Character Creation Discussion

14 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

Making progress, but I think I've hit a mental snag; a repeating crossbow seems like something that would be on-brand for an inventor (or someone taking the inventor archetype), but they're classified as advanced weapons*Except the heavy repeating crossbow, but that one still requires you to reload after each shot, so it's no better than a regular crossbow if you have Crossbow Ace..., and as far as I can see, there's no way for the inventor to become expert with advanced weapons, or even proficient at all without a general feat? Is there something I'm missing?

Unfortunately, you are not missing something. There are not a lot of ways to gain access and proficiency to Advanced weapons. It's one of the major flaws of the system, and I don't know if they've resolved that issue in the Remaster.

Given that the Repeating Crossbow is 15 gp, it isn't particularly affordable at level 1, and the Uncommon rating means you either need a feat to gain access to it or permission from the GM to purchase it, anyway. Why don't you put it on the character's wish list, for now, and if you get in, we'll see if we can find a way to make it work?

3 hours ago, Phntm888 said:

Unfortunately, you are not missing something. There are not a lot of ways to gain access and proficiency to Advanced weapons. It's one of the major flaws of the system, and I don't know if they've resolved that issue in the Remaster.

Given that the Repeating Crossbow is 15 gp, it isn't particularly affordable at level 1, and the Uncommon rating means you either need a feat to gain access to it or permission from the GM to purchase it, anyway. Why don't you put it on the character's wish list, for now, and if you get in, we'll see if we can find a way to make it work?

Well, the plan was basically 'get to level 2, get the inventor archetype, use the free Inventor feat (that's its name) to research the formula/s for repeating crossbows and then build one', but apparently said feat can only actually 'invent' common formulas, which 99% of the time will overlap with a 1 sp basic crafter's book...

I thought it'd be a thematically appropriate weapon of choice for a character who loves mechanical constructions and things that spin and go bonk.

1 hour ago, Avaday Daydream said:

Well, the plan was basically 'get to level 2, get the inventor archetype, use the free Inventor feat (that's its name) to research the formula/s for repeating crossbows and then build one', but apparently said feat can only actually 'invent' common formulas, which 99% of the time will overlap with a 1 sp basic crafter's book...

I thought it'd be a thematically appropriate weapon of choice for a character who loves mechanical constructions and things that spin and go bonk.

Alchemical and Magic Items also require formulas, which have to be purchased. The Inventor feat just allows you to "invent" the formula for those items without having to find someone selling the formula in question.

Uncommon items can also be allowed through other means. Like I said, don't worry about it at level 1. If your character is chosen, we'll work out a way to get you access to the repeating crossbow.

Came up with it on my own. But it seems very much in line with Erastil's beliefs. Very much an encourager of "don't start trouble, but be ready to finish it" behavior, like the protagonists in old Westerns.

1 hour ago, Lex Samreeth said:

Came up with it on my own. But it seems very much in line with Erastil's beliefs. Very much an encourager of "don't start trouble, but be ready to finish it" behavior, like the protagonists in old Westerns.

That's cool. It does feel like that. Has a nice dramatic tension contained in it.

I'm back on the Weave from a 5 year hiatus. I now have more free time in my life and would love to jump into a game. However this new coding is a bit of a learning curve?

Are you alright with an RPG vet but tech noob throwing their hat in the ring?

The new MW editor is 95% hot garbage. I've found that the best way to format things for us old-timers it to log on to OGMW, make a post and format it nicely (you can send a PM to yourself if you need to). Then copy the post from outside of the editor. Like the actual message as you see it in the thread or your mailbox or whatnot. Then paste that into the editor on new crappy MW.

New crappy MW will format the post for you the same way you had it set up on OGMW. After that, just clone the post in new MW.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:31 PM, saithor said:

Edit: NVM, for some reason i though Suli was an Ancestry and not a heritage. Would Tiefling be alright as a Heritage?

Yes, that will be fine.

19 hours ago, Alterangel said:

I'm back on the Weave from a 5 year hiatus. I now have more free time in my life and would love to jump into a game. However this new coding is a bit of a learning curve?

Are you alright with an RPG vet but tech noob throwing their hat in the ring?

That’s alright. I can help you with formatting questions, and there is actually a VBCode to new MW tool that can help with that, as well. Also, if you have any experience with HTML, you can click the Source button and edit the post via HTML.

@Phntm888 Having been struggling to come up with a sufficiently appealing character concept, I am currently considering a Hellknight (or a prospective one at any rate). The idea that a wild, unruly place like the Stolen Lands would greatly benefit from having some lawfulness imposed on it seems quite in keeping with the Hellknights' modus operandi, especially the Order of the Nail's.

In mechanical terms a character only embarks properly on the road towards Hellknight-hood once they have taken the Armiger archetype, and it might be hard to explain/justify the character's gradual rising through the ranks when they are spending their time in the Stolen Lands, pretty much the middle of nowhere. Then there's the fact that the Hellknights are an infamously authoritarian lot; on this subject I will say that I am well aware of the can of worms labelled "evil and/or Lawful Stupid PCs", and that I like to think I am capable of playing such a character without ruining the game for anyone. But of course, that's a claim anyone could make!

All of that being said, do you think that the concept is fundamentally workable regardless, or should I return to the drawing board while there's still time?

@Dybrar There have been a lot of submissions aimed towards respect for the natural world and working with nature, as opposed to the idea of bringing civilization to or imposing lawfulness on the Stolen Lands. I'm not so sure the Order of the Nail's philosophy (or Hellknight philosophy at large) would be a particularly good fit with a prospective group in that regards. Of all the Hellknight Orders, the Order of the Pike would likely be the one with the best potential fit. They're also closest, seeing as one of the places they operate out of is Fort Inevitable in the River Kingdoms. If you want to pursue the Hellknight path, I'd go with the Order of the Pike. Otherwise, I would suggest a return to the drawing board.

I'm interested in throwing my hat into this ring.

Ive never played any edition of Pathfinder, but I have played Dnd 1st-5th, Traveller, Shadowrun, CoC, etc.

I've also participated in numerous PBP games over the years using various systems.

I've read through the Kingmaker PG that was posted and downloaded a copy of the PF Rulebook.

I have a couple character concepts in mind. I'll get something posted by end of day.