Session 0

Shadowstarr

Campaign and Character Creation  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What level of character creation system would you prefer

• Street-Level Play (less resources / gear)
    • Established Runners (default)
    • Run Faster (Point buy system)
  2. 2. What style of Campaign would you prefer

• Dark, gritty, mature
    • Less serious, mature theme
    • Over the top semi-ridiculous
  3. 3. How new to the shadows would you prefer the Runners be at initially? (this isn't about creation rules)

• New to the shadowlife
    • estabilished runners
    • Veterans

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/30/2023 at 09:00 PM

5 minutes ago, Shadowstarr said:

That said. It seems like we got several street sams, a few flavors of healers, 2 faces, 2 distinct mages, an adept, an infiltrator (I think) , one rigger, and one decker/face. Any new apps may want to consider some of the less represented roles if they want to stand out. Deckers, riggers,

Fair enough. I've got an idea for a Rigger that might work. Gonna focus on Llorona for the time being at least, seeing as it's been a while since I've touched Shadowrun mechanics.

7 minutes ago, Sapphic Reiver said:

Never played a Decker in my life and the last time I tried to gen a Rigger I almost went bald with financial stress. :')

riggers get it rough, and can go broke quickly. I'd like to make repair and recovery of lost drones/vehicles, a bit more reasonable. I kinda think a team "runner van" should be a collective expense rather than just on the driver.

20 minutes ago, Shadowstarr said:

riggers get it rough, and can go broke quickly. I'd like to make repair and recovery of lost drones/vehicles, a bit more reasonable. I kinda think a team "runner van" should be a collective expense rather than just on the driver.

100% agree on the Van. I had a rigger girl based in Vienna for a few years and she was super fun to play, it was just kinda shit to be playing a "famous" character who couldn't even afford a basic drone set-up without being in debt to some shady loansharks.

I was musing with the idea of a Red-Mage who was blind, but I might try and throw up a Rigger/Sam mix of sorts... Can a blind Rigger see through drones?

Edited by Sapphic Reiver (see edit history)

Gotta say, I love the challenge of the low-budget street building, but Ghost-damn is it merciless.

That said, finally back home so I managed to get most of everything done, with the exception of my contacts which I aim to finish tomorrow.

On the topic of rigger-mobiles, I do absolutely agree that it's a team effort and paying for team expenses is a given.

Deckers are definitely hurting by decks being crazy expensive, that said there's ways around that, and the possibility of upgrading, GM permitting, would help, but that's talk for later, imo. And I do prefer it personally to the 4e being a race where whoever throws the most in matrix gear and equipment wins. A good decker with an okay deck is limited by the equipment, granted, but a great deck will not help a bad decker.

22 minutes ago, Sapphic Reiver said:

I was musing with the idea of a Red-Mage who was blind

We appear to be sharing a braincell lol, was thinking of going Red Magic for my mage concept. Whether or not that actually happens, we'll see lol.

Currently working on adapting an old Rigger concept now that Ryoko is done. I've had 2 mostly-unused concepts I've been trying to mash together. But it's the expense that really limits it. A team vehicle being a group expense would be great- though it is part of the Rigger baseline to have a main vehicle that functions as your command center- so it's almost like you have to have it from the start.

But, I have a feeling that once the group is selected- we'll likely have a chance to revamp characters, mesh things well together etc?

3 hours ago, Shadowstarr said:

That said. It seems like we got several street sams, a few flavors of healers, 2 faces, 2 distinct mages, an adept, an infiltrator (I think) , one rigger, and one decker/face. Any new apps may want to consider some of the less represented roles if they want to stand out. Deckers, riggers,

My main char for application is primarily a rigger (moreso a vehicle rigger / techie guy than combat drone rigger. That drek is way too freaking expensive, though I imagine he'll definitely have to adapt to more combat support roles as opposed to either being A) The most expensive runner on the team or B) the 'getaway driver' who sits in the van throughout the whole run 😂)

3 hours ago, Shadowstarr said:

If some of the occupational hazard costs could definitely be collectivized (or just uhh... cheaper for our black market needs 😅)

15 hours ago, Shadowstarr said:

Perhaps there could be a chargen rule where players use X amount of funds to finance a base and/or vehicle?
In a lot of the games I played in of SR the players all went in on a place that was like a base or a safe house.... or we bought some type of van/RV thing and it was a mobile base. Either way the GM then calculated x amount of each players take from a run would be used to finance the group's asset.

39 minutes ago, Essex said:

Perhaps there could be a chargen rule where players use X amount of funds to finance a base and/or vehicle?
In a lot of the games I played in of SR the players all went in on a place that was like a base or a safe house.... or we bought some type of van/RV thing and it was a mobile base. Either way the GM then calculated x amount of each players take from a run would be used to finance the group's asset.

Just make your character with their personal gear , ride whatever. I'll worry about group stuff. The group will have agency to make those decissions ingame.

38 minutes ago, zazamz12 said:

Street level is tough to build for sure, especially if you're not a mage, adept, or some low gear archetype.

A street level street samurai need about 50-75 karma worth of nuyen to be decent, while a mage need about the same amount of karma to get their magic stat at 4. Then, you have to invest in spellcasting, summoning, ascenssing, countersepell... (etc etc) to be able to do your job. it take a shit load of Karma.

And then, you need spells and foci, which cost karma for the first one, then karma AND money for the second one (and focis are pricy on top of it).

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

I'm not masochistic enough to try street level, although I once played in a game where the runners were the absolute legendary elites that had seen it all and done it all, with like double standard start worth of BP/Karma for multiple initiations and general craziness. Wasn't enough points that time either.

I'll admit Ryoko was originally intended to be 'established' but the more I looked at her, the concept etc- I just wanted to try and replicate that "just released into the wild with a lot of knowledge but no *real* experience" sort of feeling with her. It's one thing to play an already established "bad ass", but it's another to grow into becoming one. And in SR I've already played countless already-badasses so this seemed like a nice change. Now normally I wouldn't really try it, I'll admit, because especially on MW things move so slowly and Karma/XP gains are so few and far between. But with the multiplier and the downtime etc- I think it could really work. Yes it puts a lot of faith in the GM and the game but- this one feels a little different than most. :)

And why yes, I would call myself a masochist. ;) LOL

That doesn't mean some of the additional characters I'll put up for consideration won't be established runners though. Though I will admit the "No AIs" did take away one of my most favorite character concepts. Lol