Redemption - General Hangout (Everyone Welcome)

Apropos to nothing in particular, but the Svirfette jokes with the Twins in their private thread prompted me to share this with them and now I share with all of you.

smurfs.jpg.197478a7da135835dfa49b06f9c1c674.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I like all things Sting.

I saw the second movie--in IMAX. Overall, I really enjoyed Villanueve's vision. I thought the movie was visually stunning. And where he departed from the novel, I appreciated most of his choices.

I'll save my dislikes for some later date--as they would introduce spoilers.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been suggested that I take this question to the group as a whole, so - I'm currently playing Svirfette with minor penalties in both Wis and Chr with a high Int. The concept is meant to be someone with an ineffective personality due to others not taking her seriously, and an inability to keep her mouth shut without real effort.

Let me know if there are adjustments that need to be made. Those are tricky penalties to get right.

I'll also note that both Zelph and Rum have mentioned specific character traits to show the way they are RPing that are helpful as you guys interact. Torben has a low Int but a decently high Wis, and Rum has mentioned that Rillik struggles with being judgy. I think this all enhances the party's ability to RP well as a group! I highly recommend that all of you mention some foibles that don't involve spoilers for your own chars that can enhance the storytelling as y'all get used to being aorund each other on a regular basis. 😁

33 minutes ago, PixCO said:

It's been suggested that I take this question to the group as a whole, so - I'm currently playing Svirfette with minor penalties in both Wis and Chr with a high Int. The concept is meant to be someone with an ineffective personality due to others not taking her seriously, and an inability to keep her mouth shut without real effort.

Let me know if there are adjustments that need to be made. Those are tricky penalties to get right.

While I understand the concept of having low Wisdom for Svirfette, I'm not entirely convinced that it should be negative. She demonstrates self-awareness and an ability to anticipate the consequences of her actions, suggesting a certain level of insight. Her tendency to speak her mind without restraint seems more like a personality trait rather than an inability to control herself. She doesn't strike me as oblivious; rather, she's cautious and mindful, avoiding reckless behaviors like kicking down doors in a thieves' guild without checking for traps. I would suggest a score between 10 and 12 for Wisdom.

Similarly, my opinion on her Charisma aligns with yours. Charisma reflects one's force of personality, and Svirfette appears far from unremarkable or plain. She exudes vibrancy, communicates effectively, and is generally pleasant to be around. While she may not possess a particularly powerful charisma, she certainly doesn't give off an inept vibe either. I would place her Charisma score between 10 and 13, but with personality flaws.

3 minutes ago, Harding said:

While I understand the concept of having low Wisdom for Svirfette, I'm not entirely convinced that it should be negative. She demonstrates self-awareness and an ability to anticipate the consequences of her actions, suggesting a certain level of insight. Her tendency to speak her mind without restraint seems more like a personality trait rather than an inability to control herself. She doesn't strike me as oblivious; rather, she's cautious and mindful, avoiding reckless behaviors like kicking down doors in a thieves' guild without checking for traps. I would suggest a score between 10 and 12 for Wisdom.

Similarly, my opinion on her Charisma aligns with yours. Charisma reflects one's force of personality, and Svirfette appears far from unremarkable or plain. She exudes vibrancy, communicates effectively, and is generally pleasant to be around. While she may not possess a particularly powerful charisma, she certainly doesn't give off an inept vibe either. I would place her Charisma score between 10 and 13, but with personality flaws.

It's the -1 threshold that's problematic for me. Something severe like a -5 penalty is cartoonish enough to justify door-kicking, but where's the cutoff for -1? Just slightly more foolish than the average Svirf'. I'll work on dialing that in.

Charisma could be a much more fun conversation, though. How easy would it be for her to convince a crowd to follow some action if they didn't know who she was? Or, for that matter, they've been around her long enough to know that she's often wrong.

Wisdom:

1 (–5): Seemingly incapable of thought, barely aware

2-3 (–4): Rarely notices important or prominent items, people, or occurrences

4-5 (–3): Seemingly incapable of forethought

6-7 (–2): Often fails to exert common sense

8-9 (–1): Forgets or opts not to consider options before taking action

10-11 (0): Makes reasoned decisions most of the time

12-13 (1): Able to tell when a person is upset

14-15 (2): Reads people and situations fairly well. Can get hunches about a situation that doesn’t feel right

16-17 (3): Often used as a source of wisdom or decider of actions

18-19 (4): Reads people and situations very well, almost unconsciously

20 (5): Nearly prescient, able to reason far beyond logic

Charisma:

1 (–5): Barely conscious, probably acts very alien. May have a presence which repels other people.

2-3 (–4): Minimal independent thought, relies heavily on others to think instead

4-5 (–3): Has trouble thinking of others as people and how to interact with them

6-7 (–2): Terribly reticent, uninteresting, or rude

8-9 (–1): Something of a bore, makes people mildly uncomfortable or simply clumsy in conversation

10-11 (0): Capable of polite conversation

12-13 (1): Mildly interesting. Knows what to say to the right people

14-15 (2): Often popular or infamous. Knows what to say to most people and is very confident in debate

16-17 (3): Quickly likeable, respected or feared by many people. May be very eloquent. Good at getting their will when talking to people

18-19 (4): Quickly likeable, respected or feared by almost everybody. Can entertain people easily or knows how to effectively convince them of their own beliefs and arguments

20 (5): Renowned for wit, personality, and/or looks. May be a natural born leader

Okay, let's go with Roland:

Str: 16 Roland is naturally strong, and didn't need much effort in his life to develop his strength. He take pride in it. He can easily lift the side of a cart without sweating it

Dex: 10 He never developped this dexterity: He never trained much into the skills requiring dexterity. He was a con artist, not a thief. His large size doesn't help too.

Con: 14 Enough to be a good soldier, within city walls.

Int: 12 Sharp mind, but nothing extraordinary.

Wis: 12 Clever, but still prone to lack of judgement.

Cha: 16 Despite his sometimes rude manners, he's a very lovable person. Not especially physically attractive (cute, but not gorgeous), but he can sway people easily if he put the effort. Was a good leader as a guard, inspiring, an artist as a manipulator (he fooled an entire corps of Watchmen after all, for years). He doesn't show his presence much so far, because he is deeply self doubting himself and relucant to use his force of personality by fear of causing harm again.

It is to note that he's a fighter battlemaster, and most of his maneuvers are based on command/teamwork. Also have the inspiring leader feat, but didn't find a good moment/way to use it yet. I can't see him right now giving you inspiring speech every rest - it would feel awkward. He can, but he won't...

But so far, not much has been done to let me show you the full potential of the character as a charismatic/leader kind of person. There would be a good moment, but we are not there yet - he need to kick out of the self loathing.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

And here a heads of on the traits I choosen for the character:

Personality traits:

- Charismatic: "I sway the heart of the others easier than my sword.''

- Quick witted and clever ''I have the right word and plans when needed. The rest, I trust my improvisational instinct to compensate.

- Emotionally scarred: ''I've been mistreated all my life. Yet, I also caused so much misery for other people. Maybe it was really what I deserve...''

- Dutiful: ''Years as a guard taught me many things: Honor, friendship and discipline. I must held to these principles, even if they clash against everything else I learned to rely in life. In the end, I must do the right thing.''

Ideals:

- Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever.

- Aspiration. I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.

Bonds:

- Wherever I go, I still think about the sweet tavern wench Rosiane. I wonder how she's doing...

- I owe Hyustus Staget a great debt for forging me into the person I am today, and giving me a chance to become more.

Flaws

- I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.

- I’m a sucker for a pretty face.

- I'm very reserved. I prefer a web of lie than talking about my true self and my true feelings.

They were the one originally taken at the beginning of the game, but the character is evolving already because of people and events.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

Oh, good idea.

Str: 10 She's little and was never going to be a powerlifter anyway, so no focus on strength.
Dex: 17 The only reason The Guild even gave her a shot. She's naturally agile and quiet, which has been honed.
Con: 14 She's a survivor.
Int: 16 The only reason Dillworthy even gave her a shot after failing with The Guild. This is being honed as well, but is a step behind her Dex.
Wis: 10 I forgot that we dropped the penalty from this one. Ah, right.
Crh: 8 Specifically so that she would have to struggle to convince anyone of anything, but not so that she would be a bore.

Part of the problem with Wis is that we went with an Int driven interpretation of Perception and Insight. Less intuitive and more of a learned trait.

And Traits:

• Personality Traits: I know enemies are set against me, and I always prepare for the worst. (Flames, Rogue)
  • Ideals: Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone. (Good)
  • Bonds: Someone I loved died because of I mistake I made. That will never happen again.
  • Flaws: If there's a plan, I'll forget it. If I don't forget it, I'll ignore it.