Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Character Creation Rules & Questions

yxanthymir

spacer.png

Please follow the guidelines below when creating a character.

1 - Create a new thread with your character name and his mythos name. Example: Jason Burn / Genghis Khan.

2 - Write in your post the character name, age, occupation, hobby, likes and dislikes, backstory and his awakening event.

3 - Add four themes to your character (3 Logos and one Mythos).

4 - Add in each theme 3 power labels: one generic (at least two words) and two specifics.

5 - Add in each theme one weakness.

6 - Also add in each theme a mystery or an identity.

Feel free to ask any relevant question about your character and the setting here.

You can find the free rules here.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

Hmm... well, simple/complex question, where are we? If we're shifting towards the World of Mist rather than a single, soletary City, is the world a bit more defined? Or is every city The City? Should our characters be from a specific real world place or should we still be going with something 'in line' with original City of Mist?

I don't understand the reasoning for this campaign's house rules. For instance, why do conditions max out at +/-1? It seems strange for 'cursed by an entire divine pantheon' to give the same penalty as 'sprained ankle'.

42 minutes ago, Anyr said:

I don't understand the reasoning for this campaign's house rules. For instance, why do conditions max out at +/-1? It seems strange for 'cursed by an entire divine pantheon' to give the same penalty as 'sprained ankle'.

The reason is to keep the numbers low. The game already doesn't make that distinction, a condition is simply a condition. It doesn't matter the source.

58 minutes ago, Inquisitor D said:

Hmm... well, simple/complex question, where are we? If we're shifting towards the World of Mist rather than a single, soletary City, is the world a bit more defined? Or is every city The City? Should our characters be from a specific real world place or should we still be going with something 'in line' with original City of Mist?

I don't want to say too much at this point, but you are probably traveling all over the world. I'll leave that point entirely to player decision. We can focus in one city or travel all over the country or the world.

Starting city is New Dunkirk. But your character can come from anywhere you want.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, yxanthymir said:

The reason is to keep the numbers low. The game already doesn't make that distinction, a condition is simply a condition. It doesn't matter the source.

I still don't understand. Why are low numbers good? Shouldn't a massive hurricane have higher numbers than a light drizzle? Sorry if I'm being too persistent. I just want to be on the same page before making a character.

2 hours ago, Anyr said:

I still don't understand. Why are low numbers good? Shouldn't a massive hurricane have higher numbers than a light drizzle? Sorry if I'm being too persistent. I just want to be on the same page before making a character.

For the fiction, it matters very little.

For the game, it makes that no action will be an immediate success or failure.

If you are having trouble with this concept, this game probably is not for you.

14 minutes ago, yxanthymir said:

For the fiction, it matters very little.

For the game, it makes that no action will be an immediate success or failure.

If you are having trouble with this concept, this game probably is not for you.

Fair enough. It's a shame, since City of Mist games don't happen often. I was really hoping to play it again. But you're right: If I can't wrap my head around the house rules, then I don't belong here.

Hello there! I'm at work so i can't get a copy of the pdf but i had a quick question about mythos. What kind of stuff should we be looking at? Any legendary figure that ever existed? Or is it broader than that like say a videogame or anime character?

I'm just not sure what kind of boundaries to set for myself.