City of Monsters Redux - OOC

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how often it'll come up (if at all), but I added Brianna's Paladin Code to my IC post format. Kinda makes me wonder just what "respecting individual/personal liberty" or "uses [your] help for lawful or evil ends" mean in this context. I know we want to interpret things like this as liberally as possible, but I'm curious what the intended meaning might be.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I think y'all have largely solved the crime: it was Zaj'Durnakh, with help from some hired mercenaries (hell hounds), while trying to fame the ettercaps. But, you're having a little trouble proving it and getting any help out of Narlvog Sorgchen, and you don't really understand the motives behind this. So, I'll just throw you a bone here. I gave most of this information to @HydroGuy in a private box, but I'll just give it to everyone now:

• Narlvog was parasitized by a xill larva a year ago, and he survived the ordeal. He's dubbed this a 'new sacrament' for his pain cult, a chance to prove their mettle.
  • Many of Narlvog's strongest followers are attempting to emulate him by letting the xill lay eggs in their bodies. None of them have yet survived the process, and those who fail are turned into half-golems (like the ones you fought in the temple).
  • The xills also parasitized Lady Groak's body, apparently anticipating her being raised from the dead and hoping to force her to undergo the 'new sacrament' too.

You don't really know why they want Lady Groak to undergo the sacrament. But maybe Narlvog's statement, "all are tested in the crucible of adversity," is a clue. Perhaps he's taken it upon himself to administer a test of her worthiness to lead the monsters of Port Callan? Or, perhaps he's trying to blackmail her or strong-arm her into something, since he and she don't see eye-to-eye on the subject of monster-human relations. Of course, now you've got to prove it, either by getting Narlvog himself to admit it, or squeezing it out of Methag.