Character Creation Discussion

1 hour ago, RagallachMC said:

I'm interested in throwing my hat into this ring.

Ive never played any edition of Pathfinder, but I have played Dnd 1st-5th, Traveller, Shadowrun, CoC, etc.

I've also participated in numerous PBP games over the years using various systems.

I've read through the Kingmaker PG that was posted and downloaded a copy of the PF Rulebook.

I have a couple character concepts in mind. I'll get something posted by end of day.

Welcome! I'd also suggest making use of some of the really great online resources that are out there, such as Archives of Nethys, which has all the Pathfinder Rules content, and Pathbuilder, which is a very good character builder.

I look forward to seeing what you submit!

2 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

@RagallachMC hope you enjoy your experience with pf2e. I'm personally very fond of the system, and Paizo's efforts to build a good brand with the community.

Indeed! I started playing PF2e new early last year, and really like it. It has just the right level of tactics in combat for me, as well as meaningful character choices. And so many intriguing classes. I'm typically drawn to one or two classes in an rpg, but I want to eventually play most of the ones available in this game.

The Kingmaker adventure path itself is also very highly regarded by the community.

@RagallachMC Welcome! This is actually my first time trying out Pathfinder 2e too.

It's taken me a bit to pick up on the rules and character creation, but so far, the main things I've picked up are:

1. The game uses the same d20 system as D&D and Pathfinder; roll a dice, add modifiers, see if it hits a DC. You get a Critical Success if your roll exceeds the DC by 10 or more, and a Critical Failure if your roll is below the DC by 10 or more. Natural 1s and 20s aren't auto-fails/successes, but increase your degree of failure or success by 1 (Critical Failure, Failure, Success, Critical Success). A 'flat check' is a check that adds no modifiers (just a straight d20 roll) and functionally replaces percentile dice from PF1/D&D 3.5.

2. Most stats are governed by proficiencies; you can be proficient in armor types, weapon types, saving throws, perception, skills, spell attacks and class DCs. If you're at least trained in a thing, in addition to getting a +2 to all rolls for that thing, you add your total level to all rolls for that thing. Being an Expert in a skill or saving throw or etc will give you a +4 instead of +2.

3. Your character's Ancestry is basically their race; when you choose an Ancestry, you also get to choose a heritage (like 5e's subraces) and get a free ancestry feat.
3.1 Your Background is a bit like D&D 5e Background too; you choose one, you get some ability boosts, a couple of free skills, a free feat, and potentially a special feature.

4. Rather than rolling for ability scores or point buy, you generate ability scores using 'boosts'. Each boost is worth a +2 to an ability score (and each flaw is worth -2).
You start with 10 in all scores; your race will typically boost three ability scores, two being predetermined and one you can apply to any of the other four abilities, and an ability flaw.
Then, your background will let you boost two ability scores, one of which is predetermined by the background. Then, your class will give you a predetermined ability score boost.
Finally, you'll get four more free boosts, which all have to be applied to different ability scores.

...Hmm, what else is important?

Hi @Phntm888! I was on the fence about trying again with Kingmaker after the last game I was in collapsed. But I got to thinking how fun my character was and figured I'd throw him in the ring again. His app thread is still a work in progress, since I think the previous game was using the ancestral paragon rules that give extra ancestry feats. So a couple odds and ends to tweak and details to add like an Edict and Anathema. Should be done soon though.

The game remains playable after level 12, so that's nice 😅 even more so with the upcoming mythic rules for pf2e.

Paizo, with all their little flaws and foibles, is just a better company in every way than Hasbro/WoTC. Their employees unionized just a few years ago, and Paizo welcomed the union with open arms. I personally feel better about supporting them.

17 minutes ago, Kistler said:

Hi @Phntm888! I was on the fence about trying again with Kingmaker after the last game I was in collapsed. But I got to thinking how fun my character was and figured I'd throw him in the ring again. His app thread is still a work in progress, since I think the previous game was using the ancestral paragon rules that give extra ancestry feats. So a couple odds and ends to tweak and details to add like an Edict and Anathema. Should be done soon though.

Hi, Kistler! Just let me know when it's done and I'll review it.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:41 PM, Phntm888 said:

@Dybrar There have been a lot of submissions aimed towards respect for the natural world and working with nature, as opposed to the idea of bringing civilization to or imposing lawfulness on the Stolen Lands. I'm not so sure the Order of the Nail's philosophy (or Hellknight philosophy at large) would be a particularly good fit with a prospective group in that regards. Of all the Hellknight Orders, the Order of the Pike would likely be the one with the best potential fit. They're also closest, seeing as one of the places they operate out of is Fort Inevitable in the River Kingdoms. If you want to pursue the Hellknight path, I'd go with the Order of the Pike. Otherwise, I would suggest a return to the drawing board.

My thinking was that founding a kingdom (or indeed any sort of nation) in the Stolen Lands by definition involves establishing a degree of civilisation, but your point is taken. :)

Edited by Dybrar (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

@RagallachMC Welcome! This is actually my first time trying out Pathfinder 2e too.

It's taken me a bit to pick up on the rules and character creation, but so far, the main things I've picked up are:

1. The game uses the same d20 system as D&D and Pathfinder; roll a dice, add modifiers, see if it hits a DC. You get a Critical Success if your roll exceeds the DC by 10 or more, and a Critical Failure if your roll is below the DC by 10 or more. Natural 1s and 20s aren't auto-fails/successes, but increase your degree of failure or success by 1 (Critical Failure, Failure, Success, Critical Success). A 'flat check' is a check that adds no modifiers (just a straight d20 roll) and functionally replaces percentile dice from PF1/D&D 3.5.

2. Most stats are governed by proficiencies; you can be proficient in armor types, weapon types, saving throws, perception, skills, spell attacks and class DCs. If you're at least trained in a thing, in addition to getting a +2 to all rolls for that thing, you add your total level to all rolls for that thing. Being an Expert in a skill or saving throw or etc will give you a +4 instead of +2.

3. Your character's Ancestry is basically their race; when you choose an Ancestry, you also get to choose a heritage (like 5e's subraces) and get a free ancestry feat.
3.1 Your Background is a bit like D&D 5e Background too; you choose one, you get some ability boosts, a couple of free skills, a free feat, and potentially a special feature.

4. Rather than rolling for ability scores or point buy, you generate ability scores using 'boosts'. Each boost is worth a +2 to an ability score (and each flaw is worth -2).
You start with 10 in all scores; your race will typically boost three ability scores, two being predetermined and one you can apply to any of the other four abilities, and an ability flaw.
Then, your background will let you boost two ability scores, one of which is predetermined by the background. Then, your class will give you a predetermined ability score boost.
Finally, you'll get four more free boosts, which all have to be applied to different ability scores.

...Hmm, what else is important?

-Overall it has a different feel from PF1e in that there are fewer 'you must build your character this way to have the Good Stats' type choices. Much harder to build a 'bad' character, so there's a lot of freedom to choose flavorful stuff. Compared to 5E it is more tactically rich in combat, and I think most classes can do more/have more options than a 5E character. (I've only played a little 5E to be fair)

-This system is viewed as being 'very tight' with regards to the underlying math. Everything is scaled together with level and no longer do you get characters with +32AC alongside ones with +16AC at level 7. Normally your highest and lowest AC/Saves between characters are never more than about 6 apart, at least at the levels I've played. Maybe up in the rarified air above 6 it shifts more.

-Debuffs are simplified from earlier editions of Pathfinder and D&D. No more do you subtract dex bonus to AC when flat-footed. It's just -2 AC. And it's called 'Off-guard' now.

-Flanked? Off-guard. Prone? Off-guard. Uneven terrain? Off guard. Feinted? Off-guard. Those conditions don't stack (see Tight Math above). The main debuffs you'll see early are off-guard and Frightened (typically from a Demoralize action). There's also sickened (- to everything), Enfeebled (- to strength), Clumsy (- to dex), stupefied (- to mental), and drained (- to con). (they don't actually change stats, just everything based on those stats, which is way simpler). Those are the common ones at least.

-There are no opposed rolls, everything is supposed to be a roll against a DC. Occasionally people houserule stuff to have opposing rolls, like when a player wants to hold a door closed. But that should really be something like "the pusher rolls athletics against the fort DC (or athletics dc) of the holder with a +2 circumstance bonus for the door". And yes, skills can be used as DCs too.

-Perception isn't treated as a skill, it's actually one of your saves. Feats to improve saves are largely gone, so they're only improved by truly arbitrary proficiency boosts dependent on class alone (wish there was more flavor and flexibility in that system personally). With that feat above you can improve your worst save, but never your best or even the ones in the middle. See 'tight math'.

-Each +1 is expanding crit range, not just chance to hit/succeed. So +1 stuff is pretty controlled, and expected/necessary with regard to weapon runes vis a vis enemy stats. See 'Tight Math'

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

Quick Announcement

Please do not request to Join the Game. If you want to follow the game and make sure you get updates, just click the "Follow" button on the game's landing page. Once I have made my selections, I will invite people to join the game.

From the Character Creation topic:

"Ancestries: All Common Ancestries and Heritages may be chosen, as can Androids, Beastkin, Kobold, Leshy, Lizardfolk, and Ratfolk. Other Uncommon Ancestries and Versatile Heritages will be allowed on a case-by-case basis, and other Rare Ancestries and Versatile Heritages will not be allowed"