The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

Posted (edited)

No no, we all make tiny errors... heck, you know who this GM is, right? He makes them all the time!!! Go ahead and use a prep spell or ability if you like :)

In preparation, Austin will cast Web in the hall.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

OOC: Copy that (and it makes sense)

image.jpeg.ef608f2c197bcb25a608d90af6c42c90.jpegTwo stinking, rotting creatures round the bend on you and straight into the web that Austin cast in the corridor but are able to bound through it without being slowed in the slightest.

OOC: Holy crumpled ticket stubs, they both saved!

Rot Monsters

A filthy, stinking, rotting horror that looks vaguely like a cross between a goblin and a grizzly bear, with all of the size of a grizzly bear. It moves on all fours, but can stand up the way a bear can.

AC: ? HP: ?

Resistances:

Vulnerabilities:

Attacks

?:

Information

Proficient Dex Save: +3 (but zero dex bonus)

Let's roll initiative as Austin mourns the loss of a second level spell. If you beat 18, you may act. If not, Rotty 1 gets to act before you. I did not roll well for everyone else... so its up to you guys to get in a first strike (though everyone else gets to go before Rotty 2. I didn't roll 'bad', just not good.)

Name
Rot Monster 1 Web Save
1d20+3 20
Rot Monster 2 Web Save
1d20+3 16
Rot Monster 1 Initiative
1d20 18
Rot Monster 2 Initiative
1d20 7

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 92/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben nods briefly to his skinny, younger self and the echo grins only the way a fearless, know-it-all teenage boy can. The echo glides forward to meet the first of the rotting beasts knowing its time to put a hurt on them before they can damage the rest of the party. The warrior wrinkles his nose and says, "Great! A new level of stinky! How wonderful."

Tabletop

Troben rolled initiative previously and got a 24. He will send his echo forward to attack Rot Monster 1. He gets an extra attack due to his dread ambusher ability.

• Attack #1 - hit AC 19 for 17 slashing and 5 fire damage.
  • Attack #2 - hit AC 24 for 18 slashing and 6 fire damage (this should be against Rot Monster 1...sorry about the wrong label)
  • Attack #3 - hit AC 19 for 17 slashing and 2 fire damage.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Rot Monster 1
1d20+13 6
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 4,5,5
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Rot Monster 2
1d20+13 11
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 6,4,6
Flaming greatsword attack #3 vs. Rot Monster 1
1d20+13 6
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 2,5,1,4,2

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 70/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Even though it lasted for a split second, the was a moment when the web held. Eithne could see it plainly. The energy released and sailed into the side of the fetid lump.

Mechanics

Starry Form: 2.8 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 8 rounds

Protection from Evil and Good on Vrod: 4.9 minutes

Eithne fails to get initiative, but she does still get her prepared arrow attack on the closest rot monster. The crit softens my disappointment.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 14
Arrow Attack
1d20+9 20
Radiant Damage (Full Crit!)
1d8+14 3

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.ef608f2c197bcb25a608d90af6c42c90.jpegTroben steps up and sends his Echo out ahead at the terrible creatures and the echo becomes a whirling dervish of blade and flame, cutting into the lead monster as radiant arrows follow in close behind. The creature takes the hits and though massive chunks of its body falls to the ground, it rushes toward the group, completely ignoring what had just happened to it and the echo that had cut so much off of it.

OOC: Damage

Rot Monster 1: 103 (appears at about 1/3 of its life)

Rot Monster 2: 0

For a change, Troben's Echo isn't destroyed... but then, that's an attack that isn't 'wasted' against the Echo. These things rush past the Echo as if they don't even see it (If the echo can make an Opportunity Attack (and I think it can), then it gets one... and I think that the Sentinel feat would apply, stopping it in its tracks.)

Rot Monsters

A filthy, stinking, rotting horror that looks vaguely like a cross between a goblin and a grizzly bear, with all of the size of a grizzly bear. It moves on all fours, but can stand up the way a bear can.

AC: 18 HP: ?

Resistances:

Vulnerabilities: Fire & Radiant

Attacks

?:

Information

I am going to wait to see the results of the Opportunity Attack because that will likely reduce the attacks the Rot Monsters makes against the party to just one Rot Monster.

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 92/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

As the Rot Monster tries to slip by the echo, it spins and slashes at the creature. It rambled faster than it looked and is quickly past the echo.

Tabletop

Yes, opportunity attack with the Sentinel feat, which will stop its movement too.

• Opportunity attack - Miss!

Name
Flaming greatsword opportunity attack vs. Rot Monster 1
1d20+13 3

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.ef608f2c197bcb25a608d90af6c42c90.jpegThe horrible creatures indeed move more quickly than they appear to be capable. Charging into the group, they slam into Troben first, and the second into Baldric who was moving along beside the Knight.

"Hey, not fair! Let me through." Remy shouts as she tries to move up from defending their rear, pushing her way past Tiberion, Austin, and Eithne. Vrod, who was also taking his turn protecting your flank, doesn't seem to notice that the action is going on ahead (he's still pretty lost in his thoughts over his attack on Troben) until Remy shouts and then he tries to move forward too.

The first Rot Monster swings a little early with its first massive clawed paw, but catches the knight with the second.

The second Rot Monster swings at the paladin, catching him with both swings.

Baldric calls upon the power of his god and smites down wrath upon the Rot monster that attacked him while Austin shoot fire from his fingertips, grazing it, and Tiberion pastes it with a Guiding Bolt.

A voice cackles throughout the corridor, "How..." *wheeze* "do you like my..." *big wheeze* "Familiars?"

OOC: Damage

Rot Monster 1: 95 (appears at about 1/3 of its life)

Rot Monster 2: 61 (Advantage against it for the next attack)

Troben suffers 7 damage from the claws and 8 more Necrotic damage. He also needs to make a save against being Infected (Poisoned), a DC 13 CON Save.

Rot Monsters

AC: 18 HP: ?

Resistances:

Vulnerabilities: Fire & Radiant

Attacks

2x Claws: +10, 1d6+4 slashing damage plus 2d6 necrotic damage. As well, a DC 13 CON save to resist being Poisoned. Finally, the Necrotic damage returns as strange fumes to the Rot Monster and heals it an equal amount.

Information

Just a Save from Troben (DC 13 Con vs Poison)

Troben's Echo is still active

Aaaand you guys are up!

Name
Rot Monster 1 first attack on Troben
1d20+10 8
Rot Monster 1 second attack on Troben
1d20+10 15
Claw on Troben (slashing)
1d6+4 3
Infection on Troben (Necrotic)
2d6 4,4

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 94/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 0/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben winces slightly as the razor-sharp claw of the rot monster carves into the joint of his armor at the shoulder. He can feel its poisonous touch trying to infect him, but the echo knight has trained his body with lots of hard drinking nights and now has a belt that makes him even more hard core. He laughs at the poison and says, "Nice try, wheezy. And yes...I'm...familiar with them. They suck, just like you do. They are going to die badly, just like, you piece of filth. What's wrong? Have to send your play things? Can't face us yourself? Weak sauce, wheezy. Weak sauce. You won't soon forget the day you tangled with Troben the Ragler and his merry band of mighty minions!"

He decides not to think too much about how his echo is the same thing because he's a big damn hero. Troben buckles down and tries to back up his smack talk. He hacks at it twice causing chunks of its body to fall away. It's so thick though, it's hard to really tell if he's making much progress! Taking a deep breath, he feels invigorated and ready to take on these baddies!

Tabletop

Let's start with that Constitution saving throw: Success!

He decides to leave the echo where it is for now. He will focus on the same Rot Monster 1 and look to kill it.

• Attack #1 - hits for 12 slashing and 3 fire damage (I didn't even know he could roll that low!)
  • Attack #2 - hits for 14 slashing and 6 fire damage.

As a bonus action, he uses his second wind to heal: 17 healed. Nice!

Total damage: 26 slashing and 9 fire (doubled to 18) = 44 damage

Name
Constitution saving throw (DC 13, advantage)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+7 7,3
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Rot Monster 1
1d20+13 5
Slashing / fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 2,1,2,2,2,3
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Rot Monster 1
1d20+13 7
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 5,2,6,1
Second wind
1d10+8 9

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png

In the midst of Mourn's haggard laughter and Troben's jabs, Eithne retreated deep within her astral form. A newborn star was there. It's violent quickening consumed the nebula that had cradled all its potential for eons. She channeled some of its birthing tantrum all the way back to the battlefield.

One of the rot monsters was vulnerable and she channeled the radiant fury right into its back. Fully aware of the other familiar's tenuous hold on life, she managed to divert some of this power towards it to. The effort left the tender a little drained, but it was a far sight better then what awaited the rot monsters as the petered out.

Mechanics

Starry Form: 2.7 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 7 rounds

Protection from Evil and Good on Vrod: 4.8 minutes

Eithne will use her arrow attack on number one and a guiding bolt cast at 3rd level on number 2.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Arrow Attack (Rot #1)
1d20+9 12
Radiant Damage
1d8+6 4
3rd Lv. Guiding Bolt (Rot #2)
1d20+9 10
Advantage
1d20+9 13
Radiant Damage
6d6 5,5,3,4,3,4

Posted (edited)

Troben unleashes 'hell' on the first Rot Monster but it somehow clings to life, or whatever one would call 'life' one one of those creatures. But it cannot withstand the additional radiant bolt from Eithne and it falls to the ground, dead. She simultaneously unleashes more radiant bolts, a miracle from the universe that she serves which thunder into the terrible second creature. Taking advantage of the way the beast reels from the guiding bolts, Baldric lowers the hammer (so to speak... he uses a big arse sword)... but still the thing doesn't fall. Vrod and Remy continue to try to push their way forward, with Remy trying to take advantage of the length of the Dragon Lance and jabs at the beast awkwardly, missing with both attempts (I gave her disadvantage). Tiberion calls down holy fire on the creature and nearly kills it as a simple Fire Bolt from Austin finally fells it.

"Good, good..." Wheeze, "Come to me..." More wheezing, "Now. I am..." And again... "Ready."

"We be walkin' inta a trap, yup." The dwarf says.

"most assuredly. But we have little option, unless someone has an idea that I cannot see." Austin says, though you know by now that Austin is not stupid, but he is certainly not a strategist.

"I've got this." Baldric says as he starts moving forward, his jaw set with grim determination.

"Let me be takin' anothur prec'tion." Tiberion says as he prays to his god for another miracle in the same fashion as Eithne had.

OK... two rotties, two of you. You each get to roll 4d10 for Mystic Essence (it should have been 3d6, +1 but, you know, drain... stupid arcane sponge!)

With Troben being the big gun of the group, Tiberion casts Protection for Evil and Good on Troben too. If Troby gets taken over by Mourne as Vrod had, that would be very bad for the party... at least in Tiberion's thinking. He's worried more for Remy as she's already shown a tendency to get seduced and he figures that Baldric is likely the safest among them (Though, Aura of Protection is AoE, but it is only 10 foot radius around him).

Second Wind: 0/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben nods, happy with the beatdown to these Rot Monsters. He says, "This is where a nice illusion of the party would come in handy. The best we have is my echo right now. Not that you don't kick ass, big guy! Well, little guy. I forgot this echo is scrawny me."

His echo gives him the finger, eliciting an eye roll from the echo knight. He continues, "Anyway. Thanks for the magic, Tibby. I feel like I can kick a little more ass. Well, a LOT more ass. The biggest thing is to tear down whatever he builds up. Don't be shy about those dispels! Let's go."

Tabletop

Troben doesn't really have any "prep" abilities. So...let's go!

More signs of their continued success crystalized in Eithne's hand. The sign of relief was as genuine as the retching that followed. Truly, once they banish this realm, she was never going to have to smell anything near as bad for the rest of her life. That was the greatest reward of all in her opinion.

"I have the mobility and the mental conditioning from my training as a tender, I could press forward ahead of you. Ideally, I'd outspeed pursuit and weather any mental tricks. I could spring the trap early."

Mechanics

Starry Form: 2.6 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 6 rounds

Protection from Evil and Good on Vrod: 4.7 minutes

Troben raises an eyebrow in surprise and says, "Hey, if you want give it a go, that works. I can send my echo with you just to be safe. Don't worry about him being slow...just do you. And...be careful."

Tabletop