Character Creation Discussion Thread

Hey, my other (other) character concept was a post-apocalyptic one. 😃

On 1/30/2024 at 3:12 PM, Mister Doctor said:

I just love a good opportunity to get weird with it. As much as I am fairly neutral on Spheres content there are a few very narratively interesting options that step well outside of the typical PF1e design paradigm. Options like the Collective Wraith, some of the tech-adjacent stuff (but not the tech sphere), and the options for access to transformation abilities make it much easier to play some of my favorite weird concepts like bizarre post-humans and terrifying mutants.

Yeah, for me too. Whether it's alien critters, a stone-age bee-person cyberpunk scientist, a demon-summoner possessed by an eldritch entity, or a gestalt amalgam of multiple superheroes fused into one body, you can explore some pretty unusual character concepts if given enough sources and a high enough power level to play with.

1 hour ago, TheFred said:

Yeah, for me too. Whether it's alien critters, a stone-age bee-person cyberpunk scientist, a demon-summoner possessed by an eldritch entity, or a gestalt amalgam of multiple superheroes fused into one body, you can explore some pretty unusual character concepts if given enough sources and a high enough power level to play with.

As for me... well, I mean Gestures to my name

I was given full permission to use canon universes in a Multiversal game. How could I possibly resist?

Not the most imaginative or creative character by far, I am going to 100% admit that. But I'm hoping the broad range of utility, as well as the interesting story beats my Jedi brings to the table can help give me a chance of getting invited.

9 hours ago, Mister Doctor said:

The breakdown with an additional category and recounts:

• There are 5 apps for characters coming from an 'Earth'
    • Kevin Crowley (Ulysses Dare)
    • GETE (ME)
    • Jonas Mojżesz Brązowien (Toptomcat)
    • Yuki Shimada (Faeryl_)
    • Krauss Friedrich (Master_Enceladus)
  • There are 6 apps coming from explicitly dead worlds or post-apocalyptic worlds
    • Kevin Crowley (Ulysses Dare)
    • Danika Yvaine (Ratpidgeon)
    • GETE (ME)
    • Krez (Laird Ichofox)
    • Virgil Croy (CRook)
    • Arwendre (djacob91)
  • There are 4 apps that are tied to the fey
    • Lasiga la Veritas/Spark (AdellRazh)
    • Rowan (Illogictree)
    • Denor Talihsiz (namo)
    • Alshirein (Llyarden)
  • There are 4 apps that are partially or entirely constructs
    • Olympia Lovelace (Davkas)
    • Edgtha Sturmrkast (Greathackster)
    • Arwendre (djacob91)
    • Bane of Kree (Rudra)
  • There is only 1 app that is undead/undead adjacent
    • Amara Teldis (Sundust)

Guess Nirvana doesn't warrant its own category (or inclusion)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15528-callie-orbani-blaze-of-hope/

EDIT: Just saw the following post about it not being all-inclusive - just list of common groupings... except for "1" undead it seems.. :-)

1 minute ago, CraziFuzzy said:

Guess Nirvana doesn't warrant its own category (or inclusion)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15528-callie-orbani-blaze-of-hope/

I was just doing the broad thematic things that occurred to me to kill time while I was at work. I'll throw a category up there if you want.

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

I wish I could have put something more in my app but the fact is that he’s a spoiled prince. Maybe I’ll put in more about the backstory of his weapons since they are actually from the various worlds he has visited.

I find it very amusing that Spark is basically the opposite of Rowan - a fey character with an (illusory) humanoid partner instead of a humanoid with a fey partner.

I do want to say, with regard to the discussion on high-powered Spheres games, I feel like those are the only sorts I've ever seen. I've long been considering trying to run a game with Spheres that starts at low levels and uses rules-as-intended. Especially the role of Casting Traditions (and Martial Traditions as well) - using them to define how magic works in the world. There are shades of this in how Rowan's magic works; literally all magic in her homeworld of Annwn works the way hers does.

Good to know i'm not the only one eagerly waiting the results😄

While reading mister doctor category i was like "who's this ME, never seen someone with such short nickname" i had to go check the character, silly me:orcfacepalm:
In my defense, my brain saved capital M + E as Mass Effect

with such crazy, wildly different, alien characters i wonder what kind of relationship the party will form, i havent read them all but alignment/personality wise there is an huge variety, going from Jedi knight(whos probably the goodest thing around) to a mildly sadistic vampire

Yeah, Spheres is always fun for wild character concepts, and doubly so when we throw the race builder and the entirety of the Multiverse into the mix.

As for personalities... well, personality clashes can be a source of drama in-game. There are limits though, you don't want a murder-hobo or a *shudder* kender in your game if the other players aren't down for that.

Obviously many (perhaps even "most") characters are probably beyond such silly concepts as "alignment/morality". Which is obviously why I didn't even bother to give Mira a traditional alignment. Mira's alignment is "I do what I want".

orc4.gif

True enough, and I can easily just assign Neutral/Chaotic Neutral if it should become necessary. I just don't know how much it'll actually come up. How often does one come across enemies with Smite X outside of dedicated campaigns?