothingEssentially Kraawkaw's habit as a Priest of Nethys

White (really flax) tunic
Leather cincture
Black mantle

Holy Symbol: a ceramic mosaic of the Face of Nethys. It is held by a chain, secured to the cincture.
(shield spell
)
 | Speed: 25' | Low-Light VisionA creature with low-light vision can see in dim light as though it were bright light, so it ignores the concealed condition due to dim light.

| Lang: Mwangi (Common); Tengu; Draconic; Sylvan | Hero Pts: 1

Perception (T): +6  Init: +6 | Fort (T): +3 | Ref (T): +5| Will (E): +8 |

| SkillsTrained:
Arcana (+5); Diplomacy (+5); Intimidation (+5); Lore/Academia (+5); Lore/Magaambya (+5); Medicine (+5); Religion (+6); Stealth (+5);

Untrained:
Acrobatics (+2); Athletics (+0); Crafting (+0); Deception (+2); Nature (+3); Occultism (+2); Performance (+2); Society (+2); Survival (+3); Thievery (+2)
 | AttributesSTR +0
DEX +2
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +2
 | AttacksUnarmed:

Sharp Beak +5/+0/-5 • Trained +3 • Dex +2 • Item 0 • Damage 1d6 P • Finesse; Unarmed; Brawling

Melee:

Ranged:
 | Divine DC (ATK):
16 (+6) | Focus Points 1/1|

The journey up the Vanji River from the Shackles to Nantambu had taken a few rain-soaked days. The wet itself wasn't terribly disorienting - his species had the advantage over many in being protected by their flightless feathers: a good ruffling at the entryway had warmed him, though his clothes, of course, were still damp.

No, it wasn't the wet he thought to himself as he removed his pack to make himself somewhat more comfortable. He noted many of the others, mostly taller than himself and mammalian, presumably new students like himself, doing likewise. No, it was simply that his species had never lost the sense of flock identity and being prey animals: and he was far now from his own 'flock.' Perhaps in time, he hoped, I shall come to find the Magaambya and its inhabitants a new place of belonging.

What truly set Kraawkaw apart, however. was what his clothing proclaimed him to be: his flax colored tunic and black capus and cappa, not to mention the black/white faced mosaic image of the god's masked face as a sacred image of power, immediately announced him a newly ordained priest of Nethys, the enigmatic (some might say 'mad') god of magic. Such a one here, where few had been welcomed previously, at what his church would think of as one of the most prestigious secular schools of magic, was certainly unsettling.

I am here to be a student, he reminded himself ... again. I am here to study; to learn; to share; and to be a witness for my church and faith.

As Teacher Ot addressed the assembled new students, he observed a female ... elf ... Kraawkaw wasn't entirely sure ... she appeared as an elf, but her complexion was the color of a dark bluebird's egg (which is how he tended to think of colors) ... speak up for herself. Well, he thought, looking around, the group was nothing if not eclectic.

After Marica (as she named herself) finished her introduction, Kraawkaw steeled himself to follow.

I am known as Kraawkaw -- a Tengu from the Shackles to the west. I am a junior professed priest of Nethys, here at the sponsorship of my Church to join this Academy, to learn; to grow and to commune with the weaves of magic in keeping with the Edict of the All-Seeing Eye. And, perhaps, to seek greater unity between the Divine and the Arcane realms. I am grateful and honored for the opportunity to be here.

He probably sounded a bit stiff and pompous, but this was due to the burden of representing not only himself and his flock, but the Church of Nethys. Fortunately, he physiologically couldn't blush, but those with discernment who watched and listened could realize that the young bird (Tengu thought of themselves as birds) was sincere.

OOC

K is about 4-1/2' tall and very light in weight (though this might not be immediately apparent). His head and facial feathers are white and black in a sort of Harlequin pattern (like a Chickadee). His beak resembles that of a crow. His religious habit (serves as Adventurer's Clothing) is described above. His holy symbol of Nethys is a mosaic ceramic disk of the face of Nethys: this suspends from a chain attached to a sturdy leather belt where it is simple to grab (Interact).

ACTIONS

Edited by Vedast
change text color (see edit history)

image.jpeg.eae06d0ad6a715deb0d7a4c603797777.jpeg

Olis Saren

Elf (Tiefling), Field medic, Champion of Sarenrae (1)

HP: 17/17 AC: 18 (20 shield) | Speed: 30' | Low-Light Vision | DarkvisionYou can see in darkness and dim light just as well as you can see in bright light, though your vision in darkness is in black and white.

| Lang: Common (Mwangi), Taldane; elven|

Perception (T): +4  Init: +4 | Fort (E): +6 | Ref (T): +4| Will (E): +6 |

| Skills | Attributes | Attacks | Reactionsshield block
Glimpse of Redemption

| Divine DC (ATK):
14 (+4) | SpellsDetect Magic (innate)
Lay on Hands (Focus)
Weapon Surge (Focus)

|Hero Pts: 1 | Focus Pool: 1/1

Olis still wasn't sure why she was here, except to learn magic. She certainly wasn't the most studious of people at the church of Sarenrea, even though she had spend quite a few hours in the library when she was younger. These days she spend more time on the practice field. Maybe they just wanted to get rid of her and decided that from now on she was the Academy's problem.

The rain also hadn't helped. One disadvantage of chainmail was that it was nothing more than a collection of holes knitted together, at least as far as the weather was concerned. The gambeson she wore underneath was soaked and those garments were really a bitch to dry out. She made a mental note to see if there was a service around here to help with that.

As she looked around at the other students she did notice she wasn't the only one with a strange heritage. Marice, who spoke first, didn't look like any elf she had seen before. So maybe she wouldn't look as out of place as she had thought. Then again, she was by far the most armoured and armed of all the new students. Everybody had some sort of weapon as the journey here had its perils, but she was the only one with a shield and metal armour, even if it was only a collection of holes knitted together.

"My name is Olis Saren, and I'm a champion of Sarenrae. I'm send here by my church to learn more magic to help in the fight against evil. I also have a personal interest in finding out more about my unusual heritage."

OOC

The first thing that people notice is her horns and then her yellow-gold eyes.  The rest of her is a tall, lithe, elven beauty.
She wears her hair long, although most often in a ponytail to avoid it getting in her eyes.  She also had her ears pierced multiple times.
She wears sturdy clothing and chainmail armour. She also has a shield on her back with the symbol of Sarenrae on.

ACTIONS

Edited by farothel (see edit history)

image.png.127f157c1d5a6192ada5f6db612e4aa3.png

1f3630bd3055de1a9317919ed569c0f3.jpg

Caeliria - Witch 1

Perception +4; Low-Light Vision

Languages Common (Mwangi), Taldane, Draconic, Elven, Xanmba, Garundi

Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +0, Crafting +7, Deception +5, Diplomacy +5, Intimidation +5, Lore: Dragon +7, Nature +4, Occultism +7, Religion +4, Society +7, Stealth +5

Str +0, Dex +2, Con +0, Int +4, Wis +1, Cha +2

AC 15; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +6
HP 14/14

Speed 25 feet

Stat Block

Caeliria - Witch 1

CN, Medium, Human, Half-Elf, Humanoid

Perception +4; Low-Light Vision
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Mwangi, Garundi, Sylvan
Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +0, Crafting +7, Deception +5, Diplomacy +5, Intimidation +5, Lore: Dragon +7, Nature +4, Occultism +7, Religion +4, Society +7, Stealth +5
Str +0, Dex +2, Con +0, Int +4, Wis +1, Cha +2
Items Explorer's Clothing, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (2), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Sling Bullets (20), Material Component Pouch, Healing Potion (Minor) (2)

AC 15; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +6
HP 14

Speed 25 feet
Melee Sickle +5 (Agile, Finesse, Trip), Damage 1d4 S
Melee Staff +3 (Two-Hand d8), Damage 1d4 B
Ranged Sling +5 (Propulsive), Damage 1d6 B
Occult Prepared Spells DC 17, attack +7; 1st Command, Magic Missile; Cantrips GuidanceCantrip, Divination
Cast verbal
Range 30 feet; Targets 1 creature
Duration until the start of your next turn
You ask for divine guidance, granting the target a +1 status bonus to one attack roll, Perception check, saving throw, or skill check the target attempts before the duration ends. The target chooses which roll to use the bonus on before rolling. If the target uses the bonus, the spell ends. Either way, the target is then temporarily immune for 1 hour.
CRB

action_single.png?v=dm-1, Needle DartsAttack, Cantrip, Concentrate, Manipulate, Metal
Range 60 feet; Targets 1 creature
Defense AC

You shape needles out of a piece of metal in your possession and send them flying in a tight group toward one target. Make a spell attack roll against your target's AC. The needles deal 3d4 piercing damage and might cause bleeding. The needles impart any special properties of the metal that forms them; for instance, cold iron needles deal additional damage to creatures with weakness to cold iron. All the needles are made of the same metal, and the metal returns to you after the attack.
Critical Success The target takes double damage and 1 persistent bleed damage.
Success The target takes full damage.
Heightened (+1) You send one additional needle, increasing the regular damage by 1d4 and increasing the persistent bleed damage on a critical hit by 1.
RoE
action_double.png?v=dm-1, Shield, Prestidigitation, Warp Step
Focus Spells (1 points) Evil EyeRange 30 feet; Targets 1 creature Saving Throw Will; Duration sustained up to 1 minute Your fix your eye on the target, imposing a malevolent hex. The target becomes frightened based on the results of its Will save. This condition value can't be reduced below 1 while the spell is active and you can see the target. Regardless of the outcome, the target is then temporarily immune for 1 minute.
Success The target is unaffected.
Failure The target is frightened 1.
Critical Failure The target is frightened 2.
 action_single.png, Phase FamiliarRange 60 feet; Targets your familiar You draw upon your patron's power to momentarily shift your familiar from its solid, physical form into an ephemeral version of itself shaped of mist. Your familiar gains resistance 5 to all damage and is immune to precision damage. These apply only against the triggering damage. Heightened (+1) Increase the resistance by 2. action_reaction.png
Additional Feats Cauldron, Half-Elf, Skill Training
Additional Specials Familiar, Hexes, Patron (Curse), Skill Training (Intimidation), Witch Spellcasting

Accar -  Familar 1

N, Tiny, Minion, Familiar

Perception +5; Darkvision
Languages None selected

Skills Acrobatics +5, Stealth +5, All other skills +1

Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0

Items Unarmored

AC 15; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +6
HP 5/5
Speed 25 feet

Familiar Abilities: Threat Display, Independent , Flier, The Familiar of Ongoing MiseryDarkvision

Caeliria grimaced slightly as Accar shook and ruffled himself on her shoulder sending a spray of water across her left cheek and neck. She studied each of the other new students critically, it was likely she would need to spend a great deal of time with them and she wanted to be aware which of them thought they might be better than the others. Her particularly.

Teacher Ot seemed well-meaning enough. It was easy to seem so. One's actions in uplifting the oppressed was where the judgement should come on one's intent. She would hold her judgement there. The expectation of service her at the Mgaambya caught her off guard. Of course she would do her part so long as it wasn't just to aid the privleged becoming more so. That she couldn't abide.

When it was her turn to speak she stepped forward and gave a short bow to Teacher Ot.

"Greetings all. My name is Caeliria. As you can see I am a native from these lands but have spent sometime... abroad. My strength is in my passion for justice and fair treatment for all. My magic comes from my bond with Accar here."

The owl on her left shoulder gave a bob to all present of his head, the body covered in green, rune-inscribed, feathers staying motionless.

"I've yet to apply myself in Mgaambya, but I see much need for justice and change here in Nantambu. In most settlements. My goal is to learn and equip myself for the important work of freeing the oppressed and creating a more inclusive, diverse and equitable society. A more scholarly approach to the use of magic will supplement my natural talents through my bond with Accar."

She stepped back. That was enough for now. Her intentions were clear and could not be questioned. She would have people know her capabilities and virtues if they had to be reminded daily.

Actions / OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Reaction:

Exploration Mode: Investigation

Edited by allefgib (see edit history)

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot accepts your answers with a warm smile, "This is good. Some of you have travelled a long way and learned skills before coming to Magaambya and, of course, you had lives before you became students. Do not think that your lack of magical skill will impede you in a school of magic too much." He chuckles at his little joke, "You are here to learn, after all. Where you start is not important as long as you start. No preference is given for experience, you will need to unlearn many things before you can learn new things."

He takes a few strides to the spire that stands to the right, as you face south into the common room, of the northern entrance to the dormitory. He takes a bead from his robe and throws it gently into the air where is soars up, past the top of the spire and then drifts down. "There is magic everywhere, some less obvious than this."

He peers around at the four of you and then around, "Is there another here? I don't want to repeat myself." He turns round in a circle, looking in every direction.

OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map. When there is please refer to the active map spoiler below.
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

N’dembe Caeliria

Olis Kraawkaw

Marica  

Show Active Map

Map goes here

Kraawkaw

LN
Medium
Tengu
Skyborn Tengu
Humanoid

Skills Acrobatics +2, Arcana +5, Athletics +0, Diplomacy +5, Intimidation +5, Lore: Academia +5, Lore: Lore (Magaambya) +5, Medicine +6, Religion +6, Stealth +5
Items Unarmored, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (2), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Antidote (Lesser), Antiplague (Lesser), Healer's Tools, Writing Set, Religious Symbol (Ceramic)

HP 14
Squawk! action_reaction_black.pngTrigger You critically fail a Deception, Diplomacy, or Intimidation check against a creature that doesn't have the tengu trait. You let out an awkward squawk, ruffle your feathers, or fake some other birdlike tic to cover up a social misstep or faux pas. You get a failure on the triggering check, rather than a critical failure. All creatures that witnessed you Squawk are temporarily immune for 24 hours.

Speed 25 feet
Antidote (Lesser) action_single_black.png (Alchemical, Consumable, Elixir, Healing) Activate Interact
Antiplague (Lesser) action_single_black.png (Alchemical, Consumable, Elixir, Healing) Activate Interact
Divine Prepared Spells DC 16, attack +6; 1st Magic Missile, Fear; Cantrips Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Needle Darts, Shield
Focus Spells (1 points) Scholarly Recollection action_reaction_black.pngSpeaking a short prayer as you gather your thoughts, you're blessed to find that your deity gave you just the right bit of information for your situation. Roll the triggering check twice and use the better result.
Additional Specials Anathema, Deity, Divine Font (Healing Font), Divine Spellcasting, Doctrine (Cloistered Cleric), Domain Initiate (Knowledge), Sharp Beak

Skyborn TenguYour bones may be especially light, you may be a rare tengu with wings, or your connection to the spirits of wind and sky might be stronger than most, slowing your descent through the air. You take no damage from falling, regardless of the distance you fall.; Scholar (Arcana)You have a knack for learning, and sequestered yourself from the outside world to learn all you could. You read about so many wondrous places and things in your books, and always dreamed about one day seeing the real things. Eventually, that curiosity led you to leave your studies and become an adventurer.

Choose two ability boosts. One must be to Intelligence or Wisdom, and one is a free ability boost.

You’re trained in your choice of the Arcana, Nature, Occultism, or Religion skill, and the Academia Lore skill. You gain the Assurance skill feat in your chosen skill.

HP: 14/14 AC: 15 (16): Explorer's ClothingEssentially Kraawkaw's habit as a Priest of Nethys

Leather cincture
Black mantle

Holy Symbol: a ceramic mosaic of the Face of Nethys. It is held by a chain, secured to the cincture.
(shield spell
)
 | Speed: 25' | Low-Light VisionA creature with low-light vision can see in dim light as though it were bright light, so it ignores the concealed condition due to dim light.

| SkillsTrained:
Arcana (+5); Diplomacy (+5); Intimidation (+5); Lore/Academia (+5); Lore/Magaambya (+5); Medicine (+5); Religion (+6); Stealth (+5);

Untrained:
Acrobatics (+2); Athletics (+0); Crafting (+0); Deception (+2); Nature (+3); Occultism (+2); Performance (+2); Society (+2); Survival (+3); Thievery (+2)
 | AttributesSTR +0
DEX +2
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +2
 | AttacksUnarmed:

Sharp Beak +5/+0/-5 • Trained +3 • Dex +2 • Item 0 • Damage 1d6 P • Finesse; Unarmed; Brawling

Melee:

Ranged:
 | Divine DC (ATK):

The Tengu watched the bauble ascend and descend. I wonder what the weight limit might be, he pondered to himself. That might make a fine way to ascend to a perch! He suddenly realized that he might have spoken out loud. With some embarrassment, he ruffled his feathers uttering a low squawk!

He looked around for a likely beam or couch or sill: whilst the feet of the Tengu had evolved to be compliant with bipedal movement, Kraawkaw felt more comfortable with his toes gripping a tree limb or similar object. This led him to think about beds. He could lay horizontal to sleep, but many tengu preferred to perch vertically upon a beam or log to rest for the night, lifting one leg up under their torso.

He didn't want to make a fuss or prove difficult, so he'd wait for a time to note what accommodations might be offered.

OOC

K is about 4-1/2' tall and very light in weight (though this might not be immediately apparent). His head and facial feathers are white and black in a sort of Harlequin pattern (like a Chickadee). His beak resembles that of a crow. His religious habit (serves as Adventurer's Clothing) is described above. His holy symbol of Nethys is a mosaic ceramic disk of the face of Nethys: this suspends from a chain attached to a sturdy leather belt where it is simple to grab (Interact).

ACTIONS

Olis Saren

HP: 17/17 AC: 18 (20 shield) | Speed: 30' | Low-Light Vision | Darkvision

| Skills | Attributes | Attacks | Reactions
| Divine DC (ATK):
14 (+4) | Spells

Olis looked around as well. She wasn't sure if she would ever catch up, although she had some magic already, it was some minor things. Well, the healing magic was handy at times. Anyway, if there was a spot to learn magic, it was here. She did wonder why the teacher asked if there was someone else. She hadn't really paid attention at their numbers.

"Excuse me, sir," she asked, "Will there also be physical exercise? I want to learn magic, but I also would like to keep in shape. Magic is useful, but sometimes it's easier just to whack something on the head."

OOC

The first thing that people notice is her horns and then her yellow-gold eyes.  The rest of her is a tall, lithe, elven beauty.
She wears her hair long, although most often in a ponytail to avoid it getting in her eyes.  She also had her ears pierced multiple times.
She wears sturdy clothing and chainmail armour. She also has a shield on her back with the symbol of Sarenrae on.

ACTIONS

NdembeOwaluv3.jpg.bd9400134932c18fa5541a939e84f94b.jpgN'dembe Odwalu - Scholar Human Wizard Character Sheet

AC: 16/16 | HP: 15/15 | Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6

As the little group ponders the smiling teacher’s questions and (apparent) challenge, a pile of books slowly makes its way towards the impromptu class. They came from the opposite end of the hallway of the magnificently adorned Spire Dormitory. They were not exactly floating, though – upon second glance a pair of legs with sandaled feet seem to be their mode of conveyance. As the hefty tomes approach, the students could hear… whistling?

It was a jaunty little tune, perhaps a tad off-key, but honest and sincere and kindhearted.

Suddenly the books stop! “Oh, my!” the newcomers hear… and the manuscripts and scrolls fly all over the wooden floor and furniture, narrowly missing everybody in the immediate area.

“Awk! Squawk! Man down! Man down! Clear the deck, m’hearties! Squawk!” A raven croaks loudly as it flies around the hallway for a bit in a flurry of ebon feathers, then settles down onto a chandelier.

Down below on the ground is now revealed a young man, a teenage male dressed in fine, completely dry clothes steeped in autumnal colors. He was not unhandsome (for a human). On his hands and knees, the beardless youth looks up at the surprised assemblage and smiles broadly as he deftly and neatly recovers his unintended missiles from all over the area. Some of the hefty tomes piling up in his collection are Archives of Nethys (vol. XIV), Ancient Myths and Mysteries, Oracles: A Discourse on Divine Divination, A Bestiary of Fabulous Flora & Fauna, and The Extraordinary History of the Magaambya.

“My apologies, gentle sentients, for my inopportune inelegance. I assure you that it was never my intention to cause harm or injury to anyone here at this extraordinary establishment of esoteric enlightenment. No, no. I was just making my way back from Archhorn Library with some light reading material in preparation for our first day of orientation.

“Did you know that they have two libraries here on the arcane arts? Truly fascinating is it not?

“In any event, this was first my trip there – well, I guess what just happened here was my second “trip”, as it were. Heh-heh-heh. Oh, but I digress. As I was saying… did I introduce myself? No? My apologies yet again. Where are my manners? I am N’dembe Odwalu of Senghor, and that is Rafiki, my familiar.” The lad happily points up towards the ceiling to the raven, who was eyeing the scene attentively. “I am an apprentice wizard newly welcomed to the halls of this incredible institution of indoctrination, just like yourselves, I imagine. Anyway, my parents are Azadi and Salila Odwalu, who are moderately successful traders in the import/export business. Perhaps you have heard of them? No. Well, that is neither here nor there, I suppose….

“Now where was I? Oh, yes. Well, it has always been my dream, nay, my obsession, my raison d'être, if you will, to learn anything and everything I could find about magic – whether it be arcane, divine, occult, or primal – and master its subtle complexities. And whatever I learn, I hope to impart to others with precision, clarity and conciseness. Much like you, Teacher Ot, and the rest of this foundation’s fabulous faculty. Is that not a laudable ambition?

The youth then notices everybody staring at him, so he suddenly switches gears.

“Ahem. By the way, pray continue, Master. You were saying, Teacher Ot?” N’dembe winsomely beams.

Mechanics

Main Hand: n/a
Off Hand: n/a

Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

Marica
spacer.png

Elf (Duskwalker)• Undertaker • Investigator (Alchemical Investigator) 1
Medium • Lawful Good • Humanoid

AC: 17 | HP 15/15 | Fort +4 Ref +8 Will +5 | Resistance: None | Speed 25 feet | Class DC 17

Ah, good. Marica had been wondering if her lack of current magic would mean a rejection. Good to know that was not the case. "I do agree on the case of physical exercise since I imagine the school would not appreciate my normal methods of exercise." It wasn't polite to practice one's digging on property that wasn't yours. Especially in the form of graves, which tended to put people off.

Actions:

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot pauses while the excitable youth gets himself in order, "Thank you. Yes, you'll find plenty of physical exercise. We have something called a Perquisite, a period of public service. Your fellow students, those who have been here longer, manage that. I'm sure they'll have you running all over Magaambya on various tasks."

"For now, I would like to show you round the campus and ask you to perform some small tests for me as we go."

"This is the dormitory, where you will be spending a lot of your time. You'll meet the other students after you've moved in properly, if you haven't already," he strides up the steps and through the north facing doors. Immediately inside the entrance are couches on either side of an intricate tiled mosaic floor. This is clearly a common room for residents of the dormitory to hang out in and where most of you have been waiting for the teacher.

On the right, just after you enter a male catfolk exits his room (A8), stopping to turn and lock his door. He nods at the teacher and the group, giving Kraawkaw a hungry look in passing.

image.png.4a52b0ab5a4bec216eed407fbbb6d4c7.png"New blood, eh, Teacher Ot?" he asks, scratching at one ear.

"I am Chizire," he slides past, offering a bow to each of you, "Ladies, amurrun." This last greeting is a catfolk word his species. Chizire's fur is neat, as is common among catfolk but his clothing is scruffy and unkempt and on the cheap side. He wears a long string of beads that hands down to his belly, all of different colours and shapes. He also has a distinct smell of raw alcohol about him though he doesn't appear drunk at all. There is something of a slouch in his posture too, as if he is simply too lazy to stand up straight.

"I can't stop. I have a lesson to get to. Pleased to meet you all. I'm sure we'll have a chat later." with that he heads out the other exit to the south and walks lazily away.

"Your rooms are there," Teacher Ot indicated the doors to his left as he reaches the central corridor, "and there. Please choose one each." There are six rooms (A14A-F) to choose from, some with windows, some without, all of differing sizes. Each is neatly made made up but sparsely decorated, ready for someone to move into it. Upon each bed, the heroes find a scrap of yellow cloth folded around a sunburst‑shaped glass bead to add to the string of beads they wear as initiates.

"Yes, the beads," he adds as an afterthought, "Do you wear beads normally? Please add the bead to your necklace to show you are a student. You'll no doubt gather more in your time here."

While you deposit your belongings in the room of your choosing he has set up a row of candles on the floor of the corridor, "There is no time to waste though. I have your first test. Listen carefully."

"Can you light a candle without flint or matches?" He steps back to see how each of your perform.

OOC Scene Notes

There is a map in the spoiler below

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

N’dembe Caeliria

Olis Kraawkaw

Marica  

Show Active Map

image.png.8823c286654df6d9d2fc346676fc1132.png 

Kraawkaw

LN
Medium
Tengu
Skyborn Tengu
Humanoid

HP 14

Speed 25 feet

Leather cincture
Black mantle

(shield spell
)

| SkillsTrained:

Untrained:
 | AttributesSTR +0
DEX +2
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +2
 | AttacksUnarmed:

Melee:

Ranged:
 | Divine DC (ATK):

"New blood, eh, Teacher Ot?" 

Ah. Some fine fur to stuff my comforter, countered Kraawkaw, speaking as though to no one in particular. The tengu made an exaggerated effort, hopefully to comic effect since he couldn't actually smile (having no lips), to eye the catfolk's fur coat in mock appraisal. He just wanted to send a message that he wasn't to be trifled with, not throw down a challenge.

Truth be told, however, though Kraawkaw had encountered many such comments from humans and other carnivorous sentient species -- the Shackles and the pirates who called the area 'home' made for a dangerously challenging environment where weakness was best hidden -- it was still difficult to suppress eons of atavistic fear for a species such as his. So he eyed Chizire, presumably a senior student, warily as the catfolk made his way out. I suppose I should expect an Iruxi or a Nagaji next! Nethys preserve me. The short prayer was half-comic relief, half-serious invocation.

Listen carefully. "Can you light a candle without flint or matches?" 

Kraawkaw pondered this deceptively simple sounding question. He did have the ability to cast Light and, in fact, could access the ability to Illuminate (another divine cantrip) objects such as candles and lanterns about him. Surely, though, most of these others could do likewise, he thought to himself appraising the other four new students with whom, it seemed, he would form a class.

No, the question must mean something else. Let's see ... if I'm lacking the normal resources to light a candle myself ... or maybe Teacher Ot means 'candle' in a figurative way?

Ruffling his feathers a bit as a prelude to speaking, he offered:

Perhaps by seeking out another with a candle already lit? As in illuminating ignorance by instruction? A metaphor for our coming to the Magaambya?

OOC

Not sure about whether we wish to RP the room selection, but I'll roll a d100 here in case we wish to have a random roll off for choice? Order of highest rolls?

Btw, these rooms are huge! Even the small 35' x 30' are over 1000 sqft.

ACTIONS

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)
Name
Percentile for Room Selection?
1d100 77

NdembeOwaluv3.jpg.bd9400134932c18fa5541a939e84f94b.jpgN'dembe Odwalu - Scholar Human Wizard Character Sheet

AC: 16/16 | HP: 15/15 | Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6

The young wizard reflexively holds out his arm as the raven makes a perfect landing onto it.

N'dembe peeks into each of the proffered rooms, thinks to himself for a moment, then turns to Marica, Olis and Caeliria. "Most gracious ladies, in ancient Senghor it is our custom to defer to the womenfolk in such matters. Please select whichever bed-chambers that you find the most accommodating. I shall certainly not stand in your way."

He then turns to the Tengu. "As is also our custom, I shall defer to you, most sagacious priest of Nethys, as well, since I was the last to arrive to our initial gathering. Pray, (heh-heh-heh) make your selection." The gawky teenager politely covers his mouth as he laughs at his own unintended joke. "Ehhh... Forgive my little jest, good cleric. I misspoke in my anxiousness to please. Rafiki and I will happily take whatever is left."

When Teacher Ot delivers his latest challenge, the human brightens. Picking up an unlit candle in one hand, he croons a few inarticulate syllables in a sing-song fashion over it, and then waves his other hand over the wick... which begins to glow softly but steadily. “Ah, a simple Light cantrip should do the trick (heh-heh-heh), don't you think?" Turning slowly to one and all, he shows the "lit" candle and he smiles his electric smile, pleased at his accomplishment. He waits patiently and expectantly for the others to do the same.

Mechanics

Main Hand: n/a
Off Hand: n/a

Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

Olis Saren

HP: 17/17 AC: 18 (20 shield) | Speed: 30' | Low-Light Vision | Darkvision

| Skills | Attributes | Attacks | Reactions
| Divine DC (ATK):
14 (+4) | Spells

Olis checked the orientation of the rooms.

"No east facing ones," she sighed, "Can I have a south facing one with a window? I need to pray to Sarenrae at dawn and it's easier to know when that is with a window."

She wasn't sure about the beads thing, but if that's the rule, then so be it. Maybe she could wear them tightly wrapped around her horns or something like it. It was something to think about later.

Next came the first test. As Olis didn't have any magic to light candles with, she simply did what Kraawkaw mentioned and walked to an already lit candle or torch or something and lit it from there.

"One working candle, although I don't really need one. I can see quite well in the dark. Some higher magic can block that, but it's not common. And anything that blocks my darkvision will block a candle as well I guess."

OOC

I'll take 14D or F if that's okay. Don't really care which one of those.

ACTIONS

Edited by farothel (see edit history)

Kraawkaw

LN
Medium
Tengu
Skyborn Tengu
Humanoid

HP 14

Speed 25 feet

Leather cincture
Black mantle

(shield spell
)

| SkillsTrained:

Untrained:
 | AttributesSTR +0
DEX +2
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +2
 | AttacksUnarmed:

Melee:

Ranged:
 | Divine DC (ATK):

As room assignments are discussed, Kraawkaw notices the fine-framed drawing, attached to the wall at the eastern end of the hallway at A16. His amaze and wonder pushes all thought of the alliterative young punster out of his head.

The Priest of Nethys makes a profound bow to the image of his deity.

Then pondering the inked words, attempt to recallMakes a Recall Knowledge (Religion) check whether he had heard or read of this aphorism. (PS: if needed, will try an Assurance Check with Arcana if the Religion Check fails -- not that the results are too much different).

Looking about, he sees one room that has its doors nearby.

I'll take this one, indicating A14-B, he said.

OOC

A16. ALL-SEEING SOLUTIONS
This well‑rendered drawing of the black‑and‑white mask of Nethys, god of magic, adorns the wall at the end of the hall. The words “All‑Seeing Solutions: Pay in Light, Let the Darkness Show Wisdom!” is inked onto the wall next to the mask.

ACTIONS

1. Recall Knowledge (Religion) regarding the aphorism on the wall.

2. Assurance with Arcana => 10 + 3 = 13. Not great, but better than an 11. :-(

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)
Name
Recall Knowledge (Religion) 
1d20+6 5