Character Creation Discussion

@Phntm888 Another question, pretty set on the Summoner at this point ... but not sure on the Background. I noted you mentioned that only Kingmaker or Common backgrounds can be used. Feybound fit's my background, given that her Beast EIdolon is essentially, a fae protector from the 1st world ... but it is Rare ... now I could take Kingdom Outcast ... say she hid out in the Lost Prince's court for a few years to avoid the Disappearance and now she is back, Cernunnos in tow, to seek her fortune ... so either work but before it's set I figured I would ask ...

Avoiding the flaws, is that a standard option or something you'd need to ask GM permission for?

Yes, inventor first is one of the suggestions I briefly laid out, you're not actually presenting a disagreement unless you're saying that's the only option.

Hello, everyone! And Hello @Phntm888.

I've started work on a bard. I should have the chance to finish him up by some time tomorrow.

Part of his concept is that he is the illegitimate son of a Brevic nobleman. I've looked over the Houses of Brevoy on the Pathfinder Wiki, but thought I'd ask if you have suggestions as to who Corven's father might be? That way you could pick a nobleman that is suitable and useful to the story. Corven's a young man, so a middle-aged or older character would work.

I started him as a Human, with cooperative nature, and planning on going into wit swashbuckler for the free archetype.

Same character background, I could also see him as a Fetchling with the Shadowcaster archetype. It'd fit his concept as a witch's son and outcast scion of a nobleman.

I know some GMs aren't fond of extensive use of Aid, but the other option requires you to greenlight some uncommon options. Does either one appeal more?

Edited by Hamsterpillar (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

@Phntm888 if I were to play an alchemist (instead of the druid I proposed), how would that work come August with the remastered alchemist coming out?

I would give you the option of rebuilding g the character using the Remastered version.

12 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

I'm interested, but I have no experience with Pathfinder 2e at all...I've got a vague concept in mind of a lizardfolk/iruxi, raised by river traders, who became fascinated with machinery after spending long hours at a human-made watermill. They'd be fond of invention and building things, using a crossbow in battle, and their goals would be focused around securing a river or other trade route to allow goods and people to flow back and forth, and establish a solid industry or trade of some sort, while at the same time maintaining his home tribe/village's animist traditions and keeping the environment in good health.

What kind of class would be appropriate for that sort of thing? Mechanically-minded with a side of environmentalism-spiritualism?

Inventor is definitely the best fit for something mechanically minded. For a side of environmentalism-spiritualism, there are a few Nature-oriented archetypes that might work. Go ahead and make your character creation thread, and we can talk some more there.

5 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

@Phntm888 Another question, pretty set on the Summoner at this point ... but not sure on the Background. I noted you mentioned that only Kingmaker or Common backgrounds can be used. Feybound fit's my background, given that her Beast EIdolon is essentially, a fae protector from the 1st world ... but it is Rare ... now I could take Kingdom Outcast ... say she hid out in the Lost Prince's court for a few years to avoid the Disappearance and now she is back, Cernunnos in tow, to seek her fortune ... so either work but before it's set I figured I would ask ...

Write up the summoner’s narrative backstory, and I will consider the Feybound background.

3 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

Avoiding the flaws, is that a standard option or something you'd need to ask GM permission for?

It is a standard option, no GM permission needed.

3 hours ago, jkason said:

Would you be opposed to a Kitsune? Looking at a trickster-y concept in general, so my brain drifts there.

Kitsune aren’t commonly encountered in this region. Sell me on how the Kitsune got there, and you’re good.

2 hours ago, Hamsterpillar said:

Hello, everyone! And Hello @Phntm888.

I've started work on a bard. I should have the chance to finish him up by some time tomorrow.

Part of his concept is that he is the illegitimate son of a Brevic nobleman. I've looked over the Houses of Brevoy on the Pathfinder Wiki, but thought I'd ask if you have suggestions as to who Corven's father might be? That way you could pick a nobleman that is suitable and useful to the story. Corven's a young man, so a middle-aged or older character would work.

I started him as a Human, with cooperative nature, and planning on going into wit swashbuckler for the free archetype.

Same character background, I could also see him as a Fetchling with the Shadowcaster archetype. It'd fit his concept as a witch's son and outcast scion of a nobleman.

I know some GMs aren't fond of extensive use of Aid, but the other option requires you to greenlight some uncommon options. Does either one appeal more?

None of the Brevic noblemen feature prominently in the AP. You can choose any of them. I don’t have any issues with Aid.

@Avaday Daydream Given that you can avoid the intelligence flaws, I'd say that makes a lizardfolk with inventor as their base class just that much more solid then.

I wonder if the two Iruxi would be from the same tribe, or have contacts in common? Assuming both end up in the campaign of course, I'd be very open to working out any details if you want.

Small question for @Phntm888: in the thread, Character Creation, you request for our character sheet to be either Myth-Weavers, Pathbuilder, or typed up in a post.

So in addition to that, Pathbuilder can export a pdf file which can be turned into an image file of the character sheet. As an example, I have posted such an image file in my character submission thread: https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15323-chissek-longtooth-iruxi-untamed-druid/&do=findComment&comment=206661

Does this format work for you? Is that something other players should consider as well?

Honestly, just the link to the Build is easier, if the GM wants to print a copy of the sheet they can. Or they can just math check the build and make sure everything adds up ... at least that's what I did. Of course, depending whether they are using the free version or the paid version, will impact their ability to save it. Since Free Archetype & Pets are only on the paid version.

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

Small question for @Phntm888: in the thread, Character Creation, you request for our character sheet to be either Myth-Weavers, Pathbuilder, or typed up in a post.

So in addition to that, Pathbuilder can export a pdf file which can be turned into an image file of the character sheet. As an example, I have posted such an image file in my character submission thread: https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15323-chissek-longtooth-iruxi-untamed-druid/&do=findComment&comment=206661

Does this format work for you? Is that something other players should consider as well?

I just need it in some form that can be easily referenced if I need to bot a PC. The image file works, or attaching the PDF Stat Block that can be exported from Pathbuilder. MW sheets or typed up in a post are just easiest because I can link them directly to the campaign.

11 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Ciaran is now done, I will work on posting template and personality, but a brief background is up, explaining the Fey-bound Background ...

I've provided you with a bit of feedback on it. I'm not rejecting the Feybound Background, but I do need you to do a bit more to sell me on it being essential to the character.

Making progress, but I think I've hit a mental snag; a repeating crossbow seems like something that would be on-brand for an inventor (or someone taking the inventor archetype), but they're classified as advanced weapons*Except the heavy repeating crossbow, but that one still requires you to reload after each shot, so it's no better than a regular crossbow if you have Crossbow Ace..., and as far as I can see, there's no way for the inventor to become expert with advanced weapons, or even proficient at all without a general feat? Is there something I'm missing?

Also, @Blaeringr, I doubt Chissek and Kuhri would be from the same tribe (I imagine Riverdell as being just on the edge of human civilization), but it's entirely possible that they were on the same river or trade route.

19 minutes ago, Avaday Daydream said:

@Blaeringr, I doubt Chissek and Kuhri would be from the same tribe (I imagine Riverdell as being just on the edge of human civilization), but it's entirely possible that they were on the same river or trade route.

@Avaday Daydream that's fine. Still possible they knew each other. The Iruxi tribes in general have contact with each other, and Chissek especially got around on foot a lot (and fin being an aquatically adapted aka wetland lizardfolk). And besides, who better to convince Chissek to check out this wonky human endeavor than a fellow Iruxi who lives closer to the humans.

I'm sure Kuhri talked a lot about windmills last time Chissek stopped by Kuhri's tribe at Riverdell, and made the point it was worth visiting a human city just to see the windmills alone.

Besides, if the humans are expanding into the Stolen Lands, someone needs to represent Iruxi interests.

Next thing you know, Kuhri's introducing Chissek to someone set to get a charter settling the Stolen Lands, frog's your uncle, gecko's your aunt, before you know it they're in Brevoy at some fancy colonizers' dinner where Chissek's sitting with his plate on the floor, refusing to eat with a fork, and the human ladies are gossiping about the savage whom one party has managed to procure for their expedition and how truly scandelous but also thrilling it all is!

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)